Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow Etude  (Read 22531 times)
TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« on: November 03, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »

OK!  This thread is meant to be read concurrently with Karm's excellent "Wind Chimes."  Whenever we have a crossover, I'll post the timeline prior just in case  Wink  My thanks to my friends for inspiration and feedback  Smiley

Special thanks to Karm for suggesting this  Grin

*****************************************************************************************************************
SHADOW ETUDE

Chapter 1: A Collaboration in Gray: New Friends (takes place immediately after "Wind Chimes, Ch.2 'Allies'")

Orange lightsaber?!  The thought drilled through my mind.  Seemingly of its own accord, my right hand flexed.  Even now, years later, I could feel the searing agony within my arm.  Beside me, D’Aylanna moved imperceptibly, her hand a calming touch on my elbow; but moreso, her soothing caress with the Force as we shared our bond.

Master Chillum continued.  “Considering the two targets Kage Oyuna and Kage Silman agreed that we should split our effort.  D’Aylanna’s team is headed to Kuat to follow up on the lead there.  Karmack, you and Arnor will go to Sallust and track down Julwynn.  Our primary objective is to stop whatever devices or weapons these enhanced crystals are being prepared for.  If we can recover the crystals as well and liberate them that would be a bonus.”

Focusing on the situation at hand, I berated myself for getting distracted.  Looking down into D’Aylanna’s dark eyes, I nodded my gratitude.  From behind me, Jorya spoke, “Master…could it really be…?”

Turning, I forced myself to smile and project confidence that I did not feel.  “Don’t worry, Dear One.  It’s a wide galaxy.  Besides: we have a job to do.  You heard Master Chillum.  We need to find out more about these Night Sisters, specifically Jennira.  Thanks to the Mak’Tor intelligence, we’ve been able to deduce a few items of note.  Most pertinent: Jennira was last seen at Kuat.  THAT is our lead.”  Turning my head to D’Aylanna, I was about to speak when she did.

Shakal.  I must needs speak to Master Chillum and Kage Silman.  Please excuse me.  Try to behave yourself.”  Her eyes twinkled.  “Try acting more like Master Karmack.  He seems a man of refinement and propriety.”  A light brush of her blue lips, she kissed me and was gone.

Smiling, I went to approach Karmack.  But before I could take a step, I felt Jorya’s hand upon my shoulder.  Facing her, I looked down and noticed a tentative look upon her face, her eyes coy.  “Father?”  I mentally switched roles, no longer in the mindset of “maenowan.”  She continued, “Father, I’d like to…look upon the Mak’Tor Spire.  It’s always been a dream of mine.”

I was astonished; I didn’t know that Jorya shared my own love of architecture and geology.  I must have been silent for too long because she softly added, almost pleadingly, “Please?”

My mouth spread into a smile that radiated pride, pride and love.  “Of course, Dear One.  I’m sorry; I…I just never knew that you had a shared interest.”

Hugging me, she laughed gracefully, “Oh Father, I forget that Mother doesn’t always tell you everything.  Thanks!  Love you!”  The last two sentences came out as a single word as Jorya ran off.  I shook my head disbelievingly.

“They grow up so quickly.”  A deep, rich voice sounded behind me.  Turning, I looked at Master Karma—Karm—and smiled.  His eyes followed Jorya’s retreating footfalls, but then turned them towards me.  And there it was, in his eyes: a kindred spirit.  “Takes after her mother, I take it?”

Yes.  I think I like this man…

“Yes, thank the Maker,” I laughed.  “In looks as well as temperament.”  Solemnity followed for a moment.  “I’m sorry for my abruptness earlier; I must admit that I was…amazed.  Kage Silman is…legendary.  Of the Water Warriors, no one is more esteemed.  I have to say that I am still in awe.  My own Nexu Master, Pranay Torsin, waxed nostalgic concerning his Water Master: Kage Silman.”

Waving his hand past in welcome, I fell in besides Karm.  He had the graceful gait I immediately recognized as that of a master warrior.  But then, I knew that already.  Robes whispering around us as we slowly walked, I casually asked, “From your comment earlier, I take it that you are a father yourself from experience?”

Karm smiled, a proud set to his face…but something beneath, subtle…worry?  “Yes.  In fact, my eldest, Kenneniah, will be assigned as my teidowan.”  Ah, of course.

“He could not have a better master, Karm.”  I grinned, suddenly reflective.  “I’m not sure if you’d remember, I was a koawan at the time, but I actually saw you before.”  Karm’s face looked inquisitive while I continued.  “You were teaching a class in ‘remote tactical techniques.’  Every single koawan and teidowan in attendance spoke about it for months afterwards, amazed at the Silver Koawan that could use the Force with such precision and acuity.”

Looking introspective, the Gray master remembered, nodding.  “On Sekot.  About…a decade ago?”

I concurred.  “Good memory.  Sorry; I only mention it now knowing that your son is soon to be your teidowan.”  I looked towards where Jorya had disappeared to.  “I was fortunate enough that my daughter was assigned into apprenticeship to me.  It gave me the focus I needed.”  I looked directly into Karm’s eyes; again, seeing a man of wisdom.  “The necessary acuity.  And the prudence to know when to be a master and when to be a parent.”

He smiled warmly.  “Looks like you learned the lesson the way most men do: the hardest.”  Knowingly, he glanced towards my hand and, lower, at my left leg.  Incredible.  Yes, this was definitely that powerful Silver Knight I’d seen.  No, no I admonished myself; this is a master.  Feeling at ease, I laughed and continued towards the woman he had been leading me towards, I now realized.

“My love,” Karm fondly called to his wife, the woman that I’d only briefly met.

Easily turning, she smiled at Karm.  “Letch.”  However, she circled her arm through his and around his waist, standing by him.  Hearing the interchange, I was reminded of the playfulness between D’Aylanna and myself.  Again, I found myself thinking I like them…

And seeing Karm and Arnor together, I could almost…hear their affinity.  It was…incredible.  Was this was what was meant by hearing…the Song?  The Vhal’Dan Order had no equivalent, much less a comparison.  It was almost…indescribable; akin to explaining colors to a person without eyes.  Regardless, it was…extraordinary.  Thank the Maker that the Mak’Tor had some members on Sekot; I’d been the recipient of their singular gifts more times than I cared to think about.  Mentally shaking my head, I approached Arnor.

“Lady Arnor.”  As disparate from D’Aylanna as she was, Arnor was VERY much like her: a beautiful woman but moreover, her presence was remarkable.  I had the distinct feeling that she was not only a warrior in her own right, but—like Karm—a master.  I couldn’t help but feel amused: Karm and I had probably chosen the two most dangerous women in the galaxy.  What did that say about us?

As if reading my mind, Arnor smiled.  “Maenowan Zearic.  Your wife is lovely.  Such an incredible woman.  And Jorya; I see that your…daughter is as excitable as our eldest.”  Only the slightest of pauses; I couldn’t help but smile: Arnor WAS exceptionally perceptive.  “I trust you’ve given her some latitude to…explore?”

“Please, my Lady, if you’d do me the benefit of calling me Zearic.  And yes.  Somehow, she takes after me in being enamored with archaic geology.  Poor girl, I doubt that it will make her popular.”  I looked wistful.

“Actually, Zearic, she’s done you a favor.  Now you don’t need to worry about her attracting the wrong kind of attention.”  I laughed at Karm’s wit.

“Point.” I conceded, still grinning.

Arnor smiled up at her husband and then glanced at me.  “Vih’Torr.  That’s a Hapan name.”  Arnor’s eyes shined.  “House Royal?”

Shaking my head, I laughed.  “How is it you do that?  Sorry, my Lady; D’Aylanna seems to be able to read my mind without effort.”

“What makes you think that she doesn’t?”  The serious look on her face belied the levity of her mood.  This time, we all shared in our laughter.  “And, please, let neither of us stand on ceremony.  Arnor.”  Her eyes reflected the welcoming tone of her voice.

“La—Arnor, of course.  And you are correct.  Marquisa ta’a Chume.”  I hadn’t said D’Aylanna’s title aloud in…years.  “I took her name when we married.  I’m originally from Dalos IV.”

Knowing looks crossed both Karm’s and Arnor’s faces.  Dalos IV.  Originally a penal colony, the Empire had largely ignored it.  Consequently, there was virtually no government, except that from whichever warlord was in power at the time.  The populace was almost completely militarized, to a person.  Growing up there…you survived.  Or you died, nothing in-between.  Having lived there, I was lucky to have a FIRST name.  But with D’Aylanna, she not only gave me my full name but a HOME.  So unlike me, but I opened up to Karm and Arnor.

“Yes.  It was just…blind luck that I came upon a visiting maenowan who was on-planet.  Found me when I was twelve.  He…tested me for Force sensitivity, took me off-world to Sekot.”  What I didn’t say was that I was attempting to subconsciously use the Force to “appropriate” a few credits from Master Ovarug.  Again, I was surprised to find myself reflective: I hadn’t thought of Master Kazic Ovarug in years.  Smiling fondly in remembrance, I said a silent litany of gratitude.

Again, as if reading my mood, Karm and Arnor smiled genially.  Of course, the Song.  No wonder that these two could be so insightful and so…hospitable.  In a reprise of our earlier encounter, Karm and I shook hands.  Once again, the metallic grind of cybernetics sounded as we clasped hands.  This time, we both broke out fully laughing.

<<<<< >>>>>

“Master Chillum, thank you for seeing me; please forgive my duplicity but…well, I’m sure that you’ll understand.”  D’Aylanna spoke softly in the venerable Gray master’s rooms.

“Doni, please, lass,” His gruff voice said amiably.  “Now, what’s this about?”

Sensing the mood, D’Aylanna immediately relaxed.  “Doni, Oyuna wanted for me to extend not only her thanks but also her regrets that she could not personally attend you.”  Reaching into one of the pouches on her belt, she withdrew an elaborately colored cabochon.  As it moved, the polished stone’s colors slowly churned: first red, then green, blue, then orange, yellow, then purple, then back to red.  “She hopes that this will…do in lieu of words.”  She smiled, handing the artifact to him.

“Forgive me, Doni.  But I am desperately overdue to Kage Silman.”  Her dark eyes looked into Master Chillum’s clear ones, kindly smiling.  “But, I did promise Oyuna.”  Taking his larger between both of her smaller hands, she gently placed the cabochon in it.  Looking up at his face, D’Aylanna’s eyes told of her compassion.  Squeezing his hand, she quietly withdrew from Master Chillum’s apartments.

A sentimental set to his face, he looked at the stone.  Then, rubbing his index finger along a miniscule, almost imperceptible pleat that he knew would be there, the cabochon’s colors began to swirl.  The light combined, creating a gorgeous panoply of hues.

And then, faintly at first, music began to play.  As it continued, it became stronger yet more melodic, a harmony that was entirely exquisite as it was evocative.  Time had no meaning, flowing along the melody: lucid, tranquil, beautiful.  Softly it concluded, the music did not so much as stop but lingered…

A small smile playing on his lips, Master Chillum smiled.  “Ah, lass…”

<<<<< >>>>>

Later that night, D’Aylanna joined Karm, Arnor, and myself.  As I had expected (and, truth be told, feared), Arnor and D’Aylanna immediately took to one another.  Someone suggested dinner and it was all that Karm and I could do to keep our wives from relating every embarrassing tale, or at least that was my take from D’Aylanna’s choice of anecdotes.  But it was the generous nature of our hosts that made our stay on M’Tzigon memorable.

Much later in the evening, after D’Aylanna and I had returned to the furnished apartments lent to us, we found Jorya excitedly pouring over holovids concerning the Spire and its consequent history.  Smiling at my adoptive daughter, I looked down into my wife’s beautiful face.  By the Maker, could life get better? I asked myself.  Allowing myself a moment to reflect on my past, I had to admit that I’d been fortunate…more than I deserved.

Or perhaps not.  Perhaps…I also followed the Song, if inadvertently?  I would never suppose, never be so arrogant as to presume that… But, looking at D’Aylanna and to Jorya, I realized that as long as I had them—and now, friends like Karm and Arnor—that THIS was what mattered.  Tonight, I could rest.  Tonight, I could just be “Father,” “Husband,” and “Shakal.”  

Tomorrow, we would begin; to look for Jennira, to look for these so-called “Sith-Shadows.”  To find Namman Cha and ascertain his motives.  And to see if she was still alive, even after everything.

Gaetana.  She who had wounded me; worse, maimed Jorya.  I had not had such…rage, such…FURY in years.  I was transported back to the time before I’d learn to properly channel my anger and temper it with tranquility.  That was one of the reasons that I’d chosen the Water Warrior Order: to LEARN to be like Water.  Gentle.  Agile.  Yet absolutely unforgiving.

I smiled, transported back in time.  No.  No, that man no longer existed.  In his place was one older, wiser.  Deadlier.  I thought again of Karm.  Precision.  That was one of the most valuable lessons I’d learned, and learned well.  Acuity.  He’d tried to show me all those years ago but I was not mature enough to listen, to understand.  Power.  So much more than what I thought strength alone would give.  Wisdom.  I smiled.  My new friends had helped to remind me of the power in that.

Hugging me tightly, D’Aylanna added her own soothing via the Force.  Tonight, we celebrate life.  Tomorrow, we PROTECT life.

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »

Dutchman, that...  perfect.  :-)  Thank you so much, that is an excellent beginning and a great dove-tail to Wind Chimes.  :-)

I loved the exploration of Zearic and his background, his view of things and especially his origins.  There's a lot there, and its a great glimps into how far he's come.  I am really liking the development of Master Chillum as well.  He's a fun character but other than an enigmatic mentor I hadn't really fleshed him out like I should have, and what you're adding is more than I could have ever hoped for.  The characters are the real story, in any story, and you're definitely not skimping on that!  :-)

I do apologize for not commenting sooner.  Its been a LOOOONG weekend, we moved, and I still only have spotty internet access.  I do hope to have the next chapter up soon though.  In the mean time, this is just amazing and well begun! 

Here's to the journey! 

Karmack

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »

I keep thinking I've commented on something only to find that I haven't. Anyways, this is going to be awesome. Like Karm said, the depth of character that you have brought in is incredible. I am extremely excited and looking forward to seeing what happens, and reading this in conjunction with Wind Chimes.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »

Dutchman, that...  perfect.  :-)  Thank you so much, that is an excellent beginning and a great dove-tail to Wind Chimes.  :-)

I loved the exploration of Zearic and his background, his view of things and especially his origins.  There's a lot there, and its a great glimps into how far he's come.  I am really liking the development of Master Chillum as well.  He's a fun character but other than an enigmatic mentor I hadn't really fleshed him out like I should have, and what you're adding is more than I could have ever hoped for.  The characters are the real story, in any story, and you're definitely not skimping on that!  :-)

I do apologize for not commenting sooner.  Its been a LOOOONG weekend, we moved, and I still only have spotty internet access.  I do hope to have the next chapter up soon though.  In the mean time, this is just amazing and well begun! 

Here's to the journey! 

Karmack
Thanks Karm!  I was hoping to get the characterization right, ESPECIALLY with the excellent chapter in "Wind Chimes" you gave us  Smiley. And I am glad you liked the part with Master Chillum; I was hoping that I didn't overstep but when I was writing it, it seemed...natural  Wink

Glad that I was able do some back story to Zearic; more importantly, that it resonated!  I am hoping that we're able to do more of these crossovers (*cough TR, LSG!) as I am REALLY enjoying this development!  Next installment coming soon  Wink

And no worries Karm with timing^^  I figured everyone was on their weekend  Wink. On a serious note, I hope that your move went well  Smiley

I keep thinking I've commented on something only to find that I haven't. Anyways, this is going to be awesome. Like Karm said, the depth of character that you have brought in is incredible. I am extremely excited and looking forward to seeing what happens, and reading this in conjunction with Wind Chimes.
Lol no worries TR!  At your leisure my friend  Smiley

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »

This is an analog of D'Aylanna's Hapan-made Mandolorian light freighter Fenris' Dirge

Special thanks to Karm for giving me the idea (yep, I basically stole his)  Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:12 PM »

Oh, that is SWEET!  I think you've officially one-upped my ride!  ;-)

Seriously, other than a few tweaks to the overall look of the engines (maybe) that fits right into the greater SW universe without to much of a hitch.  They don't really talk all that much in most stories or places about the tech, it just is and does what you want it to do.  This is ... grittier.  Like the bank of VLS for drones and sensors/supply crates on the stern.  Very nice.  :-)

And I have found it helps to give the reader that image.  :-)  Makes everything fit better. 

Nice!

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »

Oh, that is SWEET!  I think you've officially one-upped my ride!  ;-)

Seriously, other than a few tweaks to the overall look of the engines (maybe) that fits right into the greater SW universe without to much of a hitch.  They don't really talk all that much in most stories or places about the tech, it just is and does what you want it to do.  This is ... grittier.  Like the bank of VLS for drones and sensors/supply crates on the stern.  Very nice.  :-)

And I have found it helps to give the reader that image.  :-)  Makes everything fit better. 

Nice!
"Grittier"  Perfect!  Thanks Karm; I was hoping for that given...what Zearic&Co. are going to...do  Wink

And agreed: having a visual DOES help.  Figured with D'Aylanna having ties to Hapes and Mandalorians being widespread throughout the galaxy, it would make a great infiltrator  Cheesy

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:30:45 PM »

Yes, that's a great story point tie-in.  :-)  And it would make a good infiltrator.  Also being Mandalorian (or taken for such) would have certain ... security benefits. 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 07:52:01 PM »

This is an analog of D'Aylanna's Hapan-made Mandolorian light freighter Fenris' Dirge

Special thanks to Karm for giving me the idea (yep, I basically stole his)  Wink

Hmm.. After looking at your and Karm's ships, I want to also steal the idea of putting pics of my ships up. Maybe in an interlude that I think might be coming or something. I'll have to see.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:11 PM »

That's a great idea TR!

Yes, that's a great story point tie-in.  :-)  And it would make a good infiltrator.  Also being Mandalorian (or taken for such) would have certain ... security benefits. 
Yes; my thoughts exact  Wink

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Chapter 2: Belly of the Beast

Kuat.

The small planet glowed an eerie green, the clouds in the stratosphere reflecting the starlight as it filtered into our small Hapan-engineered, Mandalorian infiltrator, Fenris’ Dirge.  The Orbital Array stood against the green atmosphere in stark contrast: gleaming quadranium hull plating created a metallic halo that looked as if it constrained the planet surface below.  The somber mood on the bridge was stifling; recollections of our time spent with Arnor and Karm distant.  Memories of the last time that I was here tried to suborn the goodwill we’d felt on M’Tzigon.   However, thanks to the efforts of D’Aylanna and Jorya, I felt better prepared this time around.

One of the positives was the fact that the Drive Yards was a mass of chaos.  With the Imperial defeat at Endor, the entire Navy had been thrown in disarray: three entire sector fleets destroyed, including Vader’s flagship, the star dreadnought Executor.  With such capital ship shortages, Kuat had found itself unable to keep up with the demand, to say nothing of the loss of key personnel that the Imperial Navy had experienced.  Working military doctrine surmised that a position aboard the Executor was a guaranteed fast-track through the ranks.  As such, any position that opened up on Vader’s flagship was filled immediately with the most qualified.  When we learned that it had been destroyed with all hands aboard, the Gray Jedi on Sekot breathed a little easier.

But even amidst the turmoil, Kuat was still a dangerous place to be.  The Imperial Navy was attempting to crack down hard on disorder.  And security surrounding the Orbital Array was at an absolute maximum.  However, the Empire had loosened its control over the planet itself.  Good for us; Mak’Tor intelligence had pinpointed Jennira’s location on Kuat proper.  As such, we had several advantages: thanks to D’Aylanna’s contacts in Hapan Intelligence, we’d been provided an Imperial transponder for our ship, which would identify us as Imperial Propulsion Engineers out of Mandalore.  Furthermore, a small part of the datadump that we’d identified from our previous trip allowed us several back-door exploits.  Finally, with the activity surrounding the shipyards, bureaucratic red-tape was a Gordian Knot that not even the Imperial Joint Admirals could easily navigate.

As D’Aylanna piloted us towards the Orbital Array, it gave Jorya and I the opportunity to peruse the current state of affairs.  While, yes, the Yards were chaotic, it was also a bustle of deliberate activity, consisting almost entirely of shipbuilding.  As I said, Imperial losses had been significant and the Yards’ supply was attempting to compensate the demand.  And star destroyers were always needed.  I had to hope that the Imperial war machine would be slow to recover, especially as we focused on our task.

Scanning the sky, I did a double take: anchored inside the defensive ring’s battery range, an enormous star dreadnought was in geosynchronous orbit.  Measuring almost 19 kilometers from stem to stern, the hull was completely jet black.  My mind hearkened back to that day on Byss when we’d flown over the Imperial Control Sector.  Closing my eyes, I focused using the Force, running through a mental recall technique.

As Jaim piloted us below the stratosphere, we saw that the entire landmass of the largest continent had been urbanized… Huge industrial and administrative complexes impaled the sky, while numerous shipyards were interspersed throughout.  In one particularly large drydock, an enormous skeletal chassis of what I could only presume would be a star destroyer was being assembled.  Only, this star destroyer was completely different than anything that I’d ever seen: it would be almost 18 kilometers in length, if the framework was any indication and it was completely jet-black.

Opening my eyes, I quietly spoke under my breath.  “Project Eclipse.”  Turning to my daughter, I told her, “Jorya, please give me any information concerning that…ship.”

Keying in the request, our ship’s databanks began divulging information to Jorya.  Efficiently, she keyed it over to my monitor.  The Eclipse.  It must be the same one I’d seen almost a decade hence.  “By the Maker…” It dwarfed even the Executor in sheer volume, and Vader’s flagship had been a nightmare.  But the Eclipse?  I admonished myself; one problem at a time.  I was needed here and now.

Shakal.  The Mak’Tor intelligence has noted sightings of Jennira at a location in a manufacturing district outside Kuat City.  I shall be landing near there.”  D’Aylanna’s voice was somewhat distracted as she maneuvered our ship through the space lanes.  “Which means we should make planet-fall just after dusk.”

Speaking softly, almost to myself, I said, “Yes, that would figure.  I imagine that she is attempting to fabricate the machinery necessary to incorporate the Adegan Pontite they would need to ‘program.’  But the crystals themselves couldn’t possibly be in the city.  It must be a rural location.”  Turning my head to Jorya, I spoke in my normal volume.  “Jorya, see if you can scan for cratons on the surface; they should be the oldest geologically stable structures.”  Adding as an afterthought, “And narrow the search parameters to account for humidity factors ranging below 5%.”  Pontite, the rarest of Kyber crystals, required low moisture percentages within the climate.

Punching in the necessary information, Jorya waited while the datanode computed all possible locations.  “Master, there are over two dozen possible sites.  Wait; several can be eliminated; they are surrounded by alluvial deposits.”  I couldn’t help but feel pride; she truly did have my love of geology.  Alluvium was indicative of erosion, specifically water erosion.  Pontite would not form with such geological conditions.  

“Good.  After you eliminate those…?” I left the question hanging.

Jorya grinned while she compiled the data.  But it soon vanished.  “Still nine different locations.  Too many for us to check out while remaining undetected.”  She said the last under her breath.  And I had to agree: we couldn’t be indiscriminate with our search.  I knew that Jennira would have in her employ a small army of Sith-Shadows.  Unfortunately, time was not a luxury that we had.  Interrupting my reverie, Jorya’s question brought me back to the present.  “Master, if the crystals give off a weak Force signature, couldn’t we just head within the vicinity and detect it?”

Trying not to sound pedantic, I looked at Jorya.  “I’m afraid not.  We’d have to practically be next to them in order to ‘feel’ them through the Force.  Also: if anyone was around, they would witness a distinct…change in the crystals’ behavior.”  And one more point, I reminded myself.  Almost certainly, Jennira would be able to use them against us, en masse.  By the Maker, how do we deal with a Dark Singer in the midst of an entire crystal lode?  But I kept that last to myself, at least for now.

Looking downcast, I saw Jorya frown.  She was disappointed with herself, I realized.

“You did well, Dear One.  You have to remember: these are the rarest of crystals.  Most Jedi have never even seen them and usually only hear about them in legend or even myth.  You were not wrong to ask, Jorya.”  Smiling at her, I saw that her confidence was buoyed by my words.  “See if you can’t add any other information I may have overlooked and feed it into the algorithm.  I need to talk to your mother.”  

Leaving her terminal, I joined my wife in the cockpit.  “Ereneda.  I think we’re going to have to find information concerning the crystal site that Jennira is using at the manufactory.  There are currently too many possibilities for us to deduce the correct one.  
I believe that we’ll have to do some night reconnoitering.”  Squeezing her shoulder gently, I looked directly into her dark eyes.  “Ereneda, you know that means we’ll have to have you on overwatch.”  The firm set of her deep blue lips was indicative of her understanding…and her disappointment.  

Hapes Prime was located in a dense star cluster; as a result, the planet was bathed in perpetual sunlight.  As such, Hapans were effectively night-blind when it came to the dark.  And while D’Aylanna had developed keen senses, to say nothing of her mastery in the Force, Jorya and I would consist of the recon team as we would need visual confirmation of intel.  But that didn’t mean that she had to like it.

Her full lips pouting, D’Aylanna’s face looked stoic.  “Very well, Shakal.  I will monitor from here.”  Her eyes suddenly had a mischievous glint to them.  “At least I don’t have to see you in your tactical utilities.  Sometimes my eyesight betrays me.”

I had to laugh.  By necessity, our tac-gear was…snug.  And 135 kilograms wasn’t the…easiest of weights for the tac-utilities to cover.  If anything, I looked like a…bantha’s shadow.
As I fixed my web belt, readjusting my lightsabers, Jorya entered.  “I can see you skipped supper, Father.  Good thing, too.  You might want to consider a larger sized shirt.”

Grinning, I fondly spoke under my breath, “Just like your mother.”  Jorya’s smile deepened; clearly she’d heard me.  Donning black headgear, the Togruta’s lekku and montrails were effectively hidden.  In fact, the only part that the two of us had exposed was our faces, one pale and one orange.

Feeling the shift from inertial dampeners to planetary gravity signaled that we were getting close to the surface.  Kuat’s gravity was as near Imperial Standard that the difference was negligible so both Jorya and I were in our element.  I heard the subtle hum of the engines change; D’Aylanna must have engaged our cloaking mode.  Taking that as our cue, Jorya and I moved to the portside drop gates.  Hooking up our belay lines, we got ready to fast-rope down.  I could see from Jorya’s eyes that her adrenaline was up.  Good, it would help.  The Maker knew that it was coursing through my system.

While we hadn’t known exactly what to expect, we’d planned for this contingency.  Familiarizing ourselves with the available schematics of the layout, we’d memorized the manufactory blueprints.  And with D’Aylanna on overwatch, I knew that Jorya and I were in good hands.

The hatches opened and two seconds later Jorya and I were rappelling down the lines.  As we both soundlessly hit the rooftop, our belay lines retracted into the ship.  D’Aylanna expertly piloted away to establish overwatch while Jorya and I gained entry through one of the service elevator shafts.  Using a smart nylasteel line, we were able to descend the shaft to the second subfloor where I knew the processing stations were.  Here, the Night Sister had the mechanical interface parts being manufactured for the Adegan Pontite.  With luck, we’d be able to locate intel concerning the location of the crystals themselves.

Using Force-assisted jumps, Jorya and I took to the metal rafters and stanchions, hoping to avoid any confrontations.  And with D’Aylanna’s voice in our ears providing directions, we were able to move about quickly, assuredly, and undetected.  One thing that we’d all agreed upon: zero presence.  Especially if Gaetana was looking for us; she’d always been exceptional at deductive reasoning and she would know what to look for.

Stopping abruptly, I held up a fist to Jorya.  Silently and smoothly, the Togruta halted, motionless but ready.  And with my Force senses, I could feel her excitement.  Yes, she’d been on missions before, but this was truly her forte.  She was lighter than shadow, quicker than thought.  And her lithe body was far more agile than mine; as such, it was all that I could do just to keep up with her.  Her dark red lips smiled a playful grin, reflected in her clear blue eyes.  Despite the seriousness of the situation, I returned her grin but motioned “look ahead.”  About a half a dozen meters in front of us, the metallic walkway ended in a three-story drop to the machinery below.  And about twenty-five meters away, I spied the rooms that we needed to gain access to.  Silently, I made the mental calculations to cross the span.  It would take us a bit of acrobatics as well as both of us to traverse the distance.

Putting my mouth right next to Jorya’s head, I quietly whispered my plan.  She looked me straight in my eyes, her blue into my hazel.  And I could see her eagerness; she was actually looking forward to this.  Smiling ruefully, I did a silent countdown from three.  I had to time this just right; the cacophony of the manufactory should conceal any sound but I wanted to make use of the timing of the loudest machinery.  

Again, using the Force to assist me and reinforce my muscles, I jumped, arching my trajectory to one of the stanchions.  My cybernetic right hand latched on solidly, supporting my weight with ease.  Looking back at Jorya, I held out my left hand.  Effortlessly, she jumped, clasping my wrist with her left hand.  And using her momentum, I swung her past me.  Still gripping my left wrist, her right hand gained purchase on the metal rafter.  Now came the tricky part: she would have to do the same for me.  Muscles, sinew, ligaments, and tendons fortified with the Force, Jorya nodded at me.  Looking below, the manufactory was a den of mechanical activity.  No one could see us from this vantage.  Still, I worried for my daughter.  But…I also trusted her implicitly.  Grinning, I nodded and let go with my right hand.

Like a pendulum, I arced through the air, faster as I swung.  And with determination and agility that I was envious and proud of, Jorya pivoted my body past her and up.  Again, my cybernetic hand caught hold.  And, as worried as I had been, I need not have worried; Jorya had performed beautifully.  It took us two more rotations of alternated swinging but we made it to the other side.  Looking at the Togruta, I could tell that she was exhilarated by the event.  Even better: she was uninjured by hoisting my weight.  Of course, she hadn’t made one sound.

Which was fortuitous: looking below us, I saw that the room we needed to access had a posting of guards outside.  So: our first experience with Jennira’s Sith-Shadows.  There were three of them: a Rodian, a Gotal, and a Duros.  They were talking among themselves, indifferent and unconcerned.  Clearly, they never expected that anyone would attempt to infiltrate the facility.  Well, good for us; bad for them.

Again, putting my mouth next to Jorya’s head, I told her which targets were mine: the Gotal and the Duros.  She would take the Rodian.  We both anchored our nylasteel line to the stanchion above, and running the rope through our legs, we inverted and locked our boots together, using them as our belaying device.  Then, slowly, we began to descend atop the three Sith-Shadows.  Three meters.  Each centimeter we slid down, I kept constant vigil on our three targets.  Two meters.  I briefly flashed my eyes towards Jorya as she rappelled down her line; her body was like a coil, ready for action.  One meter.  I focused back on my own targets; both the Duros and the Gotal were relating some vulgar tale to one another while the Rodian put a pinch of tabac between his lips.  Half a meter.

And then the Gotal looked up.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:13:39 PM »

"And then the Gotal looked up."

Awesome!  That was both predictable and unexpected!  :-)  But seriously, a well-written scene that brings us right into the action.  And it ends perfectly.

Queue commercial.  Jump up and grab a refill...  :-)

I love the interplay between the characters.  I know this is a "blended" family, but the levels of communication are right there.  And Teagan's comfort with Joryu is also great.  This is a battle-tested superior and a well-trained subordinate going into battle together.  No friction, no conflict.  Just a well-oiled machine doing it's thing.  :-)

And I cannot wait to find out what's in the room.  :-)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »

Not fair. I wanted to quote that Karm. Angry Tongue

Exactly what I was thinking. Very well written, and you definitely brought in some of my favorite stuff (agility and silence). I can perfectly envision every singly part of that story. Except the Gotal. I don't know what they look like. Still, great job, cant wait for more.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 02:14:50 AM »

Not fair. I wanted to quote that Karm. Angry Tongue

Exactly what I was thinking. Very well written, and you definitely brought in some of my favorite stuff (agility and silence). I can perfectly envision every singly part of that story. Except the Gotal. I don't know what they look like. Still, great job, cant wait for more.
"And then the Gotal looked up."

Awesome!  That was both predictable and unexpected!  :-)  But seriously, a well-written scene that brings us right into the action.  And it ends perfectly.

Queue commercial.  Jump up and grab a refill...  :-)

I love the interplay between the characters.  I know this is a "blended" family, but the levels of communication are right there.  And Teagan's comfort with Joryu is also great.  This is a battle-tested superior and a well-trained subordinate going into battle together.  No friction, no conflict.  Just a well-oiled machine doing it's thing.  :-)

And I cannot wait to find out what's in the room.  :-)
Thank you, gentlemen  Cheesy

Yeah TR, Gray Jedi maenowans are given an opportunity to join one of five different sects: Force Guardians, Flame Warriors, Water Warriors, Ice Sages, and Wind Sages.  Zearic chose Water Warriors for agility, speed, and an absolutely unforgiving nature (think of Bruce Lee's "Be like water" speech).  A large part of that arises from Gaetana handing him that devastating beat down; raw power just didn't work (obviously  Wink).  Plus, I like seeing a BIG guy (think endo-mesomorphic body: a lot of muscle but some fat over it) moving deceptively fast and precise  Wink. There's a reason he weighs close to 300lbs.   Grin
And TR: the Gotal has some good pics on its Wookiepedia page; I didn't know what they looked like, either  Cheesy

And glad that the synergy between Zearic and Jorya was evident; as Karm said, it maybe a blended family but they are FAMILY first and foremost!

Sorry for the non-narrative exposition  Tongue

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 02:31:10 AM »

Just Wookiepediad Gotals. I did know what they looked like. Just not what they were called. Cheesy I always just called them the "goat things" or something along those lines. I guess their name fits pretty well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: