Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Quick release coupler in combat.  (Read 8224 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2020, 02:31:38 AM »

Separating the sabers out of a stab seems to be pretty doable, but bringing them back together is still proving to be more challenging. Here is my best attempt so far at it:
https://i.imgur.com/4RtMuE8.mp4
Yea that looks like a good base for assault, surprise attack confusing opponent trying for a point, if unsuccessful using deflecting spins and back peddling while creating distance, then using a 1.5 second window to reconnect and renew assault. None too shabby, pretty sound execution from my viewpoint.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2020, 02:56:14 AM »

Yea that looks like a good base for assault, surprise attack confusing opponent trying for a point, if unsuccessful using deflecting spins and back peddling while creating distance, then using a 1.5 second window to reconnect and renew assault. None too shabby, pretty sound execution from my viewpoint.
Thank you. The back peddling and deflecting spins are defensive in nature as you said, but also that entire time I am manipulating the coupler to get it ready to reconnect the sabers. I continue the spins until I feel the coupler is ready, and then attempt to connect them. It's not perfect, and doesn't always work, but it is a nice option to have, and more practice should help smooth it out.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2020, 03:10:34 AM »

I am thinking that if I could have ANY QR coupler design, regardless of price or even if it's truly feasible, I'd want one of the two ends to have a strong magnet, and the other end to be attracted to it. With the press of a button, it would deactivate, or at least significantly weaken the magnet, allowing the two staffs to be pulled apart, and then, when you want to reattach them, you place them together and press the button again to activate the magnet to hold them in place.

The closest thing I've found so far is this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnpmG6dLFU&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnpmG6dLFU&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MJ-150

Which is a magnet that can be turned off and/or weakened with a switch. However, that switch is on the back of the magnet, which would not work for a coupler. It would have to be on the side of the magnet, but even then, a big knob like that in the middle of the staff would be quite cumbersome for normal use. Ideally I'd like to have a switch or button that lays much flatter than that, but it would have to be done in a way as not be be accidentally engaged, of course.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2020, 03:23:42 AM »

Thank you. The back peddling and deflecting spins are defensive in nature as you said, but also that entire time I am manipulating the coupler to get it ready to reconnect the sabers. I continue the spins until I feel the coupler is ready, and then attempt to connect them. It's not perfect, and doesn't always work, but it is a nice option to have, and more practice should help smooth it out.
Yep, I do my best to dissect what I see in the movements and attempt interpreting the intent. Trying to read you as if I might be "the opponent" on occasion, for attack patterns and openings. The more I visualize the ebb and flow of combat solo, potential moves and counter moves of a "shadow opponent" the better; seeing them in my possible openings and parrying, evading, reciprocating my best attacks. I love to be my own worst enemy if I lack a training partner. Even many years later I remember moves that led to my defeat, trying to integrate or counteract them.

I'd also thought a magnet based coupler might be great for it's ease of use potentially, the likely problem being shielding the internal components of the hilt closest to the ends from the effects of the magnet(s) as well. Too strong and you could mess up wires or fry circuits even (I'm fairly certain), but too weak and you run the risk of your lightsaber flying apart during a move generating too much force. That'd be tricky to design indeed. Although, the type of magnet you've shown could be integrated into a "specially designed coupler" in theory! That's how I assumed the QR worked at first, like in the book. In this example/prototype you'd rotate one of the saber hilts (lets say 90 degrees clockwise), that'd "weaken" the magnet pull as shown. Then simply fit them back together and rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise to reestablish your connection. With long enough hilts you could probably find a way to shield or distance the magnetic internal components too. I'd wager a stunt saber (with no sound board to damage/fry) might be easiest to make a working model.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 07:20:44 AM »

Yep, I do my best to dissect what I see in the movements and attempt interpreting the intent. Trying to read you as if I might be "the opponent" on occasion, for attack patterns and openings. The more I visualize the ebb and flow of combat solo, potential moves and counter moves of a "shadow opponent" the better; seeing them in my possible openings and parrying, evading, reciprocating my best attacks. I love to be my own worst enemy if I lack a training partner. Even many years later I remember moves that led to my defeat, trying to integrate or counteract them.

I'd also thought a magnet based coupler might be great for it's ease of use potentially, the likely problem being shielding the internal components of the hilt closest to the ends from the effects of the magnet(s) as well. Too strong and you could mess up wires or fry circuits even (I'm fairly certain), but too weak and you run the risk of your lightsaber flying apart during a move generating too much force. That'd be tricky to design indeed. Although, the type of magnet you've shown could be integrated into a "specially designed coupler" in theory! That's how I assumed the QR worked at first, like in the book. In this example/prototype you'd rotate one of the saber hilts (lets say 90 degrees clockwise), that'd "weaken" the magnet pull as shown. Then simply fit them back together and rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise to reestablish your connection. With long enough hilts you could probably find a way to shield or distance the magnetic internal components too. I'd wager a stunt saber (with no sound board to damage/fry) might be easiest to make a working model.
You raise some very good points and ideas. Perhaps if I ever do try to go down this route I may try it with just some PVC or aluminum pipes with the proposed magnetic coupler on the ends/pommels, just to see how feasible it is, both in terms of stability when solid as well as ease of separating and rejoining. If that did work out, protecting saber internals would be the next hurdle to consider, but only if the design clears the first hurdle of course.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »

Ha, more power to you. If you patent the design don't forget to kick me some miniscule royalty for brainstorming with you. Although all jokes aside money is worthless to me in comparison to a bit of notoriety, infamy is just fine as long as I know I helped advance the craft. Finances are boring, but inspiring technical evolution is exciting. People put so much emphasis on money, when even after death (when money serves no purpose) being "that guy" who was in the background and "sparked an idea" that led to some revolutionary concept... that has meaning even if nobody knows it. Creation for the sake of creation is a reoccurring theme with Sith Lords so I guess it makes sense in that light. Especially since I'm involved in weapons development or combat technique/theory most of the time when working with you. Bet the Jedi Council would love that one, my persona would likely get yours exiled for heresy. I can be such a nerd but it keeps me laughing.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »

Ha, more power to you. If you patent the design don't forget to kick me some miniscule royalty for brainstorming with you. Although all jokes aside money is worthless to me in comparison to a bit of notoriety, infamy is just fine as long as I know I helped advance the craft. Finances are boring, but inspiring technical evolution is exciting. People put so much emphasis on money, when even after death (when money serves no purpose) being "that guy" who was in the background and "sparked an idea" that led to some revolutionary concept... that has meaning even if nobody knows it. Creation for the sake of creation is a reoccurring theme with Sith Lords so I guess it makes sense in that light. Especially since I'm involved in weapons development or combat technique/theory most of the time when working with you. Bet the Jedi Council would love that one, my persona would likely get yours exiled for heresy. I can be such a nerd but it keeps me laughing.
If this would be the straw that broke the camel's back in my exile from the order, then so be it. I try not to be too rigid. In Star Wars terms, I suppose you could call it being open to going where the force guides me. If that direction is out of the Order, then it is out of the order. In the words of Bruce Lee, who would have been one hell of a Jedi (assuming he wasn't exiled from the order for being too untraditional) "notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

And nothing wrong with being a nerd. I am most assuredly a nerd as well.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »

Added some gaffer tape to the two choke points on one of the two hilts. This serves the purpose of helping me to identify which side of the staff is forwards, so I can know which way to manipulate the coupler to separate the staffs. The two black portions should be fairly visible even with the blades on, and there's also a tactile difference where the tape is, so it seems I could also be able to feel which side is which by the presence or absence of this tape/grip texture.

The good thing about gaffer tape is that it is not supposed to leave any residue when removed, yet is also designed to be strong and durable, which should make it perfect for this application.

I also think it looks pretty sweet.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »

Another potential way to make a coupler, which was brought to my mind by DarthProdigal's mentioning of twisting the sabers to activate the coupler, would be something akin to the way Ironmaster dumbbells work.

They are a variation on your standard spinlock adjustable dumbbells that lets you change the weight on dumbbells quickly. If you look at the image below:

You can see the basic principles of how it works. Instead of a fully threaded screw that you'd have to screw in the entire way, which would take WAY too long for saber combat, you simply stick the partially threaded pin into the hole, and then rotate it in such a way that the portion of the screw that is threaded now lock into the part of the hole that is also threaded, which effectively locks them in place. From there, you'd twist them sufficiently to disengage the threads, allowing them to be pulled apart.

You can see the partially threaded screws here:

You can see how they show the necessary rotation to engage or disengage the locked position.

The partially threaded rod will only go into the hole if it is lined up properly with the threading in the hollow portion. See video at the following timestamp:
http://youtu.be/POagJigPc_Q?t=656

Once the rod is slid in, you then have to rotate it sufficiently to lock it in place. I'm reading it has to be rotated to not be within 10:00 and 2:00 of the lined-up position, which means that you have to rotate it at least 60 degrees, so a 90 degree rotation should be plenty sufficient. See below image:

One issue I see with this is perhaps the length of the threaded rod making it a bit cumbersome to insert, although I don't know how long it actually has to be. The dumbbell threaded rod is so long to allow it to hold many plates. I could check to see what the maximum plate thickness they recommend is to see exactly how much thread they say is the least they'd run. Getting it to line up to insert it may also be a slight issue, but you can likely just rotate it around until it works, so I'd imagine this may still be simpler than trying to hold down the QR coupler while attempting to insert it while keeping it held down with one hand as I do now.

Still, no fancy magnets required. May be worth looking in to perhaps?

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2020, 03:15:38 AM »

I'll need to look at the video and dynamics of that bolt system in relation to potential physics concerns. The length of bolt required being likely directly proportional to the potential force(s) it has to endure. Much like the strength of magnet required also relates to this. Generated force from velocity in spinning, vibration concerns in accidentally disengaging the connection slowly, similar vibrations or force from clashing/impacts sparring, subconscious or conscious actions and reactions in movement and hand placement resulting from opponent actions. These things would have to be considered and field tested, but still unseen things or degradation over time could still occur. I have no idea what the "expected life" of a QR coupler is, and is likely based highly on it's owner's use. I'd have to ask some of the long running users how they endure 3-5 years after purchase and extensive use. The idea's we've come up with might ironically serve someone less apt to use these QR variants in ways we'd intend. More so for simpler stage combat (in very controlled ways), pure cosplay fun, or display pieces. Under the savagery of practice combat closer to "full impact"/blade clash sparring or intense movements in extended drills/ filming video they might not hold up as long. But yes, that is a potentially good idea in the making. Just requiring a degree of technical excellence to develop and technique to use.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »

I'll need to look at the video and dynamics of that bolt system in relation to potential physics concerns. The length of bolt required being likely directly proportional to the potential force(s) it has to endure. Much like the strength of magnet required also relates to this. Generated force from velocity in spinning, vibration concerns in accidentally disengaging the connection slowly, similar vibrations or force from clashing/impacts sparring, subconscious or conscious actions and reactions in movement and hand placement resulting from opponent actions. These things would have to be considered and field tested, but still unseen things or degradation over time could still occur. I have no idea what the "expected life" of a QR coupler is, and is likely based highly on it's owner's use. I'd have to ask some of the long running users how they endure 3-5 years after purchase and extensive use. The idea's we've come up with might ironically serve someone less apt to use these QR variants in ways we'd intend. More so for simpler stage combat (in very controlled ways), pure cosplay fun, or display pieces. Under the savagery of practice combat closer to "full impact"/blade clash sparring or intense movements in extended drills/ filming video they might not hold up as long. But yes, that is a potentially good idea in the making. Just requiring a degree of technical excellence to develop and technique to use.
You raise good points as usual. I also do not know what the expected life of the actual US QR couplers is. While sparring would have the potential to damage it the fastest or most severely, perhaps much more frequent use in practice/exhibition could also start to wear it down over the years? But it seems pretty robust, so I'd think it should hold up for a while.

But you may be right, in that these alternate ideas may serve for quicker or more seamless transitions for exhibition purposes, but may not hold up to repeated high-impact sparring, where a trade-off of speed for security and durability is worthwhile.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »

So it seems that rotating the staffs a bit while trying to separate or join them helps a bit.

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2021, 02:21:24 AM »

It certainly would be useful in battle, then you could switch your styles up more easily and better surprise your opponents, which in combat is key. Observing your opponent is also a key part of it.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2021, 12:23:34 PM »

So it seems that rotating the staffs a bit while trying to separate or join them helps a bit.

I agree completely! In training I tend to keep that going so as to not give away when I will disconnect, or to try and not be "static/stationary" while separating thus telegraphing and creating a big opening in my defense. I do enjoy the helpful ability to keep visual awareness of which direction my coupler is facing with separate blade colors too, especially throughout the spinning and attacking movements. But what you're talking about can even help if you fail to disconnect or reconnect properly on the first attempt. So you're not just standing there struggling, or looking confused like "oops that didn't work, uh oh!" I have too much fun with the QR coupler even if it's not always the most practical thing.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: