Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 144869 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »

Friends Part 5
Friend in Need - Part 2
Two star destroyers were the least of the damage…less than four days after rumors of a mobile orbital station being destroyed circulated, taking the ‘most honorable’ Tarkin with it, Imperial News Network offering platitudes no one believed.  Gradually the truth became known…a machine called the Death Star wiped out, the Rebels ascendant escaping their base on Yavin IV…the Emperor obviously now seriously concerned had let Vader off the leash.

The best thing to come out was Veers return to Coruscant and Harm with him – a ‘high level’ debriefing they called it.  

It was the first time she had seen Harm with her new eyes…she hadn’t remembered him looking so haggard before,

“Jyna?” he asked,

“Sorry…just takes time to adjust…you look beat,” her ‘down time’ voice coming out for the first time in months, she wanted to hold him…but the huge cast of technicians officers and troopers around the hangar would frown upon such open affection.

“Yeah well…let’s…let’s talk about it at home…” not that it was really his home she thought sadly.  

The trip was fast, the speed with which she tore off his clothes even faster…she didn’t know how long he would be home…she didn’t want to waste any time

“Whoa…Jyna are you…”

“Shut up, pants down Captain Harm,” she said firmly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“What do you thinks going to happen now…” she asked twirling his chest hair

“Nothing good…the rebs are going to get bolder…Vaders going to get meaner…everything we’re trying to create…order…peace…”

He sat up shrugging the thought away

“Uh…that’s too depressing, tell me about how you’re doing in the new job…really doing,” he looked at her sternly, her message indicated it was OK but he wanted to hear it from her lips, he’d know if she was lying

“It’s…not bad…” she stared up at the ceiling

“I…at least I can make a bit of a difference…a few more credits means better services, better security…its fighting on a different front…”

“But you still miss it don’t you,”

She nodded, “I do…the heart pumping…sweaty hands beneath gloves as you pivot the stick just in front of a flight path…breath held as the green streaks forward…the release when it plumes into fire…simulators are fine but I won’t lie I miss the real thing,”

“Well,”  he shifted back down to cradle her, “I’ve built up a lot of leave and a lot of overtime payments…if we save a bit we could look at getting you new growth eyes rather than cybernetics…”  she shook her head,

“No...I looked into it...the damage is too great…the grafting for the cybernetics damages as much as it fixes by shortcutting…” she spun on top of him

“Lets not talk about this…not waste the little time we have…” she slowly slid her hand down his chest, past his hips,

“You know simulators are fine but I won’t lie…” she nuzzled into his ear

“I missed the real thing…”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harm stayed only three days, Veers was put under Vader directly to hunt the Rebels down…she feared she would never see him again…not because of a Rebel shot but a Dark Lords abhorrence of failure…that wasn’t how any officer should die…no matter their failings…

Yet as months passed the true failings started to pile up on her desk…more and more facilities hit…more stations scuttled and sold off to Andisson and his company Lyssia Resource Recovery…she had to laugh he must’ve have enough Imperial infrastructure to build a whole fleet.

The Admirals demands increased, they were working on something big a new special ‘Project’…they needed all the credits and recovered doonium they could get…she pushed for 70% recovery, a number dropped out of contention, Andisson picked up ever more work.

She saw what she thought was the ‘Project’ when she had to sell of the remains of a dreadnought called the Arc Hammer…it built some kind of battle droid, huge R&D cost now all scrap metal that Andisson scooped up with relish – paying 80% he value of the scrap direct to the Empire –he must be taking a loss on that but he didn’t seem to care…she wondered sometimes if he knew something she didn’t – what could you learn from the refuse of an factory.  

As the rebels blasted more facilities the Empire shoved more money into failed ventures that ended up on her desk- two huge Conductor Towers near the Fewse Corridor, marked with Tagge co. components and etched labels for Omega-Frost, A star destroyer belonging to Governor Tiber Saxon that once held an Arc Pulse weapon project, and most troubling shipments of Stygium crystals and a wrecked Super Star destroyer the Terror that took Admiral Sarn and some secret fighter project on Imdaar Alpha nearby with it…Each time Andisson lapped up the detritus…  

It was just crazy, these major projects must’ve cost billions of credits…yet now scrap floating in the void.  And there were no results for it…no new droid armies, no new advanced fighters or weapons systems…this was the problem with a dictatorship, the emperor’s favour drifted day to day, and a single failure put him off.  

The only ones benefitting seemed to be the Rebels and Andisson…she didn’t begrudge Andisson making his fortune as he provided a fair price for what he got, but seeing the Rebels success growing and the Empire’s decision making slowly breaking…Harm still out there on the front line fighting across the Frozen wastes of Hoth…

The chime once more

“I’ll send him straight in,” Nyka said by now well drilled in Sala’s directness,
“Morning Colonel,”

“Andisson…do I even need to ask,”

A rare smile trickled across his mouth, his handsome features lighting up for just long enough for her sight to register

“Not really…I’m very interested in the former Raider Corvette facility…”

“Ah yes the new one…only 45% damage…” it annoyed her, this could be repaired, but every resource, every half intelligent technician was being diverted to the ‘Project‘, they wanted credits now and fast not spent on repairing disabled facilities,

“2.3 million,” he said instantly, the directness suited them both.

She glanced at the estimate from her valuations team, 1.5 million…

“That’s quite a bit over the estimate…” she was honest with him, he had been her best contractor after all.

“Doesn’t bother us…we have a new method of dissolving out impurities in flash forged doonium…makes it more valuable to us.”

“Very well,” she sighed

He arched an eyebrow,

“Unimpressed with something,”

“oh…” she shrugged, “just…depressing seeing all the destruction…” she didn’t know why but she felt comfortable near him…the only other person she let her guard down with was Harm…

“Well new life from decay…perhaps this will lighten your mood,” he slid an envelope across, it smelled woody...fresh...real paper.

She gave him a questioning look but took it,

“We’re having a small celebration on recent successes…they wouldn’t be possible without you so…I thought you might like to come…as a friend not a colonel,”

“I…” she worried if she accepted this an Imperial Loyalty Officer would show up asking about where her true allegiance lay…still…it wasn’t against regulations to accept small gifts or invitations…and perhaps for her own mental health a break was what she needed.

“I’d like that, thank you Andisson,”
Held in an upper class penthouse overlooking the Imperial palace, the party seemed relatively low key when she arrived, various employees in mid-priced suits and dresses, she felt slightly out of place in formal dress uniform, but soon spied a few other Officers.  Wandering over they gave her a short nod,

“Evening,”

“Evening colonel” a Captain nodded to her as an admiral turned around, she had long copper hair done in a tight bun, relatively youthful with green eyes,

“Admiral,” Sala saluted,

“Ah so you’re in their net as well!” Sala recognised the voice of Natasi Dala

“Net?”

“Our mutual friends,” the Captain gestured to a small group cluttered to the side of the room, a male who looked like Andisson, possibly a brother or cousin, and three women who looked like triplets

“So what do you do for them?” Dala asked, Sala noted the causal tone and drink in her hand, this was not a formal occasion despite the white Admirals tunic.

“Resource Recovery Admiral”

“Junks seller” Dala noted to Sala’s nod,

“Nothing is junk in their eyes…” the captain said sourly, he looked about forty with greying hair, moustache and firm staunch expression

“Indeed…nothing wasted, an important role, Colonel,” she said honestly
“Unfortunately you must have your work cut out for you of late,”
“Most unfortunately Admiral, but we get a good return from a bad situation,”
“I wonder what do they do with that junk you sell them,” Dala inquired further

Something about that question seemed odd to Sala…like…it wasn’t meant to be asked…a taboo of some kind…she realised she ahd never really looked into it herself…she’d looked into everything else about her role, reviewed the battles that created the scarp she sold,  learned about transport, clean up using magnetic harvesters…but never asked what was done after…she assumed it was sent to a smelting facility of some kind…but…Why hadn’t she ever asked?

“None of us know…” the Captain said bitterly

“And how do you know Andisson Admiral,” Sala asked an invisible prompt truing the subject away from the niggling topic Dala had raised.

“One of his associates, Aresdottir provides us with…independent research and innovation advice for a small installation I run.”

“Welcome friends…” came a feminine voice behind them, Sala’s eyes adjusting finally resolved an exceptionally beautiful young woman, dark auburn hair loose and curled at the tips, stunning blue grey eyes and a pristine pink smile perfectly centred on alabaster skin that made the red shimmer dress seem an affront to art to cover the rest of her body.

She gestured for a male behind her to come forward,

“A small gift to recognize your assistance over the last few years,” she took small red pins, three pointed stars that decorated their official sign off from a silver plate,

“Admiral, Colonel, Captain,” she handed one to each in turn, “We have a small gift for each of you when you leave as well to show our appreciation. Please excuse me as I hand out the rest!”

The party passed comfortably, Sala met various academics, scientists and former Imperial personnel, it seemed resource recovery was one part of a very large…or rather very broad organisation.

Finally it came to a speech by the same woman who had handed her a pin.

“Friends, that you for coming, we hope you have enjoyed our hospitality, and more importantly working with us…we have prepared small gifts for each of you to leave with…”
“We like to give our friends whatever they want the most” she said pointedly
“Enjoy the open bar and desert carts…feel free to take home some bottles or cakes…we look forward to working with all you in the future.  Long Live the Empress!” she finished in a suitably patriotic note, but giggled realizing her mistake

“Apologies...one too many Corellian Curisers! Long Live the Emperor!”
As people began to leave Andisson approached her with the young woman on his arm

“Colonel Sala, thank you for coming, we hope you enjoy our gift…” he pointed towards the table with small white bags labelled for each attendee.

“Thank you for livening my evening…”

“Not at all, we appreciate all you’ve done for us, and wish to assure you, that in these difficult times you have a friend in us should you need it.”

She wasn’t sure just what he meant but accepted with a nod.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
She waited till she was home till she opened her small gift bag…inside was a necklace of gold and emerald, a small thank you card and two envelopes.

Opening the first she gasped, at first she thought it a joke…but having met her at the party. It was only a copy but it meant the world to her…

[Maximillian
I understand you rely on Captain Harm, however to ensure he is at his best I request you allow him to take two weeks leave to recuperate after the Hoth campaign, I’m sure you agree he needs it!
Yours
Natasi]

It was somewhat in appropriate yet…it was what she wanted…had she been asked she would’ve protested against it but it was done…and both she and Harm could use the time off, rest and reconnection would improve their performance after all.

The second was stranger yet more inspiring

[Colonel Jyna Sala,
We are pleased to offer you an all-expense paid treatment course in ocular regeneration at the Lyssia Memorial Treatment Centre.  Whilst based on Fresia we are able to treat you on Coruscant.  Please contact me on the following number or holo-mail to arrange a consultation.
Dr. Jisi Karisadottir]

The woman with Andisson was right, they did give their friends just what they wanted.
Six platforms orbited over the volcanic moon, purple-blue swirls of the Gas giant behind making the orange magma glows stand out even more against black-brown crystal sands.

Andisson…or such was his Pseudonym as far as the Empire was concerned, gazed at the view screen.  Their ships did not have ‘windows’ they were structural weaknesses and limited compared to advanced electromagnetic radiation sensors.

Pieced together from recovered pieces of Imperial facilities, as well as their own custom built components, each platform was tethered to a facility on the moon by a space elevator, easy as there was only a thin atmosphere.  70% of the scraps went to the ground facilities where they were melted through thermal heated blackstone pipes, and cooled using Omega frost tech towers to allow fractional distillation to separate out the elements then sent to the Orbital facilities where 3D printers produced TIE Defenders, Corvettes, Armour, Small arms…from the wreck of the Empires failures they were equipping a new army…a better army.

She slid in behind him taking his arm and leaning her hear on his shoulder, her dark auburn hair spilling across her face as it had since she was a child.

“Shows about to begin,”

The massive tip of the “Terror Arc” came into view…built from the wreck of the Arc Hammer, the Imdaar Alpha facility and the Super Star Destroyer Terror, improved and advanced…it would now produce both of its precursors original products…no not original better…Everything had to be better…what they lacked in Quantity they made up for with Quality.

It slowly filled the view screen, the aether suffused with pride as the first lights blinked on, yellow and green against the black durasteel, vibrational sensor picked up the hums of the internal manufacturing starting up.  

The Empires innovation and losses…were their gain.

The first thing she saw with her new eyes was Harms face…he looked even more gaunt than last time.

Dr. Karisadottir pushed in front checking her eyes with a piercing blue laser
“You can see…”
“Yes…I…I can see…”
“Scans indicate you can see…”
Sala couldn’t suppress a grimace…Doctors

“Everything should be back to normal, but we’ll keep you under observation for two days…and need to run some test…human eyes are difficult for us.”

Something about that seemed off to Sala, wasn’t Karisadottir human, she pushed it aside in favour of gazing on Harms face.
“But those can wait,” she added leaving them alone.

“I thought it could never happen…how did they…”

“Trade secret apparently” Sala replied sitting up…she felt fine…better than fine in fact.

He stroked her face, her skin still sensitive, but his gentle touch was welcome after so long.

“You know it didn’t matter to me either way…” he said supportively sliding over to sit on her bedside

“But…you know simulators are fine but I won’t lie…” he added as she shifted into his arms

“But we both missed the real thing…” she finished.
*********************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #271 on: April 05, 2018, 02:04:40 AM »

Oh but those Aethans ARE good at what they do...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #272 on: April 05, 2018, 05:10:40 AM »

This was magnificent!  Just what are those Aethans doing with all that scrap... A navy, yes; perhaps a new war machine to be seen?   Wink

These stories about the normal rank and file are wonderful additions, to say nothing about Easter eggs like General Veers, Admiral Dala, etc. 

And I love the Aethans' pseudonym naming conventions, similar to old Norse and Dane names  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #273 on: April 05, 2018, 02:38:22 PM »

And I love the Aethans' pseudonym naming conventions, similar to old Norse and Dane names  Smiley

Very, very similar.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #274 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »

Ahhh   That explains a few things!  Now we know where the Aethans are getting Tie Defenders and Corvettes for the Sons, for example.  And the new and improved "Terror Arc"...  "shudder"...

LSG, if nothing else, these interludes are AWESOME inspiration to go do Wookipedia research!  LOL  Love the easter eggs! 

And I have to echo Dutchman, the Nordic-style patronymics are a great touch!

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #275 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »

Ahhh   That explains a few things!  Now we know where the Aethans are getting Tie Defenders and Corvettes for the Sons, for example.  And the new and improved "Terror Arc"...  "shudder"...
Yeah needed to have a good explanation for that...As Ken noted one doesn't just buy such ships from Seinar...but if one has half three.wrecked factories and a few genius engineers...

I also wanted to acknowledge all those secret projects the rebels beat and you never see again..someone must know the value of that R&D...

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »

Friends Part 6
Part 1
“You see I’m not against piracy per se…simply the particular person you stole supplies from…” he tried his best to reason with the Dug whose puny frontal arms dangled with golden trinkets

“You what?…You what to come here tell me what to do?”

“I’m simply a friend of the people you stole from and I would ask you not to steal from them any more…it’s for a very good cause and…”

“You nothing, nothing, you get out,” the one eyed captain insisted, he glanced behind him to the array of sentients in varying stages of grottiness arcing forward on the equally grotty cantina couches as neon blue and green poured along with a pounding rhythm from the main floor into the private room reserved for Trebla and his crew.

“Let’s be reasonable…why not instead of stealing along the run, we give you a small retainer to ensure our ships are safe…the rest do as you please…”

“You deaf, you ears pull by gundark…you give us credits we take, then we take you ships, ram blaster up you exhaust port,”

He sighed,
“They won’t see reason…do you think it’s worth…” he asked…

“Who you talk to - this one laser brain, shove laser in his exhaust port and fire!” the Dug ordered as the slimiest looking Herglic he’d ever seen approached.

Cha sighed…he could feel the intransigence, the foolish pride, “Kill them all” he whispered.

As Trebla wondered who Cha was talking to the Herglic burst apart into a wilting four petal flower of blood and gristle - blasters barely drawn from their holsters sparked into pieces before they could get off a shot, their owners becoming permanently embedded in the furniture as the force and air turned to a storm with Cha at the eye, black clouds moving too fast for his eyes to track churned about him leaving dark red and green streaks in their wake.

“Grab their Security passes, our other friends can use the ship…” he added glding out of the room.
The orange hand grasped his with a warm firm shake,

“My pleasure to meet you Sirra,”

“And you,” he smiled back at the Togruta,

“I see we both keep the same company…” he added nodding to the shadow that had followed the Togruta into the hangar,
“A friend of my friends,” Scrubber replied gladly, “Is always welcome here,”

He glanced around the cavernous space as species of all types busied themselves unloading crates of provisions and weapons into the new base, Trebla’s former flag ship sitting just behind him,

“A gift I picked up along the way Friend Scrubber,” Cha gestured, “You won’t have any more trouble with Helium 3 supplies.”
A crooked smile lit up the Togruta’s face as he snapped his fingers,

“Ornil, Zaic’ch…” he called out across the bustle, “New ride from our Friend Cha here! Well lets head upstairs, I found a room with an amazing view…”
The view was amazing
Vibrant light blue-to-yellow-green veins against a red sedimentary strata the jewel in the crown of the verdant waterfall outside the window.  He took a quick pict for Nemi…she would love it…but then he smiled…she loved everything he did…and very frequently at that!

The room was empty except for a few grimy stains and a toddling nervous looking Ugnaught.  Following custom they both bowed silently, even their respective living shadows genuflected before the creature such was its importance.  They waited for a few minutes listening to the rush of the water before it made a guttural purr of permission.

“No need for fear my friend, we just have some simple questions for you,” Scrubber lowered himself to offer the diminutive creature a freshly unpacked ration bar stamped with Cheunh labelling.

It stared up suspiciously, Scrubber produced another and opened it up and took a bite them offered it to Cha, who dutifully ate as well…the Ugnaught gave a quick look between them, a sense of acceptance flowed into the force and it wolfed it down.

Scrubber knelt beside him and placed a supportive hand on the procine creatures shoulder, the Togruta might not be force sensitive…but there was a warmth, a leaders confidence that radiated off him into the pained ex slave.

“Friend we know during your suffering you worked on many buildings…many planets…I ask you do you remember seeing this man at any of them?” 

The datapad showed Yupe Tashu, a horridly sycophantic admirer of Palpatine Cha had the displeasure of meeting on three occasions while working for the Inquisition.

The Ugnaught nodded frantically, then shook his head, then nodded again, he could tell this creature was a few charges short of a full battery…the scars along its face were the least of its lingering injuries. 

“My brother, can you tell us…or show us…if you don’t wish to speak you don’t have to…where you saw this man?”  the Togruta switched the datapad to display a listing of systems.

The Ugnaughts arthritis ridden finger scrolled through to Gentes
“From here!” it spoke with a raspy voice
Scrubber nodded patiently, “Yes from there…your home…Gentes,”
“Not Safe!”
“No…not safe to go back I’m afraid…but we can contact other clans in nearby sectors if you wish,”
He had the patience of a monk this man…and most amazing to Cha it was genuine…never would he see such patience in an interrogation with the Inquisition…yet this wasn’t an interrogation…

Even though their Phantoms stood ominously side by side…the light nearby lost even more from the positive synergy of their combination he suspected if Scrubber couldn’t get this information willingly they would let it go.

“No…stay…help Scrub…help Sons…” it barked almost frantically
“I’m honoured to have you help us,” Scrubber soothed
“Make things…doors…lift…lock…boxes…Vawts…” it said quietly
“Vawts…Vaults?”
“Vawts” it nodded, “That one…many building…white shells, strange things…make Ugletts sick…clan work lots for that one…”
“Tashu,” Scrubber confirmed,
“Teeshu…Teeshu…” it ruminated in low growling tones
Cha was starting to get annoyed…but if They trusted Scrubber he had no reason to doubt them…he had learned to appreciate just how clever their Friends were…they were smart enough to know when and how to use outsiders for mutually beneficial outcomes, to provide independent advice and ideas - so long as their anonymity was preserved. 
“Strange things in Vawts…many strange…”

The Sith and Jedi Artefacts

“These places…these,” the stubby fingers once again scrolled across the datapad ticking off systems…three…four…six…eight…

“Others…more…too sick…too sick…not remember…”

Nodding Scrubber gave him a thankful squeeze on the shoulder

“Thank you Sirra, if you want to rest, or if you prefer to work straight away…I know that can help keep a steady head after being freed…we’ll get you what you need,”

The Ugnaught nodded, some semblance of pride peaking up through the miasma of pain that clouded its aura

“Make…make good things…good people for…not good things for bad people anymore,”
Scrubber smiled,
“No making things for bad people anymore,” he agreed.
“A good start…eight systems…”

“No doubt someone is already poking around…they won’t wait till Palpatine is cold…” his body guard come advisor come chaperone come hulking-threat-of-painful-death-if-you-even-think-of-betraying-us replied

“True…” he replied absently as he considered what to do next, the holo of the galaxy with the systems the Ugnaught had told them about lit up as red triangles amidst the pale blue swirl that cast a glow through the briefing room of the Corvette he called the Sefina after Nemi’s character, although the IFF had it read as ‘Kimar’s Folly’…better than Vcgru’s Whore he supposed…what kind of a name was that for a ship?

“So what do you suggest?” his former trainer went on…they were not big on names for some reason.

“We could bust into them one by one…” Cha began…
“But that would expose you too much,” he knew they were very…shy….

“Hiring people is risky…and they’ll always try and cheat you…as effective as you are at deterring disobedience…”

He nodded understanding,

“I suggest we share the secrets…let others do the work, you have credits, you lack manpower…so play to your competitive advantage...buy the finished products rather than try and make it yourself.  We sell the locations then head to the auction houses on Canto Bite and the like and buy the items we want after someone else wastes lives breaking in….they’ll all end up there sooner or later,”

It was hard to read their expressions, they were icy at the best of times…but he seemed to be thinking,

“We’ll consider your plan…I can see merit in it…but also risk…” one moment he was sitting…then faster than his eyes could track he was at the briefing room’s starboard door,
“We will inform you of our decision before we reach the next jump point” he added before vanishing into…wherever it was he vanished to.

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »

Friends Part 6
Part 2
“Oh…stars have mercy on me….” He flopped off of Nemi

“You’re amazing Nimmin, just amazing,” she crooned

“Yes…yes I am…” he got up and flexed his arms…such wonderful and compliant woman these were…and the apartment on Fresia was just as fantastic…all perks on top of his 2000 credit a day retainer…He had been working for them nearly six years now, assisting them to angle into position as the Empire slowly fell apart as Palpatine and Vader became more erratic…building and now blowing another damn Death Star…

They had known the end was soon...Palpatines days were numbered they had said years ago…how they knew this he didn’t ask…somethings just didn’t get a response…he didn’t care really.

He checked himself in the mirror…still as young as ever…his friends had yielded some of their secrets of eternal youth…not enough to reach their level…but enough to keep himself and Nemi in top shape…

Even more handsome than Namman he thought…he had spoken to his brother just once since leaving the Inquisition pleading with him to join him, for his own safety. 
“This is a good job Nam, good pay, all the girls you could want…I know you love artefacts and scrolls, they have them all, anything you want, they’ll give you,”
“They, they always they…you’re a patsy Nim, a mouth piece…”
“Yes a safe one, part of a team not a bunch of sniping hssiss like your ‘friends’ are,”
“At least I’m no one’s pet Chitlik”, he pushed out from the café table and turned away,
“You’ll get yourself killed Nam, you can’t trust that bitch Gaetana”

Namman just wouldn’t listen…here there was no room for ambition or advancement, there were direct rewards and safety but no possibility of power or dominance, Nimmin was more than satisfied with opulence and erotic indulgence…but Namman….
For all the bad blood between them, all the competition and arguments…all the insults and fist fights…he shook his head…he was still his brother.

“Poor fool you’ll get yourself killed trying to conquer the galaxy,” he told his reflection in lieu of his brother.
Restraightening his hair as the turbo lift ascended the apartment building…well apparent apartment building, it was more a fortress with apartments surrounding an adamantium core…how they got this built on Fresia with no one noticing 150 years ago he had no idea. 

He shouldn’t be nervous, they were his friends after all…still meeting this one was always intimidating…There was no formal hierarchy…no titles or commissions…a brief sense of the force and you knew…just knew who was dominant in the room and for what…and this one was by far the smartest he had met…though he strongly suspected a materfamilias existed…somewhere.

Through the turbo lift doors, then the office doors to see three of them, one of the seemingly endless series of nineteen year old girls he could never tell apart, the ‘boss’ he had come to see both inspecting a hulking giant of a battle droid.

“The bigger they are my friends,” Cha began sweeping in to look

“The harder they hit!” the girl chimed in…ah this one he remembered this one…

“and the harder they fall my dear,” the more familiar you were in what you said the more they felt at ease he had found

“Yeah, just make sure you put someone you don’t like beneath them!” she went on excitedly

He had to laugh at the simplicity of her suggestion

“We’ve thought on your proposal…after much deliberation…” the male interjected lifting a massive assault cannon not built for humanoid hands effortlessly.

“We think your plan is good, we doubt there is much in those vaults we haven’t already seen…” he placed the cannon on the re-enforced crate with a thud and the woman took up the train of thought

“Most of what the scavengers and so called Templars are finding isn’t worth much to us…we scrounged those places centuries ago…saw most of them in their hey-day…taking anything of value…and leaving observation spheres in other artefacts we left behind…what is unique and strange to this generation of Jedi…” she smiled viciously “is ever so cliché for us”

“Still there are some things we haven’t found,” the male tossed him a data disc

“We suspect Tashu found the top item on the list but didn’t know its actual value…to be fair it has no value to anyone but us,”

“You don’t mind that others will find some of these other objects though,”

“pfft, no,” the younger one…their group mind just visible to him in the force, switching speakers as the male peered at the battle droids jetpack.

“We want them to…they find these things learn to use them...innovate…come up with ideas we never would…then…” she gestured to the main desk where a holo of the TIE Phantom II spun with technical readouts from the last test flights…a future gift for Scrubber no doubt.

“Then you steal their ideas…” he finished - it was genius, they knew the limits of their own imagination, so they allowed others to do the hard work of invention, incur the costs of research and development…then from the shadows they lifted a copy and integrated that knowledge with their own advances to create something truly terrifying…as it was with weapons…so it was with force techniques.

He glanced up at the huge grey slab of death its empty translucent eyes tinged red, shut off he wondered how they would look burning like the fires of Mustafar…

“Speaking of…what of the Templars…” Cha noted…“What if they obtain this holocron first?”

“They will not,” the male added sternly, “They have other concerns distracting them from their core task…”

“But what if they do nonetheless?” Cha insisted, his role was not just to work for them, but to argue, question them, provide a different point of view, the devil’s advocate as it were,

“Will you support the Revenant…or take it directly?”

The male thought for a moment, “The Templars are useful to us…by collecting and archiving they do our work for us…by fighting the Revenant they push themselves to innovate from which we learn…let them have it if that is the case…they will not know its value either.”

Cha thought through this response, “If no one currently knows the value of this holocorn, why look for it at all, doesn’t that make it more likely to be placed on someone’s radar?”

“You’re correct Cha…for this very reason we didn’t waste resources seeking it before…” his cool grey eyes cut into Cha…not intentionally…it was just the way they were…this man…although ‘man’ was almost an insult for such a being…could break durasteel with a gaze.

“Something has changed…” Cha nodded, of course they knew he knew…but as a concession to Cha’s ‘limited cognitive speed’ they offered him the chance to show insight and kept their speech to a speed he could comprehend.

“There is someone who is inching closer to possibly finding its true value should he obtain it…” he replied with a firm nod, the force around him becoming hard as the ultra-dense stone they cloaked themselves with

Cha understood, this was one of those missions…not about achieving any end apart from temporarily reducing their innate paranoia…exactly what they were hiding in the deep core he didn’t know…but based on what few things did come of there…not the least of which was their own genehanced persons….everyone was happier for them staying hidden.
“40 is ridiculous…you can do better than that…” Cha said confidently to the metal suited Skakoan across from him…it would be so much easier just to use the force to do the bargaining from them…but that left too many leads to follow.

“Our margins are thins as it…” the metallic voice came across,

“Indeed, but your cash flow is suffering, we pay upfront before each shipment unlike your other customers,”  Cha would never enter into negotiations without understanding the financial position of the opposing firm first – it was like battle, know your enemy, know yourself, and play your strengths against their weakness until victory was yours.

The Skakoan shifted uncomfortably…with the civil war orders for heat sinks and thermal insulation materials were many but payment was often slow creating trouble paying their own suppliers and staff.

“We could perhaps do 38 per kilo of Ceramic insulation thread…but would need payment in advance of every order.”

Risky…but Cha was sure they would deliver…he could push this
“Make it 36…” the Skakoans voice box crackled about to speak
“and,” Cha cut him off, “We will pay three shipments in advance, in full…you’ll have the credits tomorrow.”

The Skakoan glanced to his Duros aide who gave a short nod,

“Agreed...” the voice grill echoed.
All too easy Cha thought as he strode back onto the Sefina, greeted by his usual near mute body guard and…

“Nemi…what are you doing here?”

From behind her in the ships main war room one of his female Friends appeared,

“We thought she should be here Friend…unfortunately we have some bad news…”

Her typically pristine but expressionless face showed sadness

“Your brother…has died,” 

His face fell, ice gripped his heart as Nemi approached him to pull him inot her arms…just the other day he had been thinking…he was still his brother…

“Slain by a Mak’Tor knight…while in the employ of someone calling themselves Darth Mendax…a Ferroan woman…”

Gaetana he realised instantly, it could only be Gaetana…

“Idiot…” he seethed between gritted teeth as his tears fell freely…such emotion amongst the Inquisition was impossible, he would be scorned if not killed outright…but here with his friends, his lover he was safe.

“I’ll…that idiot…I told him…,” his fists clenched in rage…not at the Mak’Tor…but at himself…at his brother…at their whole dysfunctional life...till he had met these true friends, thoughtful enough to bring the woman whose shoulder he now moistened with tears..

His breath was ragged as his nose filled with fluid from supressed tears…

“He was my brother…no matter what he was my brother…the idiot…” 

His body guard approached from behind to place a hand on his shoulder

“Friend Cha…I’ll place a disc on your desk…it has all the details we could gather…there is much we don’t know...yet”

He nodded through Nemi’s tight grip as the female spoke up.

“There is a mission coming up that involves this Mak’Tor directly…”  she paused waiting for his head to lift slightly as the shock dissolved with each tear.

“I offer you the right of first refusal to this mission…”

Cha nodded as the lift slowed, he needed to see...see the face of the man who had killed his brother…not for revenge…he just…he just had to see it…

“I’ll take it…what is the Knights name?”
********************************************************************************************************

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »

Yes!  YES!!  YES!!!

Masterfully done, weaving so many disparate threads together in such a delicate and wonderfully cohesive narrative!  Many writers get bogged down with the sheer number of characters or are conspicuous with forcing the tie-ins; not you!  This was such a pleasure to read, the familiar faces, events, and the "inside" knowledge that we enjoy as we get another perspective of our shared continuity!

There are SO many good easter eggs, shout-outs, callbacks... I had a smile while reading the entire time!  Brilliant LSG!

...But it looks like Karm is going to be in for the fight of his life...

I CAN'T WAIT!

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »

"Kimar's Folly"  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

So many threads, such a complicated weave, planned with precision, a long, long game, to make chess seem more like Chutes and Ladders...  Are the Aethans planning to take over, or just nudge, plan, manipulate, and play the galaxy as the board of their own entertainment...

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #280 on: April 06, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

Oh my....

This reminds me of something...   "I was creating demons..."  

Karm has NO idea what's rolling down the hill at him.  This kind of thing might give a guy nightmares...

LSG, this is masterful.  Utterly masterful.  Thank you for sharing!

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #281 on: April 15, 2018, 11:45:25 PM »

Between Series…
[/b]

Currently working on a Sequel to LotA (having scrapped the previous idea…), and would like to offer everyone a chance to contribute, so if you have any ideas re character arcs/development you’d like to see, loose threads you’d like to see tied up, events or clashes you think would be cool send me a message with the idea – not looking or full chapters or anything just ideas and different perspectives on what you think or would like to happen and see. 

The Setting will be directly after LotA (1-2 weeks), and well before the recent Events in Schisms.

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »

Between Series…
[/b]

Currently working on a Sequel to LotA (having scrapped the previous idea…), and would like to offer everyone a chance to contribute, so if you have any ideas re character arcs/development you’d like to see, loose threads you’d like to see tied up, events or clashes you think would be cool send me a message with the idea – not looking or full chapters or anything just ideas and different perspectives on what you think or would like to happen and see. 

The Setting will be directly after LotA (1-2 weeks), and well before the recent Events in Schisms.

More a "request/desire" to see some more interaction between Valens and Jarys, Jarys and Milaea.  They've been separated for literally years...

Of course, Aethan Force-melding being what it is, I'm sure they "caught up" with one another quite quickly  Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2018, 02:06:08 PM »

Between Series…
[/b]

I'd love to see a little more of the Vyth aftermath on M'Tzigon.  I imagine the arrival of 4-10 and Ha'Ona was ... interesting.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2018, 12:38:27 AM »

For “Nena” 1989-2006

Dark Jedi
Part 1
“Is evil merely the absence of good - an omission rather than an act…so some have claimed…yet now we see the falsity of this view - these were acts of commission, planned and thought out.  
Is evil merely a cultural construct, a label to actions our society derides as ‘bad’ yet in the grand scheme of existence holds no true weight…perhaps…morality may be subjective, in which case we have only a sentients own standards to judge them against.  And against the standards these men and women professed and upheld, they have done evil, not absent good but active evil.”

-Master Gurrlum’s address to the conclave of Masters, presenting the findings of the Grand Commission into Abuses within the Order.

“Most certainly the youngest,” the wizened Jedi explained as Fey rocked the girl in her arms,

“But possibly the elder as well…” he gestured with a warm smile to Nena who sat quietly on the homespun rug wide eyes staring at the man from another world.

“Nena…really?” Sen rubbed his chin…it was tough enough for one of them, let alone both…but with things on Ruan the way they were…droughts, poor harvests, locust outbreaks…Fey didn’t look happy about it, but in her heart they both knew they couldn’t do any better for their daughters…with the Jedi they’d get a good education, more opportunities…and always have something to eat – as it was he had to cut down himself so that Nena could.

“I’d have to test her a little of course, but she’s still quite young so would be readily accepted.”

The pains in his stomach made the decision for him,
“Whatever test you need Master Jedi,” Sen replied as the Jedi smiled

“Very good then, we’ll need a little privacy, I’ll take her to the barn,” He reached out to the awestruck child,

“Come Nena,” he smiled taking her in hand half lifting her off the floor, she toddled along out of their one room house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nena didn’t pass the test the Jedi gave her, she seemed oddly forlorn for a four year old afterwards, likely because her sister was going.  Fey was…she would come round in time…maybe one day they’d see her again.  

She leaned over to kiss the child on the head one last time as she slept in the Jedi’s arms, he seemed to have some way about the children, likely his mystical abilities Sen thought.

It was a hard thing, but it was the best thing,
“Goodbye Sofa,” he said quietly, “Thank You Master Jedi…for…”
“My pleasure Serra Neirai, my pleasure,”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30 Years Later
It was a simple enough assignment, a good one for her and her new apprentice.  

Milaea had studiously read through the official protocols and instructions, for a ten year old she had a prodigious memory…but then the same could be said about every aspect of her. Sofa hoped she was up to the challenge, Mili had a lot of potential, but with the wrong influences that potential could go awry very quickly…and while she always had Soryu to help her…still she worried how she would cope especially as she reached puberty….

“So they don’t get any compensation?” she asked as they sped cross the sunlit plains,

“No, it has to be voluntary, and with no remuneration or it would un-afoul of Republic Anti-Trafficking Acts.”

“But a lot of the families are poor…shouldn’t we help them as well…what if they have other children who aren’t sensitive?”

Already Milaea had terrible habit of asking uncomfortable questions, she was right though most infants collected were for poor families, wealthier ones rarely agreed to donating their children to a life of service, asceticism and celibacy…

Well they could frell the celibacy Sofa thought, idly wondering where Valens was right now.

“Then…well they can always go to outreach programs and the like…we can’t solve all the galaxies problems, just do what little we can each day, each step of the way,” hopefully that sounded wise.

They cruised along the Pastures of Yulant toward the small town where they were to meet the Jedi Recruiter.  They were to assist in a scout of the regions where force sensitive infants had been reported a few years ago, new recruits….

The town had only basic facilities, a small space port to shuttle out the agricultural produce, hospital, administration building and a few general stores with a rudimentary hotel/watering hole/holo-post office.  The only sign of galactic civilization the handful of speeders sparked around the place without much regard to pedestrian traffic – likely given there was none.

Hopping out they wandered to the hotel, a squat three story building that looked like it had seen better days during the Ruusan Reformation.  Just inside was the cloaked figure they were to meet.

“Sofa, how wonderful to see you again!” the warm smile lit up the room and chilled her heart, causing her to pause long enough to get an odd look of concern from Milaea and the Master before her to raise an eyebrow

“Master Pyl…” she half said, to his sage like nod

“I was so happy to hear you advanced to the Rank of Master so young, and your apprentice…” he extended his hand

“Milaea,” Mili replied taking it,

“Strong grip!” he chuckled

“Well, let sit down shall we, much to do!”

She sat in half a haze as he explained the process…why did it have to be him…why hadn’t someone…why hadn’t she…who would believe her?

“…Sofa could look over the ones in the east and you and I could check the ones in the west!” he said to Milaea “We can see the Bantha herds coming down from the hills this time of year,”

“Wow really!”

“Yes I’m sure I can even convince one of the herdsmen to let you ride one!”

“No!” She snapped

“What?” Mili asked

“Oh…sorry, I just thought it would be better if we all went together” Sofa corrected “I’m still learning too after all!”
“What’s wrong?” Mili asked as they shifted some of their gear from the speed they came in to the Pyl’s larger one

“Hmm…oh just…” How was she meant to say this…to a girl so young…yet how could she not….

She turned and knelt down to her eye level,

“Just be careful around Master Pyl, don’t…make sure to stay near me OK,”

“OK…but he seems nice….”

“I know he does…” too painfully she knew that

“Just stay close alright,”

She wouldn’t…she couldn’t leave her alone with him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was meant to be behind her…forgotten…something she didn’t need to worry about any more…but now she couldn’t avoid it…and she had to protect Mili…just seeing him near her…

“A special Jedi secret” he’d whispered
“You’ll be cast out of the Order if you break this sacred trust,” he’d threatened
“No one will believe a worthless tralk like you” he’d sneered afterwards

Milaea squealed with delight as the Bantha rocked back and forth along the rocky ground

The ride was over too soon for Milaea’s liking but they needed to move on…as she struggled to get off the lumbering woolly creature Pyl offered to help her…Sofa almost pulled her sabre as he held her slender hips and helped her down.
Was this the kind of house she had been born in…she would never know …three rooms, old paint long worn from the bare steel walls, a family of eight living there, the small two year old playing quietly with his six year old cousin and Milaea on the floor with a set of hand carved blocks.

“The child has much potential,” Pyl crooned, “Possibly the older as well, I would need to do some additional testing,”

Sofa didn’t understand, what more testing could be done?

“We know it is much to ask…but they will have a good life, the best education, and contribute to the peace and safety of all…”

The Elder woman, the head of the family nodded,

“Yes Master Jedi, we understand…things have been hard…we want the best for our children…yet to give them away….”

“I understand,” Pyl smiled “But this opportunity may not come again, once the children reach ten or so it is too late…I ask you to consider this wonderful opportunity carefully…now if I might…” he gestured to the elder child

Overawed by his mere presence the older woman nodded “Of course Master Jedi”

Sofa could not believe it…they didn’t even suspect…they were simple people, so enamoured, so overwhelmed by the presence of a Jedi…amazed that he would come to their home…so full of trust…she watched him lead the six year old out…there was no more testing to be done what…

No…No surely he wouldn’t not with her there…not with the family in the next room…and yet…the Temple had been filled with people…the dorm rooms with children…

She needed to go, to make sure nothing happened…yet felt her chest tighten, her breathing stop…she couldn’t move…her own body wasn’t her own body anymore…it was an object being twisted in someone else’s hands once more…the same feeling, the same disparate emptiness.

“Master Jedi are you alright,” The Old woman asked her…or part of her…there were two hers, there was one that wasn’t there…that was over somewhere else watching frozen body being asked the question.

A nudge…a force prompt of concern from Milaea slowly melted the two parts back together…

“What…”

“Shall I get you some water master Jedi?”

“No…No…I need to…I’ll just check how they are getting on, Mili stay here…”

Moving through a strange haze she pushed into the small adjoining room, he was on the bed looking down at the child who was concentrating on a small stuffed animal, no doubt trying to raise it…Pyl looked up a brief annoyance crossed his face.

“Ah Sofa…Geedy here was just trying to see how the force flowed, it seems thinly there…”

She stared at him…how could he talk to her…how could he just sit there as if…as if nothing had happened between them…had he forgotten, did he not care, did it not matter to him…
She didn’t matter then – wasn’t even a person to him…and she didn’t matter now.

“Well…” he stood up and patted the child on the shoulder

“I think that’s enough for now”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The arrangements were made…Mili was excited to be taking the child back with them, excited to be able to show the little boy their ship and Coruscant, explaining how much fun he would have meeting other children and in the crèches she had been in.  She would look after him she said.

She had so many people looking out for her and she wanted to share that with him…a child she had only just met…Milaea had always been carefully watched over by Soryu ever since he found her on Nar Shadda, Yoda and Valens often looking in as well - that was how Sofa had gotten to be with her…and she had been determined that she never went long without seeing her…

Perhaps it was her own subconscious desire to ensure what had happened to her never happened to Milaea…she glanced across to Pyl who was finalising the sign over of custody…Sofa hadn’t known Soryu back then…not till she was nearly six…by then…it had been too late…and she was too afraid to tell anyone…

She still was.

She always would be.
The diary sat on the table of the empty one room house.  

Sometimes Sen wished he had never read it…sometimes he wished he had read it sooner…

It had been nearly 2 years after when he had first read it…if he had before maybe…but what could he do, he couldn’t afford the trip to the city more than once a year.  Couldn’t have afforded the cost of any counselling sessions for her if they got there.

The battered old datapad flicked half lit – they didn’t make the backlights anymore and he couldn’t afford a new one – still he could make out the fifth letter in as many years from the Sherrifs department
‘…without the testimony of the affected parties…’
‘…no jurisdiction to compel the Jedi in question to testify…’
‘…no reasonable chance of conviction…’
‘…past the statute of limitations…’

He couldn’t try anymore…he’d lost Nena, he’d lost Fey…now he’d lost any hope of getting even an acknowledgement of what had happened…

Lost or taken?

There was nothing left for him anymore…

The old las-rifle tasted of copper and dust in his mouth.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord_S_Gray

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: