Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: What do you look for in a dueling saber?  (Read 4988 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

Well, I have recently ordered a ton of the Apprentice/Sentinel and the Initiate/Aeon/Dominix sabers of each v2/v3/v4 to have a nice variety for classes, so I'll be able to play around with which choke points and design I prefer.

I was more wondering about sabers that are based on movie/show models.  Sabers like Electrum Wind, Fulcrum + Lost Gray, Emperor's Hand, Graflex, or Chosen One.  Going into the cheaper price range, something like Bellicose, Prophecy, Liberator, Archon, Consular, Overlord, Arbiter, or Monarch.

Of course I wouldn't be looking at things like the Scorpion, Raven, Reaper, etc. with all the claws on them for a duel, but something that looks like its grip was designed to be held onto while smacking sabers hard against each other.

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »

Well, I have recently ordered a ton of the Apprentice/Sentinel and the Initiate/Aeon/Dominix sabers of each v2/v3/v4 to have a nice variety for classes, so I'll be able to play around with which choke points and design I prefer.

I was more wondering about sabers that are based on movie/show models.  Sabers like Electrum Wind, Fulcrum + Lost Gray, Emperor's Hand, Graflex, or Chosen One.  Going into the cheaper price range, something like Bellicose, Prophecy, Liberator, Archon, Consular, Overlord, Arbiter, or Monarch.

With my Emperor's Hand, I use a two-handed grip, with one toward the bottom between the screws and the other just below where the emitter meets the body. Combined with a heavy blade, it's a hard-hitter for sure.

Of course I wouldn't be looking at things like the Scorpion, Raven, Reaper, etc. with all the claws on them for a duel, but something that looks like its grip was designed to be held onto while smacking sabers hard against each other.

While I ended up taking the claws off my Reaper, it still makes a great two-hander. It's not as heavy as the Emperor's Hand, which could take some power out of your strikes, it's large enough to allow plenty of torque on a swing, so you still will get some heavier strikes with it.

For one hand, I'd use either the EH (still possible if gripped in the correct location) or my Dark Sentinel v4. It's got a great choke point just below the emitter.

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 02:38:54 AM »

Comfortable choke points, balance and hilt length. I prefer a two handed style so the longer the hilt the better for me. Also consider, gloves are needed for dueling and take up a lot more space than bare hands. That extra space can change the choke points and the room you have for leverage.
When I duel one handed, balance is paramount. I also prefer a lighter, quicker hilt.
After much experimentation, I have settled on the Dark Sentinel LE V4 (with a few customizations) as my primary two handed saber for most dueling. You get a good look at this saber when I cover gear in our lastest video. Then you get to see it in heavy action! I prefer the Dominix V2 as my go-to Makashi (one handed) saber and primary hand saber for Jar’Kai. I’ll have a new video up next week using this saber one handed in a duel.
Click on my signature below for the videos.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 02:41:32 AM »

Dark Sentinel LE, is also my no-nonsense go to workhorse dueler.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »

Comfortable choke points, balance and hilt length. I prefer a two handed style so the longer the hilt the better for me. Also consider, gloves are needed for dueling and take up a lot more space than bare hands. That extra space can change the choke points and the room you have for leverage.
When I duel one handed, balance is paramount. I also prefer a lighter, quicker hilt.
After much experimentation, I have settled on the Dark Sentinel LE V4 (with a few customizations) as my primary two handed saber for most dueling. You get a good look at this saber when I cover gear in our lastest video. Then you get to see it in heavy action! I prefer the Dominix V2 as my go-to Makashi (one handed) saber and primary hand saber for Jar’Kai. I’ll have a new video up next week using this saber one handed in a duel.
Click on my signature below for the videos.

Gloves are an interesting point.  I should soon have a full complement of the Dominix/Sentinel and the shorter versions in v2, v3, and v4 soon.  When I do I am planning on doing a review on which are the most comfortable.  I will have to add gloves to the mix as well.  I want to rank them along various categories such as spinning, or 1-handed and 2-handed dueling.  I guess I'll have to add gloves to the list as well.

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 03:01:47 AM »

For this, I feel that there are objective features as well as subjective ones.  In the objective arena, streamlined hilts which have minimal diameter and protrusions are the obvious commonality among most duelers.  As far as subjectivity goes, size and shape come into play.  Some, for instance myself, tend to prefer shorter hilts to use one handed.  It's not that longer hilts can't be used with one hand, just that the extra length is likely not needed in most situations.  For those who prefer using two hands in most situations, a longer hilt provides more leverage and comfort.

Apart from that, I'd say a reasonably deep (1.5 inches or more) blade socket, as well as an unobtrusive pommel are important.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: