Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Author Topic: Children of the Aether  (Read 28940 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2017, 05:29:14 PM »

Let me echo: This was a great chapter.  Soryu is a nice addition, someone we can view the coming clashes through as a Jedi point of view without compromising the Canon character of Yoda.  Nicely done!  :-)  I am also very much liking the way Soryu is waking up to just what he doesn't know.  The arrogance of the Jedi is something that was hinted at in the prequal trilogy, something that frankly I think Lucas neglected or at the least did not develop properly (I was very disappointed in the prequal trilogy for its lack of character-development all around, but I digress...) and I like the way you're pulling that in here.  The Jedi have forgotten what they DON'T know, and they tend to think of themselves as the pinnacle of power in the force.  Someone like Valens or the other Aethans, who are much more purely force-sensitives in the first place, are naturally far more powerful in the force.  I suspect that Valens would, even partially trained, mop the floor with most of the Jedi Knights around him, and even some of the Masters.  He's not a Jedi, but he's POWERFUL...

And he's already well trained in the use of the force.  Something I think Soryu is only beginning to appreciate.

Overall, sir, I have little to critique.  What I am really enjoying in this story so far is the deep character development you're building into this.  I am drawn along by the depth of these people.  They feel "real" in the sense that they're acting and reacting to the things that are happening the way exceptional but flawed people would react.  These are not ideals or characatures.  They're viscerally real.  I love that.  :-)

I do hope that some of these disparate threads start to merge soon, but if you're about half-way then I am confident that is going to happen.  :-)  I will await this with as much patience as I can muster! 

TR: Thank you!  Thanks for reading and sticking with it!  :-)  Being able to share with others who are enjoying the experience makes it worth while! 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2017, 02:29:01 AM »

Thanks Everyone.  I really appreciate your feedback and opinions, I want to be able to bring you guys the best I can while staying true to my overarching story.  Really glad Soryu went well, he was the last character I added in, I was concerned it would add too many different view point characters, but as Karmack noted there is only so much I can do with Yoda, and as you all noted it gives an alternate insight into the Jedi.

As to some of your specific questions….
TR yes we will find out what happened to Cilina,
Karmack – yes they will be brought together fairly soon….

Lyr’Ca’Njo
The Quarrens mansion was one of the more isolated on Nar Shadda, jutting on a rocky outcrop that hadn’t been completely levelled for buildings.  It had a dark history, it was said to have been the site of some kind of sacrificial cult to a Hutt deity centuries ago.  Likely why the Quarren bought it.

He had been waiting in the audience room nearly an hour, with nothing to look at but the copious antiques the Quarren had collected.  They all had a nauseatingly brutal look to them, no doubt to intimidate guests.  The rumours about the Quarren were varied but consistent on one point he had a penchant for the esoteric.  The strange symbols filling the tapestries, if nothing else, confirmed this for Lyr. 

He finally entered flanked by the night sister Lyr had seen before and another woman, much younger with short cropped hair, yellow eyes and pale skin, dark ornate armour and a metallic claw covering her left arm.  Lyr was sure he had seen her before but couldn’t quite remember where.

The Quarren dressed in absurdly intricate black lace robes made a short bow, “Welcome to my domain,”

“It is my pleasure to be here, The Beauteous Myzm the Hutt extends his greetings and wishes to advise he has approved our…partnership in full and advises that all resources are in readiness for you to begin operations at your leisure,”

“This pleases me greatly, extend my thanks to your master.  Inform him I will be in contact very soon,”

Lyr bowed carefully, “My master also extends as a token of friendship a fully catered suite at both the High Arena and Grand Races,”

“My thanks again, may the darkness keep you” the Quarren replied observing all the courtesies, “I will be sure to partake of you masters generosity.” With that he turned and left.

********************************************************************************************************
It took four slaves at once to properly bathe Myzm, watching them scrape and moisturise the underside of a Hutt was not a spectacle Lyr especially enjoyed, no matter how ‘Beauteous’ Myzm was. Nonetheless Lyr found it to be the best time to raise difficult issues with his master as he was already relaxed.

“It’s a lot of Hoomas in one pouch….” Lyr continued,

“hrmmm, no risk no reward,” Myzm grumbled

The deal with the Quarren left them exposed, he had paid a 1 million credit deposit, but instalments would come only after each of the operations he had planned, pirate runs basically.  Until then they had a 6 million credit exposure.

“Perhaps but he is not really known for operations like this, a 7 million total spread would make sense for one of the Vigos or Hutts, but an antique collector?”

“He wants to collect more antiques from people who don’t want to sell, so what,” Myzm blinked slowly at him “You’re not usually so cautious Lyr,”

True he wasn’t, but something about the Quarren unnerved him, all his weird antiques, bizarre outfits.

“Let’s say I have a bad feeling about this, the kind of antiques he deals in attract some very dangerous people,”

“Bah so what, worse comes to worse we sell him out to them!  We’re just arranging the Mandolorians and mercs.  I’m not worried after all Lyr you’ll be right there to personally make sure those Hoomas pupate! You’re going on their first raiding trip – arranged it myself!” Myzm’s wet smile spread across his face.

Lyrs eyes nearly exploded, he swallowed hard and tried to keep his face from shattering.
********************************************************************************************************
Mandolorians were a tough practical people, always in armour, no frills interiors for their craft.  Lyr hated it.  He had been stuck on the bucket heads ship for three days along the Braxant run waiting to ambush a ship out of Dubrillion.  It was a ship designed for boarding actions, heavily armoured with multiple assault ports and ion weapons to disable ships.  It was tight and uncomfortable with 20 smelly armoured Mando’s who only seemed to talk in Mando’a and spent all their time pummelling each other for ‘training’.  He felt soiled, Rshi would have her work cut out for her bathing him when he got back.

There were five ships, four boarding ships and the larger carrier, along with a gravity wave emitter to catch ships out of hyperspace.  Spies Lyr had arranged on Dubrillion through Rgnal had advised the departure time of the ship they were after, carrying a shipment of antiques for some private vault to Coruscant, it was just a matter of time.

Worse still the Quarren had sent his metal clawed vixen and witch along with them to ‘oversee’ things and ensure the ‘sacred relics’ were genuine.  He elt sick any time he was too near them, like they exuded bile. 

Shouts in Mando’a started to echo through the ship, he felt the ship exit out of its orbit around a small moon and start to move.  Suddenly the small central compartment was filled with armoured Mandos checking weapons, tightening armour straps while the witch and the vixen looked on impassively.

There was a stillness, then a sudden crash as they forcibly docked.  A hazard stripped door on the left of the compartment suddenly lit up with red blinking lights, the Mandos expectantly lined up in front of it, Lyr stood as far as he could to the other side.

The lights flashed white and it was on, the front two Mandos fired toxic smoke grenades then charged forward followed by two more.  He heard the clatter of close quarters fighting, then a strange humming sound. 

The other Mandos started to look at each other, clearly passing some comment across their private com link.  The Witch and Vixen suddenly went on edge drawing their weapons.  Then Lyr saw it, through the smoke two bright long lights, one yellow one blue.  Lightsabers.  That insane Quarren sleemo had set them against Jedi.  This was bad for business.

The Mandos opened fire, but their red bolts were quickly hit back, Lyr crouched for safety as they switched to close quarters weapons, he could hear the shouts in Mando’a through their helmet. The lightsabres were getting closer. The blinding flash and piercing shriek of stun grenades disoriented him, his vision blurred, but just enough remained to make out the silhouette of the Vixen pushing the armoured Mando’s aside and charging toward the two lights, her dark sword and claw an almost poetic foil for their light. 

As his hearing returned to normal the hums of sweeping sabres intensified, the Mandos had stopped firing, the yellow light vanished, a panicked shriek, then the blue.
The Mandolorians dutifully carried the last of the twelve crates onto the carrier.  Of their contents Lyr was unimpressed, old knickknacks and books, most probably fake, the kind you could find at a hundred dealers in the mid-levels of Nar Shadda. 

This was a poor return for raising the Jedi’s ire.  They had sent a distress call indicating a hyper drive malfunction then scuttled the ship into the nearby gas giant, but Lyr had no illusions this would fool the Jedi when they came looking.

His annoyance gave him the courage to walk up to the witch, who was staring at a black fist sized orb the same way Lyr would stare at Rshi when he had her dance. Crazy witch.

“Are you insane! Ambushing and killing Jedi, do you have any idea what will happen if they find out!  Your master has a lot to answer for!”

Her raspy voice came back, “Silence, you’ve been paid, do not disturb me again,”

He wanted to come back at her, but one look at the witch, and the vixen toying with the lightsabres made him think twice.  They were contracted for six more raids like this one…no doubt on other Jedi targets.  Lyr didn’t know much about the Jedi other than this, Jedi attention was bad for business, bad for Myzm…and most importantly bad for Lyr.

It was going to be a long trip.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2017, 02:31:25 AM »

Yoda
Yoda watched on as Soryu, a seasoned master and arguably the best swordsman in the Order sparred with Valens.  Whilst Yoda had been off world attending other duties for nearly four months, Valens had been training with Soryu.  He had passed every trial, and shown a deep understanding of the Jedi.  “As if he’s been a padawan all his life” Soryu had commented.

The Force had brought them together for a reason, and Yoda felt a strong pull to follow the path.  As Valens matched the older human blow for blow he though back to his conversation with Kougal, the Gotal Chief Medical Officer of the order regarding Valens medical examination results.

“He is of the human genus but with modification”

“unusual for an isolated population this is not” Yoda had replied

“no, you’re quite right but this…this isn’t just evolutionary change, there is certainly that, his lungs, muscles and immune system show signs of having adapted to survive in very harsh conditions…but there is also intentional modification’ 

“cloning?”

“no…genetic editing…I’ve seen it before in humans and other species amongst the wealthy who design children to avoid genetic illness, but not on this scale…”

“the purpose of these modifications” 

“Honestly, it is hard to tell where the modification starts and ends…he was designed by someone, that much is clear more than that I don’t know”

He would have asked Kougal to investigate further, but at present he was busy with the coma patients.  Over the last few months five humans, with no other commonality or interaction had all been found in deep comas, first a female Padawan Sofa Neirai, followed by a senior maintenance technician, then Rys Hora a retired Corellian pilot who trained Padwans, Mestri Kiba a senior librarian and then Doctor Yrish Bm’Ka who wasn’t even working on the coma patients.  It was highly troubling they still hadn’t worked out the cause, though Sofa showed signs of recovery.

It was not unusual either for a whole species to be force sensitive, but he had never heard of it in a human population, let alone to the level Valens descriptions, and actions, seemed to imply. And Valens world, Aethas, showed absolutely no signs of any technology remotely that advanced, the ruins Yoda had flown over were centuries old at least.

Valens leapt in a graceful flip over Soryu’s head, Soryu turned to drive into Valens as he landed behind him, but Soryus slash met only open air.  Soryu paused then dropped his sword.  Yoda turned his attention back to the fight to see Valens levitating fixed in the air above Soryu, his practice sword against the wide eyed Soryu’s throat.

“This latest attack has forced us to step up our timetable,” Kimar began as the briefing following the attack along the Braxant Run began. “Whilst it is possible this was simply a random pirate attack, the fact two Jedi were killed and three other teams are overdue to report in suggests against it,”

“To that end we will reassign thirty Jedi to the Archives Project,”

As the temple was completed the Council had decided to move numerous Jedi, Sith and other Artefacts and books from depositories in various Jedi facilities to the temple, in as clandestine fashion as possible to avoid unwanted attention from black market traders and dark side cultists.

Kimar listed off the masters and knights present and their new assignments,

“Yoda, you will finalise his list of purchases,” Yoda nodded and stepped forward to take the data pad.  A secondary part of the Archives project was the purchase of various Sith artefacts and manuscripts held by private collectors across the galaxy.  It had taken months of work, but with the assistance of auction houses and a substantial contribution from the Republic, nearly 500 items had been located and negotiations to purchase them had begun.  Though costly, credits were a small price to pay for removing some of these objects from circulation.

“I note your foundling has made surprisingly good progress,” Kimar added, “Soryu waxes lyrical about it, ‘as if he was born a Jedi’ he says’,” with Kimar there was always a caveat, often very subtle, “Do you intend to take him as an apprentice Master Yoda,”

“Intend to follow the will of the Force wherever it leads I do,”  Yoda replied, he was not overly fond of Kimar, few people were, none doubted his wisdom, but he lacked flexibility in his interpretation of the Jedi code, and had none of the reassuring humour and friendliness of other masters.  “Perhaps on this assignment I might take him, to observe, with your permission,” Yoda continued

“hrmph, very well,” Kimar turned and continued the briefings
A green glow suffused the cabin, the force flowed naturally from the crystal to the owner.  Yoda made a few short practice swings, nodded approvingly and handed it back to Valens.

He had passed all of Soryu’s trials and been approved, very grudgingly it must be said by Kimar, to be inducted as a full Padawan.  Yoda was amazed when he had spoken to Soryu of just how difficult he had made the various tests, by he was more amazed still by how Valens had performed.  “Sometimes I swear it’s as if he’s done it before, like he knows what’s coming” Soryu had said.

“Fine blade it is, different to your former weapons to wield,” Yoda asked

“I’m getting used to it, much less weight,” Valens replied, he was competent speaking on technical or conceptual matters, but fumbled on small talk.

“But Soryu is a good teacher….I wanted to thank you for, taking me away from there…not that I don’t like the temple I mean bringing we with you on this trip,”

“Welcome you are,” and Yoda meant it, he felt he could learn much from Valens, not just techniques in the force, but also more generally from his different perspective.  Over recent years Yoda had begun to worry the Jedi were becoming too inwardly focused, too dogmatic, a new perspective would benefit all Jedi.

“Understand do you, why Jedi a Lightsabre carry,” he queried

“Well, basically because although devoted to peace and compassion, there are those that a Jedi might come across who are, incapable, or completely unwillingly to reason peacefully…it’s for self-defence in those situations as well as defending those who cannot protect themselves….” He paused

“On Aethas, people would avoid Vorynx territory, predators that use the aeth…Force to hunt, but sometimes there would be too many born in a season and they would hunt people…Guardians would have to cull them, because you can’t reason with them, they breed beyond the resources that nature can provide for them….it’s not about using violence for spite, it was, keeping that balance.”

Yoda nodded, appreciating the further insight into Valens culture, the example was not perfect but it was closer than the majority of Padawans would give.

“And if know you do an attack will come on your people, pre-emptively hunt them?”  Yoda searched, Valens morality was hard to determine, he said the right things, Soryu affirmed this but Yoda was not fully convinced.

“You can’t perfectly predict anything…but if it’s been a warm summer with plenty of…” he stopped himself, “but then this isn’t about that situation…its more general, you want to know if I think you can extend concepts of defence to include a pre-emptive strike against a potential threat….”

Yoda had known some Padawans to pick up on this, but again not many

“on a purely pragmatic perspective one would, but by that stage you’ve already failed on a deeper level,” Valens shifted in his seat

He hadn’t really answered the question by using a caveat of pure pragmatism, and was shifting the conversation away, but perhaps this wasn’t intentional, Yoda probed further

“Failed in what way?”

“Failed in that you are in a position to be threatened, either you have left yourself too weak, or allowed another to become too strong…a better path is to avoid that situation, maintain a position of strength that acts as a deterrent,” he held up his sabre, “everyone knows a Jedi carries a lightsabre, and knows how to wield it, that knowledge is itself the pre-emptive strike, and avoids more conflicts than it creates, perhaps that is another reason we carry them,”

Yoda nodded grimly.  He understood, almost too well.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »

To quote the warrior-poets James and Lars: "To secure peace is to prepare for war."  I am sure that Valens would agree, well at least as an axiom.  I like how Yoda recognizes that the "Jedi morality" of the Republic is (erroneously) applied to Valens and his culture.  After all: it's "human nature" to quantify things, especially that which it doesn't fully understand.  Sorry, I'm not trying to get philosophical; LSG, this is another fantastic installment^^  IMO, THIS is the way one should write "gritty" SW stories.  Oh, and Soryu as a Yoda proxy is PERFECT: an unadulterated look through the eyes of a period Jedi Master that both acts as audience surrogate AND a barometer for prevailing thought at the Temple...but NOT (thankfully) reflective of Grand Master Kimar.

Yes!  Always a pleasure reading my "guilty favorite" Lyr  Cheesy. Again: THIS is the way to write a likable antagonist!  And--as promised--were seeing more characters colliding; hmm, "When Lyr Met Sevra"  Grin

OMG the mental visual of Myzm--actually, ANY Hutt--getting a sponge bath...brain bleach please  Cheesy

I finally remembered!  Have you (any of you, my friends  Smiley) read Joe Haldeman?  Well one of his Short Stories reads (to me) exactly like LSG's writing! I mean that as a compliment  Cheesy

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »

“Welcome you are,” and Yoda meant it, he felt he could learn much from Valens, not just techniques in the force, but also more generally from his different perspective.  Over recent years Yoda had begun to worry the Jedi were becoming too inwardly focused, too dogmatic, a new perspective would benefit all Jedi.

I love this.  We see some of this in the prequel trilogy, Yoda worried about the ossification of the Jedi code and attitudes.  Apparently he wasn't successful in reforming his fellow Jedi enough to stop the rot.  :-) 

These are great installments!  I have to echo TD, the Lyr character is fun and you write him well.  He's a nice addition, thank you! 
Also agree on the whole Hutt sponge bath thing ... *shudder*  Though the idea of a Hutt obsessive about being clean and presentable is intriguing!  :-)

Looking forward to the next installment! 

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »

Part 4

Yoda

So far things had progressed well. Over the course of the last two months they had journeyed to eight different worlds collecting various objects from collectors.

The wealth on display at some of the mansions and apartments had been galling, to be paying them for a few of their ‘trinkets’ did not sit well with Yoda, these were people who did not need the credits.

Worse still not all the items were genuine, some Yoda could sense in the force as soon as he came near a building, others were simply counterfeits, or old relics with no inherent powers.  Nonetheless the Jedi had to honour the agreements they had made.

Valens had done well, he showed a great interest in learning about each world, their histories and culture.  He had also proved himself well suited to the task, one object a wooden statue of a robed warrior Yoda had thought devoid of any worth, until back on the ship Valens had shown him how wrong he was. 

“Don’t try to sense from the object, rather sense the effect it has on things around it. An objects power is about how it affects other things, not in the thing itself,”

Yoda closed his eyes and focused on the space around the object, a difficult thing to do to focus on the emptiness, but after a few minutes he could sense it, a dark swirling jigsaw like pattern about the statue, as though it fitted somewhere, a small part of something much bigger. Neither of them could guess what, but Yoda hoped whatever this object was, it was never fitted back into its intended place.
*************************************************************************************************************
Zuum was one of the friendliest Jedi Yoda had ever met, a blue Chagrian with a huge smile and welcoming presence.  They had rendezvoused on Telos and would proceed further along the Hydian way to the Corporate sector where most of the contacts on Yoda’s list were located.  To keep things low key they both flew small ships, Zuum would return with the first load to Coruscant once his was full, Yoda with the second lot. 

With the recent attacks they were trying hard not to attract attention, they wore plain clothes in the space port, they saved their robes for the actual transactions.

“Well met friends” Zuum beamed, “How goes the hunt,”

“Pleased to meet you Knight Zuum, well it goes, my apprentice, Padawan Valens this is,” Valens gave him an oddly blank side look at the title.

Zuum clapped his hand on Valens shoulder, “Strapping lad, good Jedi this one’ll be I can tell, hungry!” Zumm turned round and produced three bowls of an oddly off smelling stew,

“Made it myself just for you,” Yoda graciously accepted but couldn’t keep his nose from scrunching as the smell got closer,

“My own secret spice! Ah it’s wonderful to meet new Jedi, often heard my own Master Rorshn speak of you Master Yoda, glad to finally meet you !”  He ushered them to some crates beside his clean lined Hapan light freighter.

Yoda tasted the stew, it was not…terrible.

“Much success have you had,”  he inquired

“Ah yes, to business,  Sunnia’s half full already, yours,”

Yoda looked back to his LN-2, “Few objects, mostly small so far they have been,”

“Ah well I expect we’ll find lots on Bonadan, you know I…”

He stopped, they all sensed it, danger.

Valens shifted, Zuum gently lowered his half eaten stew, Yoda held his bowl tightly.  Then it began. 

As the first red bolt screamed toward them Yoda jumped, spinning around he threw the bowl behind him hitting a helmeted figured in the face plate…what a waste, Yoda mused.  Mandolorians.

In the same instant Zuums blue blade deflected the shot, but more came. Valens leapt from the crate and up…and up, onto the top of Sunnia.  Yoda ignited his blade in his right hand deflecting the blaster bolts whilst sending back two, three, four grenades to their owners.  Behind him Zuum was working his way forward, Yoda could sense five nearby three in front of him, two behind…there must be…Then he saw it coming in above him, three drones overhead speeding toward them crackling with electro nets and equipped with gas canisters. 

As he prepared to leap at them before they could unleash their pay load a flying green lightsabre sliced through them with precision that Yoda would’ve struggled to match,

Then he heard it, not just heard, felt.  The crackle, the metal taste in the air, the dark pool at the back of his mind as Sith lightning was unleashed. 

From the top of the Sunnia Valens stood with hands outstretched to either side of him unleashing torrents of lightning at either group of Mandolorians.  Before Yoda could say anything he felt their lives snuff out and the smell of charred flesh smoke out from beneath the armour.
*************************************************************************************************************
Zuum stared wide eyed, Yoda intently.  Valens looked down at his feet before them.  The authorities had taken away the bodies and were investigating, Yoda had informed the Council, if not before, it was clear now the attacks on the Archives Project were co-ordinated. 

But with Valens he had a larger problem.

He knew Valens had been trained in very different circumstances, but to unleash such lightning so quickly, and so powerfully on command….  Yoda had not seen that kind of power used for many years, when he had it was rarely strong enough to kill instantly.

“To avoid the temptations of the dark side, such techniques, avoid we must,”

Though his face was down cast, he knew Valens was unconvinced,

“Though…” Yoda struggled for words and composure, “effective, risk too great it is.  Understand I do, when threatened revert to your…” he didn’t want to say old and imply it was outdated or wrong…”previous training, but in the future control exercise you must,” 

Valens raised his head slightly, “My apologies master, I didn’t think…I thought…well…everyone could, and did….”

Yoda laid reassuring hand on his shoulder, “Alright it is, unexpected to me this was…” he thought for a moment “To learn to channel such power in other ways, this your greatest challenge in becoming a Jedi will be,”

He looked slightly less uncomfortable, “I will do as you say Master,” he replied, then looked to Zuum.

Zuum was expressionless for a moment, then beamed “What did I tell you, a good Jedi this one.  Ah what a fight eh, lets get some stew!”

Yoda pursed his lips at the thought of more stew, but smiled and followed Zuum into the Sunnia.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2017, 10:22:09 PM »

Wow.  What a fight indeed!

I like Yoda's reaction to the force lightning.  It is so .... Jedi!  :-)  And its intresting, Yoda himself was thinking how ossified and stagnant the Jedi ways had become, but his instinctive reaction to Valen's using the lightning is to tell him to stop, that it is a conduit to the Dark Side.  And in all honesty, the proverb springs to mind: Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So in that sense Yoda is right - having access to that kind of power requires equally powerful self-control.  The phrase I have always liked better, though, is a rip-off from Stan Lee.  With great power comes great responsibility.

Valens has a great responsibility. And now, so does Yoda...

Hmm.

No wonder he was reluctant to take on the Skywalkers for training.  Either of them.  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »

Wow.  What a fight indeed!

I like Yoda's reaction to the force lightning.  It is so .... Jedi!  :-)  And its intresting, Yoda himself was thinking how ossified and stagnant the Jedi ways had become, but his instinctive reaction to Valen's using the lightning is to tell him to stop, that it is a conduit to the Dark Side.  And in all honesty, the proverb springs to mind: Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

So in that sense Yoda is right - having access to that kind of power requires equally powerful self-control.  The phrase I have always liked better, though, is a rip-off from Stan Lee.  With great power comes great responsibility.

Valens has a great responsibility. And now, so does Yoda...

Hmm.

No wonder he was reluctant to take on the Skywalkers for training.  Either of them.  :-)

Thanks,
Yes I wanted to put Yoda in a really difficult situation and I amended it a bit based on your prior observations...I think there is a tension that though Yoda wants to avoid the Jedi ossifying, when faced with what that really might mean...it scares him more than a little.

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »

Thanks,
Yes I wanted to put Yoda in a really difficult situation and I amended it a bit based on your prior observations...I think there is a tension that though Yoda wants to avoid the Jedi ossifying, when faced with what that really might mean...it scares him more than a little.
Yes!  And it's this pathos that lends itself to both great storytelling and great tragedy.  So much of what the Jedi held as doctrine--dogma, really--is incongruous with natural, not to mention HUMAN (oid), survival.  Valens has combat pragmatism.  Like Karm said: Yoda vacillating between these two schools of thought is testament to good writing  Smiley  Still, I wonder when the cracks will widen to chasms  Wink

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »

That combat pragmatism may end up being a key factor in Valen's moving away from Jedi doctrine.  But there's more to come, and these characters all have long and hard roads to walk.  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2017, 11:30:02 PM »

For everyone wondering what became of her, especially TR....

Cilina

The shrill call of the alarm woke her. She rose gradually and looked over to the cot, Milaea was sleeping soundly.  It was a small mercy, she had thought that she could keep her, until she discovered from one of the other slaves it was only because their master intended to sell her later.  

But for the fact she was pregnant Cilina would’ve killed herself, and as many of the alien filth around as possible long ago.  She had Milaea now, born on an alien world, without the aether of her home to welcome her, and Cilina bereft of her parents, her sister…at least the doctor had been a type of human…for Milaea she had to live.  

The question was how long.  She hoped Jarys was out there somewhere looking for her, she would not allow their daughter to be raised a slave.  Rather than be parted she would kill her daughter first.

As she put on her fresh white dress that she cleaned herself last night, she wondered how it had come to this.  Everything had seemed so beautiful, so right at her wedding…now she was enslaved to a ‘Bith’ creature and contemplating killing her child to save her from the same fate.

She checked the pale blue roster on the wall that listed her tasks for the day in an ugly language that had far too many curves in the letters.  Standard fare, prepare refreshments wait on guests in the audience room. With apathetic steps she went about her tasks leaving Milaea to sleep.
*************************************************************************************************

The hideous old Twi’lek ‘female’, with a name Cilina refused to try to pronounce was already busy cooking.  The filthy old bat had tried to be nice to her, but Cilina knew it was all for show…but for Milaea…she’d be one of the first necks she would snap.

“We’ll need a plate of Tugi Puffs, one of Frenage crisps and two jugs of Koolah,” Cilina scrunched her nose at these alien dishes, “You should be thankful our duties are so light,” the old creature had told he, she supposed having to cook and clean wasn’t so bad a task…better than working in a mine or something…but it wasn’t the point…why should be thankful for being forced to work less hard than someone else – she was still being forced.  

She hated it, the stink of the aliens, their food, the icky feel of the aether here…she wanted to escape but where could she go…what would she do?  Every night she would send out a beacon in the aether hoping someone would respond…but nothing…

She sighed heavily and set to work.
*************************************************************************************************
Audiences were boring.  She would have to stand there holding a tray of hideous food stuffs trying to look pretty so her master, the fat headed Bith filth, could look rich and successful, sitting on his opulent chair having his guests stand to address him.

She indifferently blew a stray strand of hair from her eyes as todays guests entered.  Immediately she felt something was different.  For the first time in months she could feel something in the aether stronger than the breath of a child, one strong breeze and another…a stillness, no a negative space, that was familiar.

Behind a hideous little green creature with tufts of brown hair in an ugly robe that only made it look more like a vagabond followed, in a similar robe, the familiar face of Valens.  Her eyes widened.  She didn’t know what to do.

“Welcome Master Jedi, please take some refreshment,” her master oozed clapping his hands, one of the other slaves, a disgusting red twi’lek beside her moved toward them her tray out, Cilina remained frozen.  Only a look from her master and his anger rising in aether made one foot follow the other.  

The green creature dismissed their offerings, Valens dismissed the twi’lek, as Cilina held out her tray he looked straight into her eyes, but his face was impassive.  Had he come to rescue her?  She lingered as he moved his hand over the small pastries, her heart pounding, she stared at that hand more intently than her own daughters face, as it quickly pointed toward her master, then clenched into a rapid fist before rising and turning to wave her away.

“Thank you for you hospitality we do,” the green thing spoke with appalling grammar, “to deliver the credits and collect the items we have come,”

“Of course of course. Tyggon” he yelled and clapped, from the side door came Tyggon a nasty brute of a creature all covered in fur carrying a large crate in one hand and a datapad in the other.  He placed the crate beside the green alien and handed him the datapad.  The green abomination pressed his thumb transferring funds as she understood it and Tyggon shuffled back off to his squalid coroner

“Thanks you the Jedi order does Maester Corfulin,” the green creature said with a short bow,

“My thanks as well, please feel free to stay for lunch,” her master pressed, he loved any opportunity to show off his wealth with extravagant dishes, she could tell this ‘Jedi’ creature was having none of it,

“Our thanks again, but go we must,” he turned and left, Valens lifted the crate with unnatural strength and gave Cilina one last unblinking look before he followed the Jedi thing out.  After the door had closed she felt a quick thought pierce her mind in the aether.

Soon
She could barely sleep, not just because Milaea was fussing, but the excitement of her imminent rescue.  Everything she had suspected was confirmed, the Guardians would find them, take them back home and Jarys would finally see his daughter, Milaea would feel the welcoming dark warmth of the aether on her home world.

There was so much to be done, but what could she do?  Her first sleep was fitful, her second worse, finally she settled a bit, perhaps tonight was not the night, planning was needed...but when...she couldn't wait much longer...she just couldn't take it anymore...

She choked up as she felt a hand across her face, her instinct was to scream but some force kept her unnaturally calm.

“It’s alright, I’m here”  she heard Valens whisper. He let her go, and gestured toward Milaea who was sleeping unusually soundly.

She picked her up and he gestured her to follow, she looked about the other beds but the other ‘females’ if such could be said of the filthy aliens, were gone.  

She followed him through the halls to the audience chamber, which from the hall she could see was lit.  Wasn’t he trying to be quiet?

If she hadn’t seen her people enslaved and murdered before her eyes, what she saw now would be the most horrific thing she had ever seen.

The bodies of her master, all his paid servants who lived in the mansion, the guards and other alien slaves were splayed across the room in strange patterns of limbs and organs.  It reeked of blood and foetid fluids she had no name for.  The Biths head was on the limbless Tyggons body on the throne chair.  

It was terrifying

It was glorious

A statement of what would become of those who dared offend an Aethan, she regretted she hadn’t done it herself.

“Did you make them suffer?” she whispered, trying not to giggle with glee as pressed herself against her brother in law, there wasn’t a drop of blood on him.  It felt so good to know her new family was there for her.

“There wasn’t enough time, we have to go,”  Cilina was disappointed but understood
The ships dorm was small but comfortable.  Things had moved rapidly after her escape.  Valens had taken her to the starport then had her, under his instruction, break into the ship he shared with the ‘Jedi’.  This convinced the green Yoda thing that she had escaped her captivity and of the need for her to leave soon.  

Whilst Valens and Yoda were to travel onto another world, she would go with a ‘Jedi’ thing called Suum, or Zuum, or something who was taking various things they had bought off her happily deceased Bith master and others back to Coruscant where Valens would return to her later.

Like any Aethan she trusted the judgement and plans of the Guardian implicitly.  She only hoped she would find more of them there.  Valens had been circumspect about any others he had found.

Milaea blurted and cooed contentedly, she could no doubt feel how happy and safe Cilina now felt in the aether and responded in kind.  She was happy Milaea was so young and these horrid events would barely form a memory.  Cilina was already crafting a story to tell her of how the filthy evil aliens got their comeuppance.

The still breeze of the aether in space rumbled, the ship shook violently, the lights went off, she hugged Milaea close to her.

Zuum appeared at the door, “Stay in here and don’t open the door, try and keep your little puppy quiet if you can,”

She wrinkled at the alien even acknowledging her daughter, but closed the door behind him.  She reached out with the aether, Zuum was a blue clouds on its winds, and near him…brownish smogs, two, three…the ship shook again and the warning sirens began.  Milaea screamed at the noise.  Cilina frantically enveloped her in an aetheric field to lessen the sound waves that reached her, she was never very good at protective arts.  

The horrid sound of blaster fire erupted, she balled around her daughter in the small pace between the bed and the wall.  A humming sound, more bolts, a clash, then…a dark red wind blew through the aether sweeping Zuum away.

Cilina trembled, Milaeas eyes were wide and wild with fear.  The sirens went off, the silence punctuated by heavy boots on the metal deck. She cradled Milaea in her left arm and stretched her right arm out toward the door.  

Clattering, electric sparking just outside.  It opened.  She fired all the aetheric fire she could muster, a stream of burning blue enveloped a huge armoured man, seeping into the joints of his armour and burning him alive, he waved his limbs but soon crumpled down.  

There was a shout, arguing in the guttural ‘Huttese’ so called language, the red wind approached the door.  She fired again but as it reached the figure it was snuffed out like a candle. Cilina looked up to the figures face.

She saw her sister’s widest smile beneath the eyes of a stranger.  

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »

Outstanding!  So Cilina comes face to face with Sevra...I wonder which warring emotions she'll have when she realizes someone else is wearing her sister's face. 

Great seeing Valens outside the controlled setting of the Jedi Temple. More a "force of nature" than "magic monk"  Wink

I am worried about Milaea though; how much could Lyr get for a Force sensitive infant...

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2017, 02:24:01 AM »

Wow, great chapter.  Not the reunion she was expecting I'm sure.  :-)

This could be ... interesting.  The Jedi buy artifacts back ... and now they're being stolen yet again!  What are they after?  Just how important are these things?  That hint, that there seemed to be a puzzle in play, to which the artifacts were pieces...  Why do I think we're going to eventually see that puzzle assembled?  Or at least an attempt at that? 

Hmm...

Meanwhile, I agree with Dutchman.  Poor Cilina and Milaea...  And poor Lyr!  I suspect attempting to separate mother and child will have catastrophic consequences....

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 01:49:36 AM »

Just caught up on this, and I gotta say, these were some intense installments. So much happening, and somehow it all has to fit together. Not yet sure how you are going to do it, but it'll be good. The reunion between Cilina and Sevra will be strange, and I'm not sure how it will end, but even more so, I'm wondering what would/will happen when Valens meets Sevra. I also love how the first thing that TD thought of was what would happen to Lyr. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 02:47:59 AM »

These two chapters Go together, for reasons you'll soon see....

The Beast of the Arena
As satisfied as he felt when he was enjoying the slave girl, he felt equally guilty afterwards.  He longed for the Arena at times, to slip back into that primal state where survival, the death of his rival was all that existed.   

Outside of that were thoughts he did not want, his failure to save his people, his betrayal of his wife, physically if not emotionally, his acquiescence to his new life.  In his bloody victory, in the challenge of the fight - such things were mercifully forgotten.

The familiar tapping came from the grate,
“Kill-man-beast, Tiiko back, Tiiko have good news!”

He sighed and left his sleeping…lover? Whore?

“Alright let’s hear it,”

“Two days big fight, kill-man-beast fight Crazy-Nagai-thing, fat-brown-glooba thing and evil green master be there.  Tiiko has device ready, Tiiko make beautiful device, Tiiko write beautiful code, green master make bet, code snuggle into system, kill-man-beast hit button,”  a small remote slipped through the grates, Jarys caught it with an indifferent hand, “shield come down, exit lock up, kill-man-beast kill kill kill till all dead Yes?!”

He looked at the device in his hands.  This was it, his chance to finally end this nightmare, and at least die killing his real enemies rather than another arena slave.  Yet the will to survive at any cost had brought him so far, to use this was certain death.  He couldn’t win, not this time.  At least he could die showing them what a Guardian of Aethas ought to do.

“Yes…” he replies with more enthusiasm than he felt, “We’ll both get our revenge,”

Tiiko squeaked in his version of laughter, “Tiiko like, Tiiko happy, many years sad, Tiiko happy!”

The rhythmic beating of the crowd as he stepped out pounded in his head.  The white skinned Nagai was waiting for him.  Both were armed the same, basic hardened synth leather armour and a vibro blade.  It was meant to be a fair a fight as possible.  Since being purchased by the Falleen he had fought more ‘high tier’ matches like this than the flood of untrained desperate slaves under the Hutt.  They were all the same, just more aliens to slaughter.

The Nagai was highly rated, tipped to beat him in fact he had heard the other slaves in the cages of the arena chatting as he suited up.  In the stands he could see the Hutt, Myzm was his name, opposite him above the Nagai in the stands again with the green Twi’lek.  The Falleen was to his left in a private booth toying with some poor Duros slave boy.  Behind him…behind him he sensed something, there was a Quarren and a tattooed woman, and another, much younger with a black metal claw for a left hand.  She looked familiar, felt familiar, but not quite…he didn’t have the time to probe.

The announcer called out, the signal chimed and it began.  The Nagai stalked around in an arc, he looked ferocious.  But this wasn’t his day.  Jarys had held off on doing this until it was totally needed, now was the time.  He raised his free left hand and pointed straight at the Nagai, he fell into the depths of his instincts, that part that knew only two things, kill or be killed. He let ‘Kill’ loose. 

Aetheric lightning poured from his finger tip straight into the Nagai, shocked he crumpled as his muscles contracted, his skin peeled in burning strips, the shouts of the crowd died in an instant.  With a thought he flicked the switch on the remote hidden in the back of his boot.

He dropped his sword as the shield around the arena fell, he brought his hands in line then moved them up.  He unleashed.
Lightning poured from him like a tsunami blanketing the screaming crowd, most collapsed unable to move as their muscles contorted due to the electrical impulses, others with different biologies scrambled to flee but only found themselves squashed into the locked down tunnel exists. 

He swept in a broad arc all around the stadium, the smoke from burning flesh rose in its wake.  A feeling of relief and release came over him as all the hate, anger and frustration poured out of him onto the crowd, like a dam bursting, drowning them in burning arcs.

Once he had finished a full 360 he summoned the vibroblades to his hands and leapt into the stands.

The aether was an ocean of fear rained upon by storms of blood, the floor littered with melted and charred flesh. he waded through it with grace, dispatching fleeing spectator with all the mercy a starving Vorynx would show its prey.

He reached the Falleens box, his four guards were armoured, well trained and would be more than a match for any warrior.  Not him.  With a bloody wave in the aether their chests imploded, with an indifferent spin their heads were severed.  The Falleen was haemorrhaging fear pheromones as Jarys stood over him.  With swift strokes from both sword he cut him in three, then pulled his eyes out with the aether.

He could almost hear Tiikos squeak of laughter.

The Hutt was gurgling like mad, his twi’lek friend had vanished, a few fat Gamorreans stood in front of him.  Jarys stalked over indifferently loping off the heads of any spectator within reach along the way. The aether was now saturated in blood, he was floating in it, killing by pure instinct, his consciousness only barely guiding him to his target

By the time the guard saw him coming it was too late, he twirled in a vortex of death through them, stopping to face the Hutt.  He thought he should say something grand like in all the stories, but a monologue was a waste time. 

With precision he reached into the aether and pulled the moist quivering eyes from the Hutts head, and then threw them into the mouth wide with pain.  He smiled viciously as he sheathed one blade and placed his hand on the Hutts massive stomach, Aetheric fire flowed out into the Hutt, immolating him from within, the smoke and blue flame rose from the holes of his mouth, nose and eyes. 

Emergency lights came on, sirens blared, Tiikos beautiful code had run its course, he felt the turbulent flow of people fleeing the now open exits.

He turned and surveyed his work, hundreds of bodies bleeding, melting or fleeing, except one, the woman with the metal claw just stared at him.  He sized her up against his strength…he was worn from the lightning…perhaps another day. 

Survival was all that mattered now.  Loping over the bodies he used the aether to scoop up a cloak, a few blasters and some opulent purses and jewellery from the corpses then vanished into the tunnels amongst the fleeing crowd.

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: