Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 146780 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2018, 01:45:05 AM »

Jan and Jace...Jaina and Jacen...The way it wasn't...or isn't any more...

"Nor is she alone in that... Blain reflected, grinning.  And she could do far worse for a role model!"
could she indeed...what a reputation Karmack must have...interesting possibilities...

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »

Something I forgot to slip into this tidbit: Part of Jan's training was handled by Karmack during one of his teaching rounds.  "Micro-kinetics"...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »

I like this interlude as a window into the Mak'Tor "rank and file!"  I've always liked these different perspectives, especially as they pertain to the main characters  Smiley

darn it, I wish I would've thought of that... Wink

And I think that Blain put it best: "Oh yes.  This is going to be fun..."  Grin

BTW: LOVE the title Karm!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2018, 04:26:41 PM »

LOL   Well, you know what they say....  Jokers are wild.  ;-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »

LOL   Well, you know what they say....  Jokers are wild.  ;-)
Oooh!

POINT for that one my good sir  Wink

Dammit! I wish that I would have thought of that too  Grin

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »

Don't you dare take it!  Its the title of one of my in progress stories...  ;-)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »

Interlude: Tears of the Singer

I finished my warm-up stretching and grabbed my water bottle.  Zearic was also finishing up, flowing through his own final warm-ups and I took a moment to look around the salle.  Across the way I saw Talia Cam working out with one of the practice sabers, her activities guided by Koawan Tores, one of the saber instructors.  The teacher in me noted that her Shii Cho techniques were looking very good but her flow was still a little mechanical.  Before I could even be temped to say anything, though, I heard the same observation voiced by Tores.  

Watching her, I was struck by the memory of her late husband, Illian, and his teacher Master Jothan.  A wave of sadness overwhelmed me as it finally penetrated that Illian's death meant that the last member of the last remnant of the old Jedi Order had perished.  The Jedi were truly dead.  Intelligence reports indicated that a member of the Rebel Alliance, Commander Luke Skywalker, appeared to also be a Jedi and had perhaps been trained by Yoda or Obi Wan Kenobi, but all reports agreed that Kenobi had died on the first Death Star over Yavin IV and Yoda had perished in exile.  If Skywalker were a Jedi, he was well and truly the last of his order in the universe.  Vader had been far to efficient in the job the Emperor had given him.  Only the mysterious, cryptic warning sent to them from Vyth had driven the the Mak'Tor far enough underground soon enough to avoid the same fate, and even now the remnants of the Inquisitorious were a constant threat and thorn in their side.

I sighed and let my thoughts turn inward momentarily.  There were new disturbances in the force.  Ripples in the song that bespoke destruction and sorrow.  Not a total destruction or complete sorrow, but something very, very bad.  It sounded very much like the song of the Unnamed One, the Dark Song that had nearly overwhelmed the Mak'Tor and subsumed the Spire when Dorian was guardian.  It was one reason I had re-visited the cave, spoken with Morrigen, the "Unnamed One".  To reassure myself that she was in fact still trapped in her puzzle-box.

She was.  For now.  But there was something coming.  Something ... formless and elusive.  Something dark and dangerous and deadly...

"Penny for your thoughts?"  Zearic interjected.  "You look like you're a thousand light years away my friend."

I shook my head and grinned wrily.  "Just thinking about abscent friends."  I tipped my head toward Talia, still working out across the gym.

Zearic followed my gaze and his own face turned briefly serious.  "Yes."  Shadows played briefly behind the big man's eyes as his own ghosts paraded past.  "Unfortunately loss is a part of this life.  Maker knows why."

"Yes, He does.  Now, are you ready to lose?" I clapped him on the shoulder, grinning.  

"Always."  he stepped back into a ready stance and ignited his saber.  "Fortunately, I won't have to exercise that readiness today."

"Oh, is that how it is?" I grinned and ignited my own saber, flourishing it briefly.  The golden blade hummed through the air in satisfying harmony to the battle song I sang into existence around me.  Even on the low-power "practice" setting there was something far more intimate about fighting with my own blade, in tune with my song.

Zearic was also using his primary blade, the brilliant blue also set at a low-power practice level that would still leave nasty welts and burns but wouldn't do any real damage to person or equipment.  Still, the consequences of taking a strike were far higher than with the practice sabers we usually used to spar.  But this kind of full-contact, full power sparring was the only way to really practice combat.  We didn't do it often, but when we did...

Zearic struck first, moving like lightning, and I spun into the slightly modified Soresu dance that had become my primary form.  As a Water Warrior, Zearic moved with fluid grace.  I knew he'd been working with Kage Lo, who was a high ranking Water Warrior, but he'd also worked with the leading Masters of his own Order and his style, while stressing the agility and flexibility of the Water Warriors, was also infused with the physical power of his size.  It was a formidable combination.

I did my best to flow with him, and something that the Kage had told me once echoed in my mind: The water warrior seeks to flow, to move like water.  Water flows.  It is graceful.  It is powerful.  It is relentless and unforgiving.  

But it can be channeled.

As we moved, I followed the flow of Zearic's form.  He's recently been promoted to "Master of Water" and his mastery showed.  His movements were smooth and flowing, his patterns unpredictable and almost random. His attacks were lighting-fast and relentless.  But there was a pattern: He was moving, flowing, always looking for the opening.  Always primed to find the chink in his opponents form - and exploit it.

So we build the channel...  I let a tiny break in my form slip in.  It was almost invisible, a tiny flaw in the parry of one of his strikes.  In a moment the opportunity was gone.  We moved through more clashes, more orbits, and after a few moves I did it again.  

And again.

And again.

Each time, the chink was tiny.  A minuscule window where my left side could be opened up for a lighting-fast thrust, my blade just out of position to block.

And again...and this time Zearic seized the opportunity.  His pattern shifted and with full commitment he thrust high inside my guard, drawing my blade high - before snapping back and snaking in toward my suddenly wide-open ribs.  Because of the way my small form break caused me to rush the high parry I simply could not get the blade back down in time to block this strike.

But I could get my hilt in place ... just.

Unlike most sabers, I had shrouded my hilt with song-steel.  It wouldn't take more than three or maybe four strikes, but it would take those three or four.  Snapping back, I blocked Zearic's low strike with the pommel end of my hilt, adding a force push to the emitter to push his blade away and turn it back out.  At the same time I spun, slamming my elbow into Zearic's sternum.  I pulled the strike at the last second, stunning rather than debilitating, but the strike still drove the air out of the big man's lungs and froze his diaphram for a few seconds, depriving him of air.  Again aided by a strong push from the force I hammered him backwards a step, still turning, and slammed my bladed left hand into the nerve plexus just inside Zearic's right elbow.  This strike I did NOT pull, and Zearic's right hand went numb as the strike went home.  He lost his grip on this saber and I finished my turn, my own blade retracted now, and slammed a punch into Zearic's chest.  Zearic absorbed the hit and somersaulted backward, ending several paces away in a low front-stance, his hand already reaching for his back-up hilt.

I grinned at him.  "Lose something?"  I reached down and called his hilt to my left hand...

Darkness...  I was in a cave, the light dim.  And the song...  The song was filled with pain.  Betrayal.  Defeat.

Death.

I stepped carefully, gripping my saber.  The air reverberated with the back-wash of power.  There were bodies everywhere, mangled, dismembered...  Blood soaked the floor and spattered the walls, which were themselves scarred with burned-out tracks where plasma seemed to have played over the surface, charred lines connecting empty sockets where light-blue crystal shards winked.  There was also technology in the room, a central dais with a holoprojector and communications array.  Computers.  Work stations.  A massive divot of bent plating and shattered electronics marked the central projector, the cavity smeared with blood...

"I died there."  

I whipped around, startled.  "What?  Who are you?"

The person standing before me was Twi'lek.  He wore gray robes and the badge of the Mak'Tor Kage...  "You know who I am."

"Master Odjina?"  I felt the song rising.  The joy and welcome of the opening phrases transitioning into the minor keys of suspicion and betrayal.  "Master, I don't know how this is possible, but..."

"You must warn them.  Warn Soryu.  This ... imposter ... is no Jedi.  Nor Sith.  He is immensely powerful!  Listen to the song!  You will hear it.  Then warn them!"  The spectre was reaching out to me now, pleading with me.  "You must!  Before it is to late.  Before Kimar makes his final, fatal mistake..."

The Song swelled, almost painful in its frenzy as it exploded into conflict.  Back and forth, the melodies dueling, one light, one dark.  Justice vs Vengence.  Hope and Love vs Pain and Hatred.  And as I listened, I could see them...

Odjina, locked in combat with another man...  He wielded a green light saber and wore Jedi robes, but force lightning danced over his body, forming a personal shield and the pure amount of raw power he was pouring out was incredible!  The Kage was matching him blow for blow, his own battle song augmented and attenuated by the crystals...

The crystals.  I turned my back on the spectres as they battled and touched the cold, dead walls.  The walls were covered in blackened, charred pockets with tiny crystal fragments...

I stepped back, merging with the projection, the memory of the song, and looked back at the walls.  Walls filled not with empty pockets, but with hundreds of small, blue crystals, each one a frosty white-blue color, glowing with power in the walls of the cavern as Odjina used them to attenuate his song.

I turned again, looked at the warriors as they hammered away.  Odjina's opponent was on the defensive now, blocking, moving...  

No.  Not defensive.  Changing tactics...  The song shifted, spiked, a frenzy of arpeggios as lightning again hammered out - this time aimed at the walls.

The dark warrior figured it out.  Systematically he destroyed the crystals that Odjina was using to match his power.  And slowly Odjina weakened, until he was no longer able to handle the force energies with his flesh alone.  He stumbled.  Was struck.  

He fell.

The song descended into a song of death, of defeat, but there were under-currents.  All was not lost...  The warrior ended the fight.  The song settled somewhat, but it was not over yet.  Under it all there was a melody.  I felt my eyes widen as I listened to it.  Recognized it.

It was my song...

No.  Not mine...  One very like it.  Odjina,his shade fading now, swirled into being next to me.  "Yes, you hear it.  Valens could not destroy it.  Could not hear it.  His ears were numb to the still, quiet melody that underpinned it all.  Look ... and live."

I watched as a child crept out of the shadows, approached the dais, snatched up a saber.  She ignited it, and I recognized its harmonies.

The Ancient One!

The warrior ... Valens? ... turned, moved, knelt before her.  I could feel the conflict in him.  The killer ... did not want to kill again.

"Are you going to fight me Ha’Ona’Mack?"

"You're a Sith, you're evil." She said, her voice trembling.  Her eyes were stained with tears but they were steady now.

The warrior considered it.  "Yes, yes I am." He said, but Karmack knew he was lying.  Whatever he was, he was not simply a follower of Sith teachings.  He looked human ... but he wasn't.  

The warrior, the one Odjina's shade called Valens, gave instruction to the droid with Ha'Ona'Mack and allowed them to leave.  With the Ancient One...

Odjina was there again, speaking again.  "There.  There is the key.  The Song of this place, ALL of the songs of this place, are imprinted in the Ancient One.  It speaks to you. You must unlock its secrets.  Learn its ways.  And warn them!  Warn Kimar, he is playing with fire!  It will burn him in the end..."

I turned and looked at Odjina.  "Kage ... I..."

"Warn him!"  The shade gripped my arm.  "You must!  Karmack!  You must!

You must!

You must...

"Karm, you OK?"

I started and jumped back with a cry, flinching away from the hand on my arm.  "What ...  Where am I?"

Zearic stood still, his hands up and open to me.  "Karm...  You're in the training salle.  We were in the middle of a duel.  You pulled a really sweet move on me, picked up my saber and then just ... blanked out."

I blinked.  Looked around the room.  Looked down at Zearic's saber, still clutched in my left hand.  "How long?"

Zearic shrugged.  "Maybe thirty-fourty seconds?  Long enough to notice."  

I looked around the room.  Duels had stopped.  Koawan Tores had broken off his work with Talia and taken a few steps toward us.  Others were looking at us ... no, at me, with looks of concern.  I raised my hand and waved.  "I'm fine.  Just an ... unexpected reaction to a crystal.  Please, go back to your workouts."

I glanced around, waited for everyone to turn away and go back to what they were doing.  I could still hear it, the Song of Vyth, echoing from the crystal in Zearic's saber.  Why now?  Why not before?

Zearic stepped up close, his hand closing over mine.  "Karm, what's going on?"

I looked down at him.  "I wish I knew.  I just had a very ... disturbing vision."  I placed the saber in his hand.  "Zearic, I want to know everything you can tell me about this crystal."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »

Oh YES!

This Interlude was DOUBLY great!  Karm's vision of Odjina's valiant stand within the permafrost cave against Valens AND Zearic getting another beat-down  Wink

Glad that Karm can hear the Song; now he just needs to get the Ancient One back... Looks like Mellichae is going to have to grow eyes in the back of his head  Grin

And I always enjoy how you tie-in the narrative to canon.  I've said it before: these stories&characters SHOULD be canon!

I can't WAIT to see where this leads Karm!  Chalk up another enjoyable installment  Smiley

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2018, 11:49:35 PM »

Echoes of a painful past, calling into a future, without understanding that time has passed.  A whole wide galaxy and yet events keep spiraling into one another in a web tied with mysterious strings.  The differing perspective to an already gripping battle, and the desperate plea of a doomed man, to save friends, even ones where forced to be party to his exile, artful, truly.  As well, I can't help but feel as though a part of the song echoing currently should or has to be, "It's a small world, after all..."

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »

As well, I can't help but feel as though a part of the song echoing currently should or has to be, "It's a small world, after all..."

Umm.....  That tune is actually the core melody that underpins EVERYTHING else....  ;-)

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2018, 12:26:49 AM »

Umm.....  That tune is actually the core melody that underpins EVERYTHING else....  ;-)

Meanwhile, the melody of the Rebellion is "Killing in the Name Of' by RAtM...  Tongue

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2018, 12:42:19 AM »

Tragedy upon tragedy…Odjina demanding Karm warn people who are long long dead about a threat that Died (?) long ago….
It’s an interesting situation, in what does Karm do…he must know everyone Odjina is talking to him about is dead…whatever happened has long since past…does he just keep chasing these shadows or focus on the shadows (i.e. Morrigan) that he knows are real…or will he draw a connection between them?

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »

That's the big question.  :-) 

Honestly, as a writer, that's one thing I have to be careful about - not giving a character to much information.  At this point, I think Karmack would be saddened by the fact that the message was never able to be delivered, particularly in light of what is (likely) about to happen in that timeline to the Jedi.  But having a more complete record of what happened on Vyth will tweak the historian buried within him, and this also ramps up the urgency to recover the Ancient One.

So I think that will be his focus: Recover the crystal and learn from it. 

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2018, 05:57:30 AM »

Interlude
Watchers
This story occurs two days after the events of Shadow Etude Chapter 14/ Wind Chimes Chapter 16 Contrapasso.  Also see Interlude-The Zabrak’s Tale and a Master’s Lesson (post 133 on the Interludes thread) and post 201 for more background - Interlude post 124 Scraps occurs shortly after this.

They had arrived at the hive spire about two days after the combatants had all gone.  The caverns and halls were cracked and collapsing from the energies that had been unleashed here…the very energies that had attracted them.

He stood in the centre of the chamber the oblivion black sphere in his hand recorded the echoes of the fight that had occurred mere days ago in painstaking detail for analysis once they returned home.

“Is that Iphosies?” he said, even concealed as they were by cloaking devices and aetheric barriers they would not speak their true names off world, he pointed to the Black-Stone dagger the large one called Zearic had used to kill the Night Sister, replaying the twirling throw that planted it in her skull,

She knelt where he had dropped it during the fight inspecting its echo in the past,

“Must be…she said she left one on Dathomir…quite a journey to get here no doubt” she gave a knowing smile…yet she could feel his concern in the aether

“Oh don’t be such a worrier, what’s the worst that he can do with one dagger,”

He didn’t reply…just brooded…she’d have to work that worry out of him later on.

“Impressive, the singer,” he said through their helmet comm, both were fully armoured as per protocol whenever they were off world…for protection and discretion.

She nodded, “It’s been a long time since we’ve seen one that strong…” she knelt where the singer had fallen after giving his all to heal his friends and attack his enemies, looking at the image of his face, the echo was still clear and sharp so soon afterwards, she noted every detail.

She felt a slight tremor off him

“You’re worried he’ll unlock the crystal,” she strode back toward him and trailed her armoured fingers across his shoulders…the sensation would be lost against his armour…but the proximity might settle him

“He’s already interfered with the Spire on Coruscant…”

“hmmm” something out of the corner of her eye caught her attention
“There the Zabrack…” he was opening the Singers forgotten sabre as the Hapan and the Ferroan clashed

“Ha ha, clever thing took the Rur and the Ancient One…nothing to worry about”

He shook his head,

“The Mak’Tor won’t let it go that easily…” 

“We could intercept it if you’re that worried…”

He paused for a few bats too many as the last of the battle was recorded, the emaciated Ferroan flailing into a side cavern after being beaten by the Hapan, then crushed beneath a torrent of rubble.

“No…he won’t stop till he has it…I know what Mack Clan members are like…I’d rather him chasing the Zabrack than us…and even if the old crystal leads him to Vyth all he’ll find are ruins…speaking of…”

She turned in confusion, he guided her attention to the rubble…beneath it a dark…thin beating…life amidst the static rocks…Hate…hate sustaining life…how very Sith.

“Well…someone doesn’t want to die…” she noted, “we don’t have much time…”

She immediately sent a healing flow into the being, he soon joined her, it wasn’t much for now – any more would be pointless given the rocks would just crush the body back down - but it would sustain the creature until they could get a med-pod down here.

“This could be useful…but might spread us thin…I’ll have to have Cha handle her,”

He was right…it was a resource they couldn’t pass up…but they were spread thin…industrial capacity boosting the Sons…the fleet keeping watch on the increasingly erratic Imperial remnants who were sniffing around the deep core for places to hide…their agents taking advantage of the post Palpatine chaos to raid his Vaults and museums…now the Mak’tor getting ambitious just to top it off.

“I don’t think this Karmack or Zearic will appreciate our charity toward this particular individual…” she noted with a smile

“We can’t be held responsible for what she does after we heal her…still we do need to keep a closer eye on both of them…”

He turned to review once again Karmacks last song before he fainted into a coma from the exertion

“I’ve seen a true Master Singer…” he noted mostly to himself as she draped herself behind him supportively,
“And you are not a true Master Ka’Ah’Re’Mack…not yet…”
***************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2018, 07:09:26 AM »

Hints at truths and truths shining bright, which is why they are hidden in craft and armor so black as to draw the light from about them...  The dance card becomes more and more complex, while the floor seems to both spread and shrink at the same time.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: