Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 146403 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

YES!!

Wonderful LSG!  Just wonderful  Cheesy

You truly improved upon the scene!  This Interlude is most definitely one of my favorites!  All that's left to say is "thank you!"

Well...one more:

Let's get it on!  Grin

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2018, 02:21:14 PM »

That was amazing.  :-)  Simply amazing...

So...   There's apparently some advanced training course or extension module I need to sign Karmack up for...  Hmm...

Maybe.  Yes.

Introductory class: Dantooine.  Self-paced study.  Risk of death and dismemberment.

Perfect.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:56 PM »

Friends - Part 1
This Story Occurs Approximately 1 year after the Events of A Tarnished Knight, Shortly Before Shadow of the Outcast.
He had two messages on his comm, one from the Grand Inquisitor requesting he return to the Imperial Citadel on Byss to discuss his most recent mission, the second from his brother suggesting he NOT return to Byss if he wished to remain the second most handsome man in the galaxy.

A bloody hyper drive malfunction…something as simple as that had let the Jedi slip away from his grasp…he’d severely punished the technician who was meant to keep his ship in good order, but any failure was reflected on him personally in the end…

So he sat on a bar on Nar Shadda sipping a Ryloth Twilight musing on how someone else - probably that jumped up Rowahn who styled himself as ‘Darth’ - would take the glory and the head of that Jedi he had lost, and wondering what next to do with his life…

He couldn’t go back to the Inquisiton, or Imperial space for that matter…join the Rebels maybe? Ha bunch or terrorists had no hope in the end…Maybe he could Find something at Nadia and Anton’s…erggh..too much chance of be recognised by some ex-Jedi who’d gotten away from him…He was down to his last 200 credits, so couldn’t even drink himself to death….

He did have some information on the Inquisitors that might be valuable to …someone presumably…but no idea who to sell it to…he spent his time killing former Jedi and hunting informers, not talking to them…

He idly stared up at the bored twi’lek dancing girls, wearing clothing that was a insubstantial and stingy as the napkins here…maybe he could get work as a mercenary or a Bounty Hunter…or maybe just put his sabre to his temple and quit the whole damn race.

As he nursed the last drops of his drink a waitress appeared and plopped another one beside him,
“Huh…” he came out of his reveries, “I didn’t order…”
“From him,” she pointed to the corner where a man with ash blonde hair was watching him, the man gestured to the empty seats in his booth by way of invitation.

Figuring why the hell not Nimmin Cha swaggered up on wobbly legs and glided over, plonking down beside his benefactor.

“Thanks chum,”  he said taking a deep swig of his fourth Ryloth Twilight in as many half hours,

“You’re welcome,” the blonde man gestured to the waitresses and brought two girls, a light blue Twi’lek and a silver haired human over, he pointed at Nimmin and the ladies began fawning on him. 

“You’re Welcome!  To what do I owe this…generosity?”  he asked as the twi’lek began to lick his ear with seductive and sloppy laps.

“A proposition,” the blonde man replied, he had an odd accent, slightly archaic like he stumbled out of some Old Republic Theatre group.

“My ears are wet with anticipation, HA!” he blurted at his own joke.

The Blonde man offered a thin smile,

“I’m looking for information on the Imperial Citadel on Byss…I understand you might be able to help with that,”

That took him aback…

“I, well, I’ve visited there before…” was this some kind of test, an Imperial Loyalty Officer come to finish him…he didn’t look like Sinjin Rath Velus interrogator extraordinaire…he reached out gently in the force…but…nothing…

“No doubt…how does 5000 credits sound?”

The human girls hand ran up along his thigh,

“Feels…Sounds….good…”

“Well I’ll give you 10,000 if you assist us this once…even more if you wish to enter our employ full time Nimmin Cha,”

That startled him “How did you….”

“You’re in no danger from me Cha,” he placed a bag of twenty 500 Credit Chits on the table along with a datapad.

“These are the schematics of the Citadel…all I want to know is where they bring the bodies of Jedi they recover in, which hangar…”

He stared at the screen…how in the Force did he get this….and why would he want to know…

“Don’t worry," the man giggled in an oddly feminine way
"Just point it out and you’ll get the credits,” he was too drunk to realise the blonde man had just read his thoughts…he scrolled through and found it,

“Hangar 14-B…some time 14-C…for larger ships, open dock 3-F,” he said absently,

“Excellent, the Credits are yours, and as a token of good faith, the girls are paid for along with a room upstairs and all you can eat or drink for a fortnight…,”

With that he stood and left, the Twi’lek pulled his head towards hers and planted a luscious wet kiss, as he pulled off to try and follow the blond man had vanished completely…
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ugghhhh” too many Tatooine Twin Suns he thought as he threw up the nerf burgers from last night into the refresher. 

It was a shabby room that stunk of booze, sweat, sex and vomit…all of which he had added considerably to over the last fortnight…the blonde man had been as good as his word, he’d had the run of the place for two weeks of blissful hedonism…no doubt he’d have to pay for it one way or the other…but he had a plan for that, he’d blow his own brains out.

He struggled back up and rinsed his mouth out, the two girls were flopped on the unkempt bed, he smiled…he wasn’t worried about dying now, he had thoroughly fulfilled all his debauched fantasies and would now die doing what he loved, getting soused and using women.

His parents…his brother…had always been ashamed of him…well his parents would be ashamed of both of them…the fallen stars of the House of Cha…his brother had twice the ambition and half the skill…always hanging around with Gaetana, Rowahn and the like…he had twice the skill but his ambitions were pointed in a different direction…

“You’re truly a good for nothing Nim, if you spent a tenth of the effort you do on drinking and whoring on actually working, you’d give Rowahn a run for his money,” Namman had said…he had brushed it off…what was life without having a good time…Namman’s ambition would get him killed one day….still his brother had at least taken the time to warn him not to come back to Byss….

The alarm beside the bed blared in a horrid squeaky tone, rousing the girls.  He flopped down on the oddly wet lounge as they scraped up their tattered clothes and headed off…all his time was used up…he watched them leave without a word. 

Lurching up he went through his pack to pull his sabre, double ended redder than a Laigrek’s eye.  He lay back on the bed and pressed the emitter to his forehead,

He thought about writing some death poem, or saying something profound…all that came was a bile tasting burp. He hit the activator.

The snap hiss of the sabre erupted lighting the room in a red glow…yet his hands were now empty.  He flopped up and saw the blonde man standing at the foot of his bed his sabre in his hand.

“Enjoy yourself Cha?”  he asked inspecting the glowing blade,

“Right up till now…” he replied groggily,

“Good, there is more where that came from…” he deactivated the sabre and tossed it back to him,

“What do you want?” Cha asked cradling his sabre uncertainly wondering how the blonde man had taken it from him without him noticing…

“It’s very simple…my family doesn’t have a lot of friends outside our home world, but we like having friends, we love our friends, we don’t let anyone hurt our friends,” 

Cha couldn’t sense any deception in what he was saying, but he might be too hungover to really notice

“And we give our friends gifts, whatever they like the most…and we believe friends should help friends, so we like our friends to help us from time to time,”  he leant forward in the way a woman usually would to show off her cleavage…weird…

“And we would like you to be our friend Nimmin Cha,”

Oh stars…this was some kind of weird religious cult….he could see it now…they were about to tell him how now he had fallen into the depths of Sin they would raise him back up to righteousness and eternal life or some rubbish.

“Ha nothing like that, get dressed and I’ll show you,” the blonde man said somehow picking up on his thoughts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having nowhere better to go he followed the Blonde man…was he blonde…his hair seemed to flicker to dark occasionally…and his fancy suit seemed immune to the smoke and steam as the headed through the street vendors, then up the turbo lifts to a ‘nicer’ part of the city.

They headed toward the top of a large opulent tower where the best and most successful hutts and crime lords lived. 

“In here,” the man said as the turbo lift doors opened.  Past an entrance was a large open area…at least three stories high all internal walls and ceilings had been removed and replaced with…

“What is this…are you Rebels?”

“Nothing so political,” the dozen or so black armoured figures in the vast room turned to regard him, a few waved from amongst the tonnes of crates of munitions, credits, computers…it was bizarre…a rebel base in the heart of Nar Shadda’s richest district. 

“Not a base…merely a staging area…somewhere for our friends to get together and keep things…we don’t’ really like it here…but we like our friends to be comfortable.”

He turned to…he wasn’t blonde anymore…or a man…a figure in black armour now stood beside him, the hips and bust distinct enough beneath the rich black plating to make out a feminine figure.

“Who. Is. We.” He asked carefully and slowly,

“Open yourself to the force,” 

He thought he already was….but he sensed nothing,

“No…feel every current of existence, not just the bright lights Sidious has you learn…”

Against his better judgement he closed his eyes and reached out to the depths of the force and felt…

Had he not passed out he would've screamed.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2018, 10:40:15 PM »

Deeper and deeper the badger's den goes, for what seemed the hole of a rabbit, is much more deadly, and darker besides.  Vice is such a succinct way to garner tools, when those tools will do for the jobs assigned.  Gears turn, springs unwind, and the strange clock counts the moments towards what end, remains unseen...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2018, 11:08:43 PM »

ANOTHER TREAT?!

LSG, this was fantastic!!  I love all of the (organically mentioned) easter eggs  Smiley   The decrepitude, the apathy, the seedy nature of Cha and his forlorn existance, to say nothing of the Nar Shadda underworld.  You truly are a master scribe my friend!

I'm just wondering how Nimman Cha got the special attention of...them  Wink  Seriously, this story just BEGS to be written/read!  What truly wonderful content that you've given us!  And Cha's utter despair, then acceptance, and finally...action.  And for what endgame? 

I don't know but I'm dying to find out!!  AWESOME installment LSG!  Can't WAIT for Part II!!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2018, 11:17:36 PM »

Well, the brother has emerged.  And in the employ of the Oblivion Gang.  This could be ... troubling ... for the man who killed his brother.

Awesome interlude, LSG!  Thanks again.  Another great entry! 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2018, 07:06:17 PM »

Note: This scene should be placed the night immediately after Ken and Jorya depart for their mission to the Sons of Kessel, as recounted in the thread titled "The Gray and the Unchained: The Cost of Freedom".
   http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37226.0
          The memory reference is from "Wind Chimes / Shadow Etude" - specifically the final battle in "Shadow Etude". 
   http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36277.0  and   http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36185.0

** Introspection **

It was late.  Very late.  But my mind would not rest.  Instead it struggled, rolling around and grappling with that great and utterly imponderable question: "Why?"

Maker why?  Why did it happen?

I shuddered as my mind, stalled and fixated to the point of obsession, began the sequence again. Ken, rescuing Jorya.  Zearic holding her, his eyes pleading.  Singing the song of healing.  Ken's question...

And then the angry red saber, abruptly cutting off Ken's arm, emerging from his chest, burning his life away as I watched, helpless...

No, not helpless...

The song that erupted was a healing song, but it was a deeper, more powerful motif than I'd ever sung before.  The song had flowed through me, through the Rur, and out into the pontite, filling the room with power.  It had been deeper and broader than anything I'd ever encounter before.  The energy had engulfed Ken, actually rebuilding his body.  It had done the same for Jorya and Zearic, totally healing horrible wounds.  For them it had been a soothing, healing flow.

For me it had been hell.  The power had burned through my body and mind like raw, untamed electricity.  Where it had healed the others, it had slowly torn the very core of me apart.  I held onto the motif as long as I could, watching as Ken's body regenerated.  All I wanted was to restore my son ... and in the end I had failed to complete the task, leaving him with a stump below his right elbow.

And then I had collapsed.  And in the collapse I'd lost the Ancient One, the core fragment of the shattered Rur, and left my son and companions open to further attack.  But why?  Why was the flow, healing energy for everyone else, even the Zabrek Mellichae, deadly to me? 

Maker help me, I don't understand...

I thought I'd dealt with the aftermath already, in the months since Geonosis, but seeing Ken leave on his first mission had dredged open the wounds, re-ignited the question. 

I had to figure it out.  It was important.  The song was urgent: lives hung in the balance of whether I could solve this puzzle or not.  Life ... or death...

And so I sat, watching the eastern horizon turn pink with the first light of morning, grappling.  Healing power that kills the healer...  How?  There must be a way to heal the healer, too...

The answer was out there.  Tenuous.   Elusive...

I felt Arnor stirring in our quarters.  Reluctantly I began to draw back, preparing for the day ahead.  A lecture at the Academy.  More sparring.  Research into the history of the Ancient One...

The song spiked.  It was subtle.  If I hadn't been so in tune with it, I might not have noticed.  How many times have I missed that riff already?  Research ...

The key was in the past.

I took a deep breath and relaxed, letting the question go for the moment.  So ... somewhere in the past lay the key to the future.  I opened my eyes and sang a song of praise.

Now ... all I have to do is find it.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »

I love these Interludes!

Such a concise view into Karm for that point of time; yet those can result in incredible epiphanies.

But just what is Karm going to find in the past?  I'm looking to the future to find out!

Great installment Karm  Cheesy

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »

Like an extreme case of physician heal thyself before others...no matter how good it is for everyone else if Karmack gets smashed by it he loses the ability to help or teach anyone...self sacrifice using this ability is in a sense less noble than restraint as long term it hurts more than it heals...time to become a master of his own self!

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2018, 10:03:15 PM »

Like an extreme case of physician heal thyself before others...no matter how good it is for everyone else if Karmack gets smashed by it he loses the ability to help or teach anyone...self sacrifice using this ability is in a sense less noble than restraint as long term it hurts more than it heals...time to become a master of his own self!

Exactly.  In the end, the burst of power on Geonosis, as impressive as it was, only came about because he lost control.  He very nearly killed himself, and knew he was doing it, only giving at the last instant because he was trying to hang on and fully heal Ken.  If he'd settled for life-saving only, he might not have passed out at all...

But they survived.  So the important thing is to not make the mistake again.

but that vision of Odjina's fight with Valens is going to haunt him...

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2018, 12:48:39 AM »

That's the thing about music, the song can be the most powerful, beautiful thing in that or any moment, and the conductor brings all the parts and players into the one thing that ties it all together in peace... Harmony.  When the orchestra is skilled, the instruments tuned, the music known, and a conductor with the vision come together, the one thing that practice brings is the harmony.  Once all work in concert together, effortlessly, then all are a part of the whole, and it ceases to be work...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »

That's the thing about music, the song can be the most powerful, beautiful thing in that or any moment, and the conductor brings all the parts and players into the one thing that ties it all together in peace... Harmony.  When the orchestra is skilled, the instruments tuned, the music known, and a conductor with the vision come together, the one thing that practice brings is the harmony.  Once all work in concert together, effortlessly, then all are a part of the whole, and it ceases to be work...

Exactly.  Its just the long effort of getting to that point.  :-)  Karmack's not there yet.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2018, 03:41:50 AM »

Exactly.  Its just the long effort of getting to that point.  :-)  Karmack's not there yet.

But he's tryin, tryin REEEEEAALLLL hard, Ringo. Wink

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2018, 09:44:08 PM »

Interlude - Fragments of a Mission
Note: Trying something quite different with this interlude a bit non-linear for my own interest and also hopefully might spark some ideas in others who can use these ideas in an even better way
This story occurs in between CotA and LotA

He had seen…and done…some horrific things…fortunately Aethan neurobiology was designed to rapidly deal with such things and avoid ruminations that could lead to depression or traumatic stress disorders.

Having said that this was in the top ten of the most sickening things he had seen…he clicked another still amongst the ongoing recording.  The senator form Eriadu was on all fours in-between two male Gamorreans fulfilling his fantasies with the hulking green brutes…

This was the third and thankfully final item to but in the dirt file for the Chancellor, in addition to the evidence of extreme nepotism in the granting of office supply contracts for which the Senator of Eriadu was responsible and the usual willingness to change his vote based on whoever would pay him the most.

Naturally the Chancellor had no desire to prevent such venality, rather ensure he had the strongest ammunition to hold over his head…and so Valens had been asked through Kimar to spend a week looking into the Senators affairs…the messiest of them winding to grunting and disgustingly sticky close in front of him.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOLOGGLE MESSAGING APP
-- Bepo’s Bantha Burgers – Freshest and Juiciest with our Secret Tatooine Tang – Franchise opportunities available --
BL@K_PRNCE>>> Check this out
BL@K_PRNCE>>> *Att.SenEria_GamorVid.vid
JdiBabe69>>>EWWWW *GAG*
JdiBabe69>>>WTF want for???
BL@K_PRNCE>>>Blackmail n stuff
JdiBabe69>>>All Bad as each other
JdiBabe69>>>Pfsassks
BL@K_PRNCE>>> still in Senex?
JdiBabe69>>> finishing up, House Anturi agreed to marriage deal to cut angriness and stuff
BL@K_PRNCE>>> frell each other in bedroom better than frell each other on battlefield
JdiBabe69>>>doubt will last…Farasa Anturi kid is whacko
JdiBabe69>>>miss you…can meet up on Rimma back to Core?
JdiBabe69>>> fingers getting sore LOL
>>New Conversation [Blue_is_Beauty]<<
ACCEPT
Blue_is_beauty>>>Agreement 13.3.5 Requisition
Blue_is_beauty>>>immediate, armed
BL@K_PRNCE>>>Calcing
BL@K_PRNCE>>>2 day’s minimum to arrive...will leave in 4 hours tidy up job for Grand Dren Licker
Blue_is_beauty>>> LOL
[[]]
BL@K_PRNCE>>>Something just came up…sux…
JdiBabe69>>>…I want sux…*frown*
BL@K_PRNCE>>>Sorry...will get you something, shouldn’t be long…Corus 5 days?
JdiBabe69>>>Can do, Black or Red?
BL@K_PRNCE>>>What?
JdiBabe69>>>Lipstick!
BL@K_PRNCE>>>You don’t need it sweetie, look sexier without it
JdiBabe69>>>*blush* hang on a min
JdiBabe69>>>*Att.1134.12.PHOTO.Pic
JdiBabe69>>>to get yr mind of gross vid…girls hungry to be eaten!
BL@K_PRNCE>>>Your Beautiful! See you soon
JdiBabe69>>>Take care V.  S.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seeraw’wassan’Nuruodo was waiting for him at Ry’Kak’Cor Station located in a small system of just three gas giants and a star between Illum and Csilla.  Nominally run by a private mining firm it was a Chiss launch point into the Republic and served as a rendezvous point for their agents.

He gave the pict Sofa had sent him of her ‘girls’ spilling out of her white bra another glance…he still felt slightly traumatised by the Senators peccadillos.  Apparently among humans it was normally the males who were the more sexually aggressive…in that sense Sofa was atypical, but it felt familiar to him - amongst Aethans women were almost universally sexually dominant.  This wasn’t the first time she’d sent such pictures of her ‘girls’ or her ‘princess’ - she had quite the exhibitionist streak…most likely a subconscious reaction against the secrecy and stigma associated with relationships and sexuality within the order….Another time bomb Kimar was merrily planting within the Order…

“Knight,” Wassan nodded in the small hangar bay,

“Minister,” he nodded back,

“Let’s frell the formalities shall we,” Wassan went on, he could feel the sense of release pouring off the Chiss, curious so like the Order in terms of hierarchy…so like the Jedi in ripping loose as soon as they could get away from it.

“What is the issue,”

“Here,” Wassan tossed a Chiss data disc,

“For a few years now…there has been a small group of Chiss religious fanatics operating on one of the moons of Mobus, no one really cared to be honest, they numbered all of three hundred at most, a few were allowed to preach in public forums but only attracted the failures,”

Chiss meritocracy was brutal, anyone who failed to achieve a proper station became an instant pariah virtually cast out of even the lesser families, so they allowed such groups to operate – often under the clandestine control of the Ascendancy itself - as a way to deal with and control the dispossessed.

“It’s not one of ours…only notable thing was its lead by the Son of a former Minister, washed out his CEDF training and went off while his father was still in office, but that was decades ago.”

“And the problem now is,”

“Watch the recordings,”

Slipping the disk into the modified received of his datapad the first image showed a middle aged to elder Chiss male on some kind of pulpit preaching

“The time of ending has commenced, upon the dread world to be remade but the Comers, the last Gods shall do battle, the White and the Red, if the Red doth sunder the White, the Ascendancy shall to fire and ash be condemned, and the Comers repelled, but should the White…”

“He just goes on and on…go fifteen minutes in,”
Zooming forward an old crippled Chiss was brought before him, raising his hand the cripple was lifted in the air, the body trembled and shook before being let down, the man now able to walk.

Valens shrugged, he’d seen such things a thousand times from con men zooming through the holo-net for traces of actual force users with unique powers.

“See now the Grand Spirit flows through me to you, that you may be without excuse…here now I shall perform another sign…” the Chiss went on, the area around him brightening with light that seemed to come from within him

“the Grand Spirit admonishes all who have fallen into the lie of the Ascendancy, into valuing rank and skill over love and justice, walking in darkness, stumbling blind towards the abyss as the Conflagration of White and Red nears!”

The video flicked off and the next one started, a middle aged Chiss male, a stern face with a number of small scars and military bearing – although most Chiss possessed that

“I Ryshall’Tillick’Urodou do repent of my sin in attempting to undermine the work do the Grand Spirit by destroying the physical shell of the The Anointed,”

Anointed…Valens would’ve guessed ‘The Prophet’ or ‘The Master’…

“And do repent of my having doubted the truth of the words of The Anointed,”

“Colonel Ryshall’Tillick’Urodou,” Wassan interrupted as the video continued to drone out confessions,

“Was an experienced deep cover operative…to be frank our best…over the last year The Anointed started becoming more militant, harassing people in the colonies, preaching about the end of the Ascendancy and how it shackles the minds of the people…we sent him into investigate…his last report is on the disc only a week after arriving, he was reporting the miracles were not faked…and doubting his mission, this ‘confession’ was distributed publically a week after…”

Valens understood…a Chiss operative like that would need some serious convincing to join up, torture would be unlikely to work, and two weeks was not enough time for it anyway…

“You think The Anointed is using the force for his miracles and to detect your agents…” he noted

Wassan nodded gravely, the Chiss did not like the force, something they couldn’t analyse, and something that defied their rigid view of the way the galaxy worked…and so they had called him to look into it…part of their agreement he was on call to deal with such ‘unusual’ occurrences.

“We need to know what we’re dealing with…we can’t be seen spying on our own…and if this Anointed is using such nefarious means of control…”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

…The so called meritocracy of the academies in fact serves only to legitimize and perpetuate the privilege of the Ruling Houses.  By asserting that an individual’s success is purely the result of their own competencies divorced from their clan resources, it systematically disadvantages those students without access to private tuition and private learning facilities common in wealthier clans and labels the failure of disadvantaged students as being the direct result of the students own poor work ethic and ability. 

This perpetuates across generations as those with clan privilege as I will refer to it hence forth, are consistently more likely to achieve commissions in the CEDF and subsequently achieve merit based adoptions into larger houses, and high status roles within the government or within their own Houses administration…

…So long as this system continues we will continue to have a permanent underclass of low power clans disconnected from and resentful of the opportunities afforded to the wealthier clans.  In turn the belief that their poverty is a result of their own moral failings entrenches discrimination against low power clans by incorrectly attributing responsibility from the Social system to the individual.

--Professor Nyray’Arrun’Sabosen of Csilla Polar University Social Sciences Division translated from Cheunh

And then I beheld the Harbinger of the Grand Spirit Descend before me…its body was silver flame, its face adamantium,
“Come and See” it told me and I fell to my knees to worship it in fear and trembling
But it raised me and said
“Do no worship for I am but a messenger of the Grand Spirit,”
“When Sin has reached its fullness, then by their sins of greed and violence they shall awaken the three headed demon.
It showed me the First of Nine Scrolls, the scroll had four seals
The Demon destroyed the First seal, the Poet of the Creator most pure and noble laid low by vile treachery
The Demon destroyed the Second Seal the Scion of the Just twisted by his own pride laid low by consummate vengeance
The Demon destroyed the Third seal, the Lord of Sin drowning in his own pleasures laid low by ice cunning
The Demon destroyed the fourth seal, the Soul Thirster who Never Drank falsely satiated by vengeances cup
The Scroll opened and I beheld White and Red masked behind the Demons slaughter

--The Anointed’s Vision on the Sixth Night of Fasting as recorded by Brother Twarrin’Nsarra

Whilst there were some non Chiss species under the Ascendancies rule, there were no humans, so any infiltration had to be completely hidden. Fortunately that was not difficult, with Wassan’s information Valens slipped aboard a freighter bound for Mobus VI, the Chis crew oblivious to his presence even when standing in front of him.

The trip was swift, only 9 hours with three jumps.  The Moon had a thin atmosphere that wasn’t breathable, but the gas mix of oxygen, nitrogen and traces of argon was easily purified to be breathable in the old outpost that was now called the Temple of the Anointed.

He slipped out as the cargo haulers began moving the crates of food and supplies donated by supports throughout the Ascendancy, in exchange hand woven prayer shawls, ‘scared’ water and hand written prayer books were packed on board. 

The captain of the freighter utterly disinterested and internally mocking of the peculiarities of the cult the only thing noticeable in the aether even as he made a juicy profit from the trade for his Clan, resenting that he had never received a commendation for saving an Officers life in a battle fifteen years before and was stuck with crummy jobs like this.

He was only one step above the others here Valens noted as he slid through the hallways a living shadow taking in the light of thought and emotion.  These were the lost Chiss, unable to acquire enough merit to be adopted into a larger House or Clan, too inept to find work, too emotional and dishonourable to remain supported by their own clans, they pooled to anyone who would offer purpose outside the constrained paths the Ascendancy offered but then shut them out of with its high standards.

He found it detestable…everyone had something to contribute, he would, had and must continue to kill for a population as large as the Chiss, but even then would never contemplate such ostracism, every Aethan had a role, a place…

He sometimes wondered if the dismissive way other races treated their own was due to their lack of the aether…amongst his own everyone could feel another pain or sadness, and as the whole community could feel it, so it was whole communities role to address it…without that connection could they be just as inhumane to their own?

Stalking through the common rooms shadows he felt their renewed sense of purpose and belonging here…he could sympathize with these Anointed…but that would not stop him putting an end to it.
The circle formed of seated brothers and sisters in what was once a munitions storage room, now stripped bare apart from the red hand woven mat.

Elder Brother began with a recitation

“Blessed are those who read and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written in it, for the time is at hand. Grand Spirit Anointed us,”

“Grand Spirit Anoint us” the chant returned,

“We shall now confess, I confess to having doubted the words of the Anointed, having doubted the White and Red would come to pass…my sin is fear of my own sin leading me to deny the truth for else I must be convicted of my sins…Grand Spirit Forgive me,”

“Grand Spirit Forgive us”

Younger brother was next

“I confess to having lustful thoughts for another brother, my sin is lust…may I be convicted of my Sin…Grand Spirit Forgive Me”

“Grand Spirit Forgive us”
And so they proceeded until all had confessed, then Elder brother took the Chalice, filled with melt waters from Csilla’s galciers.

“Take and Drink…” he sipped and passed it around as they did so he recited the words of the Anointed

“Drink these the waters of our home from whence we are cast out and despised…drink from the Chalice with those who will not judge nor abandon you....Take and drink”

“I knew you would come,” The Anointed replied to the shadow in the room
“It was foretold to me,”
He walked to the centre of his chamber and spread his arms, his ragged gown hanging loosely,
“I am no warrior I will not resist you…there is no difference in life or death, I am with the Grand Spirit, the Grand Spirit is with me.”
Silence

“At your leisure then,”

Silence

Silence

He began to wonder if he actually was alone…
This is Narawan’Undoro’Idontik for Csilla News Network reporting our top story for the night.

CEDF forces responded to a distress signal today from Mobus where a Religious group calling themselves the Anointed, on the orders of their leader committed mass suicide in an attempt to ‘become one with the Grand Spirit’, the following footage was recovered from the scene, a warning this may distress some viewers,”

“My children the time has come, the End is here, all who fall by the Demons hand shall be taken by him into the depths where the Three Headed Demoness shall devour them for ever, take…take and drink deeply of the Chalice passed around…take and drink"

Three children aged 14 and younger were found on the moon after activating the distress beacon and reported the leader of the group, also called the Anointed was increasingly unstable in the days leading up to this event. 

287 bodies have been found and identification work has begun, if you believe you had family or friends amongst this group please click the link on your screen.
*********************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2018, 10:03:26 PM »

Well, that was interesting!  Sort of a Chiss version of Jonestown...  Or was it?

I liked the play on the Revelation passage.  :-)  Nice touch!  Though you might want to be careful of the curse...  ;-)

But seriously, very interesting.  i like the peek into Valen's mind, especially his contempt for the way Chiss society tosses the bottom end of its society, as it were.  Considering how some Aethans treat other people I find it an odd sort f blind spot.   but the Kiraea is not typical either so...   :-)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: