Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fixing damaged aluminum / surface coating?  (Read 1269 times)
Kazarak
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:50 PM »

I had/have a Lost Grey, beautiful US saber, ended up having a lose wire, tried to take it apart before I knew how to and ended up scratching it "deep scratch". I ended up turning it in to a project. I took it completely apart, removing all the insides, sleeve etc. Now I have a very shiny exterior, but anytime I touch it, it get finger prints all over it. Is there supposed to be a coating after polishing it that keeps finger prints off of it? I mean I want to use the saber, but the prints drives me crazy. If this is already covered please point me in that direction. Thank you.

Before -

After -

KaztiJosou - Jedi Knight
Rebel Legion - Ra Kura Base - FL

Graflex SE - GB - Obsidian lite (My original saber)
Lost Grey - Emerald - Obsidian V4 - Port
(from grab bag)
Lost Grey - VA - Obsdian
Initiate LE V4 Stunt - Lite
Initiate LE - Stunt - BR
Apprentice LE V4 - Stunt - AB
Dark Initiate LE V4 - BR - Lite
Dark Initiate LE - FO - Obsidian
Dark Initiate V4 - Stunt - BR
Dark Sentinel - Stunt - BR
Dark Sentinel LE - EG - Obsidian - FoC silver
Sentinel - Stunt - AS
Aeon V2 - Stunt - EG

MaskofMany
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -151

All your sabers are belong to us...

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »

I could be wrong, BUT...  I'm pretty sure that the finish is purely from a very fine polish, rather than some kind of chemical finish.  I'd say to call around to different metal shops in the area, or knife-sharpening companies and ask if they are capable of polishing an aluminum tube to a 1200 or 2000-grit (or even higher) finish.  If you don't have any luck there, ask US directly if they have any suggestions or metalsmiths they know that you could send it to to buff it out.

I make knives as a hobby, and regularly polish steel to a mirror like what your saber had originally - and truth be told buffing out your saber wouldn't be that hard of a job, but it takes some time to do and do right, and if I were familiar with working with aluminum I'd offer to do it myself because I have the tools to do it, but...it's not something I know how to work with that way.

Dark Side Points Please Smiley

Jediseth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 828

"If I told you, you wouldn't like it." Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:50 AM »

If it were mine I'd just weather the crap out of it and make it look old. I don't like them so shinny you can see your teeth in it. Plus it makes it more like a real lightsaber in my opinion. Like it was used in battle. That's  just me though.

Guardian : GB, FOC Red, V4, 11-15                        Reaper: V4, BR, 4-17
Chosen One CE : Emerald, V4, 12-15
Consular: Emerald V4, 1-16
Manticore: BR, FOC Orange, QD, V4, 11-16
Monarch: Emerald, V4, 2016 Autumn Raffle -1st
Arbiter: V4, SD, Silver FOC, QD, 3-17
Archon V2.1, Diamond, 4-17

Shuriken
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »

How did you separate the internal black chassis from the  silver exterior?  I think I may need to do the same in order to fit the led/board/speaker etc...  also, how does the heatsink/led assembly secure inside the hilt.  I can’t see how it won’t just slide around inside  Embarrassed

‘If there’s a bright centre to the universe, I live in a town that it’s farthest from”

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »

I had/have a Lost Grey, beautiful US saber, ended up having a lose wire, tried to take it apart before I knew how to and ended up scratching it "deep scratch". I ended up turning it in to a project. I took it completely apart, removing all the insides, sleeve etc. Now I have a very shiny exterior, but anytime I touch it, it get finger prints all over it. Is there supposed to be a coating after polishing it that keeps finger prints off of it? I mean I want to use the saber, but the prints drives me crazy. If this is already covered please point me in that direction. Thank you.

Before -

After -

I would just use a clear coat paint on it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: