Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 47776 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »

Chapter 11

“Move!” Rowahn yelled to the droid as the freighter began blasting at them. There was no cover to be seen, but they did their best to avoid getting killed. After the first volley the ship did not come back for another. Rowahn could still hear engines, though they were much smaller, and sounded nothing like the engines of a freighter.  Looking up he saw what it was.

“Of course they have jetpacks.” he stated as they continued to run. Soon the mercenaries where close enough to begin firing. Rowahn stopped running, and activated his lightsaber, trying to deflect the blasts back at them, or at least away from himself. Once again he could hear the song of battle rising within him as he swung his saber. But even with the music, he could not concentrate, and Rowahn was barely able to anticipate where the blasts would land. What’s different? He thought as he struggled to keep himself alive.

Soon Caedon and the two mercenaries where on the ground. Both the kiffar and the human had electrostaves, and Caedon had a vibrosword. They quickly attacked, and again Rowahn had trouble keeping up with their attacks. They had surrounded him on three sides, and he was wearing down quickly.

The human hit him in the arm, successfully numbing it. Rowahn quickly channelled Force healing into the arm trying to regain its mobility, but in doing so, it took his attention off the kiffar for a split second too long, giving him the opportunity to smash him in the face. Rowahn stumbled backwards as the three mercenaries moved in again. His helmet was cracked from the hit, and he still wasn’t used to how it fit.

The human was a few steps behind Caedon and the kiffar, and as soon as they attacked, the human leaped into the air, using his jetpack to give him some height, trying to get a hit in from above. Rowahn reached out and ripped the jetpack off the man’s back with the Force, causing him to drop. The fall didn’t kill him, but it did stun the human. Once again, Rowahn’s divided attention had opened him up to attacks from the other two.

Barely he managed to block Caedon’s sword, but the kiffar’s low strike was unavoidable. The staff struck the back of his legs knocking them out from beneath him. Rowahn avoided hitting the ground by quickly doing a Force augmented backflip, but his legs still stung from the strike. He was still alive, but fighting hard to do so. Why is it so hard? He wondered as he felt the sweat slide down his face. He could feel his breathing begin to cause condensation inside his helmet. The sun was hot, and the extra gravity was interfering with his fighting. That must be it. But that couldn’t be it. He’d been trained for this this type of situation. He had been trained to be able to adapt to whatever the gravity was like in any given location. He’d also been trained to function and adapt in any temperature as well. It wasn’t like he’d never been on a warm planet before, or even on a warm planet with high gravity. That could not be the problem, but what was it.

Rowahn’s thoughts had caused him to miss the entrance of the iktotchi, giving Caedon and his crew another advantage. As the three attacked Rowahn, he was hard pressed to even focus on one, let alone three. Suddenly, there was a fourth. The human had recovered, and was back in the battle. Rowahn was just starting to get the feeling back in his arm when he missed blocking a strike from the kiffar, and it struck his leg. His leg deadened, and he almost dropped. Sending every ounce of Force energy into a single blast of healing directed towards his leg. The massive blast of healing rejuvenated his leg instantly causing Rowahn to be able to catch himself before he went down.

He had just switched his Force energy to healing, and no longer could rely on it for protection, so Rowahn quickly went full defensive mode, and began retreating step by step. Soon his leg was able to be used on its own, and so the Inquisitor switched back to attacking. This time he made sure he knew where all four of the mercenaries were, keeping an especially close eye on Ti-Rell. Spinning, Rowahn created a quick blade barrier, causing all four attackers to jump back out of the way. The kiffar had missed his footing as he tried to avoid Rowahn’s swing, and as he tripped, Rowahn took the opportunity to Force blast him back out of the battle. Once again, the pause in his defenses had been just long enough for the iktotchi to get another strike in. This time he bashed him in the back of the head with his electrostaff, causing Rowahn to fall forward.

Rohawn could feel cool air on the back on his head where the staff had cracked open his helmet. It was loose enough now that though it was still providing protection, it was no longer staying in one position, and blocking his vision off. Making a lightning fast decision, Rowahn leaped into the air, using the Force to lend power to his legs. As he flew into the air above the heads of the mercenaries, he ripped his helmet free, and threw it back down towards the human. Aided by strong gravity and the Force, the helmet flew almost too fast for the man to see. He raised his staff to block it, but the power with which it flew knocked the man back.

As Rowahn fell back to the ground, he could feel the wind in his face, whipping his hair around, and generally causing him to look awesome. The remaining mercenaries moved out of the way as Rowahn landed. Looking up with his eyes before raising his head and standing straight, Rowahn could see the iktotchi and pantoran watching him closely. Then Caedon spoke.

“Finally, the face of the traitor is revealed.”

Rowahn didn’t say anything, he just smiled, then threw himself back into the battle. Instantly he could feel a battle song rising upward inside him. He felt nearly invincible now. The mercenaries didn’t stand a chance. Out of the corner of his eye, Rowahn could see Forty-Three sitting beside the kiffar, electro-shock prodding him everytime he moved. The thought made him laugh inside as he flew into the two remaining mercs. The iktotchi fell to a quick uppercut, and then it was just Caedon versus Rowahn once again. Caedon tried hard to defend, and had it been against any other opponent, he probably would have succeeded. However, Rowahn wasn’t just any other opponent. He was a member of the Imperial Inquisitorius, and an apprentice to Darth Vader himself. True, he had been cast out, but he would be welcomed back when he finally caught up with Jord, and delivered her lightsaber safely to the Empire.

A quick left-handed forward strike, and then a neck wrap bringing his saber to his a reverse grip in his right hand, Rowahn turned once more, and with a eclypse spin, he disarmed Caedon, knocking him to the ground.

“Remember Ethan Playn?” Rowahn yelled at the pantoran. “Remember all the thousands of others that you have killed just for the money? You didn’t deserve to live before, but still I let you! But instead of fleeing when you had the chance, you tried to come back and kill the only person who has ever done anything kind to you!” Turning away with a scoff of disgust and disbelief. Turning his gaze back on Ti-Rell once more he began speaking again. “You don’t get . . .”

“And you think you are any different? You think that just because the ‘Empire’ told you to, you could kill? There is no difference between you and I.” Caedon returned. “No, that’s not true. The difference is that you are an outcast. Everything you have ever done you have either cast off, or been cast out of! And it’s not just the Empire. They may have been the latest, but they certainly weren’t the first! And another thing. You said you spared my life out of mercy. You said that I didn’t even understand mercy! Well you’re wrong! If that was mercy than I understand it all too well. According to you, mercy is doing something for yourself SO THAT YOU DON’T FEEL BAD! You didn’t spare my life because it was the right thing to do, you spared it because you hoped it would make you feel better. Well I hope it did, because it is the last time an outcast like yourself will ever feel go. . .”

Caedon didn’t get to finish his sentence as the crimson blade of Rowahn’s saber extruded through his chest. “No man can speak to me like that and live.” Rowahn whispered to Caedon before dropping his now limp form.

“R4-T3 see if you can get this ship running, and if the crew misbehaves, deal with them accordingly.” Rowahn said as he stalked off towards the captain’s chambers. His ship may have been destroyed, but he still had to catch T’Risha Jord.

As Rowahn sat down, he tried to calm his mind. To beat back into submission the Force. It was once again trying to take control of him, trying to draw him back to the side of weakness. That could not be allowed to happen.

Rowahn could feel the ship lift off as he drifted into meditation.

The planet was cold and dark. There didn’t seem to be any light that crept through the perpetually cloud filled skies. This is where he had completed his first solo mission. As he walked he could barely make out the trail in front of him. It was a perfect hiding place for someone who did not want to be found. If you could even find the planet to begin with, then you still had to search everywhere for some sign of habitation. There were plenty of large, fierce animals who would eat you given the chance. Luckily they only came out at night. How you could tell the difference between day and night here, he had no idea. It was the same brightness during both. There were also pitfalls, crevices and any number of other things invisible to the eye until right on top of them. If it weren’t for the Force, he’d have been dead long ago.

Eventually he had found the man he’d been looking for. It was a human. Tall and muscular with a huge bushy beard. Rumor was that he was a distant relative of the Crescentfall brothers, but nothing had ever been confirmed, though it was definitely possible. He had only ever seen the brothers once, and it was only very briefly as they boarded a ship to head off on their own mission. He hadn’t known what had happened to them, but could only hope they had been destroyed in the Purge, though somehow he found that doubtful.

As they faced off, the burly Jedi stared straight at the young Inquisitor as if searching his very soul. The man’s eyes made him uneasy, and he knew that he had to somehow take him by surprise. The human was more than likely a far superior swordsman than the Inquisitor.

In a deep voice the man spoke. “So you are the traitor. The outcast we have heard so much about. What a disappointment.” He said with the shake of his head. “So much wasted potential.” Then he charged.

Rowahn reached out with the Force, and channeled everything he could into a small wedge. He had heard about a Force ability where you could drive a man catatonic just by pushing into the man’s mind. That was what he was hoping to do. The Jedi was almost upon him when he released it. Driving home the thorne, hoping it would work like it was supposed to. The man stopped dead in his tracks, then fell to his knees. The young Inquisitor stooped down and whispered in the older Jedi’s ear. “No man can speak to me like that and live.” Then he activated his saber and decapitated the man. Taking his lightsaber he left the body for the beasts to devour.

That was probably his hardest mission. No one since that man had he allowed to speak. He found a way to shut them up before they could say anything. He had followed Vader’s advice, and had never let himself feel pain again.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2018, 03:52:57 AM »

WOW!

This was a fantastic chapter!  TR, your fight scenes are always dynamic but I think that this one is your best yet: non-stop action, excitement, and drama.  Rowahn's own convictions finally galvanized to razor-focus... Wow...

And...Caedon...killed?!  I guess that no ONE should talk to Rowahn like that...

On a more serious note, I think that this chapter demonstrates a marked departure for both Rowahn and yourself: Rowahn's self-convictions no longer seem to be in flux as they have been the last few chapters (excellent pathos, of course) and now he's a man with a singular objective: T'Risha.  But more importantly, for yourself, this chapter represents a dynamic shift.  You've found your "voice" within your narrative and it is prevalent ALL throughout this installment.  My compliments, my friend!  OUTSTANDING writing  Smiley

...And now...I have to wonder just what Rowahn's going to do now that he's utilizing the Song...but as a Sith... Oh this is going to be GOOD...

BTW: I LOVE the easter egg concerning Rackham and Heditt! 

I am looking forward to your next chapter!

...IS Caedon dead?!?!?!?!? Shocked

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2018, 04:48:12 AM »

Like Dutchman said this was really great

Caedon...what a way to go, also loved the image of a guy getting his jet pack ripped off with the force!  But even though Rowahn killed him, Caedon really dug the knife in with his last statement, undermined any moral high ground Rowahn thought he had, the fact Rowahn basically has an extended flash back is evidence of that - No one speaks to him like that, so he shuts them up, killing externally what is obviously a deep internal pain he wants to be rid of.

I think that has really triggered something in him again, can he really keep 'never let himself feel pain again', will Jord end up another object of his attempt to push pain out?  I couldn't guess, just super excited to see where this heads next!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »

Thank you much Dutchman. Honestly, I wrote the first half of the fight scene and then took about a 3 week break from writing. When I came back today (and yesterday) I knew exactly where I wanted to go and how I wanted to go about doing it. I don't much care for the first half of the fight, but the second half worked amazing. I tied up some of the loose ends, but left some open still. I didn't have any idea what to do with the meditation portion till I started, and then it just kind of came out. And I especially didn't have any intentions on throwing the little easter egg in there at the end, but again, it just worked out perfectly.

As to your "more serious note", once again, I thank you. So much of this story has been leading to this one battle. I have tried to make every single thing in this story be important and have tried to make them all tie together. This was one of those chapters where we begin to see the big picture, and honestly I am surprised it worked as well as it did. There are things in chapter one that are just now being addressed, and that is how I was trying to do it. Many of the authors that I read don't have a cut and dry hero adventure, and especially not one that you can guess everything that happens before it does. But that is another thing I am trying to and hoping to portray. This isn't a hero's adventure. Rowahn is not a hero. He isn't even a good guy. And because of that, it has been very interesting for me to write. Anyways, I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say anymore, but be prepared to be shocked.

Caedon...what a way to go, also loved the image of a guy getting his jet pack ripped off with the force!  But even though Rowahn killed him, Caedon really dug the knife in with his last statement, undermined any moral high ground Rowahn thought he had, the fact Rowahn basically has an extended flash back is evidence of that - No one speaks to him like that, so he shuts them up, killing externally what is obviously a deep internal pain he wants to be rid of.

I think that has really triggered something in him again, can he really keep 'never let himself feel pain again', will Jord end up another object of his attempt to push pain out?  I couldn't guess, just super excited to see where this heads next!

Oh LSG, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head, and I am SO glad that you did. Because it tells me that I have succeeded in at least one of the aspects that I was trying for.

Thank you guys so much for reading and continually giving feedback. It makes it so much more enjoyable when I see others enjoying what I have written, and being excited for what is to come. I can tell that my writing has improved, and it is definitely because of the comments from the readers, but also reading the stories from everyone else. Like I've told my sister many times (who is actually a writer), I'm not a writer. I just have a story that needs to be told, and the only way I can tell it is by writing it down.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »

Hey!  Late to the party!  Smiley

LSG's comments were spot on.  As Dutchman said, he's sharpening his focus, but its not out of conviction but rather out of pain avoidance.  And I suspect that he would view any return to the Light as a very painful experience indeed.  Any "repentance" we go through has pain involved.  So if you're all about avoiding pain, you avoid repentance like the plague!

Nice combat sequence as well.  And the song!  He's singing ... without really understanding what he's doing.  But somehow I suspect that he'll learn more about it as he goes.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2018, 04:05:17 AM »

Great Story TR!!! I feel like this isn't the end though. Guess I'll just have to keep slowly working my way through the forumverse to find out. Wink

ALSO! I thought it was great that you and Dutchman did a collaborative scene with your characters. It's very inter-dynamic to get to see both points of view of the battle.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2018, 05:26:31 AM »

Great Story TR!!! I feel like this isn't the end though. Guess I'll just have to keep slowly working my way through the forumverse to find out. Wink

ALSO! I thought it was great that you and Dutchman did a collaborative scene with your characters. It's very inter-dynamic to get to see both points of view of the battle.

No, it most definitely isn't the end. I'm still working on this one. It should be done by now, but unfortunately, I have been extremely busy this past summer and even though university has started back up, I didn't get much time back. You will definitely see more here whenever I get it done. I am not nearly as prolific a writer as Karm, TD or LSG, but I do try. You may have seen me say this somewhere else, but I am not a writer. I have a story that needs to be told, and the only way I can tell it is through writing. If I could tell it through film I would, but unfortunately I am not at that level yet. Glad you are enjoying it though, and thanks for the comments. Smiley

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »

No, it most definitely isn't the end. I'm still working on this one. It should be done by now, but unfortunately, I have been extremely busy this past summer and even though university has started back up, I didn't get much time back. You will definitely see more here whenever I get it done. I am not nearly as prolific a writer as Karm, TD or LSG, but I do try. You may have seen me say this somewhere else, but I am not a writer. I have a story that needs to be told, and the only way I can tell it is through writing. If I could tell it through film I would, but unfortunately I am not at that level yet. Glad you are enjoying it though, and thanks for the comments. Smiley

My pleasure (in regard to your thanks for the comments)!

And no worries about Uni slowing you down (heaven knows I know that feeling). I’m curious to see what happens when you have more time to tell your story. Smiley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2018, 05:33:48 AM »

My pleasure (in regard to your thanks for the comments)!

And no worries about Uni slowing you down (heaven knows I know that feeling). I’m curious to see what happens when you have more time to tell your story. Smiley

Again, thank you. And if you have any comments on the writing itself, I would love to hear it. Constructive criticism has probably been the most useful tool I have received during this writing adventure.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »

Again, thank you. And if you have any comments on the writing itself, I would love to hear it. Constructive criticism has probably been the most useful tool I have received during this writing adventure.

My only constructive criticism comment would be to maybe try to break up your paragraphs a little more. When it gets to be big blocks of text, it becomes more difficult to read (especially on a screen rather than paper). Breaking your ideas into smaller paragraphs can also help to Organize your writing better.

I found it very helpful though that you chose to italicize any dialogue that wasn't Rowahn's. It made it very easy to be able to follow who was speaking that way. I also really like the way that you write your combat scenes! It's beautiful and they really come to life in your writing. That's personally a thing that I find myself struggling with, so extra Kudos to you!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2018, 05:53:59 AM »

My only constructive criticism comment would be to maybe try to break up your paragraphs a little more. When it gets to be big blocks of text, it becomes more difficult to read (especially on a screen rather than paper). Breaking your ideas into smaller paragraphs can also help to Organize your writing better.

Hmm, interesting. Maybe it is because I have a 17.3" screen, but the larger blocks of text don't bother me. Still, thank you for pointing it out. Without it, I wouldn't have had any idea. Will definitely try to do a bit smaller paragraphs.

I found it very helpful though that you chose to italicize any dialogue that wasn't Rowahn's. It made it very easy to be able to follow who was speaking that way. I also really like the way that you write your combat scenes! It's beautiful and they really come to life in your writing. That's personally a thing that I find myself struggling with, so extra Kudos to you!

Thank you. Italicizing other people's dialogue came from the little bit of RPing that I have done on here. And I agree, it makes it far easier to follow what is being said. As for fight scenes, that stems from reading the fights scenes of other great writers (J.R.R. Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson, etc.). Besides that, I have done quite a bit of "studying" of swordplay and fighting (though never really did any myself), so I know terms that really help to give the exact picture you are trying to paint. Also, usually while writing a fight scene, I actually visualize every stroke, every block and parry, every little movement down to the footwork. I really put myself into the scene to try and get a feel of how it would look on paper if that makes any sense. I'm sure with more practice you too will find a way to write them like you want. Smiley

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2018, 06:06:52 AM »

Hmm, interesting. Maybe it is because I have a 17.3" screen, but the larger blocks of text don't bother me. Still, thank you for pointing it out. Without it, I wouldn't have had any idea. Will definitely try to do a bit smaller paragraphs.

Thank you. Italicizing other people's dialogue came from the little bit of RPing that I have done on here. And I agree, it makes it far easier to follow what is being said. As for fight scenes, that stems from reading the fights scenes of other great writers (J.R.R. Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson, etc.). Besides that, I have done quite a bit of "studying" of swordplay and fighting (though never really did any myself), so I know terms that really help to give the exact picture you are trying to paint. Also, usually while writing a fight scene, I actually visualize every stroke, every block and parry, every little movement down to the footwork. I really put myself into the scene to try and get a feel of how it would look on paper if that makes any sense. I'm sure with more practice you too will find a way to write them like you want. Smiley

Thanks for the suggestions! For me, I'm a combination visual/tactile-kinesthetic learner, so acting out scenes is what helps me the most in writing.... Unfortunately, this is highly impractical for very obvious reasons when it comes to more intense battle scenes, even with my stage combat experience and limited self-defense/martial arts skills, become a challenge >.< I'm already choreographing a scene that's taking place more than 30 chapters later than where I am for this reason XD (That one's particularly hard though because one of the characters uses staff, and I suck at staff).

I've done a lot of RP work, but most of the characters that I've played never end up in battle situations .-.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »

Hey guys, sorry it took so long for me to get this next chapter up. It was not an easy on for me to write for a ton of reasons. Hopefully the next ones won't be so long apart. Hope you enjoy.

Chapter 12 Part I

As the ship flashed out of the twirling tunnel of blue hyperspace, Rowahn once again came to the cockpit. Forty-Three had set the ship on auto-pilot and had gone to plug himself in.Taking the controls, Rowahn check to make sure that the tracker still showed T’Risha’s position as on the surface. So far it seemed as if she still was. Maybe Rowahn would finally catch up to her, and end the chase that had been ongoing for over two years now. It was time for Rowahn to complete his task. Caedon was dead, so that distraction was gone forever. The Force was quiet for the time being but he didn’t know how long that would last. He wouldn’t let it turn him back to a weakened state as it had been trying so hard to do. Still, the edge it had given him during his battle with Caedon had been nice. He’d have to speak with Lord Vader after he returned to see if there was some way he could harness the power that it gave, rather than being a slave to it. He’d worry about that later.

The ship was soon in the upper atmosphere, and like always, it seemed to take far to little time to get to the surface. Or what could be considered the surface. Ithor was beautiful with filled with lush plant life and gorgeous waterfalls. However, according to the Ithorians, no one was allowed to go to the surface. Except on one condition, that they stay there forever. It was supposedly sacred, and as such, the Ithorians had built their cities in the air. Strange hammerheaded creatures to be sure. Rowahn thought to himself as he began his landing approach.

“YT-2400 model light freighter, identify yourself! and your business for requesting a landing.” an automated voice sounded over the radio. The Ithorians could not verbally speak Galactic basic, and as such were required to either have a translator droid or a voice translator. Some humans could understand Ithorese, but it was extremely difficult to learn.

“This is Darth Rowahn of the Imperial Inquisitorious. The Empire has sent me here in search of a dangerous criminal who has reportedly been seen in this quadrant last. I request permission to land.” Rowahn stated to the Ithorian.

After a brief pause, the radio sounded once again, “Inquisitor, you are clear for landing on Herdship three, landing-bay six. You may begin your landing approach”

Rowahn handed control of the ship over to Forty-Three than headed back towards the cabin. Within a few moments they had landed and Rowahn was heading out to meet the security officer. As a child, the ithroians had always frightened him, but he was now older and an Inquisitor. He wouldn’t allow his childhood fears to keep him from doing his duty to the Empire. He had come to catch a criminal, and that was what he was going to do.

After quickly outlining what he needed the Ithorians to do and giving them a description of Jord, Rowahn headed off in search of ‘landing-bay’ twelve. The officer had told Rowahn that a ship matching the description of a Sheathepede-class transport shuttle had docked there about two days ago and had not left yet. Nobody had exited or entered the landing-bay that they had seen.

As Rowahn strode through the streets of the Herdship, he noticed the street vendors and even the supermarkets seemed to be dedicated to the forest and nature. He also did not see any form of Law Enforcement though it had to be there somewhere. Everything, though busy, was relatively peaceful and the ithroians genuinely seemed to be a peaceful race. As the Inquisitor thought about this, he began to hear a simple harmony radiating from everything including the ithorians themselves. The sound was simple, yet beautiful. It seemed to be a single thread weaving its way through and around all the occupants of the Herdship, unbroken and complete. As he pondered this phenomena he noticed two things. First, the thread seemed to not only flow between each of the individuals, but also down to the surface of the planet and back with an even greater power than the connection between each of the aliens. And second, he noticed something else. A melody similar, but distinctly different. One that he recognized. One that he’d heard before. This one however was not on the Herdship, but coming completely from the surface.

After listening a bit longer, Rowahn realized why he recognized it. He had not noticed it the last time he had been in contact with it, but he did now. Jord! He thought. Why was it coming from the surface though? Surely Jord would know that the once on the planet’s surface the ithorians would prohibit you from ever leaving. She must not be expecting to leave the planet. Well, she is right.

By this time he was at the landing-bay, and inside was indeed a Sheathepede-class transport shuttle. There was no one on board, but Rowahn already knew that. There was nothing here for him. What he sought was on the surface. The ithorains wouldn’t like it, but it was necessary.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »

Chapter 12 Part II

Once on the surface, Rowahn began listening to the Force. He hated relying on it to find his prey, but what other choice did he have? Slowly, gradually, he began to pick up the disparate threads. The tree, the forest as a whole seemed to be speaking to him. Whispering to give up the ways of darkness, and be at peace. Shaking off the effects of the forest and ignoring all that was not of use to him, he slowly found T’Risha’s thread.

Following the distinctly different thread, he quickly came to an opening. The opening was fairly large, and ringed with trees. In the very center of the circle sat T’Risha Jord.

“I’ve been waiting for you” she said, again without looking up. “I knew you’d catch up to me eventually, I just needed you to chase me till I had arrived at my destination, and you had defeated the bounty hunter. It seems you have succeeded based on the fact that you no longer wear a helmet and have modified your saber again.”

“You are very observant for one who will not even look at me.” Rowahn replied after a brief pause.

“There are other ways to see than with your eyes. I had hoped you would have discover this by now. It seems that you are not a true Sith. You are not willing to use any means to gain power. You are only willing to use those which will not show you something you are not willing to see. Maybe there is still a chance for you after all.” With that, Jord silently rose and unclipped her saber from her belt.

“It seems you also know why I am here than.” Rowahn stated, “Good. It will make my job easier.”

Taking his pike off his back, Rowahn activated his blade. The light crimson humming in time to his own thread. He noticed Jord’s green blade did the same when she activated hers. Interesting. He thought. “Shall we begin the final battle?” He asked with a glint of humor in his eye. They both knew it would be the last battle Jord and Rowahn ever face.

Leaping forward Rowahn struck. Once again, Jord moved faster than she should have, dodging the blade and keeping her defense up. Rowahn struck again, and again Jord dodged. He would not allow the anger and fury overcome his mind and make him a raging animal as it did to so many of the other Inquisitors he had trained alongside. No, Vader had trained him better, trained him personally. Only one other person had Vader ever taken on as an apprentice until he had been destroyed. Since then, Vader had made good on his promise to teach Rowahn, and he had quickly become the most powerful of the Inquisitors. More powerful than Yiaso, more powerful than Gaetana even. Yet still he had chosen not to take the title of Grand Inquisitor for himself. Instead, he dubbed himself Darth Rowahn. This had infuriated Yiaso, but it pleased Vader, so Rowahn kept the title.

He was angry, and he was furious, but he channeled that anger. His blows becoming faster and faster until Jord was forced to block the saber rather than just dodge. With a quick thrust Rowahn forced Jord to leap backwards. Just as before, the two warriors began to circle. And also just like before, Jord began to summon the dust and stones around her into a swirling vortex of debris. She was using it as a shield, but Rowahn knew how to dispel it now. Reaching into the melody she was using to summon the earth, he grabbed hold of it and twisted.

As the chords shattered, the dust whirlwind crumbled. T’Risha stumbled from her song being twisted, but she didn’t falter for long. As she continued to fight, she started weaving a subtle theme into her greater battle song. It was a defensive and protective melody. One that fought off the effects of outside influence upon her song.

She knows too much about this aspect of the Force! Rowahn thought as he tried his best to do what he could to get through her mental defenses. The battle continued, Rowahn virtually flying through the air with his speed and Jord doing the same, but rarely going for the attack.

“I see you have decided to use what you know to try to counteract my own song. I am by no means a Master of Song, but I can recognize growth in a Singer as much as the next. It is too bad Vader has corrupted your heart. You could be a useful ally with a bit of training.” Jord said smirking.

Rowahn knew she was aluding to something he had no knowledge of. Something the female Jedi he had fought had said. Something about the Song. It upset him greatly that he had didn’t know what this “Song” had to do with anything. And the way she had said “useful ally” sounded almost like she was not talking about an ally for herself, but for someone else. Perhaps there was more he could learn before he killed her. No! He thought. I will not give in to her taunts. I will not let her win. I will not allow myself the pain of losing yet again.

With that thought, he rushed forward in a flurry of motion. As he neared her he did something he had not yet had the chance to try out. Touching the modified coupler, he released the lower portion of his hilt into his left hand. With his saber in his right and the extension in his left he began to fight ferociously. The saber hilt itself could only take a few hits from Jord’s saber, but he could use it to strike any openings he found. With the two weapons he quickly started gaining ground.

Spinning his saber, he struck at Jord. She blocked the saber, but he quickly locked-up with it keeping her from escaping, then with his hilt extension, he brought it around and struck the Jedi, knocking her backwards and causing her to release her grip on her saber. As she stumbled back and fell to the ground, Rowahn deactivated her saber and clipped it to his belt. She was trying to rise, so the Inquisitor began to advance quickly. It was time to end this.
Suddenly he flew back across the clearing, landing on his back. Jord’s saber began rattling on his belt, and before he could grab it, it flew away. Reaching out her hand the Jedi caught the saber. With as snap, the blade sprang to life once again casting an emerald shean over the ground and young woman. However, she just stood there, waiting for Rowahn to rise again.

Then she spoke, “You have been given another chance to return to who you once were. I know you think I never paid you any attention at the temple, but that is not true. I remember when you came running through the halls, and ran straight into me. You didn’t even try to stop. Luckily for me, the Song warned me long before you collided with me, and I was able to anticipate it.”

Rowahn was on his feet now, shocked that she remember that as well. He quickly recovered however and shaking the haze from his mind Force leaped across the clearing towards the Jedi. As their sabers once again locked, Jord held her place this time, and spoke up once again.

“That was not the only time you were running through the halls. You would often get in trouble for it, but it never stopped you for long. You were stopped at least four different times for running after you had successfully built your lightsaber. I see you have kept a similar design even with the extension. For all your work to cut yourself off from everything in your past, and yet you carry around a constant reminder of what you were. Who you were.” She said then pushed out of the clash. As she stood a few steps away she continued. “The day you built your saber was a sad day for me. But seeing you overflowing with joy and excitement, I couldn’t help but smile.”

Rowahn knew he needed to shut Jord up, but he couldn’t. She was too powerful a Jedi, he could not get past her defenses. He would not let himself give in to the taunts though. She was trying to draw him back to the light. He couldn’t let that happen. Furiously he began to spin his saber. As the wall of light rose around him, the noise created mixed with his ever-increasing bellow of rage began to drown out the sound of her voice. Still it was not enough.

“You try to give the facade of a rough, tough, uncaring warrior, but that is not you. You are nothing more than the young traitor that everyone said you were. I always hoped it was not true, but I can see now that it is. What a disappointment.” Jord said in a saddened voice.

Rowahn stumbled back at her words. He had sworn to never allow someone to say that to him again, and yet he had. His anger and rage were starting to take over, and he lashed out with uncontrolled fury. Rowahn barrelled towards the young Jedi, but before he could get to her he flew backwards. His shoulder struck a tree, and he went twisting to the ground. He felt no pain though, and quickly got up and rushed towards her again. But again he was thrown away. His anger was still growing, but his curiosity was overtaking it. He couldn’t understand why he could not block the Force blasts. He couldn’t even anticipate them. There was nothing, then suddenly he would fly back. How could she muster that much power in so little time? The ‘song’! The thought occurred to him as he slowly began to rise. What that meant, he had no idea. He needed to figure out what the song was, and how to counter it. Perhaps there was a way to hide your intentions with this ‘song’. Maybe even hide your own presence with it.

No! He thought. I can’t let myself fall into her trap. This is exactly what she wants me to do. She wants me to let my guard down, and open myself up to her, which would give her the opportunity to either kill me or escape. I can’t let that happen.

Once again, he attacked, but this time when he charged her he had a Force shield up in front of him to keep her from being able to blast him back. He swung his saber high towards Jord’s neck, but she blocked it. Rowahn held the clash for a few seconds, just long enough for him to reach out and grab the hilt extension with the Force from where it had fallen and summon it to his hand. As soon as he gripped it in his palm, he pushed off with his saber, and struck with the hilt. Deliberately striking the saber out of her hand rather than going for a body blow. The saber flew away and Rowahn dropped the extension grabbing the saber with both hands and raising it above his head for a strong downwards strike. Once again, he flew backwards before he could strike. The time however, he noticed something. Jord hadn’t even lifted a hand before he flew back.

He knew that the Force didn’t require you to raise your hand in order for it to work, that was one of the first things they were taught at the Temple. But in battle everyone did it, because it took too much concentration to use the Force without a conduit of some form. So everyone used their hand. How was it possible that Jord was so strong that she could direct a Force blast with that much precision without raising her hand, and while in the midst of a battle? The ‘Song’! He didn’t know what all it could do, but if it could give that sort of advantage, it might just be worth looking into rather than suppressing it.

Rowahn closed his eyes and focused. He enhanced his senses, then slowly rose. He could hear Jord coming towards him, and he could almost see her as the Force sent images to his mind allowing him to build an image of his surroundings. He was on the edge of the clearing, and Jord was near the center once again. As he listened he could hear the song weaving through the forest and into the clearing. He could hear the trees whispering for him to turn towards peace. He could see the two seperate sides of the Force, one clearly light, the other dark. As he listened to them he heard the joyous playful sound of the lightside, though flawed, it was still beautiful. The he looked to the dark, it had a deep melodic sound, but at the same time it had a minor key, and was very chaotic as if it didn’t know where it was headed or what it was trying to do.

Finally he looked between them. For the first time he noticed something. Jord was not fully in the light, and he was not fully in the dark. Not only that, but there was not a definite line between light and dark. He had heard rumors about the so called “gray Jedi” but had never believed them. All his life he had been told there was the Dark side and the Light. The two never merged. Never met, and yet he could see now that this was wrong. There was a “gray” area. One that was not truly light nor dark.

Rowahn saw all this in a matter of seconds. As if time itself had slowed down. Opening his eyes he could see Jord running at him at full speed. However, she didn’t seem to be moving much faster than a slow walk. Rowahn began to reach out his hand. Then stopped, looked down at it, and let it drop back to his side. He didn’t need it. He had never needed it. It was just a lie he had been told his whole life.

He looked back at Jord and smiled. He could feel the power building up inside of him. Then he released it. Jord flew back across the clearing, and landed on the other side. She lay there stunned. Rowahn strode over toward her and looked down. He now had the upper hand. All other times he had fought T’Risha she had known things he hadn’t, and because of that had been able to beat him every time. This time however, she couldn’t win. She had shown him how to win, and he had run with it.

“T’Risha Jord, you have been found guilty but the Galactic Empire, and by its ruler Emperor Palpatine, and have been sentenced to deat-” Rowahn began, but was cut off.

“You may think you are doing the right thing. You may think that the Jedi were weak, were wrong. And you would probably be right. But there is one thing they were right about. The Sith and the Dark side will corrupt you given the chance. I have had years to come to this understanding. At first I was just like you. I was angry at the Jedi. They had failed me. They had failed to protect my master. They had failed to protect the Republic they were sworn to protect. But as I grew older, I realized something. They had never failed to uphold their vows. They were not warriors, yet when the Clone Wars began, they took it upon themselves to lead the clones into battle in order to try as hard as they could to uphold the vows they had made. You can kill me. You can fulfill your vows to the Empire, but if you do, make sure it is what it truly best. Not easiest, simplist, or whatever else you want. Is is truly what the One would have you to do?"

Rowahn didn’t understand her ramblings, but he couldn’t help feeling like he was doing something wrong. He looked T’Risha in the eyes for a brief moment and realized something: there was a deeper connection between them. One he would never admit, and one she would never have the chance too. He could hear Vader’s voice in the back of his mind Strike her down, and earn your rightful place at my side. For the first time in nearly ten years, something was not right. He felt wrong. The Jedi had taught him one thing, and the Empire another, but how was he supposed to know which was right? All around him the Force spun and struggled. Always fighting, never merging. He knew he should let her go, but if he did, he would also be a fugitive from the Empire. They would hunt him down wherever he went. There would be no escape.

Do it! The voice in his head was saying. What other choice did he have. He was Darth Rowahn. Member of the Impirial Inquisitorious, and apprentice the Lord Vader himself. If he failed in this one task, how could he continue.

Rowahn quickly raised his saber above his head, and with only the slightest hesitance, brought the blade down.

Jord was dead.

He had done it. The Force was quiet again. Only the rhythmic thumping that he was so used to. But what had he really accomplished by it? He didn’t feel empowered. He did not feel like he could rule the entire galaxy, or that he could stand at Lord Vader’s side. He felt weak. It was more than just guilt this time.

Rowahn nealt down to retrieve Jord’s saber. When he rose again, he no longer felt weak. He no longer felt anything. he had been completely numbed by the pain.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2019, 12:51:15 AM »

Cry That was a beautiful chapter, Taegin! It's so interesting to see how you've grown as a writer over the last several months! I can't wait to see what happens now that Rowahn has finally caught his prey... but is also stuck on the planet, no? Where does he go from here?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: