Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Children of the Aether  (Read 29004 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 02:57:10 AM »

The plot thickens!  Jarys survived.  Somehow I do NOT think that Jabba is going to profit from this slave...  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 04:34:12 AM »

The plot thickens!  Jarys survived.  Somehow I do NOT think that Jabba is going to profit from this slave...  ;-)

Well given its 600 years before the Battle of Yavin Jabba might not even be born yet… The Hutt as per Lyrs chapter is named Myzm…Lots of characters to remember sorry, but only about another 3 main ones to remember.

But keep the 600 years before in mind, it’s important for a character coming up.....

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 04:37:31 AM »

Well given its 600 years before the Battle of Yavin Jabba might not even be born yet… The Hutt as per Lyrs chapter is named Myzm…Lots of characters to remember sorry, but only about another 3 main ones to remember.

But keep the 600 years before in mind, it’s important for a character coming up.....

An important character from 600 years BBY? Sounds like only one character I know of. Grin

Great job on this one though. And the last one as well. It seems I didn't comment on that one. However, I didn't need too, Karm and TD said everything. Can't wait for your next part. Grin

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 04:46:01 AM »

An important character from 600 years BBY? Sounds like only one character I know of. Grin

Great job on this one though. And the last one as well. It seems I didn't comment on that one. However, I didn't need too, Karm and TD said everything. Can't wait for your next part. Grin

Yeah I figured it would be interesting to look at a character much younger, perhaps not quite as wise, as you're used to seeing, also helps bring your characters and story into the Universe, much like you've done with an Inquisitor, Vader, and Dutchman and Karmack have done as well.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »

Aha.  Yeah, forgot that little detail.  LOL

Still, the hutt is probably in far more trouble than he realizes...  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »

Yoda
The ringing alarm brought Yoda out of his meditation.  He slowly opened his eyes and returned from the still of the force to the activity about him.  Returning his breathing to normal he stood and moved to the cockpit.  With practised ease he brought the ship out of hyperspace. 

As soon as the reversion to real space was complete he felt it.  Pain, loss, anger, fear, the force was full of it here.  He was too late.

For the last few months he had been pursuing a group of slavers working in the deep core.  That the Hutts felt bold enough to operate so brazenly in the deep core had concerned the Republic, who had then requested the Jedi investigate.  It rankled Yoda more than a little that the depredations of the Hutts on the outer rim for decades had not elicited any response, but three worlds in the deep core was met with immediate action.

This system was uncharted, disconnected from the Republic as many deep core systems were, black holes and gravitic anomalies made travel difficult, it had taken a number of bribes and more than a little force suggestion on Ebaq to find out where the slave ships were headed and the navigational co-ordinates from Urganaught explorers.

The disturbance seemed to gape wider as he approached the 5th planet in the system.  No other ships were in orbit that he could detect.  Whatever had happened must have been close to a genocide to create such a wound….yet surely such a small force of slavers could not capture so many?

He settled into orbit over the fifth world, but found little but radioactive deserts ad craters on his scanners.  He turned to the force, silently opening himself to the pain that echoed off the planet.  It hurt to open himself so fully, but as a Jedi his compassion meant embracing and understanding such emotions, and that compassion allowed him to retain control in the face of their strength.  His hands guided by the force adjusted the instruments to fly toward the source of the pain.
***************************************************************************************************
He landed his Kuat Drive Yards LN-2 a short walk from the large village. 

As soon as he stepped out he felt it, the strength of the force in this place was nearly overwhelming, the pain, the fear, enveloped him, he needed to be very careful here.

It was an unusual world, so barren except for this valley, but stranger still was what he found.  Amongst burnt out wooden buildings that belonged to a pre-space flight culture were the wrecks of slaver skiffs, speeders and barges, some partially opened as if someone were trying to deconstruct them.  Beneath hastily erected shelters sat dissected bodies of Weequay, Gamoreans, Rodians, even a Twi’lek.  There were signs of a vicious battle here, scorch marks, blaster holes, but no other corpses, someone had moved them.

It was unlikely the natives possessed weapons to counter the slavers, so what caused this damage, a fight amongst slavers after a raid was not unheard of, but on this scale?

He sensed no life apart from the plants and insects about the place, so sat to meditate in a large open street where the force seemed to be pooled the most.  The force was so strong here, almost suffocating…he tried to peel back the layers of recent trauma, to the underlying currents of life, there was something there, something quiet, hidden…something…

He felt the steel against his neck and his ear pricked up to the barely audible sound of breathing.

“Away put your weapon, no harm do I bring,” he said calmly, “a survivor are you” strange he did not sense the approach, perhaps he had been too focused on the underlying currents of the force, even at three hundred years old he still made the odd mistake as Soryu liked to remind him.

He tried to exude a calming presence, but felt nothing in the force in response, neither worry, nor calm…as if it were a blank.  Then he felt it a subtle probing in the force against him, teasing out his intentions.  Yoda did not try to resist, he left himself open to the analysis…at first the other retreated back, fearful of a trap, then tentatively searched him.
“Who are you?” asked the male human, judging by the voice, behind him with a sword to his throat, his accent was strange and archaic but comprehensible.

“Yoda, Master Jedi of the Republic am I,” he turned his head to look at the other and grinned gently, “For you loss sorry, but pleased to meet you I am.”
***************************************************************************************************
The man’s name was Valens, Yoda judged him around twenty years old.  He had a quiet demeanour and a presence in the force that was strangely distant.  It was clear he was force sensitive, but the extent of his abilities and training were hard to tell.   

He wore a recently repaired suit of steel armour, carrying an elegant board sword, with a tattered blue ribbon tied around his right arm.  He had no distinguishing features, but then many humans looked alike to Yoda.

Valens brought him to a small building he had been living in for the last few weeks, providing Yoda with a selection of earthy wholesome foods, Yoda realised it had been a long time since he had eaten so well, he was getting too used to the pastes that were standard fare on long space journeys.

He told of him of the attack, it had come during a gathering of his people, they had resisted as best they could but the surprise and strangeness of their enemies overwhelmed them.  Valens himself had been knocked unconscious by and exploding barge and buried beneath it. 

“How destroyed you the barge?” Yoda inquired
Valens looked at him as if he had asked something so obvious that Yoda must be a dullard to ask
“With the aether of course.”
Overextended and injured from the fight he hadn’t woken for days, when he had the slavers were gone.  He had proceeded to bury the dead of his people according to their rites, then disposed of most of the slaver bodies, but set about studying them and their technology.
He was not at all typical of other human males of that age Yoda had met, very calm and considered in his actions, yet there was a troublingly cold edge to him.
“Other survivors have you found,” Yoda asked
“None…we were all here for the Gathering….if there were others they would’ve replied by now to my signals,”
“signals?” he queried
“In the aether, like so”
Yoda felt a surge of meaning in the force, a beckoning call, come, safe, return, and understood, the ‘aether’ was this cultures word for the force.  That he assumed others could respond in kind…all Valens people were force sensitive.

“Your plans now Valens”
Yoda and Valens walked quietly along one of the gardens about the village,

“There is little I can do, my people are gone, killed or scattered across your Republic…”

“Illegal in the Republic slavery is, other systems and territories they may be found” Yoda corrected

“Indeed, forgive me, the extent of your civilization is still unknown to me…I want to find my people if I can, but I have no knowledge of the galaxy into which they have been lost…and here I am alone…”

“With me you wish to go,”

He looked away to the mountains weighing up leaving a dead world against some unforeseen reason to stay, “If I could,” he said quietly looking at the ground,

“To learn and live, or to seek and punish,” Yoda probed

“they need not be mutually exclusive” that reply left Yoda a little stunned, there was a flicker across Valens face as though a different personality had occupied it for a brief moment.

Sensing Yoda’s disquiet he continued, “but I realise I cannot undo the damage done, perhaps I could find some of my people, but I must learn about the galaxy first.”

Yoda knew he could not leave him here alone, on that he had already decided, but he wanted Valens to come for the right reasons.  He suspected he would get little further with this line of questioning.  Valens had been through a great trauma, he needed compassion now, and charity.

“Correct you are” Yoda offered as a bridge, “join me you may.  To the Jedi temple we will go, there about the galaxy and force you may learn, assistance we can offer,”

“Thank You, Yoda, you are a credit to your Jedi order, I look forward to learning more about them.”

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »

Out-standing!

The past two chapters with Valens, Mary's, and Yoda were two of your best, yet^^  LSG, I am REALLY enjoying your writing style and the way that the narrative intertwines, bringing together not only these incredible characters that I am now fully invested in but also an excellent interpretation of canon beings (the Hurt and his retinue and, of course, Yoda).  What I also really like is that instead of being confined by canon, you've opened up the wide galaxy of SW while infusing it with an excellent and unique (collection of) stor(ies) that add to and enrich the whole  Cheesy. I am VERY glad that you decided to share this with us!

Oh and I think you are SPOT on with Yoda's diction  Wink

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »

Yoda.   I did NOT see that one coming.  :-)  Excellent tie-in, and I am thrilled that Valens also survived! 

Your story crafting is top-notch.  I am intrigued by the very concept of Yoda on a mission.  We all know him at the end of his life, as the very head of the Jedi order, but here he is out in the field as it were, on a mission. 

Like I said...  I think our friend the Hutt is in BIG trouble...  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 09:26:45 PM »

Yoda.   I did NOT see that one coming.  :-)  Excellent tie-in, and I am thrilled that Valens also survived! 

Your story crafting is top-notch.  I am intrigued by the very concept of Yoda on a mission.  We all know him at the end of his life, as the very head of the Jedi order, but here he is out in the field as it were, on a mission. 

Like I said...  I think our friend the Hutt is in BIG trouble...  :-)

Out-standing!

The past two chapters with Valens, Mary's, and Yoda were two of your best, yet^^  LSG, I am REALLY enjoying your writing style and the way that the narrative intertwines, bringing together not only these incredible characters that I am now fully invested in but also an excellent interpretation of canon beings (the Hurt and his retinue and, of course, Yoda).  What I also really like is that instead of being confined by canon, you've opened up the wide galaxy of SW while infusing it with an excellent and unique (collection of) stor(ies) that add to and enrich the whole  Cheesy. I am VERY glad that you decided to share this with us!

Oh and I think you are SPOT on with Yoda's diction  Wink

Until next instalment friends  Smiley

Thanks again guys.  You'll be pleased to know I'm finalising Part 5 as we speak, so on track to get you guys part three next week, then four then five.  Also have another couple of interludes between parts to pick up some loose threads.

The intent was always to bring the Children of the aether (Cilina, Shilea, Valens, Jarys and. ++XXXXXX++) into the larger galaxy, but in very different ways. Yoda especially as I wanted to try and imagine how a) a Younger Yoda would act compared to his much older wiser self, b) how said younger Yoda would interact with someone who can use the force just as well (better?) than him but with a very different philosophy.

Have to ask though Dutchman, who is MARY??? - "The past two chapters with Valens, Mary's, and Yoda"

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »

Lyr'Ca'Njo

“Another win for your boy!” called Rgnal as he grabbed his cup and emptied its contents,

The holo-player was showing the live stream of the Nar-Shadda Mid-Tier Arena where the violent slave that had threatened him and Myzm with eye gouging – nicknamed “The Beast” for the ferocity and savageness with which he fought, notably in tearing out opponents eyes – had just won another match, this time against a black furred wookie.

“And you too” Lyr replied pointing at the datapad by Rgnals side that showed the credits rolling from his bets on the beast, for the win and first blood.

“Must be making a killing off that one, pun intended” 

“Well someone is”, Lyr sarcastically added.  Whilst he had been well paid for the raid that capture him, and elevated to Major Domo of Myzms household on Nar Shadda, he hadn’t seen any returns for his efforts in the arena…perhaps he should just be thankful he hadn’t been eaten.  The raid on the planet where the beast had been taken was overall a disaster, two thirds of the mercenaries and the commander dead, only the high prices the slaves had fetched had redeemed the expedition.

“A little Kowakian tells me Myzms been in talks with the Quarren,” Rgnal made his living off selling information, in some ways a far more dangerous occupation for his fellow Twi’lek than Lyr’s, but like any good broker he kept the major players drip fed just often enough to avoid teetering into the realm of being a complete liability.

“What of it,” Lyr dipped a sliver of some ocean creature into a sauce lightly accented with refined Spice, “His credits are as good as anyone,”

“ha perhaps, but you know he’s a few fuses short of a circuit…all those hockey religious type he meets, weird things he buys, let alone that witch he keeps around,”

“So he collects antiques and dabbles in the esoteric, it’s not my business what our customers do, even with our products…bah” he slurped up the silver feeling instantly the heady rush of the Spice, “so long as he pays his bills,”

“Bills for what exactly,”

“oh, come on, you think I’m telling you that easily, you’ll be out of business soon if you’re that obvious in probing for rumours.  It’s no secret he buys the odd slave,” 

“Eh, just be careful, from what I hear he has an eye on something that could bring a lot of unwanted attention to anyone that helps him out,” Rgnal downed another glass.
Stumbling back to his, now far more luxurious quarters, Lyr was troubled by what Rgnal had said, though dared not show it at the time.  The Beast was on a streak, but would not win forever, perhaps it was time to cash out on that one while a buyer could be found easily. 

The Quarren though was more the worry, he didn’t have a name, just called the Quarren, they said he was heir to some kind of fortune from processing, or mining, something somewhere, and a cultist of some kind, he was well known for purchasing odd antiques from places like Byss, Korriban and Dormund Kaas.  All Lyr cared about was he paid handsomely for any force sensitive slaves they could offer, he had bought six in the last few months at half a million credits a piece.  What he did with them was not his problem. 

Recently though the Quarren had been asking around for mercenaries for some unspecified wet work, Myzm had instructed Lyr to see if he could act as middle man and take a cut, both of the hire fee and any booty.  It was unusual, the Quarren hadn’t ever gotten into that kind of business before, there had been rumours he’d hired some thieves to steal some odd antiques but little else.

But who was he to worry, so long as he managed a good profit for Myzm, and a nice cut for himself, he had no qualms about working for anyone…so long as they paid.

He nearly tripped entering his room, where his concubine Rshi…was that really a better word than slave…stirred from her sleep by his noisy entrance she reluctantly came to attend him.

She ought to be more thankful, he didn’t ask that much of her.
“4 million,” Lyr countered,

The holographic image facing him smiled wryly,

“I could by twenty for that price” the Falleen replied

“And he could kill them in under a minute,”

“3.5 million,” came the counter offer

Lyr was tempted to take it, he didn’t want to push too hard or lose out on the sale altogether.

“3.7 million,” he came back

The Falleen pursed his lips, negotiating across holonet was deliberate, he had no desire to be subject to the potential influence of Falleen pheromones when doing business.

“3.65 million,”

What was five thousand credits, “Done,” Lyr was satisfied with that, honestly he would’ve been satisfied with anything over two and a half million for the beast, “I’ll send through the contract within the hour, it will execute after tomorrows match,”
“A pleasure” the Falleen said then swiftly disconnected.

Lyr sighed heavily and waved over Rshi to massage him, Myzm would be satisfied, he may have enjoyed having a winning gladiator for these past months, but he would be more satisfied with the credits.  He looked forward to the next call less.  After what happened to Neen he doubted the Mandolorians would be cheap. 

The Quarren would pay them 7 million to arrange ships and men to perform ‘high opposition’ raids mainly along the Braxant Run and Hydian Way.

The holo flickered into life revealing a blunt helmet. Mando’s he sighed.

“What do you want,” though speaker distorted it lost little gruffness

“Hunik, so pleased to see you again, keeping well I trust, how is the climate on Mandalore at the moment, coming to spring I think isn’t it”  Lyr very deliberately kept Rshi massaging him in view of the receiver, having Hunik consider him a fop could only help. 

“Shove your pleasantries up your exhaust port you snivelling green drop of snot, what’s the job, how many and how much,”  just what Lyr wanted

“Well my friend” he preened, “I know you have the best boarding crews around, we have some tasks over the next few months that would make good use of your talents, and will be highly rewarded,”

“How many and how much” Hunik grated

“Well I don’t want to underestimate your ability, doubtless even one of your warriors could succeed…” he could almost feel the annoyance coming through the signal waves, “perhaps four or five fully armed raiders over ten months,”

“6 million no less” came the irritated reply, Hunik hated haggling, with a Sleemo like Lyr even less, but he wanted the work, for eighty Mandolorians with raiding craft and gear 8 million was a steal,

“Oh sir, you under value yourself, 6.2 million I insist!” Lyr waxed

“Done send me the details” the holonet cut off.

He lay back in his chair and reached around to absently fondle Rshi as she massaged him, he’d done good work today, sold the Beast for 3.5 million, and hired Mandolorians for 6.5 million…Well those were the numbers he’d report to Myzm anyway….

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

You know, I remember reading/hearing some time ago that Lucas wanted to do a TV show spin off of SW and that it would focus on smugglers, villians, and in an  underworld setting. I was immediately disinterested.  This was before Disney bought Lucasfilm IIRC.  Now, if a show was released, the only way that I would watch it is if it directly followed your narrative, LSG  Wink

Once again, your deft manipulation of (seemingly) disparate threads weaving together is testament to your world building my friend  Cheesy. Heh, I wonder what "the Beast" will have to say about upcoming events (more loss of eyes I'm thinking  Roll Eyes).

Have to ask though Dutchman, who is MARY??? - "The past two chapters with Valens, Mary's, and Yoda"
*Sigh. Damn autocorrect  Angry  Tongue. Sorry, that--and early morning haste--once again proves my point: I really MUST proofread my posts  Wink  Roll Eyes.  I had originally typed "Jarys" (aaaaannndd now just did the "Touch-to-save" option, so now I can type "Jarys" with impunity  Grin).

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »

LSG, I want to echo Dutchman - your use of very diverse threads and settings is excellent, and I like this glimpse into the seedy underworld.  While I wouldn't want a steady diet of it, there is no doubt that such an element would be a big player in any SW tableau.  And as always your characters are very interesting.  :-) 

I'm liking these stories very much!  Thank you for sharing and keep it up!  Your universe building is very interesting and this setting and timeline era are places I have little exposure or experience with in the SW universe.  And I cannot wait to see your younger Yoda and his interactions with your Children of the Aether!  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2017, 07:54:31 PM »

Just because I didn't reply to your Yoda post, doesn't mean I didn't read it and enjoy it. I did, very much so. I have just been busy, but your last two posts have been awesome. I love how Yoda is old enough to accept things (like how others use the Force, but it is not as a Darksider or a Lightsider, just using the Force), but also firmly believes in the Jedi order. Very good writing. As a person, I don't like Lyr, but as a villain, he is great, I also like how he doesn't care what happens as long as he gets paid. It seems to be a common theme around smugglers/bounty hunters, but that is probably because it works so well. I also really like how you keep incorporating "the Beast" tearing peoples eyes out. Because you keep bringing it back, it shows that you are paying attention to detail, and detail is something I like. Great job.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 09:26:21 PM »

Just because I didn't reply to your Yoda post, doesn't mean I didn't read it and enjoy it. I did, very much so. I have just been busy, but your last two posts have been awesome. I love how Yoda is old enough to accept things (like how others use the Force, but it is not as a Darksider or a Lightsider, just using the Force), but also firmly believes in the Jedi order. Very good writing. As a person, I don't like Lyr, but as a villain, he is great, I also like how he doesn't care what happens as long as he gets paid. It seems to be a common theme around smugglers/bounty hunters, but that is probably because it works so well. I also really like how you keep incorporating "the Beast" tearing peoples eyes out. Because you keep bringing it back, it shows that you are paying attention to detail, and detail is something I like. Great job.

Thanks again guys, will keep it coming.  that's cool Taegin, don't worry about it, I'm just looking forward to the next chapter of your Shadow of he Outcast!

Yeah Lyr is sort of a bridging character rather than a main event, a little comic relief, sort of there to show some things that you can't do with other characters because it wouldn't make sense for them to know what is happening across some situations. 

One of the advantages of many viewpoints is you can get a lot more packed in, but it has to be balanced against making them different enough and keeping them connected....with Jarys, Shilea and Valens so far apart and so lost in the big galaxy I needed another character to keep them together in a very broad way.  Hoepfully its working!!

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »

Interlude
[/b]

Another interlude to pick up on a character and mystery from the start that vanished a bit.

Melron
He should’ve just left it there.

That’s what he told himself, every morning when he woke up, and at least once an hour when he was awake.

He struggled up out of his sleeping bag, the wool old and thin.  His bones cracked as he stood, he was far too old for this.  The shelter was a good one but the wind still blew in, carrying the gray dust that covered the dead lands and dried his throat.  He took a swig of gormin milk to wet it.  His stocks were good, at least another month if he was careful. 

He should’ve just left it there…but if he had would he be sitting here thinking ‘I should’ve done something’.  Aethers winds he was too old to make silly mistakes…ah no one was too old to make silly mistakes…

He looked around at the corroded metal and cement ruins half buried in the grey dust. To the far west he could see the clouds building, decades of wandering the wastes told him a dust storm was coming. Behind him to the East stood the high mountains that shielded the valley.  The peak of the mountain he was interested in was clouded, but he had looked on those mountains enough years to know which it was.  He was travelling in a direct line from the mountain out west, searching.

He should’ve asked the others before touching it, what right did he have to decide just on his own to touch it.  He didn’t know how much time he had though, he had to act.  He couldn’t just leave a baby there…

He judged if it were a straight line the other entrance couldn’t be far, ahead were a score of ruins that might be where it was.
*********************************************************************************************
Even with the aether to bolster him digging was slow going, and getting slower each year.  He found as he aged his strength in the aether grew, but not in a way that made him more able, it was the connection was stronger, easier, but no more powerful.  He heaped piles of dirt out of the hole with his mind and his shovel, gradually clearing what had once been a hallway before the Collapse. 

Chances were it would lead nowhere, most ruins when excavated were just that, ruins.  Occasionally he’d found the odd basement, some old broken down technology, but little of value.  Even in the odd locker or chest he found was little of worth, sometimes papers, wills, lover letters of the dead, fiction books, small papers with pictures of people on them, the faces of his ancestors.  It was the stuff of everyday life back then, and useless to him now. 

For sixty years he had searched, and in that time found four really useful thing, a science text book, a mathematics one both in the same basement amongst children’s things, a cabinet full of medical records, and sheets of schematics along with working electronic devices, simple things like lights and power tools.

As to the fifth thing…well perhaps the baby he had left Andis would turn out to be the greatest find yet.

This ruin had looked promising, thicker than average walls, painted beneath the sands with red arrows and code like R-54, R55, suggested military in its simplicity and directness.

Perhaps he should’ve taken it, but he certainly never should have sent the boy back there.  He had hoped facing his past, his origin would be a good test for the boy…yet something about that didn’t make much sense, he’d never told the boy he’d been found there…or how he’d found him, static in that strange crystal cocoon on top of a hideous black altar…

Sometimes he was sure there was something…hidden….influencing his thoughts…maybe it was just senility.
*********************************************************************************************
It was his lucky day, or had been till the storm came in.  He had unearthed a sealed metal door deep in the ruins at the bottom of a stair case, but when the storm had hit he had to retreat.  It lasted three days, and by the time it was over the corridors and stairwell were half filled again. That was life on the dead lands.

He set to work again, halfway through he threw his back out. 

“Kriff the Aether,” he shouted to no one, “Ladies bloody eyes, I hate this,”  it was an old curse, the ladies eyes, no one remembered who the lady was or what was so dangerous about her eyes. 

But he did hate it, he hated all the years he had spent away from his family, he hated more returning with nothing to show for it.  He hated he hadn’t been there when his Illy died with their daughter in childbirth, he hated he had never found anything to stem the decline.  Every year more women died, be it in child birth or a few years after, they were dwindling.  When he had first been made Guardian there were thirty of them, nearly three thousand in the Valley…now there were eleven, only three new ones in twenty years. 

They would soon be gone.  He had started with such high hopes, he’d volunteered to take the path of the dead lands to search their history, he had been filled with dreams of finding some bunker, some secret base with a space ship, medical equipment, a thinking machine perhaps all intact.  Sixty years later he had little to show for it. 

He kept going to spite this world, and the bloody aether.
The metal door had been fitted with a typical aether lock, the latches and bars inside the door with no way to open it unless you could move the bars with your mind. 
Inside it was musty, the dust of aeons caked the floor.

He lit a torch and moved slowly through each room.  First had been some kind of check point, then a barracks of some kind, filled with old half rotten clothes, leather dried to cracking.  He found weapons, real weapons from the old times, ‘guns’ they were called, small round spheres, armour of a baroque design, and odd long cylinders.  This was the greatest find anyone had made…well ever. 

He felt giddy as he searched through, but kept himself restrained enough to write down and catalogue what he found.  Some passage ways were blocked by cave ins, but he had found enough to call or a major expedition.  We would gather twenty, no fifty men to excavate, this could be the start of a rebirth of his people.

It was getting toward midnight, he would open just one more room.  Inside was simple, like the others, rotten linens on a beds and beside it….Books.  Dozens of books.  He had to be careful, he didn’t want to disintegrate them.  This was too much to keep to himself, he opened himself to the aether fully to send a message to the other, a beacon to guide them here.

Just as he did he felt another, a scream of fear and warning in the aether, it had a distant tinge behind it, Valens.  He fell to the floor as the first deaths flooded his senses.  For hours he sat there crushed by the weight of his sorrow and helplessness as he felt his friend’s, his peoples deaths in the aether. 

Sixty years he’d searched for this and the day he found it was the day his people had died…he was too far and too old to get there in less than three weeks. 

“Ladies forsaken bloody burning eyes,” he whispered quietly as his torch died.

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: