Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Changing out soundboards in different sabers  (Read 1406 times)
Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -28

« on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »

So I purchased some second hand sabers as well as a mystery box.  The second hand sabers are out of warranty and I know this would void the warranty on my mystery box saber but I want to try to switch out boards and LEDs

I have...

an archon v2 with a obsidian v4 chip and red led

a reaper with a obsidian v3 with a purple led with FOC and a buck puck

a reaper with a stunt orange setup (though the hilt is empty at the moment as I am customizing it.

I have a Scorpion with v3 sound and red led

-------------

I want the two reapers to have the v3 chip and red leds as I want to staff them. 

The scorpion to have the v4 chip and the purple led

Then my archon will have a rgbw set up in the future. 

I am decent with saudering and have a esd safe iron.

Is what I am wanting to do able to be done or will it be a huge job and I should not attempt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:24 AM »

It's definitely able to be done. I guess what you really have to ask is,  
#1 Is it something you want to do?  
#2 Is it worth your time?
#3 Are you confident enough to try and are you okay if you screw up.
If you can answer yes to all three then go for it. If not then pay US to do it or just get what you want. You can always sell those.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Darth Dragon
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -28

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:57:46 AM »

I am confident in doing all but exchanging the boards to be honest.  I don't think I will mess anything  up just desoldering and resoldering the switch and led.  I think I will leave the board alone for now as that kinda scares me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »

Swapping a sound setup to another saber is pretty dang easy, to be honest.  You don't have to mess with soldering the board, switch or LED at all to be honest.  Of course, take out your batteries before snipping and soldering anything, but I'd imagine you already knew that.  Afterwards, remove your switch.  Your wires should have plenty of play to them, especially if you've got the pack at least partially into the saber.  (don't put it in fully without batteries, they're a pain to get back out)  Get plenty of the wire out and snip the wires on down a bit, to where you can just strip them and solder them back together.  Afterwards, pull out the pack fully and snip the wires coming out of the buck puck.  If you have flash on clash, there will also be a wire leading to the FoC negative from the board.  Snip that too.  All of those snips should also be done "out in space" a bit so that you can just strip and sold the wires.  After you snip those wires, everything will come right out.  Doing that will save you from having to do any soldering to the board, LED and switch.  Reassembly is simple after that.  Just strip and re-solder wires.  Though, as those hilts are different lengths, you may want to have some extra wire on hand and you will, of course, need heat shrink.

Alternately, you can also snip the switch wires down by the board too, it's doer's choice.  Wink

The only thing you have to worry about is if the stunt Reaper has the same kind of switch as the saber that it's getting the sound board from.  If so, you can just swap the switches when you do the electronics switch.  The stunts use a latching switch, which goes down and "clicks" and stays down until you hit it again.  The sound sabers have a momentary switch, which doesn't stay down and springs back up.  This type of switch is necessary to how the boards function.  If they have the same style of switch, (guarded or AV) it won't be an issue.  If they don't, you may need to pick up some new switches, but that's not an issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: