Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Interludes  (Read 146786 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #360 on: August 07, 2018, 11:03:17 PM »

Yup.   Well said!

Hmm.   We should post an interlude in here one of these days...  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #361 on: August 09, 2018, 10:33:11 PM »

Interlude- A Glimpse of Dawn

Screaming, Rikard’s green saberstaff met his two opponents’ red blades, their wielders doing likewise.  Locking up the three weapons, the humans stared hatred into one another’s eyes, Rikard’s green into two pairs of yellow Sith irises.  It was testament to his exhaustion that he didn’t immediately follow up his attack with another but he’d been fighting for hours and on muddy terrain to boot.

Clearly, the two Sith were just as tired: both of them clung to their sabers, catching their breath.  Rikard knew that he had to act and quickly.  Without taking his eyes off of his opponents, he Pulled on the earth with the Force, focusing with all of his might directly at the ground under the two Siths’ feet whilst simultaneously backflipping out of the way.  Violently, the buried rocks beneath the Sith erupted skywards, shredding both bodies.  As Rikard landed heavily, he was oblivious to the filth on his face, beard, and armor as it rained blood, offal, and mud upon him.

Winded, Rikard took stock of his surroundings and was grateful to see that the fighting around him had died down, his own Clansmen obviously victorious.  …About Maker-damned time… He thought.  Jedi victories had been the exception rather than the rule, at least this day.

Jedi Lord Gale had led them across the Ruusan plains in a mad attempt to silence the Sith artillery turrets that had been dropping death and destruction upon the collective heads of the Army of Light.  And while Gale had been unwavering in his bravery, his tactics had been…debatable.  Gale’s two most senior generals were at odds with how to achieve their objective, polarizing their respective contingents to either side: General Kiel Charny of Corellia and “Black” Rikard Macias, Kage of the Vhal’Dan Clans.

Rikard had wanted to wait under the cover of darkness and take a squad of Guardians supplemented by Shadows, using stealth and subterfuge to take the out the Sith encampment’s guns.  Kiel loudly proclaimed for the “honor” of a full-frontal assault, reminding everyone that they were “Jedi” and only cowards would employ such tactics.  And while taking the insult in stride, Rikard’s face impassive, he reminded them of the reality they faced.

“We are at war and our objective is to win.  And for us to win, we need to eradicate our enemy.  If I could, I’d gladly kill the Sith while they slept.  As long as they die and me and mine live…that is my strategy.”  Silence followed Rikard’s quietly intense words until Lord Gale stepped between his two generals.

“We shall assault the encampment until the turrets are destroyed.”  He looked pointedly at first Rikard and then Kiel.  “But General Macias is in command.  You will submit to his authority.”  The last was said directly to Charny.  Nodding, the Corellian locked eyes with Rikard, the larger Corellian trying to loom over the slender general.  Neither man backed down.  “Jedi, generals…you are dismissed.”  Lord Gale’s tone broached no argument.  And with that, both men turned and headed towards their respective commands.

…Was it only this morning…? Rikard thought, his mind sluggish from exertion.  Looking up, he saw the first of Ruusan’s three moons already high in the sky, twilight starting to darken the eastern horizon.  Extinguishing his saberstaff, he sat on one of the larger boulders jutting from the mud. 

It was only after he’d sat that he suddenly realized that the Sith cannonade had gone silent.  Removing a muddy glove, Rikard rubbed at his eyes to ensure that his sight was not playing tricks on him.  When he looked again, sure enough, the Sith turrets were not only silent but were indeed smoldering ruins.  Breathing a sigh of relief, he slumped the rest of the way down upon the boulder, his armor feeling as if it weighed more than a Hutt.

He sensed her before he heard her but the innocuous serenity of the moment was broken by his adjutant—and friend—Sulen Reu Lai, Arbiter of the Vhal’Dan.  “…Rikard are you OK?”  Her slanted eyes were full of worry, her copper skin as dirt-covered as his own.  He noticed that her armor had several carbon scores on it but she seemed none the worse for wear despite what were obviously saber burns on the plate.

Smiling, he nodded…and immediately regretted it.  A wave of vertigo washed through him and it was all that he could do not to vomit.  He felt a gentle touch upon his face, Sulen’s hands cupping his face as she directed healing flows from the Force into and through him.  “…Thanks Su.”  He grinned, thankful.  Gesturing with a hand, he asked.  “Does that mean what I think it does?”  The tall woman gave a perfunctory smile, her rich brown eyes never once leaving Rikard’s face.

“It does.  Our forces finally got through the encampment’s defenses and fragged the artillery.”  She dropped her hands.  “I’m surprised; I thought you would have been the one to lead the vanguard.”  He saw the gallows humor of her tone reflected in her eyes.

“Frell that.  Kiel wants ‘glory.’  Let him and Gale have it.  I’ll not uselessly waste the lives of my Clansmen…” His voice trailed off when he noticed the odd look on Sulen’s face.  “What is it?”  Inadvertently, Rikard stood up.  The tall woman joined him, her eyes level with his.

“Lord Gale’s dead.  Word from Lord Hoth came down right before I found you.” Sulen’s face was stoic, her back rigid.  …Damn she’s a good Arbiter… He thought and not for the first time.  Instead, he slowly inhaled before speaking.

“‘May the Maker speed him to his rest.’” His litany was said almost by rote but Sulen knew that her Kage was being sincere.  “So am I to assume that Kiel just got promoted?”  He laughed humorlessly.  “He’ll like that: ‘Jedi Lord Charny’ indeed… I swear, the only true warrior of the seven Lords that Hoth has is Kage Ga'Lan'Chillum of the Mak’Tor.”  His hood fell back as he ran a hand through his blonde hair, his gaze on the faraway conflagration of the—now former—Sith encampment.  “The war against the Sith is far from over, regardless of what we accomplished today…”  He looked back at Sulen.  Again, he was surprised by what his Arbiter had to say.

“General Kiel…was not in command.  Gale gave that to you.”  She let that set in for a moment, moving by Rikard so as to stand in front of him.  “As I said, I spoke to Hoth.  Seems that there are now two ‘true warriors’ counted among the Lords…” Rikard sighed, slowly shaking his head.

“…Damn.  Knowing Hoth, refusing is so much a worthless gesture…”  Again, Sulen grinned momentarily but soon sobered.  A sudden, strong gust of wind carrying the smoke and stench of death blew her hood off, loosening her long, straight black hair.

“Rikard…Lord Hoth demanded to speak to you forthwith.”  Sulen was all business now.

Slowly nodding, Rikard started walking towards the transports he’d hidden in the event they’d needed immediate exfil.  “I’m sure.  With those guns gone, the Army of Light is presented with a strategic opportunity, one Hoth will want to take advantage of…” He continued talking to Sulen, making necessary plans concerning the tactics and strategy that would best ensure victory.  And, true, he was committed to the cause of the Republic and the annihilation of the Sith, but his first loyalty would always be to his Clan.  And he knew that after a thousand years of conflict, the end of the New Sith War would not mean peace…at least not for everyone.  And so, he prepared.

Jedi Lord “Black” Rikard Macias, Kage to the Vhal’Dan Clans hoped he was wrong but knew without a doubt that they’d crossed an event horizon from which the entire galaxy would be forever changed…

And he would do whatever he could to ensure the survival of his own people.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2018, 01:30:12 AM »

Wow what a different setting!  Battle of Ruusan (though we all know how the 9th ended...), great historical detail as always Dutch, but also a peak into the Vhal Dan, this isn't the Vhal Dan of Zearics time, nor even of Kazic given they are 'Clansmen' still - yet still some similarities in their preferred tactics for stealthy rather than direct assault preferred by Charny.  And the final line "And he would do whatever he could to ensure the survival of his own people." has shades of Anson in it, or rather Anson has shades of Rikard considering the time line...how long before that objective competes with the demands of Hoth I wonder. In some ways Rikard's words "If I could, I’d gladly kill the Sith while they slept.  As long as they die and me and mine live…that is my strategy" sounds more like something an Aethan would say than a Jedi or Vhal Dan of even Kazics era.

Looking forward to seeing more of where this goes.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »

Woot!  Awesome peek into 'history' Dutchman!  I love it.  :-) 

I was trying to sort out WHICH battle of Ruusan this is, but Lord Hoth is there so I have to assume this is near the end of the New Sith Wars.  Loved the shout out to the Mak'Tor!  This early glimpse into the Vhal'Dan is a great way to see how the groups we know in our "present" have changed.  This is 1000 years ago.  Imagine how much different a place like, oh, England was in 1000 AD compared to 2000 AD.  This has some of that feel to it, and its exciting to meet these folks and start to share a little in their struggles.  The New Sith War was a fight for survival, winner gets the galaxy and the loser died.  That war went on for a millenium.  It wasn't just a conflict, it was the status quo.  That conflict shaped the Jedi in many ways, and the end of it resulted in their 'demilitarization' under the Ruusan Reformation.  But what were they like ... before?

As LSG said, the attitude expressed is very different than  what we'd expect from a Vhal'Dan or Mak'Tor or even a Jedi in the modern era.  But these are battle-hardened, war-weary wizards, not peace-keeping magi. 

Looking forward to more of this!  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:27 PM »

Thanks guys!  As you probably guessed, this is going to be one of the next Vhal'Dan stories but one that I'll be doing a little less frequently so I can finish my other projects  Smiley

Oh, and it takes place during the Fourth Battle of Ruusan   Wink

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #365 on: September 18, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »

Tinker...

Peg Shar, Halla Sector, Mid-Rim
5 ABY

Alex was in heaven.

"This is a junkyard.  I thought you said we were going to go shopping?"  Joanna said, scanning the expanse of broken and burned-out components.  There was some order to it - the piles were sorted by size and body part mainly - but beyond that there was no order to the warehouse.  Torsos were stacked in one place, arms in another, astro-mech droid bodies here, dome heads there...  "How are you going to find what you need here?"

Alex's eyes  twinkled.  "Well....  We just have to look around.  Concentrate on the piles of torsos over there.  Look for anything that isn't charred..."

With a sigh Joanna nodded and dove into one of the piles.  Alex had been working on his droid project for over a year now, but logic circuits, memory matrix components and a solid motivator were very expensive parts to purchase new.  With so much of their income going to keeping the Hope flying buying them outright was just not possible.  When a contact at the spaceport had mentioned Joto's Salvage Yard it had seemed like a good alternative....

Joanna picked up one of the components, what looked to be the remnants of a protocol droid.  It looked intact ... until she peered inside.  The electronics in the chest cavity were fused and melted into a blob of confused alloy.  She glanced over at Alex, who was enthusiastically digging through a far larger pile nearby.  His face was lit with the joy of discovery, like an explorer looking for lost treasure.  Joanna just grinned at her husband and turned back to her own search.  "At least I remembered to wear gloves..."

Alex was approaching his fourth pile when he felt it.  A tremor in the force...   He paused and concentrated on it, and the tremor resolved into a very clear message:

<help me>

Alex felt his eyes go wide.  Where was it?   He scanned around, waiting, listening...

<help me>

There!  Alex had a beed on it now...  It was coming from across the room, from a large pile of parts shattered by blaster fire and explosions.  Alex abandoned the pile of astromech domes he'd been about to search and moved carefully toward the voice.

<help me>

Alex could hear it more distinctly now.   It was close ... and buried under a pile of destroyed security droids and police droids.  Most of these machines hadn't even been disassembled, they were simply tossed into a long pile of broken bits along the back wall.  As he approached Alex could see a loader working at one end of the pile, moving the scrap into a furnace for final reclamation as raw material.  Urgency filled him - he had to move quickly, or .... whatever it was ... would be lost forever...

<help me ... please!>

I'm coming! Alex hadn't communicated with anyone in the force for years.  He spent most of his time hiding his abilities and cloaking his presence in the force, lest he betray himself and his wife to an Inquisitor or observant bounty hunter.  And this touch felt ... odd.  More like a computer than another person....   Alex looked down the line at the loader.  He had four-five minutes at most before it reached this place and sent whoever was trapped here into oblivion.   A quick tug on the blasted torso of a B2 battle droid confirmed that there was no way he was going to physically move the pile in time.  With a sigh Alex dropped his cloak, stepping out of the "hole" he'd been using to cover his presence in the force, and he reached out to do a quick scan around himself.   Nothing flared, no dark siders nearby, but there, under the pile, was the unmistakable flash of energy from another force user!

<help me ... I am almost out of energy>

Hang on... Alex concentrated and unconciously extended his hand, lifting the droid parts carefully one-by-one, moving them aside.  The loader was nearly to them when he moved the last droideka to reveal what looked like an Old Republic-era Skytrooper.  The shattered droid was missing arms and legs, the head was half-gone, and there were two gaping holes in the chest plate which clearly showed the internals were burned out.  Alex ran his hands over the plastron, looking for release latches...   There!  They were fused as well but a stiff push from the force popped them open and he was able to access the internals.  As he'd expected the electronics were fused, but there was a small flare of power from a strange interface...

"Hey buddy!  Youse gonna be long der?"  Alex looked back at the annoyed face of the loader.  "I gotsta move dis pile of scrap down the line.  Nuthin' in der works no-how..."

"So I see." Alex replied.  He grabbed the interface and tugged, ripping it away from the fused motivator board.  "I thought maybe this interface module might work for my project.  It has a very old motivator board, and its nearly impossible to find these obsolete D-12 interfaces..."

"Yeah, yeah.  Youse wanna trust dat crep it's on you.  I jes gotta get dis scrap cleared out.  Youse done?"

Alex smiled and nodded.  "Yes.  Thank you."  Alex tucked the interface away as the loader returned to his work.  As he headed back toward the pile of domes he'd passed before he felt a wave of relief and gratefulness in the force.

You're welcome...

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #366 on: September 18, 2018, 10:29:14 PM »

Alex is back! Crawling out of the junkyard almost literally....and a curious find 3000+years after the fact...Curiosity can lead to carelessness – stop, check and verify

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #367 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:30 PM »

I'm glad that you decided to bring Alex back; he's an interesting character with a compelling intro (both in-story and meta-  Wink).  I have to wonder just what this little incident prefaces in the larger 'Verse  Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2018, 08:45:27 PM »

I'm glad that you decided to bring Alex back; he's an interesting character with a compelling intro (both in-story and meta-  Wink).  I have to wonder just what this little incident prefaces in the larger 'Verse  Smiley

LOL  Yeah, me, too!   ;-)

Seriously, I have an inspiration and a vague idea where I'm going.  As I get the outline planed down I hope it comes into better focus.   Does make a person wonder, though, what a Shard or Tsil might be able to do as a spy....   :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #369 on: September 25, 2018, 01:45:23 AM »

Yes, I too am glad you brought Alex back. I can't help but wonder if maybe this droid with access to the Force might be an Iron Knight like we saw in Brothers recently. Still, can't wait to see where you go with it.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #370 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »

Tailor...

Peg Shar Spaceport, aboard "Hope II"
Halla Sector
Mid-Rim
5 ABY

Alex finished the last solder on the primary bus, carefully wrapping the collection of cables into a protective sheath and sealing it into place.  The KX-series security droid had been heavily modified, the over-long arms and body bulked and tailored into what Alex thought of as a "Gladiator" design.  The overall armor protection of the new droid had been increased by nearly 300%, with internal space in the fore-arms for blasters as well as enhanced sensors and communications gear.  The heavier structure and sheathing had also required heavier actuators and joints, as well as a greatly increased power supply.  The final product looked very much like a standard KX-series wearing armor, with the exception of the head.  He'd considered adding a "helmet" but had instead made the sensors and systems in the head - primarily centered around EM-band and light detection as well as auditory input and output - redundant with backup in other parts of the arms and upper torso.

One side effect for this droid would be that it literally had "eyes" in its forearms torso, front and back.  Fortunately, the droid 'brain' would have no difficulty sorting and presenting the inputs in whatever format the Shard desired.  or so he hoped, at any rate...

Alex grabbed his padd and plugged it into the secondary data processing system wired into the motivator board.  The socket for the primary - the droid's brain - was empty, and he'd spent long hours modifying it to accept the old D-12 interface the Shard's CPU employed.  The secondary unit only contained basic operating system software for the droid body itself - drivers for the servos and gyros, control systems and data bus controllers for the various sensor systems, hardware interfaces ... everything the Shard would need to 'run' its new body.  But no AI, no 'personality'.

The diagnostic programs completed, showing no faults or glitches.  Alex input simple commands, and the droid stood up, walked around the bay, crouched, did some push-ups, recited a passage from the Book of the Way and read off the serial numbers from the crates stacked along the edge of the bay.  No glitches, no errors, no faults.  The body was ready.

It was time...

Alex disconnected his padd and retrieved the primary interface containing the Shard.  The compartment it would occupy in the droid's torso was heavily armored and shielded from EMP and ion disruption.  It had its own emergency power supply, enough to run the droid's critical systems for weeks ... or the Shard's interface alone for decades. 

The entire unit was a bit heavy and Alex called on the force to assist as he hefted it into place.  Once installed and connected he carefully closed the abdomen access panels, and with a deep breath he made the final power connection that would feed power to the internal busses - and give the Shard access and control for the first time.

Alex stepped back as the droid powered up under independent control for the first time, and his saber was in his hand.  He was open to the force, concentrating on the droid, on the Shard, sampling its emotions, wary of any sudden move or aggressive feelings...

None came.  Instead the droid stood carefully, moving slowly as the Shard took stock of the new droid body it found itself wearing.  It looked around, taking in the work-room Alex had created in the hold of the Hope II before focussing on him ... and then his saber.  "Hello.  Are you ... the person ... who ... answered ... me?" it asked, the words emerging with gaps as the droid adjusted its basic vocorder setting, raising the pitch and tamber of the droids voice from the mid-range tenor to a decidedly feminine soprano. 

Alex nodded, relaxing as sensed the curiosity and simple gratitude of the Shard.  "Yes."

The Shard nodded.  "Thank you.  I was ... damaged ... in an attack some time ago and went dark to save my remaining energy, but when I sensed your presence I decided to take a chance.  My small interface had just enough power for me to confirm that what I sensed was, in fact, a person ... and that I was in very immediate danger of ending.  Master Jedi, I am forever in your debt."  The Shard bowed, the movement graceful and utterly disconcerting coming from the inherently clumsy-looking security droid.  "I am called Opal.  How my I address you, Master Jedi?"

Alex raised his hand.  "Please, I am not a Jedi.  In fact, there are no more Jedi, at least not to my knowledge.  My name is Alexander Krin, but my friends call me Alex." 

"Very well ... Alex." The droid stepped forward and extended it's hand.  Alex grinned, hung his saber back on his belt, and took the hand, grateful to find the droid appreciated its strength - and knew how to regulate it.

The droid made a sound that approximated a chuckle.  "Not a Jedi?  I find that ... hard to believe, friend Alex."  Opal cocked her head to the side.  "So ... what do you do?

Alex grinned and waved Opal toward the work station and his tools.  "Well ... today, I'm a tailor." 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #371 on: September 26, 2018, 07:38:30 PM »

Hmm... Interesting development there. Somehow Opal was able to sense Alex through the Force, but as was stated in the last interlude, Alex has become a master of Force suppression, and keeps himself hidden at all times. He didn't emerge from his "hole" until after he had heard the voice of the Shard. I wonder what that will lead to. If anything. Excited for more Alex. Smiley

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #372 on: September 26, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »

You caught that.   Nice.   ;-)

*whispers to himself*  You didn't notice that ... and you wrote it!  You're going to just let him believe you planned this all along?
*SHHHHH!*  Yes!  Now quiet fool!

[notices Teagan looking at him]  Um, yeah.  Nice catch! 

*slinks away*

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #373 on: September 27, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »

Tinkering and Tailoring...hmmm...he'd better be careful - Alex might be able to hide his presence and avoid the Empire and inquisitors...but can Opal do the same....presumably as a 'force' based entity it couldn't unless it goes into hibernation again - but once awakened will it want to?

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #374 on: September 27, 2018, 01:26:54 PM »

Tinkering and Tailoring...hmmm...he'd better be careful - Alex might be able to hide his presence and avoid the Empire and inquisitors...but can Opal do the same....presumably as a 'force' based entity it couldn't unless it goes into hibernation again - but once awakened will it want to?

DING DING DING

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: