Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Author Topic: A Tarnished Knight  (Read 22129 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:28 PM »

Pretty soon here, we are just going to take over the SW universe. Cheesy

Thanks guys. I don't plan to quit, and even have a few other stories in mind that I should write. (Not SW, but in other universes of mine). You guys have definitely helped with that.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »

Yeah TR, all joking aside, Karm's right: there's no need to "keep up;" firstly, you're doing great  Smiley, secondly, you write at your speed^^  Besides: you can't force inspiration  Cheesy. But, and I can't reiterate what Karm said enough: JUST DON'T QUIT!

Concerning meeting IRL: I'll be the goateed fat guy in the Jedi robes  Wink. Seriously: that would be awesome!  But we might have a...geography problem (I'm West Coast; I can PM details  Smiley).  But we can work around that  Cheesy

Collaboration!  Crossovers!!  Cool!!!  I am totally on board  Grin

Totally with you.  Geography: I'm in Alabama.  :-/   LOL

Anyone going to any conventions???  he he he

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »

Thanks guys. I don't plan to quit, and even have a few other stories in mind that I should write. (Not SW, but in other universes of mine). You guys have definitely helped with that.

That's the key: Just keep writing.  I have a half-dozen other projects going these days, including a full-length novel that may one day get published, I hope.  :-)  But you should always write!  If this has spurred you on to that, then its a GOOD thing!  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »

Totally with you.  Geography: I'm in Alabama.  :-/   LOL

Anyone going to any conventions???  he he he

I'm kinda up and too the left of everybody else, so probably wont happen anytime soon. Roll Eyes

That's the key: Just keep writing.  I have a half-dozen other projects going these days, including a full-length novel that may one day get published, I hope.  :-)  But you should always write!  If this has spurred you on to that, then its a GOOD thing!  :-)

My sister is also into writing, so I bounce ideas off her pretty regularly. But I'm glad that there are others to encourage me since I am not really a writer. I like the acting side of things better.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »

Lol why not?  You guys are great writers  Smiley

o.O "other universes?!"  That's awesome TR! 

...wow you guys are amazing.  This is the ONLY story I'm working on and it takes ALOT just for that!  Regardless that's awesome!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 07:56:01 PM »

...wow you guys are amazing.  This is the ONLY story I'm working on and it takes ALOT just for that!  Regardless that's awesome!
Hehe, don't let us fool you.  Those projects are mostly just notes or (in the case of my novel) they've been in progress for YEARS!  Trust me, its not that impressive.  Consider someone like David Weber, who has dozens of published novels in at least 4 or 5 distinct universes.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:03 AM »

Don't know abut the "great writers" thing, but hey, if you think so.

As for other universes, I have my own super hero universe (technically it belongs to my sister as well), and a Fantasy universe that I am working on.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2017, 03:09:41 AM »

Heh if you (both) wish, I'll qualify: you're both great writers because your stories are enjoyable  Wink

On a more serious note: TR that's amazing that you can share this passion with your sister as well  Smiley

Oh and Karm, my wife too has been working on her book for years; doesn't make either of your writing attempts any less great  Cheesy

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »

“Thanks to Koawan Jaim’s quick thinking, none of the workers were killed or even injured in the explosion.  And thanks to Koawan G’av’s sabotage, the destruction was enough to shut down the Offices of Statistical Process Control on Prakith for quite some time.  I made certain that no cortosis products would be manufactured anytime soon.”

The Kage was sitting forward, looking contemplative.  “And so: you had the planetary location of the Citadel Inquisitorius AND the hyperspace lane to Byss?”

“That’s correct, Kage.  With the route downloaded in our nav computer, we were able to negotiate through the shifting high-density stellar masses around the Deep Core.  What we found on Byss…we never expected.”  I looked at each Council member that was in attendance.  Everything that they’d known about Byss…was nothing compared to what we’d found.

When the Kage finally spoke, her face belonged to an executioner.  So, she DID already know.

“Koawan Zearic.  Proceed.”

Byss.

The planet filled the transparisteel canopy of our freighter.  It was a veritable paradise: lush, serene, beautiful.  The Emperor had invited many dignitaries around the galaxy to take up residence there. It was a planet beyond compare: a verdant sanctuary that catered to the galactic elite.  But Palpatine’s reasoning in doing so was not so banal as to gratify high-society, but rather, to ensure that all of his political enemies were in one place, effectively both as captives as well as hostages.  Byss was a prison made of silk but a prison nonetheless.

It was also the beating heart of the Empire.  Surrounding the planet, a fleet of star destroyers filled the sky while an unbroken chain of Golan III Defense platforms created an encapsulating defensive net.  And, on top of everything, a planetary shield enveloped Byss.  Silently thanking the Maker, I was grateful that we had installed the Inquisitor’s transponder on our ship.  Without it, we would have been vaporized within minutes of dropping out of hyperspace.

And now: I was going to go all-in with my “Idiot’s Array.”  “G’av…I need for you to run a search.”  I paused, hoping that this would not tip my Sabacc hand.  “Time to play the skifter…” I said under my breath.  In my normal voice: “G’av, slice us into the planetary ‘net.  Data request keyword: ‘Gaetana.’”

Minutes that felt like hours ticked by while the silence of space threatened to deafen me.  Jaim chose a slow space-lane to blend inconspicuously while G’av worked between his datapad and the terminal.  Suddenly G’av shouted, “And he JUMPS Byzal Canyon!”  Looking from Jaim and back to me, he saw identical looks of confusion on our faces.  “…It’s a swoop race…obstacle…on…Najiba…nevermind.”

Looking incredulously, Jaim dead-panned, “A…tribal…thing?  From your backwater excuse of a planet?”  G’av pantomimed throwing his datapad, but couldn’t help but grin.

“…And you’re so pleased because…?” I reminded G’av.

“Sorry, right.  So I knew that I couldn’t just run Gaetana’s name through the database; too many red flags so I thought ‘what about a prisoner-requisition inquiry’ and that got me thinking—”

“G’av.” I gently prodded.

He took a breath.  “Right.  Gaetana’s in a building called the Imperial Freight Complex.”

“OK; give Jaim the coordinates to the…Imperial Freight Complex.”  Piloting us through the planetary shield, Jaim descended into the atmosphere where the star’s light diffused, making the color of the sky an unnerving blue-green.  But that wasn’t what made G’av, Jaim, and I uncomfortable (well, aside from the fact that we were deep in enemy territory); the entire planet was blanketed by the Dark Side, creating a vergence in the Force. 

As Jaim piloted us below the stratosphere, we saw that the entire landmass of the largest continent had been urbanized.  This was the Imperial Control Sector, the nerve-center of Palpatine’s Empire.  Huge industrial and administrative complexes impaled the sky, while numerous shipyards were interspersed throughout.  In one particularly large drydock, an enormous skeletal chassis of what I could only presume would be a star destroyer was being assembled.  Only, this star destroyer was completely different than anything that I’d ever seen: it would be almost 18 kilometers in length, if the framework was any indication and it was completely jet-black.  Looking at G’av I asked, “Can you get any information on that?  Without alerting the Imperials to our presence?”

G’av nodded and went to work on the terminal.  “…Bringing up ‘Sanitation.’  That shouldn’t rate anything classified.”  Despite everything, G’av grinned.  “You could say that my mind is in the toilet.”  And, despite myself, I laughed.

“G’av…” I warned but only after I’d stopped laughing.

“Right.  It never ceases to amaze me that Imperial security doctrine misses the most rudimentary of exploits.  OK, so that is something called…Project Eclipse?  No, that doesn’t sound ominous or anything, Zearic.”

Project Eclipse.  I wonder what it would become.  Mentally shaking my head I asked, “G’av…could Project Eclipse be the objective requiring all of the doonium shipments?”

G’av briefly typed on his datapad.  “No.  Even a…ship that enormous isn’t…sufficiently large enough to necessitate all of that doonium.  Must be something else, something we haven’t seen.”  He turned his head back to his terminal.

“Zearic.  Look.”  Jaim’s stoic voice came from the cockpit.  As I looked out of the canopy, I just…stared.  According to the coordinates, we were headed for a gigantic tower in the northern part of the industrial section.  I checked the display in front of me.  “…By the Maker.”  According to scanners, the facility in front of us climbed almost 170 kilometers into the atmosphere.  The top of the structure had been tethered to satellites in geosynchronous orbit.  As a failsafe, the complex was further stabilized by repulserlifts throughout.  I looked back to G’av.  “The Imperial Freight Complex?”

G’av hadn’t turned his gaze from the immense structure filling the canopy.  “Yeah.”

“And Gaetana’s in there?”  Without taking his eyes off of the construct, he nodded.  “…How in the kriffing…how are we supposed to find her?”

“I can; don’t worry brother,” G’av said confidently.  Then, “Zearic, perhaps the doonium went to construct…that?”

Even before G’av had finished asking the question, I shook my head.  “No; the superstructure is a combination of quadranium reinforced with trimantium, indicative of the grey-green patina.”  And here I thought my education in geology would be a waste of time.  “…Which begs the question: where is all of that doonium going to?” 

“G’av, what is our destination?” Jaim’s voice interrupted my reverie.  I turned my head to the small koawan.

Instead of answering immediately, G’av continued to work the consol.  “G’av?” Jaim prompted.  This time, G’av responded.

“Got it.  Jaim head to the northeast quadrant, coordinates 36852.  Zearic, according to the archive, this section belongs to the Inquisitorius.”

My brow furrowed.  “G’av, you’re sure?”

He feigned a wounded look.  “Whenever did I let you down?”  As he continued, G’av’s face turned serious.  “One of the tasks that my dataworm performs was to cross-reference ‘Gaetana’ and ‘Inquisitors.’  I figured where there’s one, there’s the other.”

I put my hand on his shoulder.  “Good thinking; I should have thought of that.”  I mentally berated myself.

G’av turned to look at me.  “Brother, give yourself some latitude.  Of all of us, this abduction hits closest to home for you.”

I thought of G’av’s words.  Gaetana’s capture was personal.  True, she was more D’Aylanna’s friend than mine but we’d become friends ourselves.  Waxing nostalgic, I began to think again about Astar and Jorya.  That made me break out in a cold sweat, especially thinking that Vader might have designs against D’Aylanna.  That I could not—WOULD not—allow, under any circumstances.  It was then that I noticed that we’d slowed.  Looking through the canopy, I saw that Jaim was in the process of docking.

When our freighter set down, I’d gathered our equipment in the bridge.  As I was strapping on my two lightsabers, Jaim came from the cockpit and grabbed for his webbelt.  G’av was already set, slicercards, datapad, and lightsaber hung on his own belt.  I still had on the cortosis gauntlet that I’d “acquired” from Prakith.

“I’ve given us ‘open portal’ accessibility as well as putting all recording programs on a loop.  These cards will identify us as new Inquisitors.”  G’av handed one to Jaim and I.  “I’ve keyed our commlinks to a secure channel so we’ll be private.  According to the datanode, Gaetana’s being held within a residential sector.”

Jaim spoke up.  “What of the other Gray Jedi?”

G’av shook his head.  “Nothing, I’m afraid.”

“If they’re not with Gaetana, then we’ll find them afterwards.  This is a stealth mission; we can’t afford to bring down the entire Inquisitorious on us, much less Vader.” The thought of confronting the Sith Lord was something that I had to prepare myself for.

“Zearic, a couple of things.”  G’av stopped me before I was about to exit.  “The doonium trail…has gone cold.  I couldn’t find any datapresence of it in any of the inventories I’d sliced.  I…I think I might have a chance if I can find a terminal in the Complex.  But like the cortosis refinery, it would be a stand-alone.”

Definitely not good news.  I let out a breath.  “OK G’av.  I know that you’ve done what you can in here.  But we need to find where that doonium is heading.  Let’s find you a datanode that you can use.  You said ‘a couple more things?’”

“You reminded me: Vader isn’t here.  According to flight logs, he was…but left two days ago.”

I couldn’t believe our luck.  I let out a sigh of relief.  “Thank the Maker…  G’av, next time, lead with that.”  With Vader no longer a consideration, I felt more confident than I had in a long time.  “Let’s get our people.”

I began to feel that our chances were not only improving but fated.  And in that I was right.  Fate.  But I was a fool; I’d become complacent of the fact that the Inquisitors were a dangerous threat.  I was so focused on Vader that I’d ignored any other considerations.  Or evidence that could have saved us all pain…

As a confident Sabacc player, I went all-in.  But I was about to learn that my skifter card had been spied for what it was.  And we would all pay for it, dearly.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 03:07:18 PM »

"As a confident Sabacc player, I went all-in.  But I was about to learn that my skifter card had been spied for what it was.  And we would all pay for it, dearly."

Ooooh.  That's ominous...  :-)  This story feels like its coming to a head, and the tension is building.  Nicely done! 
I am finding that I have a lot invested in these guys.  That's not the easiest thing to do.  And I know (or at least I THINK I know) that at least one of these guys is going to die...  Or at the least something bad is going to happen.  I want to fix it!  NO!  DON'T GO INTO THE DARK ROOM!  CAN'T YOU HEAR THE MUSIC???    LOL

Anyway, nice entry and great build-up and cliff-hanger!  I am stoked for the payoff!  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2017, 02:26:07 AM »

“I was a triple threat: an angry, ignorant, bureaucrat”  brilliant!  Anyway I think the device of constantly going back to the trial is really showing its effectiveness the more they zip around the galaxy, brings some stability while allowing them to keep moving.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:35 PM »

"As a confident Sabacc player, I went all-in.  But I was about to learn that my skifter card had been spied for what it was.  And we would all pay for it, dearly."

Ooooh.  That's ominous...  :-)  This story feels like its coming to a head, and the tension is building.  Nicely done! 
I am finding that I have a lot invested in these guys.  That's not the easiest thing to do.  And I know (or at least I THINK I know) that at least one of these guys is going to die...  Or at the least something bad is going to happen.  I want to fix it!  NO!  DON'T GO INTO THE DARK ROOM!  CAN'T YOU HEAR THE MUSIC???    LOL

Anyway, nice entry and great build-up and cliff-hanger!  I am stoked for the payoff!  :-)
Lol excellent Karm, just perfect!  That's what I am going for in this case  Smiley

“I was a triple threat: an angry, ignorant, bureaucrat”  brilliant!  Anyway I think the device of constantly going back to the trial is really showing its effectiveness the more they zip around the galaxy, brings some stability while allowing them to keep moving.
Thanks LSG^^  As you say: it's intended to anchor the overall narrative...HOPEFULLY without coming off as cliché  Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »

Thanks LSG^^  As you say: it's intended to anchor the overall narrative...HOPEFULLY without coming off as cliché  Wink

LSG nailed it.  I love the way you're using the trail to anchor the narrative.  Flash-back storytelling can be difficult, if you don't anchor it properly its easy to lose track of "when" you are.  I don't have that problem with your narrative.  Its not cliche', its a properly used literary device.  :-) 

And I am STOKED for the next installment!  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »

“The Imperial Freight Complex was…immense.” I related to the assemblage.  “Thankfully, G’av had been able to download a schematic detailing the Sector Inquisitorious, which he gave to Jaim and I.  Meanwhile, we’d found him a datanode to access.  As he began his search for anything regarding the doonium, Jaim and I were able to penetrate further into the Complex.  Surprisingly, the halls were virtually empty.  The few people that we did come across, Jaim was able to put them to sleep.  But we knew that wouldn’t last…”

“So…Koawan Zearic.  At what point did you realize the mortal danger that you had put yourself—and your fellow Gray Jedi—in?”

“He should be asleep for several hours, at least.” Jaim intoned.  Meanwhile, I put the slumped Imperial in one of the siderooms, locking the door from the outside.

“Good job, Jaim.”  I looked at the datapad that G’av had given me.  According to the blueprints, there was a large, open section just beyond the bend in the hall.  I didn’t have to open myself to the Force; I had done so prior to departing our ship.  However, as with before, my senses were obscured.  At least this time, I knew why: the Vergence of Dark-Side energy, although that didn’t explain the previous encounters.  This time, my mistake was relying TOO much on my Force senses.  Even with the blanketing effects of the Dark Side, I could sense several people ahead.  I told myself that they must have been in the open section ahead but I hadn’t seen any detention areas in this level.  So, when Jaim and I crept up to the room, we were shocked by what we saw.

A furious lightsaber battle was going on.  Four Inquisitors were attempting to flank and surround a lone person who had their back to the wall.  The Inquisitors’ red blades cast a malevolent glow on their faces.  Faces, now that I could see them, belonged to the Gray Jedi whom I had thought were missing.  My anger burned hot; these…traitors, these…false friends, had…had KILLED almost all of the Gray Jedi of Kewda.  Jaim’s hand on my shoulder interrupted my dark thoughts; without saying a word, he pointed at the lone opponent facing the Inquisitors.  When her head turned, I saw that it was Gaetana.  In her hands, I saw that, in addition to her usual green lightsaber, she dual-wielded an orange lightsaber as well.  She was surrounded but holding her own.  Inwardly, I smiled; I knew that the Inquisitors were facing a master of Juyo.  Still, my rage boiled.  I knew what I had to do.  I HAD to help my friend.

Without a word, I flung myself towards the Inquisitors, igniting my blue lightsaber.  I knew that the Inquisitors would be prepared for a Force Choke so I thought of a technique that I’d seen in Master Chillum’s classes.  I remembered that Karmak, a powerful Silver Knight, was demonstrating a precision Force pull that targeted the spine between the cervical and thoracic vertebrae.  In the class, the analog body model fell in place, the spine neatly severed.  Absolute perfection.  But my anger, combined with my inexperience, was such that I misjudged the necessary precision.  Instead, the Inquisitor’s entire vertebral column from the neck to the base of his head exploded through his throat.  But I had no time to think upon my miscalculation; the other Inquisitor was upon me.   My opponent—the once Gray Jedi I THOUGHT that I knew—was Avvon Treboh, a maenowan battle-master.  Briefly glancing out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jaim engage another Inquisitor, former Koawan Irizon Rakshesh.  I couldn’t see the last Inquisitor; Master Gaetana was in front in my line of sight.

“So…you survived.” Avvon taunted me.  “The High Inquisitor said you would; I didn’t believe her, yet…here you stand.”  The Cerean battlemaster feinted, trying to assess my prowess.  I knew that I had to be careful; Avvon was an excellent swordsman.  But, as a Cerean, I knew that his coordination would suffer as a result of his physiology.  Even as I traded lightsaber blows, I shifted from Djem So to Juyo.

But, even given that hindrance, Avvon countered every attack, testament to his position as battlemaster.  Try as I might, I could not find any weakness in Avvon’s defense.  The Cerean suddenly went on the offensive and I found myself hard pressed.  Pass after pass, the battlemaster kept me on the defensive.  We locked blades, neither side gaining advantage.  Unexpectedly, Avvon head-butted me, sending me reeling.  The Cerean laughed as blood flowed down my face, threatening to blind me, his lightsaber a red blur.  He scored a glancing blow off my shoulder, doing little damage but igniting pain and anger in equal parts.

As I struggled to keep up my own defense, I felt my rage overwhelm me.  Without thought, I shifted back to Djem So.  Caught momentarily off-guard, Avvon was forced on the defensive.  Each strike I made, the Cerean lost ground; every swipe of my blade threatened to maim.  In my mind, I saw the holes in his defense and knew how to exploit them.  I scored a minor hit on the back of his forearm; I saw the bodies of my fallen friends.  I sliced a savage cut on his thigh; Jorya’s severed lekku and bloodied lips appeared in my mind.  I followed up a parry with a vicious slash the bisected his arm at the bicep, his now useless lightsaber deactivating; I saw D’Aylanna fall under the red blades of the Sith.  I raised my lightsaber, intent on delivering the killing blow on the trembling Cerean; I WILL MAKE THEM ALL PAY!

—stop—

A soft voice, a familiar voice, a voice that I knew as well as my own pierced through the haze of fury that threatened to overwhelm me.  No, not fury; HATE.  Forcing myself to calm, I slowly lowered my lightsaber.  Avvon’s eyes held equal fear and confusion; his lone arm up as if to fend off my blow.

—What am I doing?!—

The thought came, dread filling me.  I had come close, precipitously close, to losing myself in my hate.  Breath.  Balance.  D’Aylanna was not here, was not in danger, and would not see a man that she would not know, much less admire, with hatred in his heart.  Breath.  Balance.  Jorya was not prisoner to the Empire, was no longer in pain, and would not see a man that she would be repulsed by, as her teacher.  Breath.  Balance.  Think; think of your friends, here, now.  Jaim.  G’av.  Gaetana.

Avvon stood, his face still contorted with fear, confusion, and pain.  He made a move, I thought as if to say something or point at something…when Gaetana’s orange blade erupted from his chest.  The Cerean looked down, his eyes disbelieving, unfocused, and shocked.  But only for a moment; as the blade withdrew, his eyes saw nothing at all.

“Gaetana!”  I didn’t know what had happened.  Looking around, I saw that Gaetana’s opponent, a Twi’lek teidowan I didn’t know, lay dead at her feet.  I then focused on Jaim.  He’d been wounded in his shoulder.  Thankfully, it was only minor.  The same could not be said for Irizon Rakshesh.  His body lay on the ground; his head, over in the corner.  Deactivating his yellow lightsaber, Jaim came over to me.  Using my limited healing talent on Jaim, I turned to the tall Gray Jedi master.  She was a pretty, if severe looking woman, somewhat vulpine in the face.  I was about to question her actions when she cut me off.

“Zearic, it’s good to see you.  I’m sorry, but Avvon looked as if he were going to use a concussive Force Push.  I…I, admittedly, was distracted by dealing with Bib’neina when she started choking me.  I was panicked and…I didn’t mean to.” Gaetana’s face fell; she must have been exhausted after her ordeals.

“It’s OK, Gaetana.  I’m just glad that we were able to get to you in time.”  As soon as the words left my mouth, I became hyper-aware, fearing that we’d remained too long.  “We’ve got to move.  Jaim, I’ll take point, you stay with Gaetana and cover our backs.”

Shaking her head, Gaetana gently pushed Jaim towards me.  “No, there are no Inquisitors that way, at least for awhile.  However, the danger would come from before us.  Better that you both should be our shield.”

Nodding, I took position in front of Jaim, my lightsaber drawn.  I could sense him behind me, guarding my left flank, his yellow lightsaber in bright contrast to my blue blade.  Purposefully, we moved back into the hallway that connected us to the drydock exits.

Suddenly, my world became bright light, dizzy, and disorienting.  I was shaking my head, trying to clear my mind.  Immediately, pain erupted.  Slowly looking around, I noticed that I’d been knocked off my feet.  Jaim lay motionless several meters away.  I could see that blood flowed from his ears and mouth.  Slowly, I went through a Gray Jedi meditative technique; it helped to focus my thoughts and ignore the pain.  An explosion had caused this.  But how?  G’av’s datapad had detected no such devices, nor had I sensed anything with the Force, especially as I was scrutinizing EVERYTHING in front of us.  Jaim.  Jaim had taken the brunt of it while I had only been momentarily stunned.  Opening myself to the Force, I projected outward to the tall koawan, delicately but firmly probing.  My friend was injured, and badly.  His thoughts black, unconscious.  His emotions clouded, unreadable.  But my mind was slow, too slow.  Which was why what happened next came as a surprise.

“That’s far enough.  You’ve done wonderfully, although I didn’t foresee all.  You arrived sooner than I’d anticipated.  Although, I had thought you’d finish off Avvon yourself.  Still: the hate in you FLOWED.  I will be happy to apprentice you as my newest Inquisitor.”

Standing tall, imperious, and unscathed, Gaetana lowered her orange lightsaber.  My head was recovering fast, my thoughts clearer by the moment.  Of course.  How did I not see it?  I’d been blinded by hate.  Projecting outward again, this time towards the tall woman, I began to probe.  Gaetana must have felt my intent; making no effort to conceal her thoughts, I had free access to her mind.  And she smiled a derisive grin.  Gaetana had caused this, incapacitating both Jaim and I with a single Force blast.  And we’d walked right into the proverbial sarlacc pit without a question.  The others…the TRAITORS…had they ever been friends?  Had Gaetana?  A Gray Jedi master.  No, no I corrected myself.  There was no “Gaetana, Jedi Master.”  

There was only Gaetana, High Inquisitor of the Empire.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

Whoa...    Nice twist!  I didn't see that one coming until they rushed into battle.  :-)  And even then, you had me guessing and questioning myself.  Nicely done and well thought out! 
And I love the nod!  Chillum and Karmack doing a "remote tactical technique" class...  Gray Jedi orders cross-training and sharing contacts, information.  Oh, yes, some LOVELY possibilities there!  ;-)

*bows*

But for the story: Graetana is the High Inquisitor!  I honestly did NOT see that one coming.  The battle was well written as well.  I am finding that the pacing of the narrative is the key to bringing that across.  If you try to narrate it stroke-by-stroke the reader is bogged down and it comes across clumsy.  This battle, the pacing was just right.  Frantic, fast, almost no time to think.  And then the realization from Zearic, the self-checking, the words from his wife and mentor hammering in his head...

Oh yeah, nicely done indeed!

Now ... how does he get out of the pickle?  I cannot wait to find out!  :-)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: