Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 144866 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2018, 12:52:18 AM »

I love it. Two has a Lightsaber. Possibly the first droid to wield one. But now I'm curious, why is the saber blue? I have a feeling that that will be important in stories to come.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2018, 01:48:41 AM »

I love it. Two has a Lightsaber. Possibly the first droid to wield one. But now I'm curious, why is the saber blue? I have a feeling that that will be important in stories to come.

Indeed, maybe its just reflecting his personality...
Poor two though, he seems to get blown up every story! It's like a Mak'Tor Tradition!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:33 AM »

Indeed, maybe its just reflecting his personality...
Poor two though, he seems to get blown up every story! It's like a Mak'Tor Tradition!
Lol good point!

Just like it's a tradition that Gray Jedi lose a limb (or two...)  Wink

Good question TR!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »

LOL  I didn't really think about it before but you're right.  The Mak'Tor are hard on their droids.  Figures they'd have a "bootstrap protocol".  LOL

And the reason his saber is blue is...

*grin*

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2018, 10:02:39 PM »

Scraps
This story occurs approximately two weeks after the events of Shadow Etude Chapter 14/ Wind Chimes Chapter 16 Contrapasso

Light and pain.

Pain and light.

That was all she knew…the suddenness of it took her by surprise.  Rocks...pain...enemies…the flapping scraps of her limbs and flesh flopping, squelching beneath the rubble.

Her thoughts slowly trickled backward to try and work out where she was…she had been here before, broken, shattered, crushed…

The light dimmed as something moved past it, black…a mask…Vader…she had been here before…yet it wasn’t right…Vader was dead…so who…

The pain subsided…it fell, fell, fell…then turned into a blissful emptiness that went up, up and up her body, soaking her mind into a pool of vacant artificial pleasure….
************************************************************************************
She blinked as she came out of the dreamless depths, her toes were cold, she raised her right hand to sweep her hair from her face…

Wait…everything about those actions seemed wrong…she remembered…D’Aylanna had cut off her hand, her leg…her hair was long since ravaged by time and injury even before then.

She sat bolt upright with newfound strength to stare into a mirror.  It was like looking into a time warp…she was…whole again…she pressed at her face, her skin renewed and blue…vibrant…young even…she looked at her right hand, trembling she bit her thumb just to see…it bled…it wasn’t a cybernetic replacement…how?

“The Force as you call it,” came an empty voice from nowhere and everywhere at once.  She looked around her, it was a small room, clinical and white, just a bed, the mirror and a small refresher right beside it…

“Who…where am I?” she asked reasserting her sense of self that still seemed all too liquid.

No response…she looked around then unsteadily came to her feet, the room was all of nine paces square, a small window looked out on bright stars and deep black pits…similar to the night sky she had seen on Byss between the green clouds atop the Imperial Administrative Centre….She was in the Deep Core…but that was of little help it was a huge place in itself and impossible to navigate within. 

She stretched out with the force…trying to senses the size of the…that wasn’t right…vacuum…just beyond the wall behind her…the wall beside her, the ceiling, the floor…the stars moved…too slowly…an orbit…she was in a square box orbiting some unknown world – a prison…

No she would not fall into despair she was Darth Mendax, reborn from the scraps of the weakling Gaetana once and now once more, she would assert her power over this situation and rise again.

“No,” the voice returned, hollow, genderless, like a droid only with less substance if that were possible, “You won’t”
************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 10:25:45 PM »

OK, that's just not fair!  Some people you JUST CAN'T KILL!!!!!!!  :-)

*sigh*  Well.   Um, can we just rename her "Darth Penny", since she keep turning up?Huh?

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:32 PM »

OK, that's just not fair!  Some people you JUST CAN'T KILL!!!!!!!  :-)

*sigh*  Well.   Um, can we just rename her "Darth Penny", since she keep turning up?Huh?

She is like Murdoch or Moriarty. Dies all the time, but is she ever really dead?

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2018, 05:55:20 AM »

The Alliance
This story occurs approximately 5 years after the events of Children of the Aether, and 15 before the events of Legacy of the Aether.
-----------------------------------------
“But one fact has always remained constant: The Chiss must be approached from a position of strength and respect. One must have strength, for the Chiss will deal only with those capable of keeping their promises. One must have respect, for the Chiss must believe that those promises will be kept." Grand Admiral Thrawn
---------------------------------------

“So what do you think?” Seeraw’Wassan’Nuruodo asked his fingers pressed against each other over the desk as the blue lights on the glacier walls hummed behind him.

“He asks for a substantial amount of resources,” replied Trwann’setarra’Csapla, the current head of the ruling Csapla household.  The other heads of the Ascendancies ruling houses had deferred their judgement to the two of them, Wassan head of the Nuruodo and Military and foreign affair, Csapla resource management and colonial affairs.

“He has shown the ability to deliver,” Wassan fingered the data drive, his technicians had checked and his intelligence operatives confirmed a random sample of 5% of the vast store of Jedi intelligence was accurate – or at least so far as an intelligence could be considered accurate - and this was only the beginning.

“In that regard…my geologists were extremely impressed by the samples he provided…but without a full scale investigation we won’t know if the deposits he claims exists…it is a mammoth investment just to check….” Csapla replied,

“He did provide you with the navigational routes….” Wassan countered

“That is the problem…navigating through the Deep core…I’m surprised you’d trust it, he could easily put you off by a billionth of a degree and land you in a Binary neutron…”

“That is what probes are for…”

Csapla shook his head, “It just seems too strange…a Jedi wanders onto Csilla, offers us all the Credits and Jedi intelligence we could dream of, gives us samples minerals with unimaginable properties we’ve never heard of…and in exchange just wants us to help terraform a blasted world and industrialise the rest of the system…”

“It might seem too good to be true in a way…but I tend to trust him…he has a look of sincerity…a genuine passion for what he’s doing…”

Csapla laughed lounging back into his chair,
“Yes him and every other itinerant preacher and Holy man!”

“My point is…” Wassan leaned forward,

“He came to us with something to offer, from a position of strength, he had taken the time to learn our customs relating to outsiders, and the decency to be open about his betrayal of the Jedi order to achieve his aims…I don’t think we should ignore this opportunity…the potential gains…a dramatically increase intelligence foothold in the Republic, technology, unique resources, hyperspace lanes through the deep core…I’m willing to put a little skin in the game to confirm his story for the chance to get that.”

“Did he do a mind trick on you?” Csapla looked at him oddly,

“I’ve never met the man in person,” So far the Jedi had been confined to the cruiser Asstradda in orbit over Csilla, all communication between him and the Ascendancy ruling council occurred through three layers of the hierarchy. 

“He’s not asking for anything we don’t already do for our own colonies, terraforming, establishing automated mines and factories…we have the resources and expertise he needs to repair his system…he has the intelligence and Credits we need to finally get more than just third-hand spacers tales of what is happening in the Republic.”

Csapla waved his hands in defeat, “Fine…I’ll give you this…one chance, have the Jedi talk to us directly, I want to ask him somethings,”

Wassan nodded and keyed his terminal issuing the orders through the CEDF.  Csapla poured a glace of ice cold water as they waited for the orders to filter down then back up – control and hierarchy were essential and deserved tim to function.

“Sir”, the face of the Asstradda’s captain appeared at the centre of the table,

“The prisoner,”

Wassan nodded and the picture went blank then was replaced with the human Jedi, short brown hair, clean shaven, young, 25, a serious expression if he could read humans correctly. 

“Knight Valens of the Jedi Order, I represent House Nuruodo, my companion House Csapla, we wish to question you further on your unsolicited proposal,”

The Jedi nodded gravely but remained silent, respectful, but also wary, he could understand that.

“Jedi…” Csapla mused, “Can you be called that if you are willing to betray them?”

Valens remained level in his stare, “Betrayal is your word, Jedi intelligence is offered freely to all knights to use as they see fit, I see fit that I should offer it to you for personal gain, I am breaching no rules, only unspoken convention,”

Wassan had to smile at his candour,

“You don’t consider that as Treason against the Republic?” Csapla pressed,

“The Jedi are not the Republic, nor are the Jedi or Republic a Monolith, in addition the Chiss are not in a state or war or aggression against the Republic, they are not even classed as a foreign power given they are unknown to the Republic officially.  At any rate with no military the Republic has no military or security secrets to be betrayed.” 

There was a ferocious logic to his statements he knew Csapla could not deny,

“Hrmph…very well tell me this, why come to us with this request, why not the Jedi or a Republic world?”

“I am making deals with corporations in the Republic for specific items, but no one has the capacity to terraform and modernise a system as quickly as your Colonisation program does, in addition no one but the Chiss are as consistent in the quality of their work and honour in keeping promises,”

“Flattery…” Csapla sneered

“Accuracy” Valens replied,

“Why would we want to help you, whose to say you won’t turn on us as soon as we’re done?” Csapla went on, Wassan could tell he was grasping at straws,

“It is not in my interest…We are both insular societies, we value our own kind above all else, and are satisfied with a small region of well-developed systems cut off from the galaxy at large.  We are natural allies, or simply trade partners at the lowest level, we both stand to gain immensely from this arrangement, if in no other way then from he innovation the interaction of two distinct cultures can bring.”

He spoke well…perhaps too well…Wassan thought

“You’re culture, which currently consists of just you?” Csapla taunted,

“For now…Even so, if nothing comes of my plans you only stand to gain, if my people become extinct you obtain a developed system in the deep core, the means to navigate there, unique minerals and resources, vast sums of credits to buy influence in the Republic and data on Jedi operations.  If I succeed, you gain the last four items and an alliance with a race of Force sensitive warriors who will – I assure you of this – be very helpful during future expansionary wars you conduct,”

He blinked for what Wassan was certain was the first time this whole transmission,

“I know you have your eyes on Killik Space…you will need Force sensitive soldiers to succeed there,”

Csapla jumped up, “How do you….” Their plans for Killik territory were part of a long term planning document that outlined colonisation and military strategy for the next three centuries…it WAS the most highly classified document in the entire Ascendancy, only the heads of the families and their immediate successors were to have access to the entirety of it…even small sections were viewed only by the highest level officers, Admiralty and above.

Wassan stood, “Easy Csapla…the Jedi has shown us just now how potent a Force sensitive individual not restrained by the Jedi code can be I think…”

Valens remained impassive, as Csapla finally sat down,

“Alright…alright…” it was unseemly for th head of a family to be so agitated Wassan thought as Csapla spoke,

“You’ve shown your worth ‘Jedi’, I’ll agree to this…we will send our scouts to the locations you identified as having the highest mineral concentrations…if they check out…we can begin formal drafting of a contract,”

Wassan smiled, confident this deal would soon be struck, and turned to the holo, “Thank you for you time Jedi Valens,”

Valens nodded, “Thank you for your consideration and hospitality,”

As the Holo faded, Wassan knew a brilliant future had just dawned.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

Oh...   The Chiss???   Nicely played!  That explains a lot of how they're going to redevelop Vyth and provide for their tech needs.  Nice!

Slowly the Aethans start to flesh out a bit...  You've clearly put a LOT of thought into this!  My Mak'Tor are skeletal compared to this!  Love it, LSG!

One character note: Valens comes across more and more like a Vulcan...  And Jayrs (sp?) is his Romulan twin...  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »

Oh...   The Chiss???   Nicely played!  That explains a lot of how they're going to redevelop Vyth and provide for their tech needs.  Nice!

Slowly the Aethans start to flesh out a bit...  You've clearly put a LOT of thought into this!  My Mak'Tor are skeletal compared to this!  Love it, LSG!

One character note: Valens comes across more and more like a Vulcan...  And Jayrs (sp?) is his Romulan twin...  :-)

He does a bit...but he plays to the tastes of the crowd, I don't think anyone Sees his true self...yet...

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »

He does a bit...but he plays to the tastes of the crowd, I don't think anyone Sees his true self...yet...
That makes sense.  The Chiss and Vulcans would have gotten along nicely, I think...

And that's probably true as well.  This guy is DRIVEN.  That iron control is clamped down for a reason...  :-)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »

** Reconstruction **

I watch the padawans with the ghost of a smile on my face.  The crystal cave is a wonder, a massive water-hewn chasm in the mountain where a high water basin catastrophically drained through the rock in the ancient past.  The wind-swept plateau above is where the Mak'Tor temple arose, centered over the force nexus the cave became below.  But down  here...

Down here was magic...

The walls are studded with crystals.  The rock is alive with kyber here, a massive crystal pocket filled with all kinds of crystals but liberally sprinkled with kyber.  Generations of Mak'Tor knights had pulled saber crystals from this cavern.  More had come just to feel ... and listen ...

The chorus of song swirled magestically around me, filling the cavern with music in the force.  The might fanfare was awesome and inspiring, filled with the story of the Mak'Tor, pain and joy, defeat and victory, agony and esctacy.  The crystals, lit with an internal fire, shone with the light of the song, clear white, pulsing in time to the never-ending music.  It was beauty ... in the dark.  And altogether glorious.

I closed my eyes and joined the song, singing along, relishing my small part in the mighty orchestra of the force.  After a time the song recedes, retreating into a softer, deeper pastoral chord progression.  I open my eyes, and I see it happen: A padawan, concentrating, head suddenly tilting to the side...  Her eyes snap open and she focuses on the one.  The crystal that would become hers, power her lightsaber.  Be her companion...

I feel a stab of pain.  Where are you, old friend?   My eyes widen as I hear the familiar chime in response.   I hear you!  Now it is my turn to tilt my head, orient my mind, listen... 

There.  Dantooine...   I drew back, realized I had been humming.  I stopped for a moment, considered the motif.  Where did that come from?  I hummed a bit again, very quiet, and then it connected: The Ancient One had chimed it!  The crystal had ... taught me a motif!

I shook my head, felt my eyes go wide in amazement.  No, not the crystal.  One of the 'inhabitants'...  They want to be found.  I stopped humming and thought hard.  Dantooine was on the opposite side of the galaxy from Geonosis, but it was close to where Telow'na said the Imperial remnants were gathering.  So it was likely that Mellichae had gone there looking for allies.  And finding them, no doubt.  So now I knew where he was...  I concentrated, used a motif Arnor and I had developed to communicate over distance and tossed back a thought: Soon.  I am coming soon.

I heard a very faint chime in reply, then the Ancient One faded out, lost in the deep orchestra of the universe's chorus.  I relaxed, enjoyed the peace for a few moments longer, then rose and left, noting another young padawan - a male with shockingly white hair  - suddenly cry out with joy and dart for another crystal pulsing in the wall.  The saber lab would be busy this afternoon...

Best get there early.

The chassis was standard, no different than my previous sabers with one exception: It was 30% longer and I had packed in a high-density power cell and done some serious work fitting in all the control mechanisms and focusing lenses and other necessary equipment.   And finally ... two of the pontite Adegan crystals I'd captured on Geonosis - and captured to my chorus.  Two power switches, two emitter assemblies, one longer hilt...

A saber staff.  And since it was a staff, the hilt's sheath was not brushed nickel but brushed finish songsteel, with the same thickness as our standard body armor.  I guided the crystals into place, using the force to make the final power connections and jiggle the crystals into place.  There, that should do it...

I stood, stretched, and then ignited the blades, swinging it through a modified Soresu Dulan.  The flow was easy and smooth, the blades bright yellow and pulsing with my battle song...

I retracted the second blade and slid another switch with my thumb, and the primary blade reconfigured, extending from the shorter twin-blade length I favored to the full length blade of a single hilt.  I repeated the pattern, feeling the flow and rhythm.

Oh yes.  This will do nicely...

I felt a pang again, smaller but bitter-sweet.  I had never gone into battle without the Ancient One at my side.  This would be the first time.  But this was a rescue mission, and you need a weapon to conduct a rescue.  Besides ... I had a score to settle with the Zabrek...

Soon, my friend.  Soon...

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »

For LSG's Interludes

I LOVE what you did with Mendax!  A true resurrection: her body being restored, just perfect.  Although I think that her "benefactors" might be even more dangerous than the Ferroan Sith  Wink

Excellent use of the Chiss Ascendency.  That was always one facet of the EU books that I think enriched the SW universe: Zahn's Thrawn and the Chiss.  Your attention to detail is incredible LSG: from Chiss names to their idiosyncrasies, maybe you should write the next book on the Unknown Regions  Wink.  Still, I think that there is more to Valen' end game...

For Karm's Interlude

Nice saberstaff!  Mellichae is going to find out that "having" is not the same as "wanting."  I have to say Karm: M'Tzigon sure sounds idyllic, maybe a great place to vacation  Wink. Wonderful Interlude; I'd like to see more like this  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2018, 05:14:38 PM »

Interlude-The Zabrak’s Tale and a Master’s Lesson (Takes place after Shadow Etude: Epilogue)

Sweat poured from my brow, my short brown hair soaked through.  Trying to see, I kept my lightsabers at the ready, my shoto in the Shien reverse grip.  Before I was able to recover from the Zabrak’s last attack, his saberstaff was a flurry of motion, his form immaculate, flowing against my defenses hard.  It takes all of my skill in order to keep his blades from striking.  But even as he moves, so too do I.  My movement is fluid, temporary, adaptable.  As I defend, I set up my next attack, flowing from my center, always in motion.  My main blade’s cut stops short, the Zabrak’s saberstaff an impenetrable wall.  Again I flow, this time in retreat achieving my center.  Not an actual “position,” but rather one of “self” and the potency that it delivers.

Simultaneously, I call forth a torrent of rocks, stones, and dirt, creating an obfuscating vortex that temporarily blinds my opponent.  Pressing advantage, I eschew defense completely, attacking with both main and shoto lightsabers, my lightning quick strikes battering against the Zabrak’s saberstaff.  But his Soresu is without equal; even as he seemingly loses ground, I can tell that he’s recovered from the distraction.  His eyes suddenly open, scrutinizing his surroundings while concurrently focusing on any exploits in my saberwork.  He smiles, the red and black face adopting a wicked grin.  Again his saberstaff is in motion, the weapon striking hard again in rhythm with his Form.  And like that, I’m forced to the defensive.  And I know that I cannot defeat him—not this opponent—by defending.

Before his saberstaff can stab my leg, I see an opening, forcing the blade of my main lightsaber low, drawing his blade in a high orbit. I’ve got him… I smiled to myself as I cut with my shoto at his exposed side…only too late noticing the softness of his lower blade’s resistance.  My eyes widen in surprise as I stare into his, hazel to his silver-blue.  I immediately recognize my mistake: I’d been lulled into expecting the Zabrak to renew his Soresu.  Instead, he switched to a passive Niman variant, tangling my lightsabers within his blades but leaving me completely open to the Force Push that propelled me across the room.  Backflipping at the last minute, I was able to recover before I crashed into the far wall.  But the Zabrak was already upon me.

His first saber strike disarmed me of my main lightsaber.  Even before the hilt had fully left my hand, he spun his saberstaff, locking my shoto to my side, ineffective and useless.  And on the same orbit, his blade struck my head at the neck.  Closing my eyes, I could not help but smile.

“Now you’re dead, Zearic.” The Zabrak’s smile transformed his devilish visage, the good humor of his voice reflected in his ice-blue eyes.  “But I am impressed with your Water Forms!  Pranay must be working you hard if you say that you’d only recently achieved the ‘Waterfall of Balance.’  It’s been quite some time since I’ve faced a Water Warrior in contest against me, but you do yourself—and Pranay Torsin—credit.”  He raised his saberstaff in salute, an easy smile upon his face lit by his dual blue blades.

“Thank you, sir.”  I bowed deeply, truly honored to have this opportunity.  “Kage Silman, how did you anticipate my riposte?  I felt the softness of your low blade; you knew that I intended a high strike.”  The Zabrak closed down his practice weapon, replacing it within the display case on the wall.  I likewise followed suit, thanking the Mak’Tor battlemaster for lending me some of his practice sabers for the exercise.  We walked towards the lockers on the adjacent wall, the beautiful trompe-l'œil of the Mak’Tor arrival on M’Tzigon done in low relief upon the ferrocrete.

“Ah, that.”  Kage Silman’s smile became a full-blown grin.  “I’m afraid that I have a secret to admit to.  You see, I know Pranay’s emphasis on which Water Forms he teaches.  I grant you: it took me the better part of our battle to finally decipher which Forms you favored.  Well done that, Zearic.  But, alas, I noticed that you tend towards expectation in the ‘hard guard.’”  The Zabrak laughed.  “Pranay always did have trouble with preconceived notions concerning certain defenses.”  We stopped in front of the lockers, my hand unlocking the biometric lock.

Amazed, I could not help but laugh.  Here I was listening to critique about my own Nexu Master…from his Nexu Master.  Kage Silman continued, “But you do yourself honor: that is not as obvious in your own saberwork.  In fact, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Pranay promoted you upon your next Testing within the Nexu Halls.”  The kindly words held incalculable weight, coming from Kage Silman.  Before withdrawing the contents of my locker, I bowed deeply to the Zabrak Kage.

“Thank you, sir.  I cannot express my gratitude and just what your compliments mean to me, Kage.”  And donning my robes, I looked back at the Zabrak.  For a split-second, Kage Silman’s face looked impassive.  Then laughter and mirth overcame his entire demeanor.

“Yep.  You’re one of Pranay’s students.  Please Zearic, we Mak’Tor are not so much about formality, pomp and circumstance.”  His smile softened.  “But you are most welcome, maenowan...”

Slowly, his voice trailed off, his eyes intent on the contents of the locker that I withdrew.  Kage Silman did not raise either his voice or head but I could tell that his entire focus was directed at me.  “Zearic.  Where did you get that knife?”

Looking down, I hadn’t realized that I had exposed the dagger when taking it out.  As with all times, the light around the black surface seemed to dim, as if being absorbed by the stone itself.  Myself inquisitive, I related the tale of our battle within the crevasses of the Canticum Lowlands and how I’d found it among Jennira’s things surrounding her throne.  “Why do you ask, Kage?”

At first the muscular Zabrak didn’t answer.  Then, gently grabbing my shoulder, he directed that I put the weapon away in the sheath behind my belt while he led me out of the practice theater and towards one of the adjoining Gardens.  As we continued walking among the tranquil fauna, I got the impression that Kage Silman was looking for a private place devoid of any other Jedi.  Patiently, I walked beside him until we came to a pergola heavy with rare silver grapes.  Casually looking around both of my shoulders, the Zabrak Kage continued.

“On Dathomir, there are…stories that the Zabrak males tell one another.  You see, we’re a matriarchal society, males are viewed as little more than tools to be used…or exploited.”  His voice grew quiet.  “But rumors do still persist.  The Clan Mothers—it is said—took direction from the highest on high, stylized the Pyth’N’ssam, the…Nightsister Queen, if you will.”  Kage Silman’s eyes stared straight into mine.  “One of the devices of the…'office,' was a black stone dagger, the Tenebris Pugione.”  He paused meaningfully.

“…And you think that this dagger—” I gestured at the sheathed weapon behind my belt, “—is one and the same?”  I folded my arms across my chest while the Zabrak looked contemplative.

“Honestly?  I do not know.”  He suddenly looked intent.  “However, the knife was more than just an affectation of power.  Have you noticed any…”  For a moment the Zabrak Kage looked at a loss for words.  But then, “…Vitality.  Have you been in a situation where you suddenly—and inexplicably—felt inundated with vigor?”  He closed his eyes.  “No, that’s not quite correct.”  He looked at me from beneath his black and red brow.  “Tell me Zearic: have you found yourself feeling…a…wellspring of strength?”

Slowly, I shook my head.  “No, Kage.  Not that I can remember…”  Had I?  Looking back…was it possible?  But after what Karm and, later, the Singers had done with their Healing, would I be able to discern the difference?  My brows drew together in thought.  And then...

“…Yes…” I spoke haltingly at first, talking faster as I went.  “I…when Jennira’s Sith-Shadows first attacked Karm and I.  There were literally dozens of them.  Yet, not once, did I feel fatigue.  Instead, I mowed them down.”  I looked directly into Kage Silman’s eyes.  “I thought that it was due to Karm’s battle-Song…or that my armor was protecting me—I’m sure that those did help—but, now upon retrospect, I had just attributed it to adrenaline or the Force.”  I closed my eyes in memory.  “But even then I noticed that I felt unstoppable.  No, I was unstoppable.”

I felt the Kage’s hand upon my shoulder.  “Zearic…if—if—this dagger is the Tenebris Pugione, I would be…reticent in using it.  It is an evil artifact.”  Sympathy filled his silver-blue eyes.  “The Clan Mothers would constantly war upon one another in order to gain position and, by consequence, the knife.  The position of Pyth’N’ssam is drenched in the blood of countless victims, willing and not.”  He sighed.  “I am not your Kage, nor would I presume to tell you what to do but, Water Warrior to Water Warrior, be very—very—careful with that weapon.”  Then, suddenly smiling, he started walking, gently guiding me further into the Concordia Gardens.  “Let me tell you about the time that I had a bet with Pranay about Du’an Chillum…”

<<<<< >>>>>

“…Master Chillum?” Jorya thought she’d misheard the venerable Gray Jedi Master.  “…You want for me to…attack you?”  She and Master Chillum were alone in one of the Training Rooms.

His wrinkled face held a smile but his eyes…his eyes were almost…predatory.  “Yes, lass.  I want for you to try to Push me, preferably, the further, the better.”

Jorya blinked.  “…But Master…I don’t want…” She wasn’t quite sure how to continue.

“…For me to be too rough on you, lass?”  Again, his sharp, hazel eyes gleamed.  “Don’t you worry; I know how to be gentle to juvenile Gray Knights.”  He winked.

Again, she felt the anger, irrational as it was.  Breathe.  Balance.  Like Father taught me… she thought.  “…No Master Chillum.  I’m not worried about that.  I just don’t want—“

“—To lose to an old man, lass?” He was no longer smiling; in fact, he looked…disappointed.  “Knight Fah, do you really think so little of me?”  The silence hung in the air.  

Rage began to flare.  How dare… Her jaw worked but no sound came from her mouth.  OK…I will show you… Resolute, she said, “Not at all Master.  But I don’t want for my parents to be angry with me if I accidently hurt you.”  Mentally, she readied herself.

Master Chillum smiled.  “Good lass, good.  That’s what I wanted to see.”  Contrasting his serious tone, his posture was casual, unconcerned.  “Now.  Show me what you’ve got.”

As soon as the words were from his mouth, Jorya gave a mighty Force Push, having collected herself prior.  Her father had told her that she was more powerful than he was at her age, closer to her Mother’s potential.  All of this went through her mind a split second after she’d projected the potent Push.  Wait…no! The rational part of her finally caught up to her anger.  But it was too late.

Almost nonchalantly, Master Chillum brushed the attack aside.  …How…? Jorya looked stunned, her mouth agape.  Even her Mother had never done something so…

“Come on, lass.  Surely, you can do better than that…” His voice was quiet, almost bored.

Again, the anger.  Balling her hands into fists, she closed her eyes.  She felt the Force flow, from below her feet, from the planet itself, upwards through her legs, into her body, into her entire being.  She’d never held so much of the Force before.  Surely Master Chillum must sense—must see—what this much power could do…

“Hmph.  Lass, I thought you were serious.  Clearly, the Vhal-Dan made a mistake Knighting you.  If you were mine, you’d still be a teidowan.”  Master Chillum’s voice was soft, calm.  He could have been speaking about trade negotiations for all of the passion in his voice.  It caused to infuriate her.  She didn’t even need to strike, only release the power…

It was incredible in its destructive potential, her Force Push would have plowed through twenty…no, thirty Sith-Shadows, bowling them over as effortlessly as a hot knife through butter…

The Gray Master again brushed aside her effort.  And quietly, he said something that pierced right through her.  “Hmph.  Lass, you should return to Sekot.  You’ll only let your parents down when they need you the most.”

All rational thought left faster than a pod-racer in the final lap.  Rage—fear—took hold of her and she struck out blindly.  Master Chillum stood unaffected.  Again and again, she threw all that she had at him only for him to deflect them.  She felt anger.  She felt fear.  She felt…impotent.  And as soon as the thought came, unbidden, she collapsed to her knees, tears that she had forced down—denied—came forth like a dam bursting.

“Now, now lass.” She felt a gentle hand upon her head, softly stroking her montrals.  “I know lass.  I know.”  Master Chillum’s voice was full of compassion.  “You’ll not let them down, lass.  Never that.”  Each soft stroke of his hand helped to alleviate the dread, the sorrow.

“…I…I am so sorry Master!”  She began to cry anew.  “I…I felt anger…no rage!  I…am so, so sorry…” Sobs racked her body.  And still, calmly, Master Chillum continued to softly stroke her head, comforting her.  

After a time, she felt drained but…relieved.  The outburst, the tears, the honesty had been cathartic.  She looked up at the old man, his intelligent eyes full of sympathy.  Slowly, he wiped her tears.  “Lass, it’s alright.  Although…I think we’ll have to get a janitor or two in here…”

And, looking around, she finally noticed the state of the room.  It looked as if a thermal detonator had exploded.  By the Maker…! She thought.  “Oh…oh Master!  Please…I am so sorry!” Her renewed apologies were interrupted by the last thing that she expected to hear, utterly shocking her into silence.

Du’an Chillum, Master of Song, senior member of the Council of Balance of the Mak’Tor Gray Jedi, laughed.  No, howled.  Full-bellied laughter shook through him, infecting Jorya.  Before she knew it, she herself was taken in by his humor, her own laughs echoing throughout the ruined Training Room.

Slowly, they both quieted, slight guffaws escaping now and again.  “Oh my, lass.  I am reminded of the last time that this happened.”

Lightly laughing, Jorya said, “So this happens a lot Master?”  Her blue eyes squinted in humor.

Smiling broadly, fondly, and in remembrance, Master Chillum’s eyes lost focus, thinking of the past.  “Aye, lass, aye.  A young teidowan.  Good lad…” His voice suddenly quieted.  “Brave, good lad…”

His eyes refocused, his attention full on Jorya as he sobered suddenly.  “Now lass.  What did I do?”

Caught off-guard, Jorya stuttered, “…D-do?  S-sorry Master…?”  She looked confused.  “I’m sorry Master; I don’t know…”

Gently, a smile again fixed on his mouth, Master Chillum patiently asked, “What did I do to defeat your attacks?”  At a loss, Jorya shook her head, eyes intent on the old Gray Master.  “Lass, I didn’t have to stand against your power, I only needed to redirect it.  The more you tried to project, the easier I could deflect it, using only a fraction of what you yourself were using.”  She was nodding even as he was explaining.  “You see lass, you don’t always have to confront something head-on.  Sometimes, it’s best to re-channel those energies, conserving your own in the process.”

He helped Jorya to her feet.  “Aye, remember lass: you don’t have to be stopped by fear.  You can…avert it.  Use it.  And, ultimately, allow it to empower you.”  Master Chillum’s eyes adopted a raptor-like focus.  “You’re strong, lass.  Not because you overpower your fear but because you can harness it.  Remember: give unto the Maker your fear; let Him to His job.”  His eyes softened, as did his entire demeanor.  “Your parents are proud of you, lass.  As am I.  Always remember that.”

Tears still in her eyes, Jorya threw her arms around the old Master’s neck, a small laugh punctuating her gratitude.  “Thank you, Master Chillum.  Thank you so much…”

Closing his eyes, he continued to stroke her montrals.  “Aye lass… ‘Tis alright…’tis alright…”

<<<<< >>>>>

D’Aylanna sat at the holocom, the unit pinging as it awaited her IdentCode.  Keying it in, a disembodied head emerged in the air, the hologram grainy and of somewhat poor quality as a result of the distance.

“Master Gray D’Aylanna Vih’Torr.” The face in the hologram was more handsome than beautiful, the light blue skin smooth, the orange eyes rare among Ferroans.

“Kage Oyuna Chand’n.” D’Aylanna nodded.  “I take it you’ve reviewed my After-Action Report?”  The diminuative Hapan woman had adopted a more casual tone after exchanging pleasantries.

“Yes I have, D’Aylanna.  But that is not the purpose of this call.”  The Kage’s face looked pensive.  “The Council has received disturbing reports emanating from Hutt Space.”

If D’Aylanna was surprised, she hid it well.  “Yes?  Reports of what nature?”

The Kage’s orange eyes looked enigmatic, her tone conspiratorial.  “Tell me, D’Aylanna: have you heard about the Sons of Kessel?”

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »

Nice one! I like Master Chillum's lesson.  That was well written and well thought out.  And very much in character for Chillum.  :-)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: