Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow of the Outcast  (Read 47774 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2020, 11:41:07 PM »

Well, It has taken me a good long while to get this last part done, but here it is now. If you remember the "meditation" section at the end of chapter 14, you will notice it again here, though different. There is more to it than this, but they are not both supposed to exist, and this version I like better, so I'll probably remove the other version, or at least replace it with this version. Let me know what you guys think. Which one do you like better?

Epilogue
Part 1 of 2

Journal Record

Since I left the Empire, just over five standard years ago now, a lot has happened. A new Grand Inquisitor was appointed, but rumor has it that he was killed but a Jedi. Not to mention many other Inquisitor’s have fallen. If my sources are true, that program has now shut down. That is definitely a positive thing for the galaxy. There have also been rumors of a Rebel Alliance growing. Well, up until recently they were only rumors. This past year their existence has been confirmed, though the Empire still refuses to acknowledge their existence with the public. The TIE Defender program on Lothal has been shut down, and from what I’ve heard, Lothal has been liberated from Imperial control. Everything I am now hearing is that the majority of Imperial finances have been funnelled towards a ‘Project Stardust’. I do not know what it is, but I will admit my focus has been more on my own task, and the occupation of Mandalore than much else.

So far, I have not attempted to contact or join the Rebellion. My work is far too important at the moment. With the amount I have collected, the Jedi Order could be reborn. Not by me, I can no longer be a Jedi, but by someone new. I am not sure who yet, neither Tano nor myself will ever tread that path again. Maybe this new Jedi who defeated the Grand Inquisitor could help. The galaxy is in a dark place right now, and it could use some Jedi. Looking back on the times of the Republic and the Jedi Order, I realize they were not perfect, but there was true happiness. With the Empire, it seems as if everyone is living in a state of constant fear. The Rebellion seems to be helping a bit. It is giving off a spark of hope, even if a dull one. Maybe it will grow into something truly powerful.

I have made good progress with the ‘collection’ so far. It was easy once, I managed to return to Octonotil, to find a cave suitable to my needs. The Force drew me to the place, but I do not believe many others could find it. I would not feel comfortable leaving the cave for a long trip such as this, without a guarantee of a speedy return, were it not for the synyps. I have grown fond of the creatures, and their connection to the Force and the ‘Song’ makes me comfortable enough to leave the ‘collection’ in their care. Each one has its own motif, but they wind together in perfect harmony. They seem to have taken a liking to the area, and seem almost protective of it. I have never seen this type of devotion in non-sentient beings before. I can only assume that it is their connection to the Force that causes them to watch over this place. It is interesting. I have learned more about the ‘Song’ by observing them both by sight, and by listening in the Force than anywhere else. When I return I will study them more, and if my lead pans out, I will know more about the ‘Song’, and why very few seem to hear it, and even fewer seem to be able to “Sing” as I have begun to call it. I cannot think of a more suitable term.

After I left the tower on Prakith, I ended up wandering. I did not stay in any one place for more than a few days, but I didn’t have a goal, and I didn’t know where I was going. I ended up on Coruscant, and sneaked into the Imperial Palace. I do not know why, but I was drawn to it. There was something there that I had to find, though I did not know what. Of course, it was once the Jedi Temple, so finding my way was easy enough. But it was different. While it looked as pristine as always, it was filled with the echoes of death and destruction. The Palace was steeped in the Dark Side of the Force. I knew, because I myself had been so only weeks prior. It was not a safe place for me to be, and I wanted to get out of there as soon as I could. First though, I had to find whatever the Force was trying to show me. It led me under the palace, and into the caves beneath. Caves that had not been found by the Empire and probably not even known to most the Jedi. There was not much for me to find except a few doors that I was unable to open and an extensive tunnel network. I could tell it was once an important place, but only skeletons remained of any people who had once been there.

I knew so little about the ‘Song’, but I knew I could hear it, so I listened. It was there of course, as it had been every day since I left the Empire, but this time it was different. It had an air of mystery, but also knowledge. It was moving as always, but it was also flowing. Directing me towards a place I knew not. Soon enough I found it. I do not know how it came to be there, but somehow he had hidden it for later retrieval. It was the holocron of Master Eem. That was an amazing discovery for me, but that was not all I found. There were also names. Odjina, Mak’Tor, Vahl’Dan, Zonoma Sekot, and Galtea. There were more that were obscured and unreadable, but even then, I did not know what any of these meant. Except Zonoma Sekot. Though I had never heard the name before I instantly knew what it was. It was the planet I’d seen In a vision while searching for T’Risha. Not only did I know what it meant, but I knew where I would find the planet. It was like the Force was showing me a star map to its location.

Unfortunately, I did not have access to a ship to take me there. As I worked and found ways to make enough credits to purchase my own ship, I realized the Force was showing me other paths. Different, but not in opposition. Whenever I got the chance, I would follow one of these other paths. I soon learned that they lead me towards other artifacts of the Force. Usually holocrons, but occasionally texts. Everything is now sitting in my collection, and only two days ago I managed to purchase my own ship. I am coming up on the destination that the Force has shown me. I should be scared that I will not find what I’m looking for, but somehow, I know I will. Or at least, I will be closer.

End of Record

The young man sat down and set the saber in front of him. The hilt was called the Shadow’s Bane, and had belonged to the Inquisitor known as Darth Rowahn. The man closed his eyes and reached out with the Force. Building a lightsaber was a difficult task, and one that required an immense amount of concentration, for if even one piece was slightly off, the entire hilt could explode on activation. The saber levitated off the floor, and slowly began to dismantle. The emitter and pommel both spun off, then the hand grip separated from the chassis, crystal chamber and power cell. It was a fairly simple hilt of dark metal, approximately 31.5 centimeters in length, and had few ornaments other than the activation switch.

The extra parts that had been lying on the floor then lifted into the air. The emitter was exchanged for a similar emitter with silver rings, and the hand grip as well, though the new grip was a bit shorter. The chassis also had to be changed for a shorter one, and some of the insides had to be rearranged in order to fit into this newer, shorter chassis, but it was doable.

Next came the crystal itself. Carefully the man removed it from the crystal chamber. It was a deep blood-red in color. That was no longer an acceptable color for this blade. Focusing all his energy into the crystal, he tried to as it was called “cleanse” the crystal. He could tell it was working, but he knew not how long it would take.

The feeling of floating through the past came to him, and though it was impossible to “know” what was going to be shown to you, he had a sense as to what it might be.

The Jedi temple rose before him out of the darkness, and he was whisked inside. It was late in the day, and the sun was starting to set. Its golden rays shone bright and warm through the many windows of the Temple. He was standing in a chamber with a group of nine other younglings. Master Yoda stood in front of them as he often did, this time with a small table and a potted plant. The plant was dry and brown, but he could tell it had once been a beautiful and luscious fern. Master Yoda’s strange voice slowly spoke as he taught the lesson.

“With the Force, reach out. Feel the plant. Feel the Force. To what they are saying, listen.”

After a few moments one of the younglings, a vuvrian, spoke. “It is crying.” he said.

“Good. Good. Seeing clearly, you are.”

Another spoke up. “I feel sadness, and . . . happiness. But the happiness is from you Master Yoda.”

“Right, you are. While sad and difficult the ending of a life can be, happiness, there can also be.” The wizened old Jedi said.

“How is this possible?” This time it was he who had spoken.

“A good question, I think. Yes, a good question. Death and pain, a natural part of life they are. Wish to remove them we do, yet without them, grow, we would not. Sad that this beautiful life has ended, I am, but rejoice, I do, for it has transformed into the Force.”

The vision of Yoda faded, and was replaced with a hospital somewhere on Coruscant. Him and his master were walking through the hospital on their way to meet with a civilian doctor. As they walked, they passed a young female gotal. She was crying next to a tooka. The nurse was trying to calm the young girl down, but she would not listen.

“Fix him!” the gotal demanded. But it was clear there was nothing that could be done about the dying cat.

He could feel the pain and anger radiating off the young girl. The feelings saddened him, but the memory of Master Yoda’s lesson came to his mind. It was okay to feel pain, but do not dwell on it. As they walked, he reached out with the Force and gently soothed the young girls anger.

Once again, the vision faded. This time to a forest in the early morning. He was staring at the ground crying. A dark shadow was looming over him, and a rasping sound was coming from behind him. His heart was aching, and he knew his master was gone. The monster behind him had made sure of that. He wanted to leap up and strike at the darkness, but he could not bring himself to rise. He just wanted to be done. Just wanted the hurt to leave him. Then
the darkness spoke.

“Join me young padawan, and I will teach you to never know pain again.”

At the time, he had been hurting beyond anything that anyone else could have felt. He had lost his friends, his life, his home, and now his Master. There was nothing he wanted more than to rid himself of the pain.

Slowly he spoke. “I . . .  will join you.”

There had been more times since then, and each time he believed that his new master still had more to teach him. For a while, it seemed that the Dark One had eventually succeeded. But even that was not true. The female target had fallen to the Inquisitor’s blade, but not before she had awoken something within him. An understanding. He understood what Master Yoda had been trying to teach all those years ago. But beyond that, he understood something that perhaps he was the only person to ever know.
Vader still felt pain.

What for, would perhaps remain a mystery forevermore, but it was there.

He had slipped into meditation without realizing it. As he had meditated, he had come to a realization. He knew he could no longer be who he was, nor could he go back to his original self. However, he also could not leave who he was behind. It was a part of him now. Now and forever.

For years, this crystal had yielded a red blade. While that could be changed, he realized that he did not want it to be. It could not stay the deep crimson that it had once been, but neither could it be the silvery white that a “cleansed” crystal was said to be. Something in between would be better. Both a better reflection of who he was now, and a reminder of who he had been. That was important.

Something in between. He thought.

He focused once more on the crystal. Its scarlet hue now slowly starting to fade.

There. A balance.

He let the Force guide him as he opened the chassis and slipped the crystal into its chamber, aligning it exactly, as he had been taught so long ago.

The hilt slid closed and he reached out with his hand to grab it from the air. While he knew the blade would no longer be a deep red, he did not know what its new color would be. A new hilt and a new blade. One that fit who he was now, but served as a reminder of who he had been.With his breath unknowingly held, he switched it on.

The pink glow lit the entire room. It made sense that it would be pink, but it was an unseen color until now.

There was still one more option to test. He unclipped the other saber from his belt. This one had belonged to his master once upon a time. He would keep it to honor the memory of his master, and he would wield it to honor the legacy of the Jedi. It had an orange blade, and was part of a larger saberstaff. The other side had clearly been destroyed already, but this one remained intact, and the coupler undamaged. He brought the two hilts together and created his own staff. The two sides of the hilt were different, and the blades did not match, but it felt right.

The orange saber had once been called Vlice. There was a legend of a Sith Lord called Vlice who had been known as The Veiled One. Or so his master had told him.

His new saber needed a name. Shadow’s Bane was no longer a fitting name.

Mayhaps Rowahn would be better. He thought.

So now he carried Rowahn and Vlice. But those were two seperate hilts.

The staff also needs a name. Memory, or . . .  Veiled Past maybe? Yes, Veiled Past seems fitting.

He separated the hilts and clipped them to his sides, then walked out the chamber towards the cockpit. He should be arriving at the destination soon.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2020, 11:47:59 PM »

Epilogue
Part 2 of 2

The planet was exactly as he had envisioned it to be. Floating in space, and not orbiting any star, but clearly alive and clearly a planet. He had located a landing platform and set the ship down there. In front of him was the temple, and the courtyard he had seen in his visions. He had not been hailed when he came in to land, and he had seen no other ships, though they had to have been there.

The landing ramp closed behind him as he walked forward towards the gateway. As he got closer he could see two pillars on either side of the gate, hidden by shadows. The Force gave no indication that there was any life, but there was something. His vision had shown there to be life, and even a society here. If it existed his arrival could not have gone unnoticed.

The pillars were becoming more clear. They were shaped like humans. Very realistic sculptures for sure. Haunting, watching almost. He was nearly to the gate when they moved. Swift as a coursing river, they moved. A teal and a vermilion blade sprang into existence. The young man froze where he was. This was something he should have seen coming, but the Force had not warned him of it.

“You are the one they call Rowahn?” A deep voice from the right questioned.

“I was.” He said thinking it better to be truthful.

“Come with us. You are expected.” The voice on the right, a female, said.

Expected? How could he be expected? Who could be expecting him?

These questions would undoubtedly be answered, but not yet. The guards turned and began walking across the courtyard.

“Are you not going to take my weapons?” He asked, confused.

The woman spoke again. “You did not draw them when you saw ours, you are clearly not here for ill. And if you were to try anything, you would be dispatched before your blades could fully activate.”

Hard to argue with that logic. He thought as he followed them through the courtyard.

The temple was less pristine than the Jedi Temple on Coruscant had been, but it was by no means dirty. Just more homely. The two guards led him down a hallway and then up several floors. Finally they reached a sitting room where they left him alone. Soon thereafter, a huge man with a mechanical arm, leg, and eye walked in, followed by a smaller woman. Had it not been for the two being together, he would not have recognized the man. It was the Jedi that Inquisitor Rowahn had fought during the hunt for Jord. Memories of the battle flashed through his mind as he stared at the many obvious battle wounds of the man.

There was sadness and fury in the Jedi’s eyes, enough to make him look away in shame. He could hear a growl of recognition from the man, but there was no movement of greeting.

“I’m sorry for . . .” he started to speak, “for what happe-”

His apology was cut off by a massive metal hand clamped to his throat, and his body slammed against a wall. The other fist smashed into his helmetless head.

Once!

He did not try to fight back.

Twice!

He still did not raise a hand in protest.

Thrice!

He had resigned himself long ago to whatever form forgiveness might take. If it came.

The man’s hand froze before the forth strike could land. He could see the woman’s hand resting on the shoulder of the Jedi.

“Shakal, Kazic would want to hear him out.” A soft voice, that he barely recognized as coming from the woman, said.

He was dropped to his feet, and though no longer held against it, he used the wall for support. Blood was dripping down his face now and the man had taken a step back, though his rage had not dissipated.

He tried to speak again, “I know there is no reason to trust me, or believe me, but I wanted . . . needed to apologize. I humbly and sorrowfully as your forgiveness for any hurt I caused you.”

“No! You nearly killed her!” the man nearly screamed.

“There is nothing I can do to change that. I am sorry.”

“SHE WAS ALMOST DEAD, AND YOU SAY YOU’RE SORRY!” the Jedi’s bellows shook the room.

“Yes. It is all I can offer. Could I change the past, I would.” His voice sounded tiny and insignificant next to that of the huge man’s. A memory of the last thing that he had said during that fight came to his mind. “Nothing makes me happier than to see that she is alive and alright. I can only hope that the same goes for Jorya.”

A beautiful young togruta rushed in at that moment, having heard the yelling. The man spun to see who it was.

“Jorya!” He cried, his rage finally receding. He wrapped his arms around the young woman in a tearful embrace.

The small woman came over and reached out a hand of support. When he grabbed it, it seemed that for the briefest of moments, the woman was no longer paying attention. Then it was gone, and she spoke.

“Yes, I am well, as is Jorya. Zearic would not have reacted this way normally. His father just passed on into the Force, and my Zearic is having a hard time dealing with it. My name D’Aylanna, and I would like you to know that I accept your apology, and have long since forgiven you. Zearic will come around soon enough.”

He could hear the Togruta speaking to the man, Zearic, she was giving words of comfort, and speaking about “Kazic’s edicts”. He did not know what those were, but they must have worked because the Zearic soon turned around and faced him.

“I’m sorry.” He spoke, “I feel as if I must now ask for your forgiveness.”

“There is no need. I see nothing to forgive. But I accept your apology nonetheless.” Then he added “I hope that one day, you will accept mine as well.”

Journal Record

The days I spent on Zonama Sekot were extremely fulfilling. It took a few days for Zearic to come around, but even that was better that I was expecting. After our first encounter, Zearic and I met again multiple times. D’Aylanna or Jorya was always present as he said that he “didn’t trust himself around me without a chaperone”. Eventually it was no longer necessary, but I think he felt comforted having one of them near. He did not tell me many of his stories, but I could tell that he had been through a lot since we last met. His scars were a testament to that, and I see that he is one of the strongest beings I’ve ever met.

D’Aylanna as well. To go through everything that they have gone through, and not even think twice about forgiving me and offering advice. She has such a kind heart, and is one of the wisest people I’ve ever met. Possibly rivaling even Master Yoda.

Jorya is something else as well. She has the strength of will and personality of Zearic, but is just as sweet and loving as D’Aylanna. I did not know T’Risha very well, but I see a lot of similarities between Jorya and her. We occasionally sparred, and I could almost never win against her. She uses the Force in the same way T’Risha did, but to an even greater extent. It was really quite impressive, and I learned quite a bit from those matches.

When I was unable to spend time with the Vih’Torrs I would wander around the temple there. No one ever detained me or asked for my weapons, and the only times I was stopped was if someone wanted to talk to me. I learned quite a bit about the Vhal’Dan and how during the time of the Old Republic, they were excluded from the Jedi Order. Their history, what I learned of it at least, was very interesting. They have clearly been through a lot as an Order.

Before I left, I made it a point to ask Zearic, D’Aylanna, and their leader, Kage Oyuna Chan’dn about my “Song”. They told me that they knew what I spoke of and that it is indeed called the “Song”. Beyond that they did not have the answers I seeked, saying that “the Vhal’Dan have never been Singers”, but admonishing me that I was on the right path, and that one day I will find what I’m looking for. It was not the answer I was hoping for of course, but knowing I was not alone was definitely an encouragement.

I know the Vih’Torrs and I will cross paths again, and they have a way to contact me if it is ever necessary, but until then, I wish them the best. Their journey will be long and difficult, but if they stay together, they will be able to push through and come out stronger on the other side. I don’t know how or why I know this, but for some reason the Force deemed it necessary to show me. I only hope I will one day understand it all.

While this trip has been refreshing in many ways, it has also been exhausting. I am looking forward to being back on Octonotil for a few days before heading out on my next adventure. Over the past years I have come to the realization of many things. Because Vader told me that he could “teach me to never know pain again”, I now understand that he is hurting just as bad as myself. I also know that because of my allegiance with him and the Empire, I had already cast myself out, and that is something I can never recover from. I have done a lot of bad things during my time as an Inquisitor, and I have done a lot of good since. However, no matter what I do from now on, I can never change who I was, or am now. I realize now that whatever else I may be, for good or ill, I am the Outcast’s Shadow.

End of Record

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2020, 10:51:02 PM »

The Outcasts Shadow indeed.  There is something, not sure the right term, almost waif like in how Rowahn, or whatever he now calls himself having divested himself of that identity, comes off, like he isn't fully there any more just like a shadow, he seems to be very floating like living in the shockwaves of his former life he can't get out of, so he wanders, tries to collect credits and things to help a future Jedi order (which he seems to know he can't be truly part of), follows where he senses things are leading him to but all the while he's not really the driving force anymore. Or at least that's how I read it, it's a very interesting change, and in the context of his struggles against himself across the whole series makes a lot of sense that there is not a 'clean' redemption arc.

The revelation he was involved in Gaetana's attack on the Vhal'Dan is also interesting, not surprising all thins considered, but of all the things he's done that seems to be what he was drawn to apologize in person for.

As to which meditation section is better, hmmm the original was shorter and a bit sharper, I kind of like that, having Yoda explain things out made it a bit less about self realisation and more a teaching moment.

Anyway one wonders what happens now, can he become more than a Shadow,  does he even need or want to...and what will his new path require of him...

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2020, 02:39:58 AM »

The Outcasts Shadow indeed.  There is something, not sure the right term, almost waif like in how Rowahn, or whatever he now calls himself having divested himself of that identity, comes off, like he isn't fully there any more just like a shadow, he seems to be very floating like living in the shockwaves of his former life he can't get out of, so he wanders, tries to collect credits and things to help a future Jedi order (which he seems to know he can't be truly part of), follows where he senses things are leading him to but all the while he's not really the driving force anymore. Or at least that's how I read it, it's a very interesting change, and in the context of his struggles against himself across the whole series makes a lot of sense that there is not a 'clean' redemption arc.

The revelation he was involved in Gaetana's attack on the Vhal'Dan is also interesting, not surprising all thins considered, but of all the things he's done that seems to be what he was drawn to apologize in person for.

As to which meditation section is better, hmmm the original was shorter and a bit sharper, I kind of like that, having Yoda explain things out made it a bit less about self realisation and more a teaching moment.

Anyway one wonders what happens now, can he become more than a Shadow,  does he even need or want to...and what will his new path require of him...

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head again here LSG. While he absolutely is not longer Rowahn, he isn't really truly Taegin Roan either. He is a shadow of Taegin and the Jedi, and even if they would let him back in, I don´t think he would rejoin the "Jedi". Yes, he may be once again on the "right" path, but he still has 13 years (I believe, would have to go back and check) of indoctrination and muscle memory from the Empire, so yeah, he will struggle. He will make mistakes. He is kind of like Ahsoka in Rebels now. He is fighting for the "light", but he is no Jedi. I don't even know that he could be considered a "gray Jedi" like Karm and TD have explored. He is his own thing. A Shadow. For the Empire he could never be this person, but for the "light", he can be. I don't know if my ramblings are making any sense anymore. But yeah, he is in a very different place than he has been throughout any of the rest of this book.

I think I may need to do a bit of rewriting, because I was not intending it to seem like Rowahn was with Gaetana during the raid. that "you nearly killed her" was supposed to be in reference to D'Aylanna, not Jorya. It was supposed to be in relation to the battle in chapter 7 where Rowahn fights Zearic and D'Aylanna.

Also, thank you very much for your thoughts on the "meditation" part. I am currently thinking about finding a way to combine the two. Kind of take the best from both, and make something new and better.

And thank you for reading. I realize that is has been 3 years to the day since I started writing this, and even though I have not been consistent, I feel like my writing improved drastically from the prologue to the epilogue thanks to you, Karm, and TD constantly giving feedback. I'm also very glad to see that the story and the themes and ideas that I was trying to present successfully made it across.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2020, 04:18:32 AM »

I think I may need to do a bit of rewriting, because I was not intending it to seem like Rowahn was with Gaetana during the raid. that "you nearly killed her" was supposed to be in reference to D'Aylanna, not Jorya. It was supposed to be in relation to the battle in chapter 7 where Rowahn fights Zearic and D'Aylanna.

Ha partially my mistake as well I forgot that section.

Yeah you can see he is in a very vague realm here, not holding strongly enough to my philosophy or ideology to be considered Jedi, Grey or anything, very much a drifter in the galaxy and in himself I think. It's a very interesting kind of character to have out there.

A long effort but you got there in the end!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

Teagan, way to finish strong!   Wow.   Nicely done.   

Meditation: I think I like the second one better, in all honesty.   :-)   I love the reflective nature of it.  Within my own life, those times of reflection and memory (guided by Providence?  Hmmm) can be the most insightful and fulfilling.  Well written, my friend.

As for our Shadow...    Perhaps that's exactly where he needs to be.  in the shadows, helping from the dark, never really known or identified.   Sort of a force-sensitive version of the old radio drama character.   "Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?   The Shadow knows...."   ;-)

And oh, so many cross-over opportunities....   

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »

I remember when TR reached out and told me his idea concerning the fight between Rowahn and Zearic&D'Aylanna on Belessar and thinking "This is a great idea!"  Imagine my surprise when I'm reading the epilogue revisiting Rowahn/Taegin and Z&D years later, a changed man.  I love the resolution of that facet WITHOUT having dispersed with Rowahn/Taegin's conflict; indeed, I feel that he's an almost completely new character...one with excellent character development.  Speaking of which...

Both LSG and Karm have really hit on the fact that in the scheme of the galaxy, Taegin really is a "warrior without a master," or a "man without his purpose," although that isn't exactly correct either... This opens up the possibilities of self-introspection while also incorporating a perplexity concerning Taegin's entire existence.  Hmm...that would make for another excellent story itself  Smiley

The fact that Taegin has decided to eschew the duality of the "accepted" Sides of the Force is another future point that could be explored, ESPECIALLY as even a counter-point to our resident Gray Orders, the Mak'Tor and Vhal'Dan.  THIS is definitely a concept that I would absolutely enjoy seeing!

As to which I prefer, I really do prefer the latter, and not JUST for the awesome cross-over  Wink  As I said, I feel that this is a big "payoff" for the earlier chapter, really giving us a window into Taegin's motivation, going beyond the normal "Atoner" archtype; instead--and I like the nomenclature, for we really are dealing with a different character--the Shadow hasn't yet found himself fully.  Yet he has enough self-actualization to recognize that there is something that he his striving towards (as epitomized with the Song).  Yes...I could definitely see our Shadow finally coming across one of the Mak'Tor, realizing that they can help (at least somewhat) with his search...only to realize that such is only the second requisite step  Wink

Wonderful job again, TR!  I hope that your next story is forthcoming  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »

Thanks guys. I don't think Taegin is where I originally intended him to be when writing this outline, but I think he is in a better place. I always intended him to end up as something similar to a Jedi Assassin (a Jedi Shadow), but I really didn't know all the character growth that would be caused on his way there.

It has been a fun journey, and I do suspect that they journey will continue, though I may take a break from Taegin and follow a different character for my next story. I'm not entirely sure yet, and I've got about 4 or 5 other characters that would be fun to tell their stories, but I'm not sure which I want to do first. I may go with more of a novella style story before delving back into a full blown novel like this one. We'll see. I have to figure out what the actual story would be in that case. The characters are fun, and a story is starting to develop in my mind now. Maybe I'll go with that one.

I want to catch up on you guys' stories though, so I'll probably spend some time trying to read rather than write. Again, thank you all for reading, and sticking with me for the last 3 years.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: