Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Advice for first time purchaser  (Read 2235 times)
isdbear
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: October 17, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »

Hello,

I am looking at getting both of my children initiates (of different types and configurations) and another saber for myself (all 3 would be stunt sabers).  I have been going back and forth on investing the extra money in the Li-ion setup versus using regular rechargeable batteries for the sabers for my kids.  I have read a number of other forum discussions of the benefits to the Li-ion setup, but I am still torn on whether to invest the additional $105 to put it in 3 sabers.  So I thought I would reach out to those who have both types for advice.  I understand that there is a higher voltage provided by the Li-ion batteries.  In a stunt saber, does that superior voltage provide a noticeable difference in the brightness of the blade?  Would the regular batteries result in a disappointingly dim blade for my first purchases?  And I have read descriptions of "flickering" with regular batteries.  How severe is the flickering?  Is this a constant issue with the standard set-up?  Or does the blade just periodically experience a brief decrease in brightness?  Also, can anyone tell me whether the Li-ion batteries last longer?  Or does the higher voltage output exhaust the batteries sooner?  How long do the Li-ion batteries take to charge with the slower charger versus the XTAR VC2? 

This would be part of their Christmas presents, so I would love to save on the additional cost of the Li-ion set-up to be able to put a few more things under the tree for them.  But at the same time, I don't want to purchase the sabers with the standard set-up, only to have them disappointed by the result.  Any advice that you can provide would be appreciated. 

Thank you for your time.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »

Welcome. I'm hoping someone with a little (or lot) more experience and knowledge will drop in, but I'll see what I can do.

Personally, I would say yes. Spend the extra on the Li-Ion batteries (and buckpuck too). How noticeable the brightness difference is, I'm not sure, but I know there is one. However, neither will be disappointing on brightness. There is a reason they boast "The Brightest Blades". I haven't really noticed any flickering, but that could easily just be my saber. As the batteries lose their charge, the brightness does diminish. I'm pretty sure it is less so with Li-Ions, and I know the buckpucks help keep them steady. On which one lasts longer, I'm not sure. I have never actually tested it. Same with the battery charging. From what I can tell, it takes somewhere between 4 and 5 hours to fully charge a Li-Ion with the XTAR (though I'm not sure on that either), and slightly longer, maybe 5-6 with the regular charger. I have both, and have had no problems with either. There are some nice features about the XTAR, but they are not necessary.

So again, I'd say get the Lithium. But if you are really wanting to cut costs, there is nothing wrong with the regular AAAs. But like I said, you wont be disappointed. Hope this helps.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »

The brightness difference is there, but is it a deal breaker for standard batteries? No. Until they start to die.

It's not a higher voltage provided, it's a CONSTANT voltage provided. Which means the bonus of lithiums WITH A BUCK PUCK - the saber will remain AS BRIGHT AS IT CAN until it can no longer stay on and then it will switch off. The buck puck will keep power constant until it switches off, which means it stays bright. Lithiums with a resistor and alkalines will dim as they discharge, then maybe filcker, then turn off. If brightness is a concern get buck pucks.

Added bonus of buck pucks - if you have a MIXED color - Arctic blue, violet amethyst, sentinel yellow etc - it will remain that color until it switches off. Lithiums with a resistor and alkalines will change color of mixed color sabers as they discharge.

How long does the VC2 take to fully charge the batteries? For me, less than an hour. If you use an adapter rated less than 2.1A output, it will take longer. I use one rated at 2.6A.
How long for the other charger? For me, just over an hour.

Is it worth lithium batteries? Well, yeah. You're going to spend that money on alkalines anyway. And once you have a charger (or a couple), you don't need to keep buying them for future sabers. So I would suggest getting two sabers with VC2 chargers, and a standard one for the other saber. Then unless you break a charger you don't need to buy another one.

What one lasts longer? Alkalines - but that lifespan comes at the expense of dimming and color fading because every last ounce of power is being slowly sucked out of the batteries instead of a buck puck regulating the power and stopping the batteries somewhere around 11% (usually on mine anyway) when they can no longer power the led at the correct brightness.

10% off all sabers at the moment is the perfect time to add upgrades, so I would suggest you go for the extras now and not regret it later.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »

Isola nailed it.  The BuckPuck is really the key, as it "smooths" the energy flow, keeping it constant.  Otherwise any mixed colors will fade and change color on you.  This is really obvious with Violet Amethyst (which turns red) and anything with blue-green combos, which turn green as the batteries fade.

One thing in the favor of the normal batteries, though: its a lot easier to get spares, which is nice, and if they're going to be sitting around a lot it can be nice to just be able to slap some fresh AAAs in there when you want to play with them.  Li-Ions need to be in the charger when you're not using the saber, and sometimes getting them out can be a hassle.  But a very minor one.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

HannandChewie
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 4

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:50:26 PM »

I have 2 sabers with the lithium-ion set up and my girlfriend has a stunt saber with standard AAA set up, and from my experience I'll tell you it's so nice to have the rechargeable set up for a couple reasons. First you'll spend that money on batteries anyway so it's really less cost effective in the end, and second you don't have to make that unfortunate trip to the corner store really quick because you ran out or forgot to get batteries. You will pay a couple extra bucks now but it will save you in the end, and considering it is a Christmas present for your kids I'm sure they will get some good use out of them. Hope this helped and welcome!

"The force shall set me free."
-Bellicose w/ v3 obsidian sound and emerald driver
-Dark Prophecy v3 w/ v4 obsidian sound in Tri-Blazing Red

MavRick
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 600

May the force be with you! (give light side )

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:44:27 AM »

I agree with what Isola and Karmak have said, I prefer the li-Ions.
But I will add that I have AAA battery setups in several of my sabers with single color leds ( red,blue,green,orange) that I have bought rechargeable AAA battery's for and they work fine. Energizer, Duracell and Rayovac are the ones I have.
 Just do not buy super cheap regular aaa battery's cuz the won't work right in the sabers.
None of my stunt sabers (no sound) have a flickering issue with either battery setup.
I believe the flickering that they are referring to is only with the Obs lite sound setups with standard AAA battery's which is normal for that setup and is only a slight flicker, as I also have a saber with this setup. Hope this info helps.

Sabers I own:                                           
 Graflex Tri-cree AB w/sd & bronze buttons
 Consular CG w/sd an silver foc
 Archon CG w/sd an silver foc
 Prophecy CG w/sd an silver foc
 Dorinian SRD w/lite sd and AB foc
 Guardian in GB
 Aeon V3 in GB
 Dark Standard Issue BR w/vert grooves
 Dark Apprentice AB (Freebee!)
 Sentinel LE V4 w/windows in SY
 Dark Sentinel LE V5 in AB (raffle prize)
 Initiate LE V4 in GB
 Franken saber in VA
Wish list: Dark Prophecy BR w/sd, dark cat pommel; Azure Enigma AB; Exile CG w/sd; Dominix LE V2 in BR gift for a friend

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 05:14:32 PM »

Personally I recommend getting the standard setup and saving the money for other things. I have several stunt sabers and with the AAA batteries and I used rechargeable Energizers that give them good run times with full brightness. For you it might make a more significant difference but based on my daughter's responses the kids won't notice the difference as much as the will additional packages.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 03:10:30 AM »

I'm looking at buying several stunt sabers here in the near future to use for my martial arts classes.  You can get Energizer rechargeable AAAs for $12 per 4-pack, or you can get a generic brand for about $1 per battery.  There's one deal on Amazon I see that comes with 16-batteries and a slow 8-battery charger for $22. 

Personally, I either go real expensive or real cheap.  If my saber has sound, it's a diamond saber with a recharge port.  If my saber does not have sound, it's a stunt saber with no electronic options chosen (i.e. I might choose a more expensive color or get a window, but I'm not upgrading the batteries). 

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 05:12:22 AM »

I like rechargeable AAA's because I have lots of them and it only takes a couple hours to fully charge.  Also I actually like the color change of the saber when the battery is very low.  My DVA stunt can do VA, HP, BH, and BR which I think is great for a stunt even if the colors only last a minute or so.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: