Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Is anyone too old to play with lightsabers?  (Read 19969 times)
HeartbreakOne
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 19

« on: September 29, 2017, 02:19:14 AM »

How old is too old? I'm 21. People say I'm too old for it.

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:35:13 AM »

You do realize where you're asking this question, don't you?

Of course not!!! They're just jealous. Haters gonna hate.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »

Then tell them your not playing. Tell them you are learning coordination and/or self defense (with a beautiful toy). But no, you are never too old.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:29:53 AM »

Just smack them with a heavy grade, that ought to shut them up.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:18 AM »

Here here on what's been said so far. I say tell'em don't knock it til you try it. My go to icebreaker for visiting celebrities at their booths last March at Comic Con was handing them one of my sabers and watching their faces light up with delight as they powered it on and crossed it with mine. They were giddy. Those who say your too old at their core really want one, too, but are just suppressing their inner geek. They're adulting far too much.  Grin

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »

I'm be 47 in December and just started buying them this year, I know have 5 just for me, my the kids are each getting one for Christmas. So you are not too old.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vivectius
Dark Liberator of Lost Posts
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -719

I always feel like he’s judging my posts.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »

People are stupid ignorant wastes of food and oxygen that should not be allowed to reproduce, and in fact should be forcibly euthanized en masse. As soon as you let people decide for you what you can and cannot do, what you should and should not do, you just as well lobotomize yourself with an ice pick and call it a day.

The only person who can decide if you're too old to use one or not is yourself. Listen to no one else.

For myself, I'm a mostly responsible 43 year old adult, holding a steady job that I've had for over 11 years, providing for my wife and two children. Bills get paid, food is on the table for every meal, emergencies get taken care of as they arise. I practice Kenjutsu, both with a katana and a lightsaber. I also chase my kids around the yard with the lightsabers, my step-son being 23 and my daughter being 15, playing with them and generally acting silly. I'm "serious and mature" when I need to be, but that never stops me from being silly and having fun at other times. Anyone who says you have to be "mature, responsible, and serious" all the time after a certain age is wrong.

Perhaps I should have put this in the venting thread....

You only live once. Wrong.
You only die once.  You live every moment of your life.
The question is, are you alive, and living your life? Or just here, and watching your life go by?
------------------------------------------------------------------
I am the bone of my sword
 Steel is my body and fire is my blood
 I have created over a thousand blades
 Unknown to death
 Nor known to life
 Have withstood pain to create many weapons
 Yet those hands will never hold anything
 So, as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »

Na Viv it fits right here. Like everyone before me said, you are never too old to have/use something you enjoy. To hell with those who try to make you feel bad for having something you love.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »

The funny thing is, at 21 you're likely one of the youngest members of this forum.  Of course, you'll find we're a bit biased in answering questions like these... I mean, it's a whole forum dedicated to a manufacturer of lightsabers Wink

But no, I don't think you can be "too old" for these things.  They fill a whole variety of roles to different people of all ages, from a symbol to a training weapon.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »

Depends what you mean by playing.  Too old to chase the cat/dog around the house with a saber making sound effects with your mouth?  Yeah, probably.  Tongue  Too old to learn combat and/or performance arts with a saber, which can also be called saber play?  Never.  If that's what you're into, or even just buying sabers to collect and enjoy them, then there's no age restrictions.  It's actually an excellent hobby and, if you get into combat or performance arts, can be great for your fitness too.  If you get into saber building, it can even be good for your mental fitness.  i suspect people who think you're playing with sabers like a little kid just don't understand the hobby.

I'm 38, I bought my first nice saber, an UltraSabers Initiate LE V4 from a Grab Bag, last year.  My mom, who is 62, wanted to look at it and even hold it and activate it.  She said it was cool.  So, no, you're not too old.  Wink

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »

Depends what you mean by playing.  Too old to chase the cat/dog around the house with a saber making sound effects with your mouth?  Yeah, probably.  Tongue  Too old to learn combat and/or performance arts with a saber, which can also be called saber play?  Never.  If that's what you're into, or even just buying sabers to collect and enjoy them, then there's no age restrictions.  It's actually an excellent hobby and, if you get into combat or performance arts, can be great for your fitness too.  If you get into saber building, it can even be good for your mental fitness.  i suspect people who think you're playing with sabers like a little kid just don't understand the hobby.

I'm 38, I bought my first nice saber, an UltraSabers Initiate LE V4 from a Grab Bag, last year.  My mom, who is 62, wanted to look at it and even hold it and activate it.  She said it was cool.  So, no, you're not too old.  Wink

Did a full install and customization on an Initiate for my mom's 60th a little while back, she loved it.

Oh, and chasing the cat is always a good choice.  Mine LOVES lightsabers!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 05:43:57 PM »

Introduce me to these people, and I will show the full power of the Dark Side. Her name is Noctis. I'll leave the rest of it in her capable hands.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

HeartbreakOne
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 19

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »

Depends what you mean by playing.  Too old to chase the cat/dog around the house with a saber making sound effects with your mouth?  Yeah, probably.  Tongue 

LOL that made me laugh! 😂

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »

At what point is someone too old to judge and tell others what to do when they aren't harming anyone? Immature people mock and judge. Mature people tolerate and discuss.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »

I am 46.  You're never to old.  :-)

And then there's this....   My town does "Movies in the Park" on Friday nights in the summer.  One of the movies this year was "The Force Awakens".  Of course, we went.

I and my daughters all have multiple US hilts.  So we decided, why not.  We're going to be in a park, outside, at dusk.  Time to do some dueling!

(It doesn't hurt that we are all trained martial artists, so we actually know what we're doing...  LOL)

So we get there...   I have my Aeon V4 Emerald/Obsidian set to Sentinel Yellow.  Older daughter has a highly modified Initiate V3 with Obs Lite in Violet Amethyst.  Younger Daughter has an Apprentice V4 LE with Obs Lite in SRD.  All three with 32" blades, which we prefer for dueling.

We got there a little late, and we found a field FULL of sabers!

One of the sponsers had passed out these neat little blue sabers.  I think you can get them at WalMart for like $5.  They're about 24" long (total) and make some noise but they're ... toys.

So there's tons of kids (and a few adults) running around, all with the same, small, blue sabers.

And then we lit ours off.

Soon we were in a circle of onlookers, dueling away, having a great time, and telling bunches of people where we got our sabers.  :-) 
Yes, the force was with us that night... 

And you're NEVER to old to play with lightsabers!

But if someone gives you grief...  Its a legit martial art!  Also great a cardio workout!  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: