Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Thinking about doing Star Wars - The Chase with my family  (Read 774 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: November 01, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

When I was a kid, nobody would play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit with me.  The best I could hope for is that I'd go last, because once it got to my turn, the game was over.  The rest of my family was not competing to win, but rather to see who could get the most points in one turn, before I ran the board.  There was one guy who I actually did play with, and like a billiards champion, whoever went first won the game, because the other person didn't even get a turn.

So I've thought about getting one of the newer versions of the game (with questions I don't know) and having a family member help me out as the host of The Chase.  For those who haven't seen the show, The Chase features a 6'7 350-pound monstrosity of a man, who also happens to be a classically-educated British trivia genius, nicknamed "The Beast", who chases contestants through the trivia game.  The games are set up to give a handicap to The Beast so that the contestants have a fighting chance against him.  The show takes place over three rounds:
Round 1 - Money Builder - a contestant answers questions for 1 minute, and "earns" $5000 per question (not saved)
Round 2 - The Chase - the contestant and the beast are asked multiple choice questions simultaneously.  If the contestant is right the money moves 1 space closer to the bank.  If The Beast is right he moves 1 step closer to the contestant.  Before the Chase, the beast will give the contestant a low-ball and high-ball offer (for example, if the contestant won $20,000, the beast might offer $10,000 and $45,000), and the contestant can choose to start 1 step closer to the bank and 1 step away from the beast, or 1 step closer to the beast and away from the bank (basically a risk/reward assessment).  If the player reaches the bank, the player goes to the Final Chase and brings the money they earned to the Final Chase, if the Beast catches the player then they are out.
Round 1 and round 2 repeat 3 times, once for each of the 3 contestants.
Round 3 - The Final Chase - the remaining contestants have a 2-minute speed round of answering questions.  They get spotted 1 step per contestant remaining (so 3 members still in = 3 steps ahead).  The Beast then gets 2 minutes to answer questions.  However, if the Beast passes or gets a question wrong, the Contestants get several seconds (with the timer stopped) to answer, and if they're right they push the Beast back.  If the beast catches the contestants' record he wins, if his time expires, they win.

So, here's my thought.  First, The Chase gives a lot of leeway to the contestants.  They start well ahead of the Beast on the Chase, they have multiple people answering questions in The Final Chase, and the Beast can be pushed back in The Final Chase.  Also, while the host is fair in how she asks questions, she always roots against the Beast, which may be somewhat demoralizing.  So, maybe...just maybe...I'll have a fair fight on my hands against my family members if I re-did Star Wars Trivial Pursuit in this manner.

In order to do this, I would need to set up the rules:
1) Would we use a money-builder phase?  Because we wouldn't be playing for money, I would probably skip this step, unless we set up a point system.
2) If we don't use a money builder, then the various offers before The Chase are moot.  I will need to figure out if a point system is in order or if it's just win/lose.
3) The Chase would require one person (not me) to convert dozens of the questions into multiple choice questions.  We would also need a system where we could lock in our answers before revealing whether we chose option A, B, or C on the multiple choice.
4) There would probably be at least 2 people managing the game, as one would need to be the host asking questions (and rooting for the other players), and another would need to keep time.  Of course, we could have a player who is not currently competing keep time.

I think this would at least be a fun experiment to be the big bad in a board game against the rest of the players.  These are just some of my thoughts on the subject.  What do you guys think?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: