Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Question about the Catalyst...  (Read 4094 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: October 24, 2017, 11:07:03 PM »

Hey guys!  Its been a good while since I looked at a saber, and I have to admit the Dark Catalyst is growing on me.  I really like the look of that hilt and I have a couple of simple mods in mind that would make it pop nicely.

To that end, I have a question: I have a recollection of some discussion at some time about the blade not being as secure as one might like?  Anyone who has handled one of these, can you offer up testimony on whether the blade (planning a full 36" but might go with a 32") can be an issue?

Thanks for the comments guys!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Rogueonejedi
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 15

Focus your mind on the living force.

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »

I've heard the same, but it is easily remedied by having additional set screws added for $10 per set screw. You just request it in the order comments and pay for them with requisition charges. It'd be a good idea to forward your order confirmation to info@ultrasabers.com with a note to ask customer service that to facilitate that request.

Here is the post from the member that first suggested and did it:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=33418.0

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:03:01 AM »

You have to ask Customer Service to make sure but I remember reading that you could, for an extra req charge, have them put another set screw in the emitter. That should help the blade from moving.

EDIT:  Rogueonejedi just said everything I did.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 03:29:50 AM »

For myself, I went with a 32" blade on my own Dark Catalyst.
I also added a small extension between the grip and the pommel to break up the lines a little

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:34:18 AM »

LOL thanks guys.

Just had another thought:  I have an 8/32 drill and tap...  I can add a couple of extra set screws myself...  :-)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:49:48 AM »

Yes you can add the extra holes yourself and TCSS has the screws. Mine also has a 32 inch blade.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dano
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 26

Light side points please!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »

My catalyst is hands down my favorite saber. I can say definitively that the blade does feel less secure than in any of my other sabers. That being said, in order to get into the last raffle, I went ahead and sent it back in to have an emerald driver installed and had them put in extra screws so that there is one in each "prong". Admittedly It still feels a little shaky just because of how shallow the blade sits in the emitter, but it sure as heck isn't going anywhere haha. If that is your only qualm in if you should get a dark catalyst or not, you should definitely go for it. Its an amazing hilt.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:44 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys!  I am crunching numbers now, but I suspect this will be my raffle entry...  :-) 

Dano
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »

Thanks for the responses guys!  I am crunching numbers now, but I suspect this will be my raffle entry...  :-) 

That's great to hear! Can't wait to hear about/see what setup you end up getting with it!

StarWarsForce
Knight Major

Force Alignment: -106

Light or Dark Points? You choose!

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »

How many set screws would you recommend I get with the Catalyst--1 (what comes standard with the hilt), 2 (one on each side), or 4 (one on each prong)?

I currently have an Initiate v4 LE (blade socket depth: 2") and am planning on getting a Catalyst (blade socket depth: 1.75"). I'm not bothered by the low blade socket depth of the initiate, but am not sure how different it will be.

Thanks!

Sabers I own (in order of how I got them):
Dominix LE V4--AS--Stunt
Consular--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Manticore CE--Emerald RGBW--V4 Sound
Crimson Reaper--Tri AS--V4 Sound (Free Premium GB)
Dark War Glaive Body/Crimson Reaper Emitter/Crimson Mantis Pommel Mix--BR--Stunt (Free Premium GB)
Dark Prophecy V3--DVA--V4 Sound
Initiate LE V4--CG--Lite Sound (2nd Summer Raffle Win, 4th Prize, 2016)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »

That's great to hear! Can't wait to hear about/see what setup you end up getting with it!
Haven't actually ordered it yet, but...  I started looking at this hilt and decided to fill two holes in my collection at once: Catalyst and saber staff...

So, here's the plan:
Hilt 1: Dk Catalyst, Obs Lite, Tri-AS, no flash, 32" mid-grade blade, blue illuminated black AV switch, silver covertec.
Hilt 2: Dk Catalyst, Stunt, Tri-AS, 32" mid-grade blade, black latching AV switch, no covertec.
Coupler: Black quick-release vented coupler.

May add a couple of other odds-and-ends, depends on how lose to one of the "offer" tiers I get with this...  :-)

Oh, and once they're here, I'm going to reinforce the set screws and filter the white lights to yellow with my handy-dandy Lee swatchbook...  So the end color will be Sentinel Yellow.  :-)  For now anyway...

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 02:33:39 AM »

Should make for an excellent staff there

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »

Will definitely make a cool staff for sure. Hardly see any silver bladed staves, at least I haven't much of anyway. Post pictures when you get it =]

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 04:33:35 PM »

Will definitely make a cool staff for sure. Hardly see any silver bladed staves, at least I haven't much of anyway. Post pictures when you get it =]

You bet!  I'll get some pics silver and then after I filter them to SY.  :-)

Dano
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 02:52:57 PM »

How many set screws would you recommend I get with the Catalyst--1 (what comes standard with the hilt), 2 (one on each side), or 4 (one on each prong)?

I currently have an Initiate v4 LE (blade socket depth: 2") and am planning on getting a Catalyst (blade socket depth: 1.75"). I'm not bothered by the low blade socket depth of the initiate, but am not sure how different it will be.

Thanks!

It honestly comes down to personal preference, kind of like what you were saying with your Initiate. I would say if you are at all worried about it, get 2 (one on each side (even though the circular way the machining is, there really isn't a perfect "side", which you'll see what I mean when you get it)) 2 should definitely be enough. The 4 I put in was definitely over kill, but I thought aesthetically it looked nice.

Karmack: That is going to be an amazing looking staff!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: