Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: To Sound or Not to Sound  (Read 3321 times)
ALAKAI
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« on: September 09, 2017, 12:34:31 AM »

Curious.

For those people who are getting together in groups and learning how to duel, do you normally go with sound? Seems like there will just be a bunch of noise clashing and bashing, would be cool at the beginning but if the motive is to practice dueling and battling, would you rather have it be silent?

Now ultimately I would to have a saber with sound by myself at home and all (unless it keeps people up) to practice on my own but is there some code or thought about to sound or not to sound?

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:32:07 AM »

For purely training purposes, especially in a group, I'd say go with a stunt saber (no sound)
For one on one demos, go with sound

nathanielreykun
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »

Get the V4 sound so you can mute it with a few quick button presses.

Dark Apprentice V4 Stunt
Initiate V3/Mantis Combo Stunt
Aeon V2 Stunt
Reaper Obsidian Lite
Sentinel LE V4 Obsidian V4QR CouplerApprentice LE V4 Obsidian V4
Modified Mantis CE Custom Obsidian V4

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 03:32:42 PM »

Yes, this. It answers the question perfectly since it lets you have both.

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

Yes, this. It answers the question perfectly since it lets you have both.

Yep.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »

I will say this in defense of the lowly stunt: the batteries last longer.  My V4/Emerald is awesome, but even muted it lasts at most a couple of hours.  A stunt generally lasts longer, and where my sound-equipped hilt also just "winks out" when it goes dead the stunts also will fade out, giving you some grace period.  Plus you can slap in some replacement AAA batteries pretty quick, but I don't have spare rechargables for the other. 

OF course, a few spare batteries would solve the problem....  LOL

Anyway, stunts have a place, but if you're going to just have one saber, the V4 is the best option.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:49 PM »

I've seen this question a lot, and it's a legitimate one.  Unfortunately, there's no universal answer - it's very dependent on people's priorities.  Some people feel that a saber without sound doesn't fulfill the fantasy enough for them, they need to hear the hums and clashes to feel like they're wielding a lightsaber.  While this is understandable, there are others who are completely fine with stunts, and don't desire to pay the (significant) upgrade for sound.

Personally, I tend to think that everyone should have one of each, for different purposes.  Sound equipped sabers are extremely fun to me in short bursts - wielding them around the house, or clashing briefly with friends.  For actual sparring or training, I find stunts to be less distracting.  Also, like Karmack said, a well installed stunt can last a LONG time on a single charge of Li-ion batteries!  Anyway, that's my take on it, after years of collecting these.  Each person has to decide for him/herself.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »

Personally, I tend to think that everyone should have one of each, for different purposes.  Sound equipped sabers are extremely fun to me in short bursts - wielding them around the house, or clashing briefly with friends.  For actual sparring or training, I find stunts to be less distracting.  Also, like Karmack said, a well installed stunt can last a LONG time on a single charge of Li-ion batteries!  Anyway, that's my take on it, after years of collecting these.  Each person has to decide for him/herself.

This right here.  I have a few with sound, an always growing collection as I tend to do my own sound conversions.  (though, I do sometimes buy with sound too)  If I'm just playing around, I'll grab one of my sound sabers for the fun and fully immersive experience.  However, if I'm legitimately trying a spin move or even a slash or other technique, I'll just grab one of my stunts.  There's no need to have sound and whatnot if I'm just trying to get a move right.  Plus, if I'm watching an instructional video by Darth Nonymous or Darth Cephalus, or whoever, then I don't want to have to crank up the volume on the video to hear it over the saber.  Mute is nice, I have a mute function on three of my sound sabers, but the batteries still don't last as long as they do in a saber that's just driving an LED.

Bluelightsaber
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 51

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37:39 AM »

Does the diamond let you mute it with gestures or anything?

ALAKAI
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: -4

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »

This right here.  I have a few with sound, an always growing collection as I tend to do my own sound conversions.  (though, I do sometimes buy with sound too)  If I'm just playing around, I'll grab one of my sound sabers for the fun and fully immersive experience.  However, if I'm legitimately trying a spin move or even a slash or other technique, I'll just grab one of my stunts.  There's no need to have sound and whatnot if I'm just trying to get a move right.  Plus, if I'm watching an instructional video by Darth Nonymous or Darth Cephalus, or whoever, then I don't want to have to crank up the volume on the video to hear it over the saber.  Mute is nice, I have a mute function on three of my sound sabers, but the batteries still don't last as long as they do in a saber that's just driving an LED.

That makes total sense. I am actually kinda happy that it does not have sound since I play with it when the kid is asleep as well. Good stuff

boogermancan
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:35:39 PM »

Does the diamond let you mute it with gestures or anything?
it dose have a muted mode

I know what I want .But I just don't know !
The Graflex CE with Sound (Diamond)
Scorpion with Sound (Diamond)
Emperor's Hand with Sound (Diamond)
ElectrumWind-  Emerald sound
Spectre (diamond) w sound
Fulcrum (diamond) w sound
Lost gray (diamond) w sound
Crimson Butcher (diamond) w sound
Dark apprentice 
InitiateV2

JdiKnhtJMH
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 262

Jedi Weapons Master

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 05:54:29 AM »

I started buying stunt sabers because sound was too expensive. But if once you buy a saber with sound, forever will it dominate your destiny. And your wallet. I suggest just starting with the sabers with sound, it's inevitable, and it'll save you money to start there rather than collecting stunt sabers for a while. My collection is now at 20 sabers all with premium sound.

Arsenal with Obsidian Sound And Silver Flash on Clash:

Kylo Ren Flamberge, Dark War Glaive, Reaper w/ Dornian pommel, Bane, Menace, Vader Prophecy, Darth Sidious Initiate V4
Dorinian, Obi Wan ROTS Archon, Regal Mantis, Spectre, Anakin AOTC Prophecy
Consular, Dark Shock, Yoda Initiate, Luke ROTJ Archon, Kit Fisto Menace
RGB: Bellicose Staff, Raven, Manticore Staff, Emerald Catalyst
Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »

I have 15 sabers, 4 with sound. I play with the stunts more because of when I get time to play is at night and sound is not a good idea with the neighbors I have.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: