Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Brand new to all of this  (Read 3082 times)
BlackPanther
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:41 PM »

Greetings ive been a fan for years and am finally pulling the trigger on purchasing a saber, however my question is what is a good saber for dueling.... Personally I want the Omen however would that be ideal for dueling? Most of the videos on it talk about its looks and how heavy it can be. I did see one review where he made mention that the claws could pose a possible safety issue. Hopefully someone on here could help me in making my informed decision on which would be the best for dueling

Lord Bladewraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -473

Either you like Star Wars... Or you're wrong.

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

Greetings, BlackPanther! Congratulations on entering the realm of Ultrasabers and Saberforum. The Sentinel is a highly respected hilt around these parts for dueling, as is the Arbiter. Both are easy to grip and maintain control.

Now for a word from our sponsor... Ultrasabers... before making any further posts, please complete the first step listed on the main Saberforum.com page to read and acknowledge the forum rules. We all do this when we join, the rules are simple and it ensures we're all on the same page...  Below is a screenshot and you can click on the image to go directly to the rules page to post your acknowledgement of them... Thanks in advance and welcome!

[/quote]

My Top 3 Favorite Sabers: Electrum Wind, Emperor's Hand and Shock LE

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -26

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »

Agreed with LB on the Sentinel. The Dominix/Aeon are also great for fighting. When it comes to using sabers for dueling, the less flash the better. I would recommend not using anything too fancy if you want to get good fights in. You're paying a premium for something you're going to cover with your hands. Any of the simple hilts will do just as well in fight as a Graflex will. Just my thoughts.

BlackPanther
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: -1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »

My apologies Lord bladewraitb I have since posted and acknowledgement on the rules page. And you say the sentinel.... Hmmm.... I just really want that Omen but both you and mimiga have made valid points any tips on practicing ?

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:25:53 PM »

My apologies Lord bladewraitb I have since posted and acknowledgement on the rules page. And you say the sentinel.... Hmmm.... I just really want that Omen but both you and mimiga have made valid points any tips on practicing ?

Depending of your style ... The AEON V2 could be a good choice because of its smaller diameter ... Very good for a fencing style Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -26

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:09 PM »

Find a partner and some safety gear. Do it often.

Guardianofwinds
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 03:19:45 PM »

Here is my advice. Look up reviews for the sabers you want on YouTube. Preferably by people who fight with them. Most of them will echo comments made above as to the less flash the better. Personally i have a dark standard issue grab bag from '2010 that has no knobs,buttons, or ilk that would get in the way. It's got a pretty good balance point. As for practicing, you will need to find someone to practice with and invest some time and money into finding good protective equipment. Bruised knuckles are no fun. A few places you can check out if you are new to this are: TPLA (Terra Prime light Armory) -They have an online training program and TONS of awesome material, They all frequent these boards and chime in from time to time.  The Second i'd reccomend is: TSL (The Saber legion) They are as far as i know in several countries and have charters just about everywhere. Third: Bendu lightsaber academy. I personally love their material and find it fascinating, especially their take on Soresu. Lastly, you'll want to facebook search your city/country/state/whatever for any local groups. Believe me, there maybe several people already thinking like you and would love to have another saber enthusiast.

Like they said, practice and practice often. Seek out any local Kumdo/Kendo/Kung fu/etc schools for training. There is only so much you can learn from videos.

oh, by the way. Welcome to what i call "The addiction" . You may have just bought one, but soon it'll be several

Be forgiving of the past, mindful of the present and hopeful toward the future

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »

IMO: the best saber for dueling is the Aeon V3, hands down. It has perfect choke points for grip and spinning. Its not flashy but for comfort and dueling it has it where it counts. For dueling less is more. 
 Now, if the Omen calls to you by all means get it. If you want to duel with it. I would suggest that you also buy a different emitter ( the part that holds the blade)  to use for that from the parts sec. For example the Arbiter emitter to go with it.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Dorinian AB; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »

In general sabers with claws or large protrusions are not good for dueling. I have an Omen and I duel with the Saber Legion and never the two shall meet. The cross pieces on the Omen are very hard edges and pose a very high risk to blades and people involved.
For heavy dueling I use a pair of Around V4s and a very modified Flamberge. I have a Scorpion that feels good in my hands but it is the clawed version so I don't use it much.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 05:21:17 AM »

Completely agree with Mav and firehand.  If you have your heart set on an Omen, I would buy a separate, simpler emitter to put on it when dueling.  A manticore would look sweet.

You don't want to be dueling with the Omen emitter as it is going to be way heavy and will slow you down considerably.  Personally I use a sentinel for dueling even though I like sabers with claws, I don't want to damage them or damage other with them.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: