Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Help choosing blade length.  (Read 3073 times)
Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -1

« on: October 18, 2017, 09:47:18 PM »

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on buying my first Saber from Ultrasabers and the Aeon looks like the one for me. I have all the options sorted out except for the blade size. I am completely stumped trying to figure out what size would be good for me. If the need be I can provide further details about my height etc.

*Sorry if this seems like a bit of a stupid question.*

That1GrayJedi
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 68

Light Side Points Please

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on buying my first Saber from Ultrasabers and the Aeon looks like the one for me. I have all the options sorted out except for the blade size. I am completely stumped trying to figure out what size would be good for me. If the need be I can provide further details about my height etc.

What is your height? What do you plan on using the saber for mainly?

I have studied you, and found nothing but weakness.

Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:53 PM »

I am roughly 180 cm and plan to use the Saber for stunts mainly (spinning etc.).

That1GrayJedi
Knight Ensign

Light Side Points Please

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:02:52 PM »

I am roughly 180 cm and plan to use the Saber for stunts mainly (spinning etc.).

Standard 36 inch Blade would work well for you, the length will compliment your height and help offset the hilt weight for spinning.

Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:12:11 PM »

Ok thank you for this. I'll go for the 36 inch blade then.

That1GrayJedi
Knight Ensign

Light Side Points Please

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »

Ok thank you for this. I'll go for the 36 inch blade then.

If you are still unsure there is a thread about Hilt length, find it. Find the length of the hilt you want and add about 34-34.5 inches to it (for a 36 inch blade) and then find a piece of pvc or something at a local hardware store and see how you like the length that way.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »

Yes, the 36" should be good. A lot of people use 32s for spinning, (me included), but with the Aeon (or Dominix in my case) I prefer the 36.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »

I just cut out a 48 inch (36 for the blade and 12 for the hilt) piece of wood and it felt way too big too spin. I then cut the length down to match a 32 inch blade. This too felt much too big, not as noticeably bad as a 36 inch blade but it felt uncomfortable to spin. Finally I decided to try out a 24 inch blade length, which didn't feel long, in fact it actually felt too short.

What do you guys think i should do? Change hilt? Go for the longer or shorter blade?
*PS Roughly how much do the sabers way (Without a heavygrade blade)?*

Force Metal
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 89

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:02:27 AM »

I'm 180cm & prefer the 32,, I'd suggest that & if needs be you can cut a couple of inches off. I used a pipe cutter on a 36 down to 32, it took a while but was a neat finish, then carefully cut the film with scissors. If you go Ultraedge, you don't need to worry about a film.

Can I tempt you, come with me
Be 'devil may care', fulfill your dream
If I said I'd take you there
Would you go, would you be scared

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »

I just cut out a 48 inch (36 for the blade and 12 for the hilt) piece of wood and it felt way too big too spin. I then cut the length down to match a 32 inch blade. This too felt much too big, not as noticeably bad as a 36 inch blade but it felt uncomfortable to spin. Finally I decided to try out a 24 inch blade length, which didn't feel long, in fact it actually felt too short.

What do you guys think i should do? Change hilt? Go for the longer or shorter blade?
*PS Roughly how much do the sabers way (Without a heavygrade blade)?*

You'll find some hilts have the blade go in deep enough that what you actually wind up with is 12" hilt with only 30" of blade sticking out (from a 32" blade). Try again at 30" bladelength and see if that works for you. You may just have to adapt to the length when you actually get the saber in your hand. The other option is buy a couple different blades of different lengths and step your way up to a 32". Start with a 16, learn the basics, then move to a 24, then to a 32. Practice is way more important that an "exact" length. I've noticed I can spin my 36" and 40" blades more easily now that I have used 32s for so long.

Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »

You'll find some hilts have the blade go in deep enough that what you actually wind up with is 12" hilt with only 30" of blade sticking out (from a 32" blade). Try again at 30" bladelength and see if that works for you. You may just have to adapt to the length when you actually get the saber in your hand. The other option is buy a couple different blades of different lengths and step your way up to a 32". Start with a 16, learn the basics, then move to a 24, then to a 32. Practice is way more important that an "exact" length. I've noticed I can spin my 36" and 40" blades more easily now that I have used 32s for so long.

This sounds like a good idea to me, but i'm just wondering if buying the blades in the Parts page is the only way to obtain another blade size? These blades just seem irregularly expensive, $20+ for a single blade seems a bit expensive to me?

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »

This sounds like a good idea to me, but i'm just wondering if buying the blades in the Parts page is the only way to obtain another blade size? These blades just seem irregularly expensive, $20+ for a single blade seems a bit expensive to me?

The blades prices are comparable across the manufacturers for basic blades. Some of the other companies out there can charge as much as $90 (USD) for just one blade. You can make your own with blade supplies from The Custom Saber Shop if you know what you are doing. But you really won't save that much in the long run.

It's an expensive hobby. Better someone tell you that now and save you the heartache. I've only been in the hobby for 10 months and have spent nearly $10,000 (Australian). All I can suggest is buckle up and be prepared  Cheesy Grin

Bluelightsaber
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 51

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

Hey everyone,

I love 36" it's almost as long as the movie blades but in certain pictures it looks 4 feet long just like how it did sometimes (and sometimes didn't) in the movies. I'm short for a guy and I have absolutely no problems with it. I was always annoyed how short the toy lightsabers were.

Darth_Doge
Knight Aspirant

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »

I love 36" it's almost as long as the movie blades but in certain pictures it looks 4 feet long just like how it did sometimes (and sometimes didn't) in the movies. I'm short for a guy and I have absolutely no problems with it. I was always annoyed how short the toy lightsabers were.
And you don't have any problems spinning it? I feel like if I get my saber too long it will touch the ground when i'm using it.

Bluelightsaber
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 51

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »

And you don't have any problems spinning it? I feel like if I get my saber too long it will touch the ground when i'm using it.

Nope.. not that I got it to do any kind of spinning or anything but no problem at all. Hilt is 12.25" long too. And I'm shorter than you.

TBH, when I was researching topics about this from all sorts of forums and YouTube videos, it seemed almost like people were all getting 32" blades because of a bandwagon effect. Not that I don't see why people would want a shorter blade, everyone has preferences, but I think part of it was surely a bandwagon effect. I will still get a 32" and/or 24" in the future just to have fun but to me I've always wanted the longest lightsaber possible to be like the movies. A couple inches go into the hilt too.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: