Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 144806 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« on: October 29, 2017, 05:48:07 AM »

I wanted to give a great "Thank you" to everyone who supported my writing in "Tarnished Knight" but special note to Karmack, Lord_S_Gray, and Teagin Roan: thank you, one and all, for your great, introspective comments!

So, I figure that while in-between the larger, over-arching stories, I'd put up any vignettes, one-offs, and general interludes here in this thread.  I would also welcome any other submissions from my fellow writers; and if they are within the continuity of our little forum SW Universe, so much the better!  Just fair word of warning: if any writer wants to include proprietary information, please PM the original author and get permission (that is what Karm, TR, and I have done as both courtesy and to accommodate any legal ramifications  Wink)!

And, finally, special thanks to UltraSabers for this forum and all of the members who make it possible  Smiley

*****************************************************************************************************************
Interlude-
"Obstinance"

I somersaulted over the blade as it arced towards my waist.  Landing squarely, I brought my lightsaber around, intercepting my opponent’s.  Good, precise; but I was already in motion.  Going faster still, my blue blade whirled through the air, deflecting, searching, attacking.  My opponent’s defense was impenetrable.  Each time I thought I was close, my opponent switched to a new tactic.  Time to think outside the box.  Using the Force, I braced the muscles in my legs, core, and chest.  Drawing from the planet, the primordial forces…pulsed.  I could feel the pure, raw, potent POWER.  THIS was the Force.  Concentrating, I…amassed the energy that I’d drawn.  Simultaneously, I kept my blade in motion, a whirlwind of blue; but not to attack, to distract.  Feeling the accrual of power, I focused the energy, creating Force Kinetite.  A sudden booming in the air occurred as the Kinetite sped towards my opponent, producing a small void in front of me.  But with the loud report also came a turbulent wind; I’d forgotten D’Aylanna’s teachings: nature abhors a vacuum.  My body had been reinforced by the Force but I’d done nothing to keep my eyes clear.  Dust from the rushing wind threatened to blind me and I was forced to retreat.  And, without being able to see, the Kinetite dissipated uselessly after overshooting my target.

While I was momentarily blinded, my opponent seized and pressed advantage.  My lightsaber blocked my opponent’s blade time after time.  But even as I defended, I was losing ground.  Blocking high, I saw—too late—that I’d left an opening in my defenses for my opponent to exploit.  Sure enough, my opponent’s blade arced low, too low and too fast for my lightsaber to intercept.  Expecting the blow I knew to be coming, I tried a desperation attack.  Using the Force to speed my muscles, I quickly pivoted my body around.  I moved quicker than I’d ever had.  At the same time, I stabbed my lightsaber behind me, under my left arm hitting…nothing.  A split-second later, my opponent’s blade struck me…right at the base of my shoulders.  I fell to my knees.

“That was…unorthodox.”  The soft, lilting voice behind me sounded impressed, if incredulous.  Coming around into my line of vision, my opponent’s short, lithe frame briefly blocked the failing sunlight falling upon us.  “It was a good effort…right up to the point when you died.”  Closing down the practice saber, the small woman went to hand it to me.  “Loser recalibrates the crystal.”  The smile that crossed her dark blue lips lit up her olive complexion as her dark eyes looked upon me with equal measure of love and humor.

“Again.”  Ignoring the outstretched saber hilt, I got to my feet, somewhat awkwardly.  Even after a month, I wanted to use my dominant hand to help push off the ground.  Damn.  Before I could stop myself, I felt tears well up in my eyes.  Sensing my anguish, D’Aylanna stood in front and wrapped her arms around, gently comforting me.  Leaning her face upon my chest, my wife’s head barely came to my neck.  Yet, right now, it was her comforting presence that made me feel enclosed in safety.

“Shh, Dear One.  I know, I know. Shhh, my Shakal.” Her soothing voice helped to alleviate my grief, but did not dismiss it.  The pain of G’av’s death was still fresh in my mind.  It would not go away.  But…it would…change, and me with it.  D’Aylanna’s consoling tone was a balm, as were her words.  Huh; “Shakal.”  In Hapan, it meant “worthy” or “one whose worth has been proven.”  As I said, the Hapan language was…idiosyncratic.  And I felt anything but “worthy.”  Regardless, I loved her for it.

“Thank you.  I’m OK.  Thank you, Ereneda.” I told my wife.  Ereneda; it meant “she who has no equal,” although it was usually reserved solely for the Queen Mother.  But as far as I was concerned, D’Aylanna was absolutely without equal.  Smiling, I gently looked down at my wife, her dark eyes shining.  “Again.”

Her blue lips pursed.  “No.” She said gently, but firmly.  “No, Shakal.  You’ve been pushing yourself too hard.  You require more rest.  You will get more rest.  Now.”

I almost laughed, despite my mood.  D’Aylanna was determined but not imperious.  And I knew that she was right.  But I wanted—no, NEEDED—to improve; my defeat at Gaetana’s hands had proven that.  Closing my eyes, I thought that if I’d have been better, I could have saved G’av.  And it had proven something else: I was afraid.  And not just about Gaetana, although that was in my mind.  I was afraid about losing D’Aylanna.  And, deep down, I was afraid of what else Gaetana had told me.  I had to be honest with myself…but even now I was afraid to utter the name that the High Inquisitor had said, told to me in a voice that had betrayed her own fear.

Darth Rowahn.

Calming breaths helped soothe as did my wife’s gentle rubbing along my back and arm.  She was mindful of my right arm where it ended in a stump.  Shaking he head, she spoke: “You should get the cybernetic attached already.” Always the same sentence; always the same intonation of concern and admonition.  By the Maker, I loved her.

“No Ereneda, not yet.  I’ve more training to do.” I told her softly.

Silently, she nodded.  Then, looking at the lone person whom we had as an audience, D’Aylanna said, “Teidowan, that is how one defends against an opponent using Juyo.  Except that last part; that was just…a Gungan’s attempt at a joke-attack.  I think.”

Light laughter filled the air.  Jumping up off her knees, Jorya joined the two of us as we walked.  “Yes, Maenowan D’Aylanna.”  She looked at me.  “Master that was…instructional.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Jedi do that.  Where did you learn it?”  Even without looking at her, I knew that Jorya was still grinning.  It was infectious.

Chuckling, I shook my head good-naturedly.  “That, my apprentice, was the refuge of a desperate man.”  I became momentarily serious.  “Although, occasionally it can work, even on a superior opponent.”  But then I smiled again.  “Just don’t expect it to.”

And as we walked from the Training Ground, we continued talking, laughing, and—when needed—consoling.  But two thoughts continued to dominate my thoughts despite my efforts: I had to get better.  My body continued to heal, thanks to the bacta treatments and the GraySingers.  My skills continued to improve, if slowly.

But it still wasn’t enough, not fast enough.  And that had to do with the second thought going through my head.

Darth Rowahn.

Something in Gaetana’s tone, something that she’d inferred…but nothing to elicit anything exact.  Even in the midst of my Force Meditations, I couldn’t glean any elucidation.  The most disconcerting element came to me in a muddled plethora of images that I could not even call a “vision:” a tall, slender, foreboding figure in black, face covered in a black mask.  He spoke but I did not hear the words.  He motioned but I could not make out the intent.  Then he ignited his lightsaber, the red blade casting a blood-red glow over everything.  Again, he spoke, but I could hear nothing.

I had told D’Aylanna about it; she was a master of Force Precognition.  But even she could not cast any illumination over it.  But, she never once stopped trying.

And so: neither would I.  Not until I was better.  Not until I knew that I could protect those that I loved.  I would not let what happened to G’av happen to D’Aylanna.

We went to sleep early that night and awoke early the following morning.  And would continue to do so.  I would make myself “worthy;” in deed as well as thought.

For my “Ereneda” I would be “shakal.”

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »

Thanks for making this thread. It is a great idea, and I may contribute sometime. Right now I have nothing to contribute, but maybe someday I will.

Also loved that interlude. Wonderfully written, and like I said before, training scenes are some of my favorite because of the character growth they provide. And then there was that little Easter egg. Roll Eyes

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

Oh, Interludes!  I like it!  :-)

Nice beginning.  Gives us a sense of where Teagan is and where he's going.  I like it.  It feels like...

...like a Marvel end-credits scene.  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »

Thanks for making this thread. It is a great idea, and I may contribute sometime. Right now I have nothing to contribute, but maybe someday I will.

Also loved that interlude. Wonderfully written, and like I said before, training scenes are some of my favorite because of the character growth they provide. And then there was that little Easter egg. Roll Eyes
Oh, Interludes!  I like it!  :-)

Nice beginning.  Gives us a sense of where Teagan is and where he's going.  I like it.  It feels like...

...like a Marvel end-credits scene.  ;-)
Thank you my friends!  Like you TR, I enjoy the training scenes myself...and seeing as to how you and Karm had already done an excellent example (each), I had to catch up!

And, admittedly, my thought with Interludes was to have an easter egg per entry (at least for me  Wink).  You guys have written such vibrant characters that it is almost a shame to NOT include them!  Well, as long as it's organic to the narrative  Cheesy.

Yes, Karm, excellent analog: it is like the stinger in the credits  Smiley

And don't worry if you guys are too busy with your main storylines; I'm eager to read those even more so  Wink

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:21 PM »

I will probably have one when I finish my story, but it is not yet time for me to write. It would give far too much away if I did it now.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »

Interludes are a lot of fun, gives you a chance to expand on something that you like about you're story, but doesn't quite fit in the main narrative. This is almost like a bridging arc between a Tarnished Night and the Sequel I hope is coming!  Thanks for this, given me a few ideas for some chapters to 'bridge a gap'.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »

I will probably have one when I finish my story, but it is not yet time for me to write. It would give far too much away if I did it now.
Perfect buddy! Like I said: at your leisure  Cheesy

Interludes are a lot of fun, gives you a chance to expand on something that you like about you're story, but doesn't quite fit in the main narrative. This is almost like a bridging arc between a Tarnished Night and the Sequel I hope is coming!  Thanks for this, given me a few ideas for some chapters to 'bridge a gap'.
My thoughts exactly LSG!  And I would be honored to see your "bridging stories" here  Cheesy

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »

Interlude-
A Call From An Old Friend

“I, Kage Oyuna Chan’dn, confer upon you the title and station of Gray Knight.  Rise, Knight Jorya Fah.  Arbiter, please inscribe into the Book of Balance Knight Fah’s advancement.”

The assembled Gray Jedi let out a collective cheer, even if it was contrary to protocol.  But we had a very good reason to celebrate, and not just because of Jorya’s promotion to Knighthood.

The Rebel Alliance had been successful in destroying the second Death Star.  If that were not enough, I’d also heard rumors that both Vader AND Palpatine had perished along with the battlestation.  I’d not had this good of news in years.

A sharp elbow dug into my right side, interrupting my ruminations.  Looking down, I saw my wife’s dark eyes staring at me, a look of chagrin on her face.  Blinking, I focused on the here and now.  Stepping forward, I walked over to where Jorya knelt.  Smiling down at her, I removed the ceremonial Gray Robes and in turn draped them over her shoulders.  Despite the solemnity, some soft laughter sounded in the dome.  My Gray Robes had been tailored to fit me.  Unfortunately, Jorya was several centimeters shorter; moreover, I outweighed her by almost 80 kilograms.  As such, she was practically swimming in the garment.  

A smile still on my face, I stood behind her.  “Arbiter.  Council members.  My fellow Gray Jedi.  I am honored to report that Jorya Fah has successfully completed the Trial of the Dragon Cave.  Now let her assume the mantle of Gray Jedi Knight of the Vhal’Dan Order.  I, Maenowan Zearic Vih-Torr, stand as custodian.”

As one, the assemblage recited the Gray Jedi Code:
“Flowing through all, there is balance
There is no peace without passion to create
There is no passion without peace to guide
Knowledge stagnates without the strength to act
Power blinds without the serenity to see
There is freedom in life
There is purpose in death
The Force is all things and I am the Force”

Jorya stood, face full of pride.  And, again against decorum, she threw her arms up around my neck, embracing me.  Reciprocating, I hugged her tightly, enveloping her slender frame.  Once more cheering sounded in the Dome.

As the ceremony ended, the Kage left hurriedly while the assemblage began to disperse.  Eyeing D’Aylanna, I made my way through the gathered Gray Jedi, leaving Jorya as she thanked the line of people forming to congratulate her.

Even before I reached her, I could tell that D’Aylanna was preoccupied.  “Something wrong, Ereneda?”  Before she could answer, I pulled her tightly to me, my arms completely encircling her.  Trying to add levity, I added, “I know, I know.  It’s not every day that our daughter passes her Gray Trials.”  Looking down, I saw D’Aylanna’s grin.

“True, husband mine.  But I’m needed in the Kage’s Chambers.  Please give Jorya my love as well, Shakal.  Her blue lips briefly touched my cheek and she went about her errand.

Sighing, I turned my head back towards Jorya.  Just watching her work the crowd, she commanded the room.  Smiling fondly, I thought back to the first time I’d seen her in the Hall of Balance.  Young but full of vitality, despite her ordeals.   She’d matured into a strong, beautiful young woman.  And an incredible Gray Jedi; certainly much better than I was at her age, when I’d been so obstinate and overconfident.  My smile faltered some.  G’av.  It was because of him that I was here now.  Without him, I would never have had…THIS.  Becoming bittersweet, my smile returned as I continued to think of my friend.

“Master?” Jorya’s tentative voice came from behind me.  “Are you OK?”

Turning, I looked down into her blue eyes.  “Yes, Dear One.  Just thinking of how your Uncle G’av would have been so proud of you at this moment.  The Maker knows that I am.”  Taking the Togruta’s hands in both of mine, I laughed.  “Did I ever tell you about the time that G’av mistook an Amorphiian delegate for a janitor…?”

<<<< >>>>

As Oyuna Chan’dn slid into the seat, the holographic comm unit was pinging, indicative of an awaiting communiqué in progress.  Keying in her IdentCode, she then turned towards the disembodied head that projected into view.  It belonged to that of an elderly man who, despite his seeming frailty, had an astute countenance and gleam in his clear eyes.

“Hello, lass.” His gravelly, deep voice was genial, familiar…and with an undercurrent of urgency.

<<<< >>>>

By the time that we headed to our quarters, Jorya and I'd had much to drink.  Too much, truth be told.  But Jorya’s knighting, coupled with the news of the Empire’s defeat at Endor, called for something more than temperance.  

And throughout the night, we had expected for D’Aylanna to join us.  But, hour after hour passed without my wife in attendance.  So it was that, entering our home, we were both surprised to see D’Aylanna already there.  Sensing her mood, we both sobered quickly.

“What is it, Ereneda?”  D’Aylanna was sitting down, looking pensive.  Jorya sat beside my wife, also anxious.

Shakal.  Jorya.  I’ve been with the Kage.  She was contacted by…an old friend.  But I must needs tell you en route.”  Even before the last sentence was from her lips, she moved into our private rooms, in order to pack, if I had to guess.  Glancing at Jorya, I saw that she’d fallen asleep on the couch.  I let her rest; she deserved it.

Moving to our rooms, I saw D’Aylanna busying herself.  “Ereneda?  What’s going on?”

Without looking at me, D’Aylanna still sounded distracted, “As I said: I’ll tell you en route.”

I started helping her.  “OK, can you at least tell me where we’re headed?”

This time, she stopped; her dark eyes stared directly into my hazel ones and spoke a single word.  I felt a sense of disquiet.  But I wondered if it was from my anticipation or from my trepidation.  I knew that I had to wake Jorya immediately.

Approaching the couch, I began to gently shake the young Togruta.  “Jorya, Dear One.  You need to prepare.  We’re heading off-world.”

Still groggy from sleep, she rubbed at her eyes.  “Wha…Master?  Oh…OK.  Whe…where?”

“M’Tzigon.”

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »

Like Karmack noted above, this acts like a post credits scene in Marvel, in a main narrative this kind of chapter would be a little lost as its just set up basically, Jorya has become a knight and a certain other Gray Jedi has put in a call for assistance to the other order...necessary for a story, but not the main event (I know I do plenty of sections like this, they're not that exciting but have to be done).  BUT detached from a broader narrative it is far more impactful as its leaving open story lines that aren't going to be dealt with soon building expectation, again like a post credits scene.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 01:53:10 AM »

M'Tzigon?  Hey!  I know those guys!  ;-)

Nicely done, Dutchman.  :-)

In case anyone hasn't guessed, Dutchman and I have been ... talking.  Should be interesting.

I have one coming, soon.  Promise!  A little peak into Karmack's frame of mind post-Coruscant.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:03 PM »

**  Overwhelmed  **

I stood, totally neutral, blade in middle guard, as the opponents circled.  There were three of them: young, aggressive, eager for the kill.  One in particular caught my attention.  I could almost hear his battle song...

Movement came suddenly.  The attack was coordinated - three strikes, aimed at different places.  Swift, deadly, and nearly impossible to parry.

Nearly.

Almost of its own will my own blade flashed even as my body moved.  My middle guard flashed high, attacking and defeating the high cut from one opponent as I spun away from the second slash and hopped over the low cut of the third.  A hand-spin normally reserved for showy flourishes neatly intersected the low hilt, disabling it and a solid force push finished the opening in the deadly circle.  I tucked and rolled through the opening and away from the pair that were now behind me before they could recover enough to cut at my back.  I barely made it, actually feeling the cut of the humming blade behind me.

The singer.  Fast.  Very fast...

I came up on my feet and augmented my strides, lifting myself in the force, following the flow of my own battle song.  Two fast steps, two steps up the wall, and a hard push off...  Another tuck as I sailed back through the air, arcing overhead ...  There!  NOW!  I reached out, slowing my somersault slightly to slash downward and my blade cut across the cranium of a second opponent.  I twisted and hit the ground harder than I had intended and somewhat under-rotated, balance off, and had to throw myself into a forward roll to catch my momentum and regain my feet.  Undeterred by my acrobatics, my third assailant, the singer, was hot on my heels.  My blade flashed through the Soresu orbit, blocking his attack even as I turned to face him one-on-one.

This one is very good...  I was pressed back by the aggressive and powerful attacks, but I could hear his song now.  He was singing ... and the song was familiar.  I'd seen this pattern of attack before. Time to change the tune...

I sensed the lunge and force attack coming, and instead of resisting it I rode it, using his push to propel myself up and away from him, opening some space.  Instead of being hammered by the energy or sprawling across the floor I landed lightly and without looking called the saber of the second fallen opponent to my left hand.  I ignited it in a reverse "assassin" grip and met the charge of my young opponent head-on, employing the Djem-So form I had spent months practicing with Arnor and Kage Silman.

It worked.  My opponent, committed to the attack, charged into the fray before his song could adjust to the new parameters of combat.  I caught his attack on the back-hand blade while bringing my own primary blade up in a sweeping cut that intersected his wrist.  His saber deactivated and dropped from his lifeless hand as pain flooded his face.  "Ow!"

I held my stance for a moment, then stepped backed, flourished through a salute, and deactivated both blades.  A grin split my face as the battle song ended.  "Ow?  That's all you have to say to your old man after all this?"

Kenneniah worked his still numb and tingling right hand, but he was also grinning now.  "Ow...Dad."

"Hey, at least he didn't kill you!" groaned Olan from the floor.  "Those practice sabers give nasty headaches you know!"

"Oh stop complaining Olan.  You just got hit in the head.  Master Karmack threw me clear across the room!" chimed in Djaris from his resting point.  "You KNOW that's going to leave a mark!"

There were general chuckles around the room of students.  The gallery held the rest ot Kenneniah's class of padawans, a gaggle of students between 14 and 15 in their final months of study before entering the formal roll of Teidowan to a Knight or Master.  Most of them already had close relationships with one or two Knights, many of whom began mentoring a Padawan as early as six or seven years old.  I touselled my son's hair before turning to address the class.  "So, as you can see, its never a good idea to rush into any encounter.  Granted, I have a little more experience than my three opponents..." more chuckles "...but all the same any three-on-one encounter should favor the attackers.  So why did they lose?"

"Lack of coordination!" called one of the students.  "Overconfidence!" called another.

I nodded, then let my voice go flat.  Time to be serious: "I will say this: They attacked aggressively but I did not sense overconfidence, only determination.  When you engage in battle you must be fully committed to it.  Never engage half-heartedly.  Do all you can to avoid the fight, but if a fight is unavoidable do not hold back.  Holding back will only get you or your allies killed."  I leveled my gaze and swept it around the room, driving the point home with each student.  Then I grinned again, letting the mood lighten back up.  "As for a lack of coordination, maybe a bit."  I looked at my three students/opponents, who had come and sat down in front of me.  "Your timing was good on your initial attack, but your strike placements allowed me to counter one while avoiding the others."

Djaris laughed.  "Yes Master.  I certainly did not anticipate being thrown clear across the room!"

I let my face go serious again.  "Why not?"

There was suddenly a profound silence in the room.  Color drained from Djaris' face.  "Um..  Well...  Honestly, Master Karmack, we simply didn't think anyone could survive a planned attack from three opponents.  Not even you, sir."

I sighed and looked at each of them, then around the room.  "You must remember, there are ALWAYS possibilities.  You hear the song.  You sing it in your minds and hearts.  You feel the force, use it as an ally.  The song allows you to anticipate, to see possibilities and openings where others see none.  But always, ALWAYS remember that those possibilities exist!  Don't limit yourself to what you see.  What you can touch."  I held up my saber.  "This weapon is valuable and can save your life, but it is NOT everything.  Even disarmed you can prevail."

I saw the flicker of disbelief in Kenneniah's eyes and felt it shudder through the class like a wave.  "But sir, how?  You defeated us with your blade!"

I sighed.  "Just my blade?"  I tossed my saber across the room, to one of the other padawans.  "Very well.  Again."

"Sir?"  I sensed confusion now.  I waved the trio to their feet.

"Again.  Surely you're not afraid of an unarmed man?"  My voice was light, but my eyes were serious.  This was important.  They need to understand...

Kenneniah, Olan and Djaris rose and spread out.   Olan reset his hilt's power supply and the three boys made eye contact as they circled, communicating.  Following Ken's lead again...  Good...

I returned to my neutral position, standing still, arms at my side.  I listened, and heard Ken's battle song beginning.  And ... now.

As the three boys activated their sabers, I reached out through the force and ... attenuated the power.  All three boys let out a yelp as their sabers suddenly released a powerful static charge into their hands as the blades formed.  Those yelps became cries of surprise as a powerful energy pulse in the force knocked them all off their feet and sent them skidding across the room in three different directions - only to find their own sabers hovering in the air above them, the points nearly in contact with their own throats.

In the center of the room, I remained immobile.  I held the sabers for a moment, then deactivated them and let the hilts drop onto each boy's chest.  I looked around the room.

"Remember: There are ALWAYS possibilities."

Kage Silman turned away from the observation window and toward his companion.  "So, Doni, do you think he is ready to go out again?"

Doni Chillum, Song Master and Gray Master of the Mak'Tor Order, sighed.  "Yes, he's ready.  I almost wish he weren't." He looked at the Kage.  The eyes were kind, in stark contrast to the evil appearance of his face, with its black and red markings and horns.  He can't help his biology, and Maker knows his heart and mind are both in the right place...  "Do you have to send him out again?"

"You know I do.  You can hear the song better than I can.  For that matter, so can he.  Karmack's been chaffing at his inaction, but deep down I think he also new that without this time of rest and healing any actions he took would lead only to disaster.  But now the songs are converging again, and the time has come.  We must free them ... or die."

Chillum nodded and bowed his head.  "I know.  I know."  He looked back at his protege and the students he loved to train.  "Its just that last part ... worries me."  He sighed again and looked back at his Kage.  "Ok, its time.   But we'll need help.  I ... need to make a call.  With your permission?"

Kage Silman nodded. 

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »

OUT-

-STANDING!

I really enjoy the training scenarios, but THIS one was made that MUCH better by the inclusion of Karm's son along with his padawan class.  The action is kinetic; I can feel the power emanating from Karm and the purpose of conviction radiating from him.  Excellent object lesson: learn to think OUTSIDE the box  Wink

I really like getting to know more about Master Chillum and Kage Silman.  I believe that it was TR who said that Master Chillum was like the tough grandfather who had a sweet streak on the right day  Smiley  Kage Silman's character is an excellent example of dichotomy of nature vs. nurture.  Not to mention that there is something that I find incredibly satisfying about a devilish-looking character (Zabrach) with the soul of a saint  Cheesy

Excellent interlude Karm!  Plus, with the non-linear nature of these Interludes, it really makes things exciting spying the easter eggs  Grin

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 03:27:53 AM »

Am I sensing a Zearic/Karmack adventure? Shocked Shocked

I certainly hope so.

As to the post itself, it was awesome. I love how Karmack is completely calm, and is in control of the situation the whole entire time. Never doubting his skill, but also not trusting in the opponents obvious lack thereof. I'm really loving Chillum and Silman, and really want to learn a bit more about them. I don't feel like I need to repeat my normal "I love training scenes because of character growth" thing, because TD already said it. Not to mention that you all know it already. Great job.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »

Interlude-
Dark Pheonix

The small man’s lightsaber hammered against the orange blade time and time again, each time pushing her defenses.  Admittedly, he was quite good.  But she knew that his Ataru was not infallible.  And she was patient.  After all, she’d been a Gray pretender for years. Ah, there, she thought.  Her feints had finally produced the desired result: an opening.  Without hesitation, she scythed her blade upwards, cutting the small man down.  He had been a worthy opponent, certainly more than…her former choice as candidate.

In her mind, the image shifted, blurring before regaining crystal clarity…

“Open your arms wide, Zearic.” Her certainty of his demise was all but a foregone conclusion.  She didn’t even try anything fancy, just an executioner’s swing.  And as he raised his hand, she thought, Even at the end, the man is a fool.  How could I have thought he would be an asset?  But then, astonishment: as soon as her orange blade came into contact with the man’s hand, it deactivated…  Off balance and shocked she fell into his waiting arms.  Crushing her to himself in a lethal parody of a lover’s embrace, she heard him whisper, “Open your arms wide.” She heard the screeching clamor of metal against metal.  With only a second, she reacted: a Force Shield behind her.  But she wasn’t quick enough: pain, excruciating pain, agony that she never even KNEW existed; it was her entire existence.  She only knew she must…escape, move, LIVE.

Again, the image shifted, refocusing slowly, inexorably…

She’d dragged herself to the med-pod, knowing that its beacon would summon…someone.  Her legs…wouldn’t work; her left arm bent the wrong way.  She must use the Force.  Up.  More pain.  Darkness, not unlike the Emperor’s wrath, a stomach-cringing fear that threatened to swallow her whole.  But it also acted as an impetus to continue…to LIVE.  But then, the fear was…not replaced, but PUSHED back by…an anger, no RAGE, FURY, WRATH.  HE did this to me.  Again, darkness.  Preferable; with awareness came pain, excruciating pain, agony that she never even KNEW exis—

Her eyes opened.  As soon as she did, a wave of vertigo hit her as substantial as a physical blow.  Something was wrong with her eyes.  Cautious, she slowly opened first her right eye and then her left.  Her right eye was fine, if watery.  Her left…!  She saw that her environment was…digitized.

By the Emperor, what has happened to me?!

She slowly turned her head.  Her arms were held wide, attached to sinuous cables that fed into her wrists like a biomechanical umbilical cord.  Trying to get a better vantage, she used her legs to stretch up.  Or rather, she tried.  When she did not move, she slowly looked down at her legs.  As her eyes scanned below her hips she saw…nothing.  More tubes that fed into where her femoral arteries would have been.  But her legs were gone.

She heard a scream, an automated, alien noise that sounded almost mechanical.  Shocked, she wondered who or what had made that noise, only to realize—to her growing horror—it had come from her.

“So.  You’ve finally woken.  Good.”  A baritone voice boomed behind her.  Slowly turning her head, she saw it was her Master.  Walking around her, his cloak an ebony shadow draped upon his broad shoulders, Darth Vader loomed above her head.

“L…lord Vader?  Wh..what has h…happened t..to me?” Again, the mechanized nature of her voice appalled her.  She’d always been fiercely vain about her melodious voice.  Tears began to flow from her right eye; her left dry as it no longer had any tear ducts.

“You failed, Gaetana.”  Pitiless in his pronouncement, the Dark Lord of the Sith stood motionless.  “The Inquisitorious is diminished as a result of your machinations.  Be grateful that I am of a forgiving mood.  You will survive.  It is by my volition that you do so.”  Lord Vader’s hand raised for dramatic effect as he pressed a lever with the Force.  Machinery given life moved, presenting a caricature of birth as limbs were surgically attached to Gaetana’s body.  She learned that there were limits to anesthesia.

But with the pain came clarity.  She WOULD survive.  And Zearic.  She would see him pay.  But not before he learned of suffering; before he KNEW what true suffering was.  By the Emperor he would…

As Darth Vader strode away, Gaetana lost consciousness again.  Had he cared to look back, he would have witnessed the small smile that played upon her face as she did so…

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:53 PM »

Two solid chapters.  Karmack taught them a very valuable lesson there - no one is going to play fair or by any rules you expect in a fight to the death, better they learn from him than from an enemy.

And Dark phoenix....it was really interesting to hear basically a flashback of the fight with Zearic from Gaetana's view point, and the revival reminds me of what happened with Lumiya in the old Marvel comics and EU ,so definitely something I can see Vader doing. 

One thing I noted was you both went with a third person perspective for characters others than your protagonist where you use first person, good to see a bit of a flip, might try first person myself to mix it up.  Having said that I think Gaetana would be a fascinating first person view point.   

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: