Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Best Sabers for Spinning  (Read 5827 times)
Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

Saber: Lost Cray (was the Lost Gray)

« on: September 27, 2017, 10:59:59 PM »

Trying to decide on my next saber, but I want one that's good for spinning, I have a Lost Gray and the 1.5 diameter is a little wide for me to spin with, either that or I need someone to show me what I'm doing wrong.

Looking at the Catalyst, which is 12.5 long and 1.125 at it's narrowest and 1.5 at the widest, which is the same as my Lost Gray.

So help me out, I'd love to hear your thought's on which you like.
Thais is for single blade, not interested at this time for staff.

Thanks, Croft  Grin

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:40:22 PM »

A lot of people say that the Aeon/Dominix/Initiate v3 sabers are great. I don't have one, so I don't know. I really love my Apprentice, and that is another one that many people say is great for spinning. I don't know much about most of the sabers, but I would recommend an Apprentice. As to which saber is the "best", I feel like that is a personal choice.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:47:30 AM »

I have the Sentinel LE and I have to say that it feels great ergonomically and has great choke points.  Hope that this helps  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

As a rule of thumb, the better hilts for handling tend to be the simpler ones.  The Catalyst is a good choice, although in my experience, the emitter depth is very shallow (which will affect your point of balance and stability).  However, the choke point on that hilt does make spinning quite comfortable.

Additionally, length can be a factor to consider.  Longer hilts will add more weight on the bottom of the saber, shifting the point of balance more toward the emitter.  On the other hand, a longer hilt will be slightly more difficult to maneuver, so you may catch it on your clothing or limbs.  IMO, shorter hilts tend to be the best choices for spinning, so I recommend the Apprentice, Initiate, and Prophecy.

Master Resolute
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -453

Dark Jedi

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »

My two favorite hilts to spin are the Bellicose or the Sentinel LE. It all depends on where you want the balance point. Like Nero says, the simple hilts tend to have a little bit better handling. I prefer longer hilts where the weight is not as evenly distributed and tends to heavier on the hilt side. I add weights to the Bellicose sometimes to change the weight even more so I can spin even faster. ( If the weight is more in the hilt, things like flourishes will be easier if you are a beginner or learning a new technique. You can also go the other way and go as light as possible but we find that the extra weight helps understand motion mechanics a little better/faster. )

As for adding weight, I wouldn't do that until you have an understanding of the spins. Real easy to hurt something if you go to heavy. We use the 9 ring broadsword for stamina, strength and conditioning.

-- Remember....your Focus determines your Reality. --
-- If you gaze long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss will gaze back into you --

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »

I'd say use an aeon or dominix v4, get it without windows and hold it where the windows would be.  If you put a 32 inch blade in it, it'll just spin itself lol.

This sabers incredibly balanced for spinning,
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1zHKGNZWQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK1zHKGNZWQ</a>

I also second the Sentinel as a good choice, and I favor that hilt for a 36 inch blade.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »

I'd say use an aeon or dominix v4, get it without windows and hold it where the windows would be.  If you put a 32 inch blade in it, it'll just spin itself lol.

This.  All of it.  Smiley

If you want prettier, go for the LE versions.  I have one of each in LE without windows and they're pretty and a joy to spin.  (though, I'm not very good Wink )

Croft
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 28

Saber: Lost Cray (was the Lost Gray)

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »

Thanks for all the input, this saber will be for my wife and my self, I'm the one who wants to learn spinning and for her so we can fight, yay.
Bellicose was on my list, the catalyst was my first choice, but a shallow emitter concerns me for fighting.

Oy

Croft  Grin

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »

Catalyst is a good one, it has a choke point around the neck that helps.

Enso Marr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -43

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »

I prefer the V2 hilts for the smaller diameter.

May your fire burn both bright and beautiful, within and around you, that all may know your unrelenting freedom.

Follow @MasterEnso on Instagram for regular lightsaber and fire shenanigans.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:24:01 PM »

my sentinel V4 is amazing for spins. I use it all the time

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Akacen
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 64

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »

I would think the Initiate or Apprentice series would be best. I have a Sentinel and an Aeon and they're definitely my favorites, with Catalyst close behind.

For easy spinning, though, I would say go with Initiate/Apprentice or Sentinel/Aeon, depending on what hilt length you want. (don't do windows, though. They can catch if you're not careful and not wearing gloves)

Catalyst was my first and will always hold a special place, but the emitter can be sharp, so watch out. Smiley

LS points please. ^.^

My Sabers:
Stunt: Initiate (CG), Catalyst (SRD), Mantis CE (AB), Aeon v2 (CG), Dark Apprentice v4 (BR), Dark Initiate v4 (CG), Apprentice LE v5 (AB), Sentinel LE v5 (AB, SRD), Aeon LE v5 (SRD), Arbiter (GB), Consular (CG), Spectre (FO)
Lite Sound: Catalyst (SRD), Sentinel LE V4 (AB)
V4 Sound: Aeon LE v4 (CG), Bellicose (FO), Lost Gray (SRD)
Emerald: Fulcrum

Wishlist: Grand Master LE (currently in cart), Savior, Brood Guard SE, Dorinian, Flamberge CE, Shock LE, Dark War Glaive, Guardian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: