Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hide and Seek  (Read 31406 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2017, 06:46:31 PM »

Arnor helped me into a comfortable seat and loaded the crystal into the data terminal.  At first nothing happened, then a message appeared - in runes.  She turned a puzzled expression to me.  "What is that?"

I grinned at her.  "Those are runes, like the ones in the Temple here on M'Tzigon.  The founders of the Order used them instead of Aurebesh.  They spoke a different language back then as well..."  I read the script on the screen.  "It says, roughly, 'gene sequence code required for security lock bypass'." 

Arnor scowled.  "So ... how do we hack past it?"

"Who says we need to hack?"  I said, eyebrows rising.  "Your genes worked on Coruscant.  Try it here."

"Ok..." Arnor turned back to the panel and placed her finger on the scanner, which took a miniscule prick of her blood and tissue and ran it through an analyzer.  "How long do you think..."

Arnor cut herself off as the screen blanked and the console activated the holographic projector.  An image of a man wearing simple robes appeared.  He began to speak but the words made no sense.

"Computer, translate vocal to standard and restart playback." I said.

There was a pause and the image froze, then reset and began again.  "Greetings, Tolan!  I wish I could have seen you again with my own eyes, but circumstances overcame me here.  If you are seeing this message, then you have managed to reach the shrine and restore the crystal to its chamber.  It is hidden for now, you will know where.  The Sith are everywhere.  I have put the defensive measures we discussed before you left in place and I believe they will be sufficient to protect this place.  Unfortunately, they are reactive to ALL force-users, and so will kill me as well as any interlopers soon enough.  As you can imagine, attempting to NOT connect with the force, not even to listen to the song, is nearly impossible.  Especially in this place."

"Pause." Arnor said.  The recording obediently froze.  "Karm, you're the history buff.  Is this Kage Pollar?  And who is Tolan?"

I pointed to the saber hanging from the figures' belt.  "That's the same saber.  Look at the markings.  As for Tolan..."  I stroked my beard, thinking hard.  "If I remember the legends, Maenowan Tolan Dunor was one of the Sages lost shortly after the Sith takeover of our center on Coruscant.  She led the evacuation from the Spire to M'Tzigon, then went back and never returned..." 

"No, she did not." grated a deep, gravelly voice from the doorway.  "Its long been one of the great mysteries of our order."

I turned toward the door with a smile.  "Master!  What brings you to our humble home?"

"Him, actually." Master Chillum pointed at the frozen image.  "I've inquired at Kage Pollar's holocron several times over the years, and it always ended the same: The answer lies within."  He laughed.  "Cryptic.  Even purposely misleading, since I was asking direct questions about the Spire sanctuary and its demise.  We always assumed there was a second holocron within the sealed walls, but the last time anyone tried to enter..."

"They died."  Arnor said.  "We saw several bodies scattered around the entrance.  I assumed they were Sith or grave robbers or even Jedi who tried to access the vault.  Are you saying they were ... Mak'Tor Grays?"

Chillum nodded, his eyes very opaque.  "Yes.  Mostly Koawan Knights."  His eyes focused on me.  "You were there, but you never left the temple. Koawan Silvick kept you and the other younglings occupied while we probed the site.  The "curse" killed most of us before we reached a safe distance.  We couldn't recover the bodies near the site."

I blinked.  I'd been very young, and not in formal training when I visited Coruscant.  The Jedi Temple had been a blur of incredible sites and impossible events...."  Yes.  I do have a very vague memory of the visit, and coming home with fewer people than we'd gone with.  I never knew why, though.  I think I was ... four?"

"Three." Chillum replied without hesitation.  "Silvick was planning to take you as his Taedowan, as you were his brother's son, but he was killed assisting a Jedi during the Clone Wars.  That's why you ended up with me, instead."  The old man's eyes twinkled.  "Scarred you for life, I'm afraid."

Arnor chuckled.  "More than you know.  He refuses to take a position on the Council, you know.  That's your fault."

The old man shook his head.  "Aye, lass, it is.  All that complaining about being put out to pasture and not being able to do the good I wanted to do."  His demeanor stopped.  "I wish I could have stayed in the field, but that was not my song to sing.  My place has been here, supporting the Kage.  Whereas you two..."  He turned back to me.  "When do you think you'll be back in condition, my boy?

I shrugged.  "Not soon enough.  Probably a month for the healing to complete, and another month to get back into shape." 

"Good."  Master Chillum lowered himself into a chair, moving gracefully despite his age and obvious frailty.  "Now, lets hear the rest of what Kage Pollar has to say, shall we?"

I tapped the key to resume and the hologram picked up where it had left off.  "So, Tolan, I am undoubtedly dead.  I am keying the defenses to your genetic code.  You will be able to access the sanctuary and free the crystal.  Come, restore the balance, and take me home.  Without the balance, the Light and Dark foci in the deep cavern will tear at each other and mute the power of this place.  That will hold the Sith's power in check for now, but balance must be restored.  And so it shall: So I have foreseen and written on the doorway for all to see.  The truth lies within."  The Kage's face wrinkled into a crooked smile.  "And now I bid you farewell.  Sing the song, Tolan, my daughter.  Sing the song."

The holographic figure bowed his head and the holograph ended. 

"So, there was a third crystal."  Master Chillum's gravelly voice was thoughtful.  "We always assumed that restoring balance would come from placing the light crystal back in its place down below.  But the two crystals were regulated by a third..."

I nodded.  "When I replaced the Light crystal in the cavern at the base of the Spire, the "white noise" that had been humming all along intensified.  But now I understand why the Sith were all over the Spire.  They were desperate to find out why the buzzing was suddenly bothering them as well as light-siders."  I looked at Arnor.  "That's what he meant by the prophecy.  Pollar's writing on the door saying the day would come when balance was restored.  He just didn't expect it to take a millenia."

"No, he did not."  Chillum rose.  "Part one of your mission is complete.  I've contacted ... an old friend.  We still need to find out where the original Singing crystal was taken and how these "children" are being produced."

"Master, I'm not ready to..." I began.

"Master Chillum, Karmack's in no condition to..." Arnor also began.

Master Chillum's raised hand silenced both of us.  "Did I say 'Go now'?  No!  Heal!  Rest.  Enjoy some time together.  Get your friend Illian and his wife settled.  Then report to the Council in ... 90 days.  No sooner!" he pointed his knarled finger straight at me.  "You need a rest, Karmack.  Maenowan or not, Sage or not, you take some time!  That's an order.  Then, when you're ready, come and see us. We'll have the details of the rest of your mission for you then."

I nodded, sinking back into my chair in relief.  "Yes sir."

The old, bright eyes shifted to Arnor.  "Ninety days!  Make him rest, young woman!"

She bowed and nodded.  "Yes sir."

"Good.  The song embrace you both." Chillum bowed, turned and left.

"The song embrace you, Master."

*** The end ... for now ***

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 427

« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2017, 09:40:37 PM »

There's always more to do it seems...chasing the legacies of their forbears, seems the tussle for the sacred sites on Coruscant has left a long shadow across not just that world but the Gray Jedi and galaxy at large.  Good to see Chillum make an appearance too. Interesting that this is only part one of their mission, I guess my worry would be after so much travail just to get to this point, as resilient as Karmack and Arnor are, and even with Illian and Talias help, at what point will the accumulation of all these events start to take a toll on them...and how might that effect them...that is after all they've experienced even with a few months rest it still must leave a mark....Will have to wait an see I suppose!   

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »

There's always more to do it seems...chasing the legacies of their forbears, seems the tussle for the sacred sites on Coruscant has left a long shadow across not just that world but the Gray Jedi and galaxy at large.  Good to see Chillum make an appearance too. Interesting that this is only part one of their mission, I guess my worry would be after so much travail just to get to this point, as resilient as Karmack and Arnor are, and even with Illian and Talias help, at what point will the accumulation of all these events start to take a toll on them...and how might that effect them...that is after all they've experienced even with a few months rest it still must leave a mark....Will have to wait an see I suppose!   

That's one reason that Chillum basically orders Karmack to take a vacation.  :-)  You're right, this kind of thing takes a toll.  I'll address that to some extent in the opening of the next story set.   Hopefully I can find a way to write the next one without beating Karmack to bloody strips this time.  LOL

Thanks guys!  More to come!  I promise!

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2017, 03:43:34 AM »

Like LSG, I'm so glad you put Master Chillum into this one. Instantly a favorite character of mine. Such a real person. To me he reminds me of a grandpa. Mean and gruff on the outside, but that is all just an appearance. Inside, he has a sense of humor, and is full of tenderness, but is also strong and firm. Not to mention wise. I really hope he has a bigger role in the next one. Anyways, great job. So much happened, and now we find out this is only the beginning? You have a great gift for writing, and I (im)patiently wait the next story. But until then, I guess I'll have to be content reading LSG, TD, and HB1's stories, and writing my own. Wink Until next time friends.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »

Excellent ending!  But I LOVE the hook!!  "The Spire" "Tolan" Master Chillum's (great to see him in situ!) "Old Friend"

Karm you know exactly how to leave us wanting more! 

LSG brings up a good point: how legacies can cast a LONG shadow "of their forbears" (excellent turn of phrase, that  Wink. Hmmm). Again: this is fresh!  I wish I could write as swift as you Karm but I end up having to correct the clichés I incorporate...SO longer intervals between submissions  Wink

Like LSG, I'm so glad you put Master Chillum into this one. Instantly a favorite character of mine. Such a real person. To me he reminds me of a grandpa. Mean and gruff on the outside, but that is all just an appearance. Inside, he has a sense of humor, and is full of tenderness, but is also strong and firm. Not to mention wise. I really hope he has a bigger role in the next one. Anyways, great job. So much happened, and now we find out this is only the beginning? You have a great gift for writing, and I (im)patiently wait the next story. But until then, I guess I'll have to be content reading LSG, TD, and HB1's stories, and writing my own. Wink Until next time friends.
Excellently put TR! That is precisely what Master Chillum elicits for me!

And thanks TR for your support sir  Wink

Until next (story) installment friends  Cheesy

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2017, 11:24:23 PM »

That's one reason that Chillum basically orders Karmack to take a vacation.  :-)  You're right, this kind of thing takes a toll.  I'll address that to some extent in the opening of the next story set.   Hopefully I can find a way to write the next one without beating Karmack to bloody strips this time.  LOL

Thanks guys!  More to come!  I promise!

One thing I also wonder about is could exposure to large surges of force energy effect a person in odd ways, Karmack has just in a short period been exposed to some pretty intense force powers....I think there was something in the EU somewhere about sudden drastic exposure of surges in dark side energy could alter someone's personality as it left a 'stain' like radiation poisoning...might be something I'll have to explore a bit in my own stories at some point. 

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2017, 11:41:43 PM »

One thing I also wonder about is could exposure to large surges of force energy effect a person in odd ways, Karmack has just in a short period been exposed to some pretty intense force powers....I think there was something in the EU somewhere about sudden drastic exposure of surges in dark side energy could alter someone's personality as it left a 'stain' like radiation poisoning...might be something I'll have to explore a bit in my own stories at some point. 
Oh NICE LSG.  I would NOT have thought of that, but, why not?  Force energy leaves a...resonance (think about the cave on Dagobah when Yoda tests Luke in ESB).  A place that won't "give up the ghost" as it were...

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2017, 02:01:53 AM »

Hmm.  That's an interesting concept and one that I hadn't really thought through.  I will have to think on that some.  This could certainly come into play, though.  And not just with Karmack...  :-)

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2018, 09:55:12 PM »

*Spoiler Alert*
I know who the Jedi with the rich green blade is. Luke Skywalker. Grin

Great job. Once again, I love how it is less centered on action, and more on story and character building. Really shows that you have a knowledge of writing, as well as how to keep the audience interested. You build a world that is both realistic, and believable, though at the same time inherently Star Wars. As always, looking forward to more.

LOL even though this is ancient history now.... I thought I would let you know that this made me giggle.

On another note, Karm, I like that I'm getting to see with this how the song is incorporated into visions. Cheesy It gives great perspective on our previous discussion.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:49 PM »

LOL even though this is ancient history now.... I thought I would let you know that this made me giggle.

On another note, Karm, I like that I'm getting to see with this how the song is incorporated into visions. Cheesy It gives great perspective on our previous discussion.

That's good. That is what I was going for with it. Grin

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2018, 06:22:09 AM »

Oh its still all pretty live...some of the events in this story are quite important for the current series What You Leave Behind...also good to reflect on how Karm's style as a writer developed and his ideas coalesce more strongly over time.

Lord_S_Gray

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »

Oh its still all pretty live...some of the events in this story are quite important for the current series What You Leave Behind...also good to reflect on how Karm's style as a writer developed and his ideas coalesce more strongly over time.

I believe she was specifically talking about my quote being ancient history, not the going-ons in the story.  Wink

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »

I believe she was specifically talking about my quote being ancient history, not the going-ons in the story.  Wink

TR is correct in his assumptions, but thank you for the spoilers, LS lol

Just finished! Cheesy slowly but surely catching up on the forumverse! Onto the next story.... “A Tarnished Night” according to the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: