Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 144818 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »

Wow, LGS.  All I can say right now is...  I really feel sorry for him.  :-/

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:57 PM »

I'm reminded of a song from the 70s by Wishbone Ash:

"Throw down the sword/the fight is done and over/neither lost, neither won/To cast away the fury of the battle/and turn my weary eyes for home.

THIS Interlude has THAT feeling.  OR the "death poems" of samurai. 

You have a poet's soul LSG  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2017, 07:13:01 AM »

Interlude: Surprises

The landing had been a bit rough, due to the denseness of the forest, but like always, my expert skills as a pilot shine through successfully, and I eventually make a landing. Flying a YT-2400 freighter has its advantages, but sometimes those advantages can be disadvantages. This was one of those times. The size of the ship makes it hard to find landing zones at times. Belassar is a new planet to me. I have never been here before so I don’t know what to expect, though it looks like a cooler planet with lots of snow, as well as dense forests. I know Jord is expecting Rowahn, but he isn’t coming. At least not for a while. I think. Even if he did manage to somehow kill or escape the gorog, it will take him some time to get reoriented. By that time I should be long gone.

“Do you have a lock of Jord’s location?” I shout back to the six others in my crew.

“Yes, her ship is hidden down on the other side of this valley. We should be able to secure it and plant the tracker fairly quickly, and be back before she finds out should you fail to take her down.” One of the men replied.

“Should I fail to take her down? I don’t miss my shots. Now get moving before I miss your heart, and hit your head.” I say, my voice fringed with anger.

Removing my blaster from its holster, I attach the needed pieces to make the changes into sniper configuration, then stalk off the ship. I don’t have an exact location on Jord herself, but she probably is not too far from her ship. With the knowledge of an impending battle, she will want to stay near her means of escape. I could have just destroyed the ship, but if she does indeed prove too powerful, I don’t want to be left here with her when she can easily kill me.

After walking for a few minutes, I found a good position where I could observe the ship, and much around it, even if there were trees scattered around everywhere. Scanning the area through the weapon’s scope, I looked for Jord. I could not see her, so I set my sights on the ship itself, acting as overwatch for the crewmen who were replacing the tracking device. This way I was ready to either shoot Jord when she came back, or one or more of the crew should they be captured. They may have been loyal as long as I was paying them, but they were more loyal to their lives than to money. I wouldn’t have hired them if I did not need the extra manpower should I get boarded by pirates. They were pretty good in a fight, but I wouldn’t trust them with my life. Just them my comlink blinked. I had silenced the beeps, so that I would be harder to detect.

“Tracker is set. Heading back to the ship to await further orders.” Came the voice over the comlink.

I didn’t respond, but the men carefully began heading back. Just then I saw a flicker of movement on the slope above them. Quickly aiming at the area where I had seen it, I waited to see what would happen. A large animal came bounding out, and disappeared into the brush. Just then I heard the sounds of yelling and battle. The animal had distracted me from my men, and Jord had taken advantage of it. Stealing through the woods silently until the men had come upon her, then attacking. Most of them were heading back towards the ship as fast as they could while randomly firing shots off into the forest behind them. However, there were two that were a little farther behind a duros and a human. A stray blaster bolt flew into the duros, and he dropped instantly. The other made it a little farther, but Jord quickly caught up to him. She grabbed him with the Force, and threw him into a tree. Or at least that I what I assume happened. He randomly lifted up and hit a tree, though I hadn’t seen Jord do anything differently. The other men were quite a ways ahead of her now, and I had a fairly clear shot at Jord. Aiming just ahead of her as she ran, I squeezed the trigger and fired. The blast somehow just missed her head. However, this made her take cover, and move from tree to tree.

She had moved a few times before I realized that she was now heading back towards the injured man. She couldn’t reach him in time though. My shot flew true, right through his heart. I again waited for her to come out in the open, but I could no longer see her. I scanned the area, but saw no sign of her. Quickly readjusting my aim back towards her shuttle, I saw the landing ramp begin to close. How did she get there so quickly without my seeing her? I wondered as I watched her lift off. Before I could do anything else, she was headed back out towards space.

He couldn’t do anything now except hope that his men had successfully installed the new tracker. As he was heading back to his ship his comlink lit up.

“Sir, there is an incoming transmission for you.” The man said on the other side.

“Alright, I’ll be there shortly. Heading down the slope, I reached the bodies of the two crewman. The duros was dying, but not dead yet. Picking up his blaster, I shot him through the head. He had failed me, as had the other human. Their equipment was too useful to leave lying around though. Gathering everything the two men had, I headed back to the ship as quickly as I could.

I arrived a few minutes later, and after answering the transmission, I saw a very annoyed woman. This made me smile inwardly, though I didn’t show it, because the woman was the High Inquisitor Gaetana. “What can I do for you, Inquisitor?” I asked in a smooth voice as I ran my hand through my dark violet hair.

“There have been some . . . old acquaintances searching for me for the past few weeks. I’d like you to deliver a message to them for me. Tell them . . .” then apparently changing her mind she asked, “where are you right now?” 

“I am on the planet Belassar. Is there something that you need?” I returned.

“Hmm . . . that will work well. I would like you to inform them that you have some information about me that they might be interested in, then set a trap for them there.”

“I believe that can be arranged.” I said, then shut off the transmission.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2017, 07:15:38 AM »

So now you have read an interlude from Ethan's POV, and one from Caedon's POV. I have one more that I need to do, but it could easily be from either. Who would you guys like to see another one from right now?

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

That.

Was.

BADASS!

Caedon is one icy SOB!  Business in front, murder in the back  Wink. Once again, you've done a tonal shift; definitely a different voice for him than either Ethan and Rowahn.  I can almost see him weighing in his mind the amount of credits versus expenses for losses (and underlings' failures  Wink).  Good scenery shift: snow-covered pine forests make for excellent imagery and setting. 

I have to admit that I am vacillating between Ethan and Caedon for POV... BUT if I absolutely HAD to pick one: Caedon. 

Nice easter egg!  We haven't seen Gaetana in awhile.  I really want to know more about THAT meeting and subsequent plans against her "old acquaintances"  Wink

As always, your action is enthralling, pulls me right in.  I feel like I am running in that Forest, blaster shots burning through the air.  Awesome visuals TR.  Can't wait for more!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2017, 03:28:28 AM »

Caedon certainly has the feel of a more true Sith in the Vader mould, killing off anyone who fails him, happy to eliminate underling rather than allow their capture, but still all business and so detached -  would definitely like to hear more of his POV.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »

I agree with LSG, Caedon really fits the Sith mold.  :-)  Honestly, though, I cannot say which I'd like to hear more from.  Both are interesting and compelling characters.

Loved the interlude.  And I am intrigued...   Old friends?  Hmm......

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2017, 10:15:14 PM »

Path to Legacy Interludes 3 and 4

The Thief
The concept of theft, the philosophy of it was interesting…it started with the concept of ownership.  To steal was to take ownership of something someone else claimed ownership of…but what was it to own something…

Everything came from nature in the end, when the first sentients made tools did they not steal them from the plants and rocks, did they pay for it?  Did they offer compensation when they mined and farmed to the planets they abused?  Did not the predator take the flesh of the prey, was that theft, certainly no prey would willingly give its flesh in trade. 

Why now on these worlds ask for forgiveness or to repay the environment from what had been taken…civilization had never asked before. It just took.

It was a law of nature, it had no moral dimension, to take that which was there…even the simplest prokaryote did that with no regards to who else might own or possess an errant protein.

He should write a book on that one day.  He thought of opening a text application to start…ah but where would it finish, what could it tell that people didn’t already know in their hearts to be true. 

He went back to his main task, before him a wall of blue lit screens filled with the code and rules that made Coruscant Savings and Loans run. The formula’s of an organization that could make or break a life by approving or rejecting a loan or payment extension stood before him…implacable logic of virtual intelligences that assessed a man’s worth by his capacity to repay…all just theft by another name.

“That one,” his companion pointed,

He nodded,

“should work…I’ll check how much…”  he input a few parameters into a search function, transaction size 50,000 credits plus, transaction timing within 6 hours, COUNT….a thin white circle spun, then the result, 22 million transactions a day, processing fee 3 credits appeared on the centre screen.  A small price for a fast secure payment. 

“Make it 5,” his companion ordered,

He plugged in the smallest of changes a 3 to a 5, then adjusted the fee collection schedule and it was done.

“urrgggh”  in the corner the President of Courascant Savings and Loans was stirring again….his companion flicked a glance at him sending him back to sleep.  For the President this was all just a strange dream in which he and two strange furry animals had gotten up at midnight, gone into the office, used the biometric scanner to access to computer core, then he would awake back in his own apartment and think nothing of it.

Meanwhile hidden in the depths of the automatic systems, every day small fees would be charged and increased for different transactions, 1 credit for a loan approval, 2 for an early repayment and now 2 for a 6 hour transfer of 50,000 plus.  And the extra credits from these increased fees would be siphoned through various accounts to the Indigenous Peoples Habitat Reclamation Charity, of which he and his companion were the sole owners, employees and beneficiaries. 

At this rate they would be reaping 150 million credits a day from 1 or 2 credit fees on the millions of transactions that occurred across Coruscant each day – and that was just from this bank!

They were just taking the fat nature offered, like scavengers taking the leavings on a large kills after the prime predators had left.  It was barely stealing…people willingly paid the fee after all for the service, did it matter it didn’t all go back to the bank…wasn’t their efforts in kidnapping the president worth a good return?

And in the end, who didn’t steal from nature, they were just taking their cut.

The Orthodox

He did not want to see the Jedi destroyed, from without or within.  That was why he had to do this…he didn’t want to but it was necessary.

Zhe had been a good Knight, dedicated and obedient to the Council…but over time zher defiance had grown in subtle ways…now he was forced to this.  The Knight he had chosen to bring zher in was little better, everyone could see the armour he wore under his robe, and got a glimpse of the blasters he carried…but his unorthodoxy was in appearance and tools not in philosophy so far as he could tell. 

There was nothing explicitly against wearing armour or using blasters in the Jedi code or ordinances, it was more tradition…he knew if he came down too hard on minor infractions he would create a system so rigid it would snap…this was the first threat that could destroy the Jedi…an unbending discipline that broke its own back. 

Yet this was the path he knew he was treading ever so gradually…it was as he determined the lesser of the two evils.

The second threat was more insidious, more subtle, yet for more dangerous.  To allow deviations, so called ‘progressive’ ideas infiltrate and change the Jedi would cause them to become diluted, their beliefs would become little more than ‘guidelines’, their code a quaint tradition paid only lip service…to stem this kind of pernicious thinking he had exiled the Gray.  Cultural osmosis would turn them into little more than regular citizens with odd power, a talented, but indistinguishable police force. 

Within two or three generations, everything that made them Jedi would be lost.  Accommodation to individual desires and trends of the time would lead to the allowance of relationships and collaborations, creating inevitable conflicts of interest whilst also reducing the pull to side with the Jedi in that event…they would gain some with a more accepting outlook, but over time they would vanish as the distinction between a citizen and a Jedi dwindled to nothing.

And so he had to send this Knight to bring in another…zhe had been sent to investigate and report on the activities of the Sons of Kessel not join them.  Whatever the arguments it was not the Jedi’s place to impose Republic law and morality on non-republic worlds. 

He chuckled, it was ironic, he feared the gradual spread of ideas over time would dilute and destroy the Jedi, yet was banking on such a gradual spread of Republic values into Hutt space and the outer rim to end slavery there.

“You understand,” he said to the Knight, “I want this resolved peacefully if possible…”

The Knight was one of the most intelligent “but…” he replied knowing there was a caveat

“I cannot tolerate two things,” he leaned forward in his council seat, they were the only two in the chamber as the sunset outside casting orange shadows across half their faces “one a rogue Jedi in the Outer rim actively attacking non-Republic assets, and two…”
he paused to consider how best to say this without being explicit about how he really wanted this to end,
“a rogue Jedi within the temple recruiting others to attack non-Republic assets,”

“I see,” the knight said, he could sense little from this knight at the best of times, he nodded, “I’ll take care of it master”, with a brief nod he departed.

It was a fine balancing act, to keep the Jedi between these two fates, breaking and dissolving…but he knew he was the only one who could do it.
*************************************************************************************************************

“You joined zher on the mission?,” a master to the far end asked

“Yes, zhe insisted on going, I had to follow, also I thought perhaps I might get an understanding of what zhe was doing and thus be better informed in how to convince zher to return”

“and how did zhe die?” the master beside him asked

“unfortunately master, it was as simple as a stray blaster bolt during the fighting…”

The master hung his head, “that is unfortunate.”

He didn’t know if that was true or not, the body had been brought back with the blaster wounds, whether it had been simply the battle or the Knight they were now debriefing had had a hand in it would never be known.  He didn’t really care.

“Zhe will be remembered,” he spoke up, “Though we disagreed, zher heart was in the right place, but let this remind us how following our feelings can be so dangerous,”

The masters and the Knight bowed their head in mourning.  He wasn’t happy with the outcome, zhe should never have left, but perhaps zher death would serve as a warning to others to remain within the Jedi, to keep to the path. 

It may be a narrow path, and many needed correction to remain upon it, but he knew it was the right one.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2017, 10:52:31 PM »

These were awesome. I really liked how you took theft, and made it into something that was not wrong, just something defined by people with a limited world view. That said, I don't condone thievery, still, it was a cool approach to take, and one not seen often.

The Orthodox was a little hard to follow. Not because you didn't explain what was going on, more of because there is more to the story that we do not yet know. Both of these have me intrigued, and I cannot wait to see what is going to come next.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2017, 01:50:54 AM »

Nice LSG!  I loved the thief.  Force-users using their powers to ... steal.  ON a very GRAND scale!

Hmm.   Did we just uncover the source of the Jedi's operations funds?  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2017, 02:52:56 AM »

I love your world building.  From seemingly innocuous details as the inclusive pronouns e.g. zhe, zher, to the ruminations of economic philosophy (I am reminded of "correlated--or Nash--eqilibrium" with The Thief). 

Also a nice window into Kimer's mind.  I am reminded of a saying that "Everyone is the hero in their own story."  Kimer's POV is definitely this.  And nice nod to the Mak'Tor Grays  Wink

LSG your writing is superlative.  You keep taking chances and getting the win IMO.  Can't wait for more!

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:24 AM »

Path to Legacy Interlude 5
The Master

“We often hear, to be able to teach one must be willing to learn, but to learn what exactly,” He asked, before him sat 12 new masters, each having just completed their first year with a padawan

“about our apprentices as people, their strength and weaknesses…by knowing them better we can better guide them,”

“guide them in what way,” he probed

“Well we can help them overcome weaknesses and sharpen strengths to their becoming a Jedi,”

He switched back on the reply “so there is but one way of being a Jedi?  For which some traits are strengths, some weaknesses,”

“I…hadn’t thought of that…”

He smiled widely, “don’t worry, the truth is Jedi come in all shapes and size,” he glanced around the room, “not just in terms of species, but also abilities…you were close in your answer, we must know our apprentices abilities, but no to turn them into ‘clone’ Jedi with the same array of abilities and ideas,” he leaned forward to emphasize his point

“but to discover what unique contributions each may make to the Jedi as a whole, and to learn with them, how those gifts can be expanded and utilized.” 

He went on “In turn, we learn about ourselves, what we can teach best and how this too can be spread to others. We learn that no matching of Master and apprentice is perfect, but each a unique relationship, that changes us both of them…we need to bear in mind we as masters are not static text books from which padawans learn to recite, but living fonts of knowledge and yes foolishness, malleable, changeable.” 

He closed up, “keep this in mind, what you teach today may not be the same lesson you teach on the same topic in a year, or a day, as your experiences change, as you learn, so does what you teach change,” he flicked a glance at the chrono,

“I think that’s enough deep thinking for one day!”
************************************************************************************
His master stood before him, barely half his height, and an eighth his age.  She had shoulder length red hair, green eyes and slightly puffy features that were gradually slimming as she got older.

There were two types of Mastery, or ways of being a master.  The first was in being an expert in a field, possessing abilities or expertise in a technique – this was why this girl was a master to him, ever since he had held her in his arms as a baby she had been full of the force in a way he was not, and desperately wished to learn. 

She moved into a basic Shii-Cho defensive stance and he moved forward with a Makashi combination.

The other sense of being a master was as a guide to another, this did not imply exceptional ability in a subject, but rather the ability to teach and communicate those techniques to another, and perhaps most importantly advice on when to use them. 

She countered quickly but with little enthusiasm, her face was down cast.  Her master hadn’t known what to do with her, and the girl was distraught herself.  Whilst her connection to the force was something he envied, she didn’t have the mastery over herself to control it…a burst of power had left three other padawans injured and he girl afraid of herself.

Her master had tried valiantly to bring her back out of her melancholy, but was wise enough to know when she needed external help, no master was capable to teaching every lesson needed, to recognise this was a part of being a good master.

He continued the basic sets, her parries and blocks were effective, her reflexes unusually quick, but still she wouldn’t draw on the force.  He wondered how far her natural abilities alone could take her.

“I know you’re worried,” he said as he continued the session,

“And that is natural, but you don’t have to be afraid, you’re not going to hurt an old grizzly Rancor like me,” another half-hearted block, something about the fact she could block him without using the force even as he did was interesting.

“How about you teach me how to connect to the force better and I’ll teach you how to control the force better, does that sound fair,” he kept his tone light and friendly

The force about her seemed to lift a little at that idea, he pressed on,

“I know you didn’t mean to hurt anyone, and I know you don’t want to again, the best way to do that is to master your abilities, not stop using them altogether…it’s like learning to pilot a space ship, the more practice he less likely you are to crash.”

He felt a little light in her as she tentatively touched the force again…well little was relative…even for a knight this would’ve seemed a large pull…yet for her…truly she was the master of the force here…..
************************************************************************************
He arrived early in the council chambers…where ten Masters met to determine the course of the Jedi.  It was an empty room crowded by the past, echoes of arguments, conflicts, and painful choices. 

He took his seat and recalled the day they had debated the Exile of the Mak’Tor…the legacy of that argument seemed embedded in the marble of the chamber.

“We should at least allow the Kage to make his case before us,” he had pleaded,

“There is nothing that Odjina, “ the Grand Master had refused to use his formal title, “has to contribute that you have not already said on his behalf ad nauseam.” 

“For the good of the order this pernicious, unorthodox influence must be expunged,”

Ten masters of the Jedi order had exiled their friends, ten masters bound to all speak with one voice after a decision was reached had stood on the steps behind the Temples guards as the Mak’Tor were pushed out. 

Seven Masters had stared dismissively as the Gray turned and left, Yoren had looked askance at the Coruscant traffic, Gurrlum had stared balefully at the Grand Master….he had met his friend, Kage Odjina’s eyes as he stood behind the raised blades of the Sentinels….he had done all he could short of creating an open schism within the order…As he looked around the empty chamber he wondered whether that had been the right choice….

Ten masters had exiled them for their differing beliefs and practices…what had that taught that and every subsequent generation of Jedi he wondered.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »

LGS, I really like this entry.  No, not for the Mak'Tor plug.  ;-)

The journey you make is interesting.  Beginning with a lecture about how every padawan is different, how the Jedi grow from the different abilities and strengths of each padawan, to the young, extremely strong girl (of Aethan descent?  Hmm....) who is so strong she is afraid of herself, to the Council - exiling an order of Knights who are just a little different than the "orthodox" Jedi.  And ending with the question: What had that taught the Masters to follow?

Loop back to the first scene - and you get a hint of the answer.  :-)

Very nice, my friend.  Very nice indeed.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2017, 12:46:06 PM »

I really enjoy this shared continuity; it truly enriches ALL our stories!  It's always a pleasure to see an ester egg as t relates organically to the narrative.  And reading more about the Mak'Tor expulsion...just perfect  Wink

I am thinking that this is the child of Milaea from CotA, absconded with by Kimar...and "raised" by Soryu.  Whom I thought would be the eponymous "Orphan" (nice curve-ball, that LSG).

As Karm stated, the "voice" of this chapter is different, perfect for the POV.  Not to mention a perfect proxy for us: a keen insight as to how the Jedi became so intractable.  Disney should hire you...heck, ALL of us  Wink  Grin

Excellent Interlude!

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »

Disney should hire you...heck, ALL of us  Wink  Grin

LOL!  SECOND!  I'll bet we could write out a bunch of good stuff for them!  Imagine a movie universe with all of these tie-ins!  WOOT!  They'd make Marvel look like pikers!  he he he!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: