Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: IT - NON-SPOILER REVIEW  (Read 1697 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: September 09, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »

PLEASE NOTE - THE FOLLOWING IS A SPOILER FREE REVIEW. I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY MAJOR PLOT POINTS FROM THE MOVIE.
"I'll feed on your fear while I feast on your flesh!"

In 1986, the master horror author released a book that went on to become one of the prolific writers most beloved works, especially after it was made into a two part miniseries in 1990. IT is probably directly responsible for the reason why 40% of adults are scared of clowns, thanks to an iconic performance by Tim Curry.

Fast forward 30 years and thanks to a tsunami of 80s nostalgia New Line Cinema decided to adapt the book and produce something less toned down and closer to King's original prose. The first trailer for this new movie broke records and the internet, being viewed close to 190 million times in the first 24 hours. On a related note, the Duffer brothers who created Netflix show Stranger Things, originally pitched to direct the IT remake but were unsuccessful. So they went off and created Stranger Things as a way to pay homage to Stephen King and 80s Spielberg.

Horror movies seem to be going through something of a renaissance in recent years with movies like The Conjuring, Get Out, Lights Out, Don't Breathe and this year's Annabelle: Creation all having critical and box office success. These movies were low budget, but incredibly well made, favouring atmosphere, tension and good story over excessive gore. This new adaptation of Stephen King's book seems to follow this trend even before it plays it's ace in the hole, Pennywise the Dancing Clown, this time played by Bill Skarsgard.

Will this movie be a financial success? Will it live up to all the hype? Will a new generation of young people grow up scarred and scared of clowns?

The story/plot
A group of 7 schoolkids, who ironically dubbed by themselves The Losers Club, start the summer holidays in the town of Derry Maine only to become aware of the tragic history of disappearances that happen in the town. They eventually find themselves drawn into opposition against an evil entity that calls itself Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

Overall opinion
Full disclosure: not only am I big fan of Stephen King, his books and many of the adaptations of his works (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand by Me, The Running Man) but I LOVE creepy clowns (see below for my Halloween costume from 2014).

I remember watching the 1990 miniseries when it debuted on tv (I was 13 at the time) and loving it. I especially loved that virtually every one of my friends was freaked out or flat out terrified of Tim Curry's Pennywise. Why do I mention this? Because, my review may be a little biased. With that being said, I FREAKING LOVED THIS MOVIE.

I only watched the first two trailers as I didn't want anything spoiled for me. The second trailer in particular made this movie one of my most anticipated going into the tail end of 2017. And it is glorious. It is not just a great horror movie, it is a great movie, which didn't have any of it's best bits spoiled by the trailers.

The film manages to balance a coming-of-age movie (similar to Stand By Me) with scares reminiscent of classic horror movies from the past (but manages to avoid or reinvent troupes that we have come to expect from the genre) and also throws in lots of humour too. I was surprised at how funny parts of the movie was. It was unexpected, but very welcome.

The child actors are all great and totally believable as a group who would naturally band together; they have great chemistry.
Updating this part of the story from the 50s to the 80s was a smart move (80s nostalgia is so en vogue right now). And then there is Pennywise. If you weren't scared of clowns before this movie you may finish it never wanting to see a clown again. However the movie gives more layers and dimension to the character so his appearances always feel fresh, different and unexpected. He is not under or overused, but even when he is not on-screen you still feel his presence everywhere.

All in all, the movie is probably the best horror movie we will get this year and will definitely be in my top 10 best films of 2017.

The Performances
Finn Wolfhard - Richie
"The one from Stranger Things" and the kid with the coolest name in Hollywood. Some people may say that he is typecasting himself with these "80s set kid vs monsters" roles, however he plays a completely different character here and is amazing. One of the stand outs in a stellar cast.

Jaeden Lieberher - Bill
The leader(?) of The Losers Club whose brother Georgie has an early encounter with Pennywise. A lot of the movie rests of his young shoulders and he does not disappoint. He delivers a great performance made all the more difficult by the addition of a stutter to the character, which makes him likeable, sympathetic and heroic all at the same time.

Sophia Lillis - Bev
The only girl in The Loser Club, she pretty much steals every scene she is in. She is very much the MVP of the child cast.

Jeremy Ray Taylor - Ben
The overweight kid of The Loser Club and the new kid in town. There is a nice running joke between him and Sophia which is hilarious, especially for those of us who grew up in the 80s.

Chosen Jacobs - Mike
The black kid in The Losers Club and unfortunately he isn't given as much screen time as the others. However he is great whenever he is woven into the story.

Jack Dylan Grazer - Eddie
The hypochondriac of The Losers Club and as fast talking as Mouth from Goonies. Another funny and engaging performance in the group and definitely a standout performance.

Wyatt Oleff - Stan
A Jewish kid who is just about to have is Bar Mitzvah. Similar to Chosen Jacobs in the sense that he doesn't have as much screen time as some of the other kids, but when called upon, he really steps up and matches those around him. Also, the little character moment he does with his bike is just brilliant and very subtle.

Bill Skarsgard - Pennywise the Dancing Clown
Most people know his more famous father and brother better. And Tim Curry left some big (clown) shoes to fill: Even people who have never seen the 1990 miniseries know who Pennywise is and what Tim Curry's version looked life. So Skarsgard had to pull out all the stops to create a new, but equally creepy and scary character that was over-the-top. And, boy, did he succeed. From the vintage clown costume to the seemingly unnatural passive stare he has to the extremely disturbing voice, this version of Pennywise is definitely it's own thing and will be viewed as a different portrayal of the same character, rather than be directly compared to what came before.

OTHER STUFF
The Scares
The point of a horror movie is to scare people and this movie uses a number of techniques, other than jump scares, to achieve this goal. And it does them well. Fortunately, none of the best bits have been ruined by the trailers and this is the first time is years I have heard an entire audience collectively scream as several different points in the movie.

The CGI
CGI is used very well to compliment and enhance Skarsgard performance, but is not overdone to take away from the overall feeling of dread.

The Cinematography
Beautifully shot, using the most of the real world location where the movie was shot, they managed to give everything a little unsettling vibe at the same time.

The Pacing
Incredibly well paced. Although it's a shade over 2 hours long, I was never bored or wondering how much time was left. The balancing between character moments, advancing the story, having scares, fun little moments between the characters and some laugh-out-loud moments was incredibly well done.

Final verdict
"You'll float too"

IT (2017) is an amazing movie and definitely lives up to all the hype of the marketing campaign. You can definitely put this movie alongside movies like Misery and The Shining as examples of good Stephen King adaptations (and there are many bad adaptations of his work over the years). If you like horror movies then you will love this movie. If you want to scare a friend who is terrified of clowns, this is the movie for you. I cannot wait for the sequel that deals with the second part of King's book with the characters all grown up.

Score - 9.2/10

My Movie rating system
10- Citizen "F*%king" Kane (A+)
9- Bloody Great (A)
8- Really rather good (A-)
7- Pretty decent (B+)
6- Definitely above average (B)
5- Middle of the road average (C)
4- Mediocre (D)
3- Meh (E)
2- Crap (F)
1- Why the hell did I waste my my time and money on this abomination (unrated)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »

Took my kids to see it today, my daughter is 15, my son 13. We all liked it although maybe not as much as you did. The humor was great and I think I laughed more than anybody else in the theater. But I thought it was mostly jump scares unlike you, but had some cool creepy parts. Maybe that is what you are referring too. I started watching "horror" movies since I was probably 5, hell maybe sooner thanks to my older sisters and us growing up with cable TV when it was a rare thing, so I can honestly say nothing scares me in a movie. I wish it would but it doesn't. I think the last time a movie really freaked me out was The Shinning (lady in the bathtub) and I was 9. Point in trying to make is maybe I'm not the guy to say how scary or not it is.

Anyway it was very enjoyable and if anybody likes that kind of thing for sure to see it! If your old like me with kids use a little caution. You know your own kids, I wouldn't say there is anything to traumatizing, but there are a few F bombs and some blood. So just keep that in mind.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:10:57 AM »

Great in-depth review, Knox! I never saw the original TV series, but I knew the basics about Pennywise before going to see it. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it, too, and going to see it again on Saturday night.

I loved the casting, too, and immediately recognized "Mike" from Stranger Things. I don't think there's anything for him to worry about being type cast. He's already to good of an actor for that. Bev was so darling! She's got a bright career in Hollywood ahead of her, like Millie Bobbie Brown, aka "Eleven" from Stranger Things. A lot of talent with these kids.

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:17:11 AM »

Without trying to spoil anything, you say it was closer to the book.  Did they mention the Turtle?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:29:07 AM »

Without trying to spoil anything, you say it was closer to the book.  Did they mention the Turtle?

There is a reference to it, yes. A small easter egg.  Smiley

Chances are high that more of that aspect of the book will appear in the sequel to expand upon Pennywise's true nature and origins.

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:34:51 AM »

There is a reference to it, yes. A small easter egg.  Smiley

Chances are high that more of that aspect of the book will appear in the sequel to expand upon Pennywise's true nature and origins.

Interesting

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Grey Jedi Sam Adam
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: -44

I am a guardian of balance.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »

Hey Darth Knox, Took my wife to see IT this past Saturday and we very much enjoyed it. Excited to see Chapter 2. We are both big fans of the original mini series movie and were pleased to see that the essence of it was still there in this new one. I thought they did a great job! It definitely holds up on its own in all aspects. I especially love the "Georgie meets Pennywise" sequence at the beginning. It was frightening! Nice work on your review. Well written and very impressive! Can't wait to see it again. I very much agree with your 9.2/10 rating. With that said, here's 2 thumbs up, one red balloon and a "You'll Float Too!"  Wink

GREY JEDI SAM ADAM (The strength to remain steadfast against all odds)
SABER COLLECTION: *Aeon Le v4 (CG) *Dominix Le v2 (BR)
*Dark Initiate Le v4 (GB) *Aeon v2 (FO) *Dark Standard Issue Battle Saber v3 (SD) *Flamberge Se (BR) *Initiate v2 (FO) *Dark Initiate v2 (BR) *Aeon Le v5 (VA) *Manticore (CG) *Prophecy v3 (GB) *Initiate v3 (FO)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: