Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 144874 times)
Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2018, 07:09:51 AM »

Yes, this was absolutely wonderful. The obviousness of it being a myth or bedtime story, but at the same time taken from our own Greek myths, that was great. It doesn't matter that I instantly knew exactly what was happening or how it was going to end up, the only thing that matters is that you successfully told a story and got the message across that you were trying to, as well as write it in a believable way for your portion of the universe. Excellently done.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »

LSG, that was cool!  Thank you for sharing!

Now...  Can we leave this on a stone tablet somewhere for Kiraea to find???  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2018, 04:59:11 AM »

A bit of background for a relationship that will become increasingly important.....

Rumours – Part 1
[/b]
She twisted her neck from side to side as she stepped onto the training mats for the first time in six months. 

Her legs still felt restless every night, but she’d finished up her last formal rehab session the day before.

She only recognised a few of the faces, this class under Master Hk’Tn was for 16 to 18 year olds, she was the odd one out having just turned twenty…it hadn’t been much of a celebration, her Master Soryu was away again, most of the friends she had before were now knighted and off on their own missions.

She was left behind, struggling to get back into the flow so she could undertake the trials that her coma had delayed.

She followed the direction of Hk’Tn to line up against the burly Chandrillian Oma, she was ahead taller than Sofa and twice as wide at least, often teased she recalled as being half Herglic.  Sofa gave her a warm smile, they both knew what it was like to have people snipe behind their back.

Hk’Tn hit the buzzer and he round began.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She landed on her butt heavily on the training matt, felling the duracrete underneath.  Sixth round…sixth loss…at least she’d probably win the next round, the score board showed her next opponent hadn’t won at all. She got up and dusted herself off with a quick stretch of her left leg that had suffered the most from her nearly two month coma.

Over to the side Magin was joking around with Ayrck, as she glanced their way she saw them glance at her, Aryck leaned over and whispered something to Magin causing them both to snigger. 

She bit her lip in annoyance as she realised her recent coma and rehab had done nothing to diminish the spread of her reputation. 

“Umm…we’ve started…” came a soft voice form her next opponent.  She shook her thoughts off and turned to him…she’d never seen him before, he looked a little older than the others, short brown hair, grey eyes and a half glum half nervous expression that marred what might have been a handsome face if it were smiling.

“Right…” She swung out with a left hook that caught on his right forearm as he responded with a low kick.  She sidestepped and got into her groove, he was quick and proficient but didn’t seem to be able to know when to take the numerous opportunities he had to land a finishing blow, after a minute and a half she finally punched the big red sensor on his chest to score the win.

He looked a little deflated,

“Hey better luck next time,” she said to cheer him,

“Umm yeah…thanks…” he turned to head to the next match up then paused,

“uh…I wanted to say…I hope you’re feeling better after…”

“Oh thanks, yeah” he was the first one to have said anything

“Hey I don’t think we’ve met I’m Sofa, Sofa Neirai,”

He nodded, his eyes darting around to Magin and Aryck
“Yeah I know…They shouldn’t say those things about you…” he finished up oddly before heading off leaving her a little confused as to who he was and what was up with him.

Her next few rounds went much better, she lost 3 won 2, but got some good limb points.  As she fell back from Magins hit the bell sounded and he helped her up,

“Thanks,”

“No worries, hey I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime, me and the guys are getting some Zygerian rolls later,”

He seemed sincere enough, and she didn’t really have any reason not to

“Uh…sure I’d like that,”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She was just finishing up her shower in the change rooms when she overheard the whiny voice of Bellana talking to Soresa,

“She’s already hitting on Magin can you believe it!”

“Once a tralk always a tralk, that coma story is all bull, I heard she was sent to Dantooine after what happened with Nura’n Deen,”

She just bit her lip and headed past as she opened the door silencing their conversation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As it turned out only Magin was getting some Zygerian rolls at the small store across the temple plaza…apparently the others had study to catch up on.  But free rolls were free rolls,

“So you taking the trials soon,” he asked absently flicking a stray piece of nerf meat into his mouth.

“Hopefully, once I get back into my groove physically,” she inwardly cringed at how slutty that sounded

“Cool, so you like music?”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magins small room was at the far end of the hall, she was so looking forward to hearing the latest Blazing Comets track. 

“I love Stars Burning it was the coolest,” she said as he fumbled around for the player,

“Yeah it was pretty cool, have a seat,” he gestured to the bed as the music started to play,

It was a little faster than their previous tracks but still pretty good,

“Must’ve been real lonely in that coma…” Magin began,

“Yeah…well you don’t notice so much…it’s like…a light switch guess,”

“You have such nice hair, so dark and sultry,” he said his fingers trailing through the ends as he shifted closer and she realised where this was headed,
“look Magin…you’re a nice guy, and thanks for taking me out…but this is a bit fast,”
“Come on…” he pressed closer his hand on her knee,
“You’ve been cooped up in rehab so long you need to have some fun, you said so yourself…”
She had said that…still,
“Magin…I don’t know maybe we should get to know each other better first,”
“I already know you’re the most beautiful woman in the entire temple,”

“Ha ha real smooth,” she slid his hand off and got up, “Look I..I should go,”

He grabbed her hand, “come on you haven’t even heard the whole album yet,”

She tugged out of his grip, “I’ll listen to it later,” He stood a head above her

“What’s your problem, everyone knows you’re always up for it,”

She was about to slap him when there was a knock at the door,

He gave her an annoyed look then pushed past to open it…there was no one there, she immediately darted out knocking him into the wall on the way out.

She could feel herself start to tear up as she ran down the hall, not noticing the quiet brown haired padawan from earlier that day watching her.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As soon as she stepped into the gym the sniggering started…the rumours, the gossiping…even though they were meant to be above such things it still happened.

Even Oma gave her an odd look as she partnered up for the tag run through the obstacle course with the brown haired padawan whose name she must’ve forgotten. In the end for want of anyone else she had to partner with Aryck, Magins crony.

The course was 600 metres long weaving through the gym, a series of jump, switch and slide obstacles that required two people to complete the challenge areas.
The bell sounded and they headed off.  It was fine at first, Aryck was taller so she would hold him up so his longer arms could reach the switched or grasp the ledges, they reached a section where he had to lift her through a duct too small for him, as he lifted her up he stared,

“Cute,” he said simply,

It got worse after that, at every challenge where they had to lift or pull each other he took gratuitous advantage to accidently touch her butt, or slide his hands over her shoulder onto her breast. She wanted to slap him…but as it was she couldn’t do anything to risk her chance of taking the trials as soon as possible.

When it was over they tallied up the time and scores for hitting hidden objective buttons scattered through the course.  Oma and her partner…Valens that was the name…had come first…fastest score by half a minute and every hidden objective hit, she glanced over as the pair high fived…she could hardly believe it looking at the odd pairing.

She and Aryck had come second to last.  “Sucks, maybe we should hang back later, run the course a few times just the two of us,” he suggested, his sweaty breath close to her face,

“I don’t think so you creep,”

“Come on don’t be like that, we can have fun, Magin tells me you’re always up for it,” She had suspected, but this was confirmation Magin was spreading lies about her…it was bad enough before her coma…it would be worse now.
It followed her all day…everyone she passed in the corridors seemed to look at her accusingly…

Even in the lecture hall people avoided sitting near her as it filled up.  The debate series was quite popular, it had Padawans debate Council members on issues of the day each randomly assigned for or against, a way to teach both how to understand both sides of a problem, and also encourage padawans to get to know the council members. 

Today Gurrlum was debating Padawan Valens on the topic of Economic disadvantage as mitigating factor in criminal responsibility.  The lanky Gado Gurrlum was taking the con position, arguing that economic disadvantage was not related and should not be considered when assessing criminal responsibility, Valens was for.

She wasn’t that interested…personally she couldn’t see how being poor was an excuse to murder someone…but it distracted her…and if she didn’t show herself publically people would think she was afraid of the rumours.

Gurrlum made a good opening argument, that to preserve the rule of law economic disadvantage in term of poverty could not be considered a mitigating factor, or else one must consider a rich man’s crimes worse for having less need to steal which undermined the concept of equality before the law for the same crime. 

She wasn’t expecting much from the fumbling Valens as he nervously looked about the room, so far every sentence she’d heard him speak was half ‘umm’ she really couldn’t figure how he was Yoda’s apprentice.

Then he began speaking…He argued eloquently that where poverty resulted in economic and social systems that required behaviour that was considered criminal in the Republic to simply survive, these people should not be considered as responsible on the basis that Republic law could not adequately encompass their lived experience to the point it was not applicable by them – they were outside the law because they did not live in a law bound society.  Where this came into contact with Republic law enforcement, to not take this into consideration was to deny the lived experience of the accused and was just as unfair as if a court were to ignore a mental health issue in sentencing. 

Gurrlums rejoinders were just as good though, and by the end the judges and the crowd had agreed with Gurrlums main points based on the consequence notably that it would prove impossible to determined what level of economic disadvantage should be considered given the wide disparities of income across the republic – no one could say where the line should be drawn.

They all applauded, Gurrlum warmly shook Valens hand and whispered to him on a job well done.  Sofa sat slightly shocked, slightly fascinated by him.
She plonked some Bantha stew on her plate and looked around for a seat in the mess hall…she finally settled on the only other person who looked like they were alone, Valens sitting quietly drinking copious amounts of milk while flicking though one of half a dozen datapads.

“Hey,” she said scooting across from him,

“Oh…ummm…hi…sorry I’ll move…”

“What no, it’s fine, why would you think you need to move…”
He looked around confused,

“Oh usually…people want to sit together and I’m in the way or in their spot or something…”
Strange she thought,

“You really did well in the debate today…I thought you should’ve won…”

“huh…yeah thanks…no that’s fine…I don’t like to win any way…”

“Wait why not?”

“Eye of the Vorynx…” she didn’t know what a vorynx was, “Oh its…like if you’re on top, then everyone will be out to get you…”

“Right…that makes sense,” it didn’t really

“Jeez Sofa, the retard…how low can you go,” Bellana suddenly sad coming up behind her with Soresa

“Anything with a phallus….” Soresa added

She was tempted to turn and slap the bitches…but she didn’t need that kind of mark against her name.

“Or digits to get up there!” Bellana chuckled

“Yeah probably a…Frell,” Soresa’s tray suddenly slipped her stew and drink pouring all over her front,

“You nerf header your such a clu…” Bellana’s gloating ended as hers slipped as well…

Daggers from her eyes, Sofa could feel Bellana trying to sense if anyone had done that using the force…but there was no trace to be found.

“Here, let me help you clean up,” Valens said standing to assist them,

“Fine, it’s all you’re probably good for," Bellana commented "I hear most failed padawans end up as janitors,”
****************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2018, 05:08:57 AM »

Rumours - Part 2
[/b]

She sat on the floor of her room, naked and alone, twirling her sabre in her hands, wondering…just wondering what it would feel like…

She paused and pressed the cool metal between her breasts…her finger dancing on the activation switch….wondering just wondering what it would feel like to…

Her comm suddenly chimed, brought out of her almost nightly dance with death she flicked on the screen,

>>To: Neirai.Sofa@ JT.PADAW
>>From: Lyssiason.Valens@ JT.PADAW
>>Thought this might help with your Trials…Sure you’ll get there soon…
>>Don’t listen to those pfassks
Attachment: Trials_Notes.Doc

The attachment was a copy paste job with Valens notes about Jedi trials taken from what must’ve been hundreds of old holo-books…his notes detailed the connecting threads, the most common philosophies tested and the best ways to answer questions.  It must’ve taken him months to do this…odd she never remembered seeing him before the coma…
There was a commotion outside the Gym when she arrived the next morning,

“What’s happening?” she asked Oma,

“huh…oh…check it out,”  
Behind the crowd of amused onlookers a Temple technician with a fusion cutter was slicing one of the ducts from the training course that was stuck on Magin – all that could be seen of him was a pair of legs, the duct looked like it had been fused shut at the end…it was more than big enough for him to fit…yet it looked like it had compressed around him.  Aryck was nearby nursing a bloody nose and a bruised eye where something had smacked him in the face.

“They were in early doing a practice run together…don’t know what happened,”

“Pretty embarrassing huh,” came a familiar voice behind her.

“Deen…” she turned quickly

Nura’n Deen…tall, dark and handsome, they had gone through most of their years together, been slated to take the trials only two day apart till her coma had robbed her of it.  He was Knight Deen now,

“Hey Sof, good to see you again, once you’re done with your lessons why don’t we catch up at the old hang out, I’m only on Cosuscant for a few days between missions,”

“Uh…sure…” she replied as Master Hk’Tn arrived followed by the ever morose Valens.
Fortunately, even after a few months hidden under her bed, the lipstick was still moist enough to go on smoothly.  She dabbed it all off, she couldn’t get caught wearing it in the temple.

The day had been a rush and an eternity at once…she and Deen had been together – well together as two padawan’s could be – before her coma…

He had been one of the few guys who stuck around longer than one make out session…she had even planned after his trial to…well undergo another more personal initiation with him…despite the rumours she’d already frelled half the padawans.  

She frowned checking there was no sleep or anything in her eyes, she hadn’t wanted he reputation she’d gotten, no one would.  She had just wanted someone to talk to, to spoil her a bit…more than a friend…and she’d found it…but as soon as those first few boys had gotten under her shirt…they just kept pushing and she just wasn’t ready…she wanted someone committed to her.  

Every time she’d think this one will be different, and every time it was the same…they’d memorise every detail of her body she’d show them, but wouldn’t know a thing about what she liked, what she thought, how she felt….but as soon as she dumped them the rumours would begin again, that she was just sleeping around, hungry for any kind of male appendage she could get her mouth around…

Pictures, graffiti…and worse the nicknames…Slutfest Sofa, Six Credit Sofa after she allegedly Ryloth-kissed a Sephi who had bought her a Bluemilk shake for six credits.  He had bought her the shake but nothing more than talking happened.

At least Deen hadn’t fallen into those rumours.  She used her comm holo-picter to take a quick photo of herself from behind to make sure she looked ok from all angles. She needed to look like a woman if not a Knight for Deen.

Then the coma…she and Deen had only being going for a few weeks…now everyone assumed that her coma was a cover story - taking advantage or the real coma’s others had suffered- for her and Deen getting caught in the act.

As she headed out Valens was meandering though the quiet halls of the Temple, seemingly fascinated by what looked like an empty old storage room.  

“Hey,” she said,

He seemed not to notice her,

“Hello…Orbital Control to Valens….”

“Huh…oh…sorry I was just watching the Jedi…” she peered into the empty room, there was nothing there at all

“Nevermind…”

“Right, well I wanted to thank you for that info on the Trials, really helpful,”

“Oh of course, no trouble at all…we’ll both be going soon I think…umm you’ve been doing really well in the gym lately…you might want to do more work on your left leg though, you’ve been favouring your right a bit…”

“Umm, thanks I’ll do that,”  

“Oh I uh got you…well not just you…everyone…this…” he fumbled around his robe and pulled out a small badge  with a cute black and white furry creature, an ewok she though with the words “Hug Me I Need Help” on it.

“That’s soooo cute…what’s it for…”

“Oh it’s a fundraising thing for um youth suicide…it’s like…it’s hard for people to admit they have a problem…so you like wear this instead…its easier for younger kids….probably older ones too though….”  

That hit her hard as she remembered the night before…her sabre to her breast…her eyes started to tear up as she looked at the pleading sad little ewok on the badge…black and white…just like her colouring

“Umm…sorry,” she sniffed, “Thanks…that’s really cool,”

“No trouble at all…umm you better go…”

“Oh yeah don’t want to be late!” she said recovering herself.

Only when she was a few corners away did she wonder how Valens had known she was late for anything….he must’ve noticed the make-up…but she’d wiped it off hadn’t she?
The usual place was a quiet part of a nearby mall they’d often hung out together when they got a day off.  Deen was waiting for her, dressed like a dream.

“Sofa…wow you look great,” She’d put on her make-up and tossed off her robe to reveal her more casual two piece outfit as soon as she got past the temple plaza.

“Thanks,” she replied pushing a stray lock from her eyes trying to look sultry,

They headed to the food court nearby as he told her about his missions, so far fairly simple stuff, low levels smugglers mostly.  Still it was so exciting to her stuck in the Temple…she’d been on dozens of missions with Soryu…but to be the one driving it from start to finish no one looking over your shoulder…as much as he loved Soryu…she needed that freedom.

“so how have you been,” he finally turned the topic to her

“Oh me…oh I’m fine, getting there I guess,”

He reached across the table to take her hand,

“I’ve missed you…your face, your voice…everything about you….”

With that she was putty in his hands as they seemingly flew back to the Temple to the Temporary room where Knights stayed between missions.  Sooner than she could consciously take in they were kissing, his hands trailing up her back.

“Maker Sofa…” he whispered into her ear and he tugged at her belt, “You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting for this…”

“Me too,” she whispered,

“You’re mine now Sofa…” he said nibbling down he neck,
“All mine…no more fooling around with little padawans, you’ve got a real Knight to satisfy.”
Everything stopped in her head,
“What…” she felt her self seize up
“What…”
“what did you just say,”
“You’re my girl now,”
“No the bit about padawans,”

“What…just that…I don’t want you making out with anyone else, we should be exclusive,”

“Who said I was making out with anybody!” She said pushing him off,

“Come on Sofa, I’m not deaf, I know what you’re like, but I don’t care, come on…” he pulled her back over,

“No…not until you at least apologise, I can’t believe you believe those rumours,”

“Oh for frells sake Sofa…I bet you weren’t this bitchy with Magin, or Aryck”

She pushed him off again,

“OK I never slept with Magin…Aryck is a perve who felt me up”

“Whatever, I don’t want to talk about this,”

“No I want to talk about this, I want to know what you really think about me!” she started to yell,

“Keep your voice down, someone will hear us!”

“Don’t ever tell me what to do!” She stood up, “I’m leaving, I’m sick of this dren…sick of it…”

He leapt in front of her standing between her and the door, his eyes on fire,

“Would you shut up! You’re sick - I’m sick of this, I’ve waited long enough! Waited while you were unconscious, waited while you were in rehab...now I want something to show for it!”

The content of his words shocked her more than the anger with which he delivered them,

“What you think because you waited you’ve somehow earned having sex with me, is that it! Like just hang around long enough and I’ll pay out!  Go get your lightsabre and shove it up your…”

Her head snapped to the side her cheek flushed and stung from the slap,

“I told you to shut up,” he seethed as he towered over her,

She was in shock she didn’t know what to do…she crumpled t her knees staring at the indifferent ruddy brown floor…
Try and fight back…he was twice her size
Or just give in…play along until she could get out.

The door suddenly whooshed open,

“Oh sorry wrong room….” Came a familiar voice…a pause

“Sofa…are you alright…what’s going on…”

“Get lost you weasley little dren licker before, this is none of your business,”

“Not unless Sofa leaves with me,”

“I told you to get lost or I’ll put your face through the wall,”

“Try it - I dare you,”

She looked up just as Deen smashed Valens in the side of the face with a heavy, no doubt force enhanced, fist.  His head snapped around…then slowly turned back to face him only slightly bruised.

Deen hit him again…and again…and again…every time it was the same…even as the blood dripped from Valens nose he stood his ground indifferent to the punishment.

“Are you finished?” Valens asked with cool detachment…any trace of the bumbling odd outcast she had seen over the last few weeks seemingly gone.

She could feel Deens utter confusion in the force…short of taking a lightsabre to him there was no way Valens was going to back down…yet to do that would end his career and land him in prison.  Yet to let Valens go would result in exactly the same outcome.

The sabre flew across the room, but it wasn’t Deen pulling it…it landed in Valens grip, with unnatural strength he crushed it in his bare hand, metal peeling around his fingers, the crystal cracking with a hideous screech.

Deen just stared at him wide eyed.  Valens crouched a little and offered his hand to her…she grabbed it faster than a Hutt would grab a credit chit.  

As she stood Valens dropped the ruins of the sabre to the floor,

“You ever bother her again, that is what I’ll do to you,”

Deen was visibly shaking as the door slid closed.

She hated it…all of it…

There was no way she could make a formal complaint without getting in trouble herself…She was lucky that Soryu didn’t believe the rumours and after a few training sessions recommended her once more for the trials.  

She wished she could talk to him about it…but she just wasn’t sure how he would take it.  

She flipped the button in her hand, the cute little ewok staring out at her as the winds picked up across the balcony.

She pinned it to her tunic
“Hug Me I Need Help” she whispered along with the poor ewok…

“Uh…are you…” she jumped as the voice startled her,

“Frell, Valens…trying to scare me to death,”

He suddenly looked terribly anxious, “No, sorry, I’ll leave you alone…”

“No wait…” she called,

“Congratulations, I heard you passed the trials!”

“Hmm oh…yeah well…that was…ok…are you…you alright…no one’s been bothering you…”

Oddly no one had, things seemed to have eased off dramatically over the fortnight since Deen left after having to build another sabre, claiming his was ‘lost’, embarrassing for a Jedi…but less than she thought he deserved. It was the rumours, the memory of those rumours that was hurting her still.

“No it’s just…” she looked down at the badge...making her choice she placed it between her fingers and flickered the suns reflection against its glossy surface.

He stood stone still…not seeming to take the hint, she began to worry he thought she was a slut just like everyone else…

“Umm…are you sure…I wouldn’t want to…that is I do want to but…” he struggled with his words,

“I’d never touch you without your permission first,”

He was so sweet!

“ha, fine,” she laughed, “you have my permission to hug me,”

He slowly approached, if she didn’t get up and move toward him it might’ve taken a year for him to reach her…His hug was at best stilted and formal.

“umm…Yoda and I are…going away for a while…” he said as they parted

“But…I was wondering if I could…maybe, with your permission, message you every now and then....”  

“I’d like that,” she nodded,

“We’re not leaving straight away…so…what do you need help with now that I’ve hugged you?” he asked,

As she started talking for the first time ever she felt like she would finally be heard.

****************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

This was really a treat to read.  You're always an excellent writer, detailed, nuanced, and engrossing, but the tone was a departure from what you normally post.  Wonderful!  And who can't relate on at least one level?  Either rumors about you or someone you know can work on even the strongest wills.  I like seeing someone who stands against such, especially in opposition of a majority or what's considered "popular." 

And there's always a bit of wish fulfillment in seeing bad things happen to bad people (although we're often "taught" to have more Olympian views concerning that  Wink).

Still: the humor that you inject: "Six Credit Sofa" (have to love those alliterative names) who "Ryloth-kissed a Selphi"  So appropriate in the SW universe...

But the best part: seeing Valens truly care about Sofa if his efforts are any indication to go by (hopefully he's not motivated by guilt...but that would be ascribing a human set of mores to an Aethan).  Still, THAT is beautiful  Smiley
I really enjoyed this glimpse into Sofa and Valens past LSG!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2018, 02:14:46 PM »

I want to add my thanks.  LSG, this was a great sequence.  We knew Sofa and Valens had a relationship.  Seeing the "mean girls" treatment of the Padawan Pack, though...  :-)  I'm not sure I'm quite ready to buy into that lock stock and barrel, but there certainly would have to be some of that going on, since they're all people.  And people, especially kids, can be very cruel to each other.

The bragging about what happened is also something that is apparently very common.  Guys go out with girls and a quick kiss on the cheek becomes a make-out session and more.   Next thing you know people are talking about how easy a girl is who's never done anything more than maybe be a bit unwise about who she flirted with...

Excellent social commentary!  And again, with this face, if it were the "real" Jedi, I wouldn't like them much.  I find myself more and more agreeing with Jarys: I may be the only father in the universe who is not happy his daughter has become a Jedi...  :-)

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »

Thanks guys.

I want to add my thanks.  LSG, this was a great sequence.  We knew Sofa and Valens had a relationship.  Seeing the "mean girls" treatment of the Padawan Pack, though...  :-)  I'm not sure I'm quite ready to buy into that lock stock and barrel, but there certainly would have to be some of that going on, since they're all people.  And people, especially kids, can be very cruel to each other.

A fair point - my theory was that because the Jedi are completely forbidden from such relationships the mean girls and bragging boys would be even worse than a normal high school setting because there is an stronger element of jealousy and their own repressed feelings being added to their vindictiveness. But yeah might've gone a little far, the Temple is a very artificial place I think and difficult to know just how to write about the inventible social clashes that would occur under the veneer of happy little padawans. 

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »

Thanks guys.

A fair point - my theory was that because the Jedi are completely forbidden from such relationships the mean girls and bragging boys would be even worse than a normal high school setting because there is an stronger element of jealousy and their own repressed feelings being added to their vindictiveness. But yeah might've gone a little far, the Temple is a very artificial place I think and difficult to know just how to write about the inventible social clashes that would occur under the veneer of happy little padawans. 

Oh, I'm not really faulting the way you portrayed it.  :-)  Honestly, Sofa isn't 100% free of guilt either.  She DID flirt, and use make-up, and she WAS seeking a relationship.  Then toss in that we're taking about homone-raging teens in a situation where they're told NO without any good reason or eventual outlet of any kind, and THEN she makes the additional mistake of trying to buy the relationship she's after - companionship - with what she perceives is wanted - sex - and takes the first steps down that road by letting things get way to physical...  Yeah.  Snowball effect.

Its not far from there to having a reputation.  Saw it happen in my own high school.  I think my own experience is just while there would be plenty of whispers there would also be defenders.  Other than a lone voice.  Which would explain why Soryu didn't buy into the rumors.

But its also not surprising that Sofa wouldn't necessarily know about the defenders.  Unlike the detractors, the defenders often operate out of the public eye...

So well written.  :-)  I just like to cling to the idea that, overall, the Jedi would be better than that.  Or at least have more ... proactive supervision.  After all, they're Jedi!  They can READ THESE KIDS MINDS after all!  LOL

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »

Oh, I'm not really faulting the way you portrayed it.  :-)  Honestly, Sofa isn't 100% free of guilt either.  She DID flirt, and use make-up, and she WAS seeking a relationship.  Then toss in that we're taking about homone-raging teens in a situation where they're told NO without any good reason or eventual outlet of any kind, and THEN she makes the additional mistake of trying to buy the relationship she's after - companionship - with what she perceives is wanted - sex - and takes the first steps down that road by letting things get way to physical...  Yeah.  Snowball effect.

Its not far from there to having a reputation.  Saw it happen in my own high school.  I think my own experience is just while there would be plenty of whispers there would also be defenders.  Other than a lone voice.  Which would explain why Soryu didn't buy into the rumors.

But its also not surprising that Sofa wouldn't necessarily know about the defenders.  Unlike the detractors, the defenders often operate out of the public eye...

So well written.  :-)  I just like to cling to the idea that, overall, the Jedi would be better than that.  Or at least have more ... proactive supervision.  After all, they're Jedi!  They can READ THESE KIDS MINDS after all!  LOL

That's cool, I guess I have a less generous view of young Jedi, I imagine any defenders would fear association with her as it would ruin their own chances of getting to the trial - especially with Kimar as Grand Master. Yeah Sofa is her own worst enemy in a way...but her desires are completely natural so in that sense she has a solid defence...she's like the living embodiment of inherent problems with the Jedi's rule against attachment...at least she has Valens in her corner to defend her...

Speaking of I might try and do the events from Valens POV, might be interesting.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2018, 04:34:31 PM »

Interlude: Looking into the Abyss

I paused at the crest and turned to look at the majesty around me.  I was far above the tree line here, and the mountains were white crowned peeks in the crystaline air.  Air which was thin: my lungs burned.  I'd made the climb to this place at a man-killing pace.  I'd done it on purpose, using the force to augment my legs while humming motifs to repair the damage and sooth my lungs.  Even then it had taken hours to make this climb.  The Shrine was far below me, now.  Far from this place.

This darkness...

I sat for moment, meditating.  Still using the force to augment myself as my body recovered from the lack of oxygen.  I wasn't quite at the "death" line.  There was enough oxygen in the air here to keep a person alive.  Barely.  Much higher, though, and I would have needed to augment despite my singing.  No one, no matter how strong, could sustain augmentation for hours and hours on end...  At least, I didn't think they could...  My research into the Ancient One had led me to a very interesting find, however.  Legend had become more - and less.  I had found records of the reality of what had happened on Vyth, as recorded by the sole surviving droid.  It had been ... disturbing. And incomplete.  Parts of the data record had been corrupted by age.  Other historical records concerning the crystal appeared to have been deleted or perhaps altered. The worst were records concerning Kage Dorian and his conflict with The Nameless One.  That record was virtually non-existent, and what was there left to many questions about what really happened, to may unknowns.   I needed answers.  But the one I needed to ask...

Well, it lived here.

I sighed, looking down the mountain, imagining I could actually see the shrine far below.  It seemed every place where the force concentrated there was a dark place, a place where the energy of the force and the melodies and harmonies of the song were twisted and dark and evil.  Balance, many called it.  Good and Evil.  Light and Dark.  But my own study of the Maker and the Universe didn't support this.  Good came from the Maker.  Light came from sources of light.  Evil was ... absence of good.  Darkness was absence of light.  You could flood a room with light, banish every shadow with enough diffusion.  But you couldn't 'fill' a room with darkness - except by removing the light.  Good was the same way.  Good could exist without Evil, but Evil could only exist in the absence of  - and knowledge of - good.  Without Good there was no evil.  But without evil, good still remained. 

Light and shadow.   And this place ... was a deep shadow.

enough philosophy, Karm!  You're just stalling now.  Do what you have to do...

I stood and turned, looking into the cave behind me.  I had been here before, with Master Chillum.  It had been a chilling - and enlightening - experience then.  Memory came, unbidden...

"What's in there?"

A chuckle.  "Only what you carry with you, young one."

"So ... I should l take my weapons Master?  Will I need them?"

"That, my boy, is up to you."

I took the saber off my belt and looked at it, lying in my hand.  I had trained with this new blade extensively since returning the M'Tzigon.  It was strong and true, but it was not the Ancient One.  There was a connection to the ancient crystal that was surpassed what I could achieve with these, even with the new motifs I'd learned.  I looked into the cave again, looked down... 

I dropped the hilt into my pack along with the bulk of my gear.  Today I would not need it.  I looked out over the mountains one more time, breathed a silent prayer for wisdom, guidance and protection, and then turned and walked into the cave.

I didn't have to walk very far.  "So, you finally came.  I wondered how long it would take."

I waited for my eyes to adjust to the darkness.  I was only a few meters in from the mouth, in what was known as "the antechamber".  There were more passages and chambers beyond, but those who came here rarely had to penetrate further than this.  And there she was...  "Really?  Cover yourself, shade, or I will leave."

The ghost giggled.  "But isn't this more ... interesting?"  She stood and stretched, attempting to draw my gaze - and my lust.  Just like the last time...  I simply turned away from her and started to walk back the way I had come.  "Ok, ok...  You win.  Please stay.  Its so ... lonely ... up here, all alone..."

I turned, and saw she was now wearing proper robes.  Jedi robes.  Appropriate, considering her past.  "Thank you."

The Shade smiled a brilliant smile and sat, patting the stone bench next to her.  "For you, my dear Ka'A'Mack, anything."

I stalked back to the center of the room, arms crossed across my chest.  "Liar."

She laughed, a bright, brilliant sound that somehow rang false and empty of mirth despite the show.  "Oh, yes.  I forget.  You know me to well..."  She morphed again, Jedi robes changing to black, hair growing longer and graying, eyes shifting from brilliant blue to blazing yellow.  "Better?"

I stood my ground.  "Still a lie.  I will not be lied to."

The shade sighed.  "Oh, very well..."  her form rippled once more.  Her figure lost its "drop dead" curves and became plain.  Her hair, now brown, gathered into a simple pony tail and hung mid-back.  Her eyes were no longer sith yellow, just very ordinary hazel-brown.  Her face carried lines and wrinkles, the face of a woman past her prime but still hale and healthy.  "Better?  You know how much I hate this face."

Recognizing her now, I uncrossed my arms and sat down across from  her.  "It is not your face that you hate.  Its the truth."

She sighed.  "You are right, of course.  The truth..."  Utter despair crossed her face as she looked at me.  "The truth is all I have here.  That bastard Dorian saw to that!  It wasn't enough to kill me.  No.  He had to lock me up here, cut off from the force, from the song, from everything, with only the truth to keep me company...  Well, Truth and the odd padawan.  And very very occasionally a Master of Song."  She cocked her head to the side, her gaze suddenly piercing.  "So, Master Karmack, what can I do for you today?"

I leaned back, studying the shade.  The holocron buried in the cave was no normal artifact.  It was just what she said it was - a prison.  And a crucible for truth.  It was nigh unto a torture chamber for the shade, as it required it ultimately to face and speak the truth.  Ironically it also had an "escape clause" - a simple way out.  Simple - if only the shade would accept the truth... 

The upshot, though, was that while the shade would try to deceive and dissemble, it was required to be truthful ... when pressed.  "Tell me ... how did Master Dorian defeat you?"

The look of pure rage that passed over her had me mentally alert and defensive.  I felt my entire posture tighten and straighten in a visceral fight-or-flight response that I wasn't quick enough to quell.  But then the moment passed and she smiled, the pleasant demeanor masking the rage still smoking in her eyes.  "Oh, pray tell Master Karmack, why do you wish to know?"  She read my own hesitation and her smile broadened.  "Come now!  Truth for truth."

"Very well.  A ... darkness had shadowed my dreams.  An ancient enemy, though I do not know which one.  I do know it is tied somehow to the Ancient One and those of it's past.  You fought the Kage.  He defeated you wielding the Ancient One.  I wish to know how."

The shade's eyes narrowed.  "Ask Dorian.  He will tell the tale."  Her smile turned shrewd.  "Or maybe...   You can't?  You've lost the Ancient One?"

"Temporarily." I admitted and her cackling laughter echoed in the chamber.  I stomped on the spurt of anger that rose within me.  "I know where it is, and I will recover it.  But for now, the Kage is ... out of reach."

The shade stopped laughing and wiped a tear from her eye.  "Oh.  That is rich.  The greatest singer in centuries, stronger even than Odjina or Klu Xander himself, and you lost it?   Oh, you must tell me the tale!"

"I don't have time..."

"Make time."  her face was suddenly stone.  "I've nowhere to go.  This ... place ... may require truth but it does NOT require dissemination.  I will tell you if you will share the story."

I sighed.  This was all true.  And so I began, telling her of the battle on and over Geonosis, culminating in Ken's death and rebirth, and what we'd determined must have happened afterward.  For her part the shade hung on every word, her eyes bright.  When I was done she looked suddenly wistful.  "This Mendax...  I would love to meet her one day."  She leveled her gaze back on me and her eyes sharpened.  "And you!  How ... un-Jedi like.  The Council will be shocked!"

I grinned.  "Truth, if there were a council.  But the Mak'Tor have been separated from the Jedi and the Temple for centuries now, and the Council..."  no choice, I had to finish, it was the nature of the place.  "The Council, the Jedi, are gone.  Wiped out by Palpatine.  Only the scattered Grays remain."

The shade's face actually fell.  "The Jedi are gone... I knew this.  Yet I forgot."  She sighed.  "I've been locked up for two and a half millenia.  You lose track of the 'when' in a situation like this."  She sat back, her eyes level.  "Thank you for telling me the truth.   Ah, Dorian.  Now THERE was a Master!"  She leaned back, remembering.  "A worthy opponent, that one.  He cracked the code, learned Xander's secret.  When he faced me he had a new weapon: The StarFire."

"Star fire?  He captured ... plasma from a star?" 

She laughed again.  "No, silly!  So literal...  No, Master Karmack.  Your precious Dorian created a new Crystal.  It was Adegan, I think, rather than Kyber, and it blazed the deepest blue I've ever seen.  It allowed Dorian to focus his singing and amplify it by giving him a secondary conduit for the Song.  He could direct its energy without serving as the conduit, as he was forced to do with the Ancient One."  Her face assumed the angry, bitter look again.  "He cheated.  And I didn't realize what he was doing in time, and he defeated me and undid all my glorious work at the Spire.  And instead of  a clean death he locked me away in here..."  Despair returned now.  "Please, Master Karmack. Show an old shadow mercy.  Free me from this hell!"

I sighed, lowered my head.  "I cannot.  You know this to be true." I looked up, met her pleading eyes.  "There is only one way for this to end.  You know what it is."

Defiance filled her features.  "NO!  You lie!  There is another way.  There MUST be!"

I stood and turned to go.  "There is not.  It is the truth.  This play allows no lie."  I stopped at the touch of a hand on my shoulder. 

"Please..." she whispered.  "...at least ... tell me my name?  I haven't heard it spoken in so long.  I know that you've discovered it.  Please ..."

"Accept the truth ... Morrigan.  Accept it and this will end." 

Her hand withdrew and I left, walking back into the light, leaving the shadow weeping behind me. 

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »

Oh I LIKE this Karm!  More backstory of the Mak'Tor and the ancient Kage!  And this cave...trap.  And just who is Morrigan?  I kind of like the parallels to the Oracle of Delphi.  And the...StarFire?  Another mystery to be solved...

The title is perfect!  Of course, the latter part is also and evidently true, in this case, quite literally for Karm...

I hope that we see more of this cave and Morrigan (what a great development!)  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »

Thanks!  The holocron/prison containing Morrigan was originally in a cave on the Spire on Coruscant.  It was one of the relics the Mak'Tor were able to recover when they left.  They took it because the encounter requires a padawan to truthfully face temptation and evil. 

Karmack's return trip to the cave would be highly unusual.  And I have to admit I was inspired by the dark cave on Dahgobah and LSG's trail holocron encounter from his series.  *hat tip to LSG*

As for more about Morrigan... Not sure.  Though I also had the intent of fleshing out the encounter that Dorian had with her on Coruscant...  In case that ever comes up again.  :-)

And you know ... StarFire...

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »

A Dark and Charismatic character...The bad guys are always the best that's why i have no good ones in my stories (Well Sofa is mostly clean)! I can see how this would make a good trial your young Mak'Tor...although there is a cruelty o keeping her locked up like that...But  Karmack should be careful - he may think there is only one way she can get out...but I Guarantee there are others out there who would be very very interested in talking to this Morrigan and would be more than happy to try alternate methods of releasing her that even the Mak'Tor might never have imagined
....And Hell Hath no Fury....

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2018, 10:50:09 PM »

A Dark and Charismatic character...The bad guys are always the best that's why i have no good ones in my stories (Well Sofa is mostly clean)! I can see how this would make a good trial your young Mak'Tor...although there is a cruelty o keeping her locked up like that...But  Karmack should be careful - he may think there is only one way she can get out...but I Guarantee there are others out there who would be very very interested in talking to this Morrigan and would be more than happy to try alternate methods of releasing her that even the Mak'Tor might never have imagined
....And Hell Hath no Fury....

;-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2018, 07:33:57 PM »

The following is a pic of Kazic's two lightsabers:

*************************************************************************************
Interlude-The Anzat’s New Apprentice

Kazic briefly stepped out of the way as a column of TX-130 Saber-tanks cleared the filthy streets of detritus, trash, and persons, his dark gray robes held tightly against him.  Unperturbed, he corrected his pace to allow for the crowding, making sure that he did not accidentally step on anyone.  ...Poor souls… He thought, as he saw several altercations break out over “personal space” and lost items, real or imagined.  As one person next to him—an Iktotchi—was stabbed several times, Kazic tried to help him but he was soon lost under a mob of angry attackers.  Knowing that he could do nothing now, he sighed resignedly and kept moving, always careful of where his boots fell.  Such was the state of affairs at Dalos IV during the first weeks of what was already being called "the Clone Wars."

As he scanned the crowded city of Kavila, the tall interspersed pyramidal buildings held in the oppressive heat of the surrounding jungle making the capital even more miserable, the Gray master thought …Could I have misread the daen nosi or imagined them…?  Witnessing again another two murders in as many minutes, Kazic began to doubt his own faculties.

True, he was old—not “getting,” he was—but he was reasonably sure that he still had his wits about him, moreso than most.  Or so he had thought before the daen nosi had brought him to this Maker-forsaken penal colony of a planet.  Again, he became introspective as he found a relatively empty corner of the street by a waste-compaction facility.

He’d just lost Meerah, his 8th wife, another human.  It had been a good marriage; not as lovingly intimate as his marriage to Saani, his third or as…physical as his fifth wife, J’Axiz’a had been, but…comfortable.  …Strange…he realized, ...I…did love Meerah… Again, Kazic’s heart felt…not sadness necessarily, but certainly the pain of loss.  Meerah had been a good companion in what he had assumed were his twilight years.  Imagine his surprise when he awoke and found her next to him in their shared bed, having died peaceably in her sleep.  At least she would not have to endure the pain of loss…

Kazic Ovarug had lived almost a thousand years, his Anzat ancestry responsible for his long life.  …And a cursed one much of the time… his gray lips scowled beneath his long white moustaches, his closely cut beard also having lost all of the jet-black color from his youth.  Cursed…to have to endure this life alone.  Oh, he’d lived a full and eventful life—enough for ten lifetimes—but in the end he was yet again…alone.  As he’d always feared.

Why?  Why would the Maker punish him?  He knew that he was far from perfect and certainly had more than several lifetimes of blood on his hands but none of it innocent.  Most importantly, he had never given into the temptation of his race’s most prolific vice: the soup.  He’d been tempted—yea, Maker how he’d been tempted—but never once had he succumbed…

And now…this.  Anzati were one and all Force sensitives, especially attuned to the mental aspects of the Force, and Kazic even more than most.  He could see the daen nosi, the “lines of fate” as others would describe them.  They’d been his constant companion—and curse—for all his life always telling him of change, always showing him events of importance and most usually dire.  But one and all, he knew that should he listen and just ignore them, it would be most calamitous.  Still…could he have…misread them?  Admittedly his mental acuity was not what it once was…

He felt a soft touch upon his mind, a sign of warning as three local youths stopped before him as he sat upon a retaining wall separating the walkway from the waste-management vacuoles.  His red eyes alert, his face remained impassive as his flared nostrils helped him determine which was the most healthy and therefore the one most likely to cause the most injury.  For the youth, that was; Kazic had no illusions that he was in bodily danger.  Not from these three.

All disparate species, they were alike in that they were filthy and borderline feral.  Without having to see them, Kazic knew that two of them held old fashioned metallic blades while the third carried a passable vibroblade.  Kazic was not particularly tall, not anymore, but he was still taller than these poor creatures.  But hunger can be a powerful motivator and even a gorog could be brought low by lesser animals, or so he’d heard.  Still…

“Sires.  Would you like to join me at Voyager’s Rest for a meal?” Kazic asked remembering the single halfway decent eatery located in the city proper.  At least the food was edible without the aid of condiments there…

“Gives…gives ‘s yer m’ney, ol’ man!” One of them said in incredibly bad Basic as he(?) brandished the vibroblade, his two confederates threatening likewise.  Kazic sighed.  He knew that he would not need either of his two lightsabers but he was remiss in injuring these poor creatures.  His gray face expressionless, he reached into one of the many pockets of his robe and withdrew his crypto-node, keying it open.  Reaching in, he withdrew all of the chits that he’d traded for credits.

Holding out his hand, he stated nonchalantly, “Here is all the hard currency that I possess.  Please, allow me to treat you all to supper.”  As the last word left his mouth, a gust of wind caught his dark gray robes, exposing the shining silver and black metal of his lightsabers.  As calmly as he could, Kazic wrapped his sleeves around his robes, drawing them closed.

But the damage had been done.

With dreams of avarice in his eyes, the lead youth licked his lips, his cracked yellowing teeth juxtaposed against the purple tongue that flicked out of his mouth.  “…An’ th’ shinies!  Gives ‘s th’ shinies!”  The vibroknife didn’t once waver despite the youth’s skinny arm.

Knowing that he could no longer reason with them, Kazic again sighed.  …I hope that I don’t hurt them too badly… He thought as he stood.  “I am truly sorry but I will not.  They are sacrosanct to me.”  Trying to look unthreatening, Kazic adopted a casual posture.

As the proverbial wheels of the youth’s mind slowly turned, he finally realized that his threat to Kazic had yielded him nothing but a denial.  Blinking his jaundiced eyes, the youth looked to either side of him, nodding to his two confederates.  “Kills h’m!”  And with that, the three lunged with their blades.

Even as old as he was, Kazic knew that they were no match for him.  With economy of movement, he responded with quick, debilitating strikes, intended to shock and not maim.  Unfortunately, one of the knives sliced through his robes, cutting a noticeable hole.  But the blades never touched the Anzat.  A determined set upon his lips, Kazic did a quick succession of jabs, knocking each of the youths out, the last hitting his head on the formex curb with a loud crack.

Inhaling, Kazic kneeled down and opened himself to the Force.  Carefully placing his index and middle finger upon the youth’s forehead, he did a Delve looking to see if there was any danger of concussion or worse.  After a minute, he was satisfied that aside from a headache the youth would be fine.  Scanning around, he saw that everyone had ignored this fight the same as all others.  But before he stood, he made certain to put the chits that he’d given to the youths in their inner pockets.  He knew that it wasn’t much, but it was more than anyone else would give them on Dalos IV.

As his healing ability in the Force was non-existent, Kazic lightly slapped one of the youths awake.  “Here.  Here now.  Look after your two friends.  That’s a good lad.”  Kazic stepped back once he saw that the youth was cognizant enough to stall anyone trying to rob them.  A small smile playing behind his beard and mustaches, Kazic nodded to the youths and turned to leave, drawing his robes closed once again.

Where he found that one of his lightsabers was missing.

Looking down, he saw that it was the dark-metallic saber that had been taken.  …Dammit, Anson’s…he thought to himself.  It must have happened while he was busy checking on the youth…but that meant that the culprit had fast hands.  And audacity.  Focusing, Kazic went through a Retrieval technique, scrutinizing his memory.  …There… He saw from his memory out of the corner of his eye a small, emaciated boy of about 8 or 9 with dark blond hair hurriedly reach and withdraw, the stolen saber clutched to his narrow chest as he adopted a casual appearance while walking away.

Quickly scanning the crowd, Kazic thought he saw a mop of dirty dark blond hair duck down one of the many littered alleyways.  Determinedly, he followed.  Discreetly looking around, he turned the corner into the dark, reeking alley.

And promptly into a deadend.  Nonplussed for a moment, Kazic then gave a small smile.  With the Force flowing through him, he could easily detect several life-signs within the alley, most belonging to vermin.  But one…

“Please, you have nothing to fear.  Come out.  I only wish to have returned to me my property.  If you like, I shall pay you handsomely for it.”  Kazic’s eyes locked onto the very spot he sensed the life-sign.  After a moment, the boy from his memory appeared as if by magic.  Indeed, he was thin, his skin a palor of gray not unlike Kazic’s.  But unlike the Anzat’s, the boy’s pigmentation was from lack of nutrition and not genetics.  But that was not what Kazic noticed most about him; it was his eyes.

The boy had piercing hazel eyes, red around the pupil surrounded by brown and rimmed with green.  And although he was afraid, he controlled it well.  “H’w much?”  The boy’s voice squeaked.  

It took Kazic a moment to understand.  “…Oh, you mean how much will I pay you for it?  How much do you want?  A fiver?  A tenner?”  Kazic’s arms were held outward, palms up so as not to look threatening.  The boy’s eyes squinted, looking the Anzat up and down.  And then Kazic felt it.

The boy was attempting to Delve him with the Force!

“That’s an interesting ability for an eight-year old boy.” Was all Kazic could think to say, so shocked was the Gray master.

For the first time, the boy looked angry.  “I’m almost thirteen!”  His fist pounded his narrow chest for emphasis. …Of course, malnutrition…he thought.

Amazed, Kazic became introspective once again.  …Is…is this what the daen nosi wanted for me to see…?  Mentally nodding his head, Kazic thought that it must be so…

“Look out!”  The boy’s high-pitched scream sobered Kazic, bringing him out of his ruminations.  With instinct honed by experience he moved, seeing the one youth that he’d just helped trying to stab him in the back.  Pivoting his body, Kazic evaded the attack and quickly struck the youth with a jab to his throat.  At the very last instant, Kazic pulled his punch so as not to kill but it dropped his would-be attacker to the ground.  The youth was no longer a threat but Kazic still went over to him.  Again, Delving with the Force, the Anzat spoke one word as a command: “Sleep.”  Instantly, the attacker fell into a deep slumber.

Turning his head, Kazic looked at the boy.  “Why did you warn me?”  His red eyes stared into the boy’s strange hazel ones.  “You could have escaped.”

Again, showing none of the fear that he felt, the boy merely said, “You didn’t d'serve that.  ‘Sides, you owe me money for th’ shiny.”  He shook Anson’s lightsaber as if to illustrate.

“Ah, yes.”  Kazic smiled.  “About that: I seem to be…short on funds.  But I can do you one better.  How would you like to leave this place?  Live somewhere much better?”  Kazic went down to one knee, careless of the water that soaked his robes.  More importantly, he opened his mind to the boy.

And either with instinct, practice, or luck the boy Delved into Kazic’s mind seeing the sincerity of his offer.  After a moment the boy nodded his head, handing Kazic back Anson’s saber.

Attaching the dark metallic hilt to his belt, Kazic stood searching through his food capsules to share with the boy.  As he greedily ate the proffered food, his gaze never once left the venerable Gray master’s face.  For his part, Kazic smiled, thanking the Maker for this turn of events.

And as Kazic lead the boy through the crowd back to his ship, he looked into strange hazel eyes, eyes that felt somehow…comfortable for him to see.  And he asked, “Boy, what is your name?”

Between chewing and swallowing the boy intoned a single word while they walked.

“Zearic.”

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: