Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Shadow Etude  (Read 22582 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:51 AM »

Tense very tense.
Really good chapter, Tarnished knight had some great little details and tense action, I can see in Chapter 2 here you have really emphasized those strengths in your writing with the details on the shipyards, the geology, their equipment even, and then switched to a more action oriented sequence.  Not to disparage Tarnished Knight at all, but this feels like a real step up, I think you've hit on what your strengths were in that first outing and built upon them.  Great Job!

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »

Tense very tense.
Really good chapter, Tarnished knight had some great little details and tense action, I can see in Chapter 2 here you have really emphasized those strengths in your writing with the details on the shipyards, the geology, their equipment even, and then switched to a more action oriented sequence.  Not to disparage Tarnished Knight at all, but this feels like a real step up, I think you've hit on what your strengths were in that first outing and built upon them.  Great Job!
Thanks LSG!  The action-centric storytelling is deliberate; trying to show a fundamental shift in Zearic's mindset: before, powerful, but slow(er) action versus his adherence to the "Water Way:" agility, speed, precision.  Like I mentioned to TR: Bruce Lee's speech "Be like water..." was my inspiration.
And thank you for the feedback (indeed, from all of you): I feel that as I continue to write, all the comments help me to improve  Smiley

I just hope that everyone enjoys reading as much as I do writing!  Next chapter coming soon  Wink

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »

Ha!  I can see who's going to be pushing the pace in THIS collaboration!  ;-)  Keep going!  I am GREATLY enjoying your writing!  As others said, you're finding your zone now.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »

Ha!  I can see who's going to be pushing the pace in THIS collaboration!  ;-)  Keep going!  I am GREATLY enjoying your writing!  As others said, you're finding your zone now.  :-)
Thanks Karm!  I hope to maintain the pacing and excitement  Wink

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 02:26:49 AM »

Chapter 3: The Zabrak’s (Dis)chord

The Gotal’s eyes widened.  Damn.  I had a split-second; releasing the nylasteel line, I dropped to the floor, turning midair to land in a crouch.  As soon as I had grounded on the floor, I swept the legs out of the Gotal, knocking him on his back.  I immediately followed up with a punch to the sacral nerve plexus on the Duros with my left and a quick hammer strike to the Gotal’s throat with my right.  I quickly wrapped my arms around the Duros’ neck as he struggled to regain his senses after my initial punch.  Slowly, I felt him grow limp, unconscious. 

Turning my head, I saw that Jorya had the Rodian’s neck between her legs.  Pivoting downward, using her entire body’s momentum, she flung the Rodian to the floor.  Without having released her leg-lock, she continued to squeeze until the Rodian joined his confederates in the oblivion of sleep.  I swept out mentally with the Force, searching for any signs that we’d been detected.  Nothing.  Good.

Ereneda, I need to stow some bodies where they won’t be found, at least for awhile.  They’re alive.” I added as an afterthought.  “We’re in Sector 68, Subfloor 2.”

Listening to D’Aylanna, I saw Jorya quickly collect the three Sith-Shadows.  She took their weapons and dropped them into one of the many incinerator units lining the hallway.  Lightsaber hilt in hand, she stood as lookout, ready in an instant to ignite it.  Once D’Aylanna had found a suitable room that we could stow our unconscious prisoners, Jorya and I were quick to act.  I picked up the Duros while I grabbed the Gotal with my right hand.  Jorya dragged the Rodian into an adjoining room about ten meters from where we’d dropped down.  I say “room” but it was more a closet; regardless, it would suit our purposes.  After unceremoniously depositing the Sith-Shadows in the room, I balled up my cybernetic right hand in a tight fist and punched the control board, effectively locking them in.

Again, I fully opened my mind to the Force, gently probing outward like Jaim had taught me.  I could sense about half a dozen life forms but just on the periphery range of my abilities.  Refocusing, I tightened in on my probing, directly into the control room.  Nothing seemed amiss.  Sighing, I gesticulated to Jorya “this way” to the room and “ready.”  She nodded while I took my lightsaber in hand.  Signaling a countdown from “three,” I used the datacard we’d prepared to open the door.

Even before the doors had fully opened, I burst into the room, Jorya covering behind me.  Quickly scanning the room, it looked over the manufactory below.  Yes, this was the correct room.  “Jorya, please get up on the mainframe.  We need to locate anything we can concerning the origin point of the crystals.”  With a determined set of her lips, she nodded and sat at the main terminal.  Meanwhile, I kept my eyes—and Force senses—on the ready.

On Sekot, I’d made it a point to train up on slicing.  And while I was good, Jorya had proven herself to be an expert, almost as good as G’av had been.  So it was a surprise when Jorya spoke in a frustrated, quiet voice, “Master, there is nothing concerning the Pontite within the database.  I’ve run every search parameter, even tangential factors.  Nothing.”  Her dark red lips were as tight as her eyes; I knew that if she couldn’t find anything in the computer then there would be nothing to find.

“You did well, Jorya.” I told her, meaning it.  “Well…we’ll have to do some social intelligence gathering then.”  I focused my senses, gently flowing outward.  As I’d said, Jaim was a master at mental Force abilities and, despite many hours of study with him, I was only middling at best.  Wishing that D’Aylanna was here—and not for the first time—as I knew that her abilities far surpassed mine, I continued to probe outward.  There, almost a…an itch I could feel.  A mind different from the others.  Confident.  Self-assured.  Arrogant.  Someone used to command.  And, if I wasn’t mistaken, someone that would know where the Night Sister witch was mining her Pontite.  I hoped.  “This way.”

D’Aylanna’s voice sounded in my ear as we exited the Control Room, penetrating further into the complex.  According to my wife, we needed to go down two connecting hallways, which would open into a larger assembly area.  It was in this area that I felt the…presence.  By now, there were two others that had joined.  Pausing a moment, I turned to Jorya.  “Can you take two Sith-Shadows yourself?  I may not be able to split my attention between two targets; the presence that I sensed is strong, very strong.”

Jorya grinned.  “Of course.”  She took her shoto off her belt; I’d been training her as in Jar’Kai as well as the standard two-handed forms.  Her face turned serious as she readied herself.  Nodding to me, I gave her a silent countdown from “three.”

As soon as the door opened, we rushed into the room, Jorya igniting both sabers as she closed the distance between her and two of the Sith-Shadows.  Simultaneously, I flooded the room with Force suppression.  Also known by Masters as “Force breach,” it diminished an enemy’s Force resistance; it also caused an overwhelming feeling of oppression, making one feel dispirited.  My teacher, Nexu Master Pranay, had taught me that cunning and speed were germane to a Water Warrior.  I’d learned his lessons well; Jorya and I were on the three Sith-Shadows before they’d even reacted, our lightsabers literally at their throats.

The two Sith-Shadows that Jorya held captive were dressed similarly as the three we’d knocked unconscious: blood-red splint armor, blasters, and various bladed weapons about their persons.  But my prisoner…he was something else altoghter.  Dressed in ancient Mandalorian armor, he was a young, tall, imposing Zabrak, his right arm had been completely replaced cybernetically.  And, according to Mak’Tor intelligence, this was the leader of the Sith-Shadows, Mellichae.  His blue eyes were piercing and unafraid; his demeanor contemptible.  I’d been correct; this man would know where Jennira’s crystals were being mined.

All of this went through my mind instantly.  Knowing the Jorya could handle the other two, my complete attention focused on the Zabrak.  Even with my blue blade at his throat, he looked unconcerned.  I would disabuse him of that notion.  As I began to speak, I focused my mind, intent on a concealed probe that would access the information that I needed from Mellichae’s mind.  “Tell me where the Night Sister is.”  The words weren’t truly important, only that I distract attention from my true intentions.  “Tell me what Jennira Hri is planning.”  Cluttered images began to coalesce, slowly at first, and muddled.  “Tell me why she hired the Sith-Shadows.”  A cave…no, a network of tunnels fixed in place, glowing from within.  A…a resonance that I could almost hear was…sounding from the cave…no, a network of tunnels.  “Tell me what you are doing here.”  A tall, pale woman sat in the middle of an antechamber, singing softly…

Singing.  Softly.  Something was wrong, I realized.  I wasn’t just hearing it in my head; my ears were hearing…soft singing.  Here.  Now.  My mind…sluggish suddenly.  From the corner of my eye, I could see Jorya’s lightsabers slowly dropping.  I should say…something.  A warning?  But…what for?  Detached, I saw my own blue blade drop.  Why…what was I doing…here?

SHAKAL!”

D’Aylanna’s voice cut through the haze, a spray of cold water on my face, instantly reinvigorating me.  And none too soon; Mellichae had ignited his own saber, red blade stopping centimeters from my face as my lightsaber blocked it.  By the Maker…!  Mellichae—this Zabrak—was a Dark Singer!  Before I could contemplate that, I remembered my daughter; sparing a look from the corner of my eye, I yelled at her, “JORYA!”  It was enough; shaking her head, she brought her blades up in a deflect/defense form as the two Sith-Shadows brought their blasters to bear upon her.  One of them reached to her belt and pulled an electro-tonfa, energizing it.  But it was all the attention that I could spare; the Zabrak’s lightsaber required ALL of my concentration.

In his prime, Mellichae was fast and powerful.  Worse, he continued to sing, threatening to lull me insensate.  At first, it was all that I could do to keep my blade between his lightsaber and I.  A particularly hard overhead blow almost stunned me; even pushing his red blade away, he scored a minor hit on my shoulder.  But it did enough; using the pain that ensued, he threw his open palm outward, producing a brutal Force Push.  Still dazed, I was unable to block it entirely.  Close to loosing my footing, I retreated with a backflip.  I HAD to focus my faculties.  THINK.  Remember what Master Pranay and D’Aylanna had taught me.  Thinking of them, I found my center; the knife’s edge between tranquility and rage.  A rushing rive…no.  A crashing tsunami.

Realigning my posture, I fell into the form that I’d been working on with D’Aylanna and Master Pranay for years now: Vaapad.  I was a Water Warrior. Master Pranay’s voice was in my head: “Empty your mind.  Be formless, shapeless.  Water can flow…or it can crash.  Be water.”  Mellichae’s blade stopped, his eyes opening wide as his flow was interrupted, as my blue lightsaber crashed into his.  His lips fell silent, his Song disrupted.  I was a Water Warrior.  I was water.

We crossed blades in a violent dance of lightsabers, Mellichae losing ground now.  Speed born of Force-enhanced limbs threatened his defense, precision finding almost imperceptible openings as I continued my assault.  The Zabrak tried to regain composure, the Song attempting to find its pitch but my ferocious attack was such that he could not find expression.  Thinking of Karm--Sage of Song--I realized that Mellichae must be a neophyte Singer.  Again, the teachings of Master Pranay echoed in my mind: “Be swift, be agile, but—above all—be absolutely unforgiving.

I had a split second warning; parrying the Zabrak’s red blade, I rolled forward below his cut, while attempting to avoid the blaster bolt that had been fired at me.  I felt the searing pain on my tricep as the bolt burned the air above where I’d been standing not a second before.  Using the Force to suppress the pain, my offensive slowed.  Worried for Jorya, I split my attention sideways.  I could see that she had dealt with the Sith-Shadow that had shot at me, a hole burned through his armor where her blade had pierced his heart.  Unfortunately, the other Sith-Shadow now had two electro-tonfa, one in each hand, and was pressing advantage.  Concern superseded caution and I briefly focused a Force Push on the Sith-Shadow.  It was not particularly powerful, nor accurate but it was enough to allow Jorya to recover.  However, it was costly to me: my blue blade turned my opponent’s red blade away from me, but it also brought him into close-quarters proximity to me.  Making use of the opening, Mellichae’s powerful right cybernetic arm shot forward, his hand grabbing around my throat, his fingers a crushing grip that attempted to cut off my oxygen.  I knew that I had only seconds.  Dropping my lightsaber, I clamped my own cybernetic right hand onto his, barely stopping the vice-like grip threatening to choke the life from me.  It was a stop-gap and Mellichae knew it; staring into my face, the Zabrak smiled savagely, eyes as cold as the piercing blue of his irises.  “Die, jedi” the sound of his voice sounded like bones being ground under foot.  His lightsaber raised, intent on cleaving my head.

The confused look on his face filled me with satisfaction: before his arm could fall, I’d called my shoto to my left hand, activating the lightsaber as soon as I gained purchase on the hilt.  The silver blade impaled his left shoulder, his hand lifeless.  As his lightsaber dropped from his useless fingers, I arced my shoto bisecting his cybernetic right arm mid-bicep causing it to fall away from my throat.  Almost immediately afterwards, I called upon a Force Push that slammed into Mellichae, throwing him bodily against the far bulkhead.  Hitting with a sickening crash, the Zabrak fell to the floor, unmoving.  Gulping air in my wounded neck, each time I inhaled I felt a burning pain.  For a moment, I stared at Mellichae, ensuring that he was indeed unconscious.

Jorya! I thought, worried that I’d been too focused on the Zabrak.  Turning my head, I saw her engage her opponent in a series of deceptively quick strikes.  Even now, I couldn’t help but feel pride; she had become more than just competent at Jar’Kai: she was truly adept.  And even as I collected myself, she pressed hard offensively; her blue and violet sabers a polychromatic cloud of activity.  Hammering the Sith-Shadow’s tonfa aside, she kicked out connecting solidly in her opponent’s solar plexus.  As the Sith-Shadow attempted to suck in breath, Jorya followed with a roundhouse kick that knocked the Sith-Shadow to the floor, comatose. 

“Nicely done, Dear One,” my voice croaked.  Hearing the pain in my voice, the Togruta closed down her lightsabers and ran towards me.  Gently, she placed both of her hands on my raw, red neck.

“Father!”  I could feel her healing flow from the Force attempting to mitigate the injury.  Slowly, I felt the tightness in my throat begin to relax, the blistering pain in my shoulder and tricep lessen.  Breathing easier, I shook my head in thanks to my daughter.

“Thank you, Dear One.”  My voice sounded closer to its natural baritone, gratitude evident in my tone.  Looking into the Togruta’s eyes, I assured her, “I’m better, Jorya.  Really.”  As I stared straight ahead, she followed my gaze to the unconscious Zabrak.

“Master, now what?” Her concern was evident as she spoke.

Pulling myself up to my full height, I started walking towards Mellichae.  “Now?”

Jorya turned her head, from me to the Zabrak and back to me.

“Now,” I told her, “We get some answers.”

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »

Woo!  What a way to start a Monday morning!  :-)

Nicely written.  I loved the resolution to the previous cliff-hanger.  :-)  It also shows the maturity of your characters.  I can easily see a younger Zearic dropping in and slicing-and-dicing at that point.  But the older, wiser Zearic has learned to preserve live.  Even bad guys.  :-)

The character interaction was also very good, but my favorite was the vision and the nacent singer using that skill on Zearic.  Even as he recognized it he was falling to it's power.  The vision of the woman, though...  That was VERY interesting.  ;-)  I think I might know where that is...  LOL

THe following fight was also nicely crafted.  Enough action to keep the reader involved and I really liked how your view follows the attention of the character.  The read knows what he knows.  What he doesn't know the reader doesn't know.  It helps to build the tension and draw you into the scene.  This one is well crafted and effective. 

Thank you!  Now, my turn!  LOL

Karm

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »

Nicely written.  I loved the resolution to the previous cliff-hanger.  :-)  It also shows the maturity of your characters.  I can easily see a younger Zearic dropping in and slicing-and-dicing at that point.  But the older, wiser Zearic has learned to preserve live.  Even bad guys.  :-)

The character interaction was also very good, but my favorite was the vision and the nacent singer using that skill on Zearic.  Even as he recognized it he was falling to it's power.  The vision of the woman, though...  That was VERY interesting.  ;-)  I think I might know where that is...  LOL

THe following fight was also nicely crafted.  Enough action to keep the reader involved and I really liked how your view follows the attention of the character.  The read knows what he knows.  What he doesn't know the reader doesn't know.  It helps to build the tension and draw you into the scene.  This one is well crafted and effective. 

Karm
Perfect!  I was hoping to show that trajectory in Zearic's character.  Also want to expand upon the tenets of the Water Warrior sect and the benefits that they grant...to those who learn  Wink

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »

Karm

Karm has hit all the points I had in mind already, also liked the references to G'av and Jaim, keeping that connection to your previous story. Keep it up!

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

Chapter 4: Lessons, Past and Future

After a short time, Jorya and I had the Sith-Shadow and Mellichae tied back-to-back using some of the nylasteel rope we’d brought.  Short of a vibroknife or lightsaber, the two prisoners would remain bound.  They were still both unconscious and I knew that Mellichae would need some bacta treatments in order to recover.  He should be effectively out of the fight.

“Jorya, I need for you to keep vigilant for anyone who comes within range of your senses.  I will have to wake Mellichae to get answers.”  It was not a prospect I was necessarily looking forward to.

She nodded but then asked, “Why do you need him awake, Master?” She had both of her lightsabers in hand, ready to ignite.

“In order for me to get specific answers, I need to have the Zabrak awake.  Otherwise, I would have to search the proverbial ocean of his mind, rudderless.”  What I didn’t tell her was that while it was technically possible, I had neither the time nor the aptitude to successfully entertain such an endeavor.  As it was, I still had to ask advice from D’Aylanna before I began.

“Don’t forget: tether yourself to an anchor,” she added, “You must not allow the Zabrak to distract you from your objective.”  Gratefully, I thanked her and prepared myself.  Breathe.  Balance.  Be like water.

“OK Jorya.  Keep watch for us while I get the answers we need.  Interrupt me immediately if you sense trouble.”  She nodded, concern written across her face.  She gave me a tentative smile, which I returned with what I hoped was a confident one.  Then, I focused entirely on the task at hand and the Zabrak at my feet.

Crouching, I inhaled momentarily before beginning.  Slapping Mellichae across the face hard, I saw his eyes open, roll briefly back into his head, and then try to regain focus.  Simultaneously, I used Force Suppression to lower his resistance to my Force probe.  After about a minute or so, I could tell that he was lucid enough to answer my questions.  More importantly, his mind would be susceptible to enquiry.  As I delved into his mind, I spoke softly, almost hypnotically.  “Tell me where Jennira Hri is.  Tell me where the Adegan Pontite is being mined.  Tell me what Namman Cha intends to use the kyber crystals for.”  

A scene different from what I’d witnessed before began to coalesce, this time without any sound: a collection of crevices that glowed an unnerving green hue vibrated regularly.  The canyons cut so deep that the sky was not visible.  As I probed further, I saw a pale, tall woman again.  This time, she was standing among several pulsating crystal-lattice lodes that lined the canyon walls.  She wore blood-red hooded robes and her pale face had several charcoal-black markings across her eyes and mouth.  Her silver irises were surrounded by black, which pulsed in time with the surrounding crystals.  “Tell me where Jennira Hri is.  Tell me where the Adegan Pontite is being mined.  Tell me what Namman Cha intends to use the kyber crystals for.” I repeated.  The tableau melted away amidst a murky sea of memory.

Focus.  Find center.  Anchor.  Concentrate.  I saw sand.  But not just any sand, black sand, peppered with rutilated quartz. Good, that will narrow down the possible sites.  Rutile would only form in high temperature climes, near sea level.  Still, I continued.  I MUST know exactly where.  Again, the black sand, peppered with rutilated quartz.  Then I saw evidence of gneissic banding in the surrounding rock strata.  In geology, this was known as a “crystalline ‘basement.’”  Of course, I told myself.  And on Kuat, there was only one such geographic area that had such a combination of geology and climate.

Kuat had been terraformed millennia ago by the first human colonization.  By and large, the planet had been transformed into a lush and verdant paradise.  However, around the equator some subsea-level badlands had formed as a result of tectonics and weather.  And in only one area did gneissic banding occur in ravines.

Canticum Lowlands.

Suddenly, the memory shifted, cloudy and frenetic.  Abruptly, there was a vision of a man.  He had a pale, cruel face marked with red tattoos that ran vertically from his neck to his hair, the yellow eyes of a Sith looked out from underneath his merciless brow.  As suddenly as the image formed, it…shattered.  I felt as if I’d stepped onto an ice flow that became an avalanche that crashed as a tsunami into a whirlpool.  This is not natural, came the thought, unbidden.  I focused my eyes, seeing that Mellichae was again Singing.  D’Aylanna had warned me.  Quickly, remembering what she told me, I found my anchor and held on with a deathgrip.

Outwardly, anyone who saw would just think that I was crouching in front of the Zabrak as we stared unblinkingly into each other’s eyes, his ice blue into my hazel.  But to any Force-sensitive, there was a raging tempest roaring between us taking place on a metaphysical level.  Mellichae’s lips curled into a small smile.  As the Zabrak’s Song tore into me, I felt as if ice cold enough to burn was bathing my skin in lava.  A deafening cacophony of unending silence threatened to devour everything while a blinding nothingness attempted to subsume my very being.  

And still: I held on.

The Zabrak’s forehead was covered in sweat, his eyes narrowed in both concentration and agony.  As much as he tried to consume me, his Song was also reverberating against him.  And the more that I fought, the harder it was hitting him.  He was no longer smiling.

Finally, Mellichae’s head sunk to his chest, his breathing ragged, swift, and unsteady.  Saliva mixed with blood began to stream from his mouth.  His eyes rolled back into his head, exposing only the white sclera.  My own breathing came in great gulps of air and my heart hammered in my chest.  It was only then that I felt Jorya’s hands upon me, attempting to hold my head.  Slowly, my hearing regained normality.  I could tell that my daughter had been calling my name.

Master!  Father!  DAD!  ZEARIC!  PLEASE!”  The concern in her voice was laced with terror, her eyes watery and wide.  Slowly, my eyes focused, seeing her apprehension.

She was on her knees; I didn’t realize that I’d fallen to the floor.  “Thank you, Dear One.  You did it.”  In a fury of motion, my daughter hugged me in a fierce embrace.  From my ear, I could hear D’Aylanna congratulate me…and castigate me.

Shakal, you did well.  But you should have never left yourself exposed, especially to a Dark Singer.  You must not EVER imperil yourself like that!”  I could almost see her dark eyes flash in anger and frustration.

“I love you, too, Ereneda.” I said with a hint of humor.

I could almost see my wife pause and smile with her dark blue lips.  “And I, you, Shakal.  Now, get yourself and Jorya back to Fenris’ Dirge as swiftly and safely as possible.  I will direct on overwatch.”  I heard her sigh subtly.  “Be warned: the guards seem to have doubled in the last hour.”

“Will do.  And thank you, Ereneda.”  I looked into my daughter’s eyes.  “And thank you, Dear One.”  Her eyes shone with unwept tears, her smile both loving and anxious.  “But your mother’s right: we need to get out of here.”

Releasing her embrace, Jorya stood, looking at Mellichae.  “Father, what about him?”  Even injured as he was and weakened besides, the Zabrak glared hatred at me.

In answer, I balled up my fist, my punch quickly snapping his head to the side, knocking the Zabrak unconscious.  “Now, let’s go.”  Standing with the help of my daughter’s extended hand, I collected myself briefly while I went through a mental Force tactic, bolstering my tired body and mind.  It worked.  Mostly.

Calling my lightsaber to my hand, I attached it to my belt opposite my shoto.  Jorya took point this time, for which I was thankful.  I could feel her presence in the Force as she delved outward searching for life signs.  Once again using our Order’s hand signals, she gave the “all clear” and quickly trotted up the hallways we’d taken from the control room.

Once at the entrance, Jorya held up her small fist.  Not speaking a word, she “told” me that there were “four enemies—two near, two far—past the door.”  Nodding my understanding, she put her lips right next to my left ear.  “Father, I have ‘far.’  And I will project a Neural Storm at them before we enter.”

A determined set to my mouth, I slowly nodded.  A Neural Storm used the Force to overload the target’s brain, causing extreme but momentary disorientation.  It was most effective against non-Force-sensitives.  And it made sense; she was uninjured and more alert, although her mental abilities were…not lacking, just somewhat untested.  Well, no time like the present.  “Jorya, remember: precision and acuity are crucial.  You are not so much as bludgeoning an obstacle but rather threading a needle.”  I also included a bit of my Nexu Teachings even though she was not a Water Warrior nor could be considered for such until she’d achieved maenowan status.  But I knew that her Force potential was greater than mine and she was more mature than I had been at her age.  “Remember, be formless until that moment when you’ve accumulated every fiber of your being…and strike.”

Resolute, she gave a small nod.  Outwardly, nothing about her stature changed.  Like D’Aylanna had instructed me, I had taught Jorya to never telegraph her powers, neither in intent nor execution.  But any Force-sensitive would have felt Jorya’s aura focus.   She looked at me and keyed the entrance open.  By the Maker she was fast.  Even as I followed through the opening doors, she was already on top of her two objectives.  They were swaying bodily from side-to-side.  Clearly, her Neural Storm had worked.

Concentrating on the task at hand, I approached the first of two Sith-Shadows near me.  Like Jorya’s targets, they acted as if intoxicated.  The first fell to a quick, well placed strike with my right.  However, the second was already beginning to recover.  No time for anything fancy, I brought the heel of my boot down hard upon the Sith-Shadows kneecap.  Falling forward, his head connected with the left hook that I’d thrown.  Seeing his head snap around, I knew that it was a knockout shot.  A coughing fit reminded me that I still wasn’t in peak condition at the moment.  I felt a gentle touch on my back and arm as Jorya helped steady me.

“Dad?  Are you sure you’re OK?” Her face looked so apprehensive, it almost hurt me to see.  Slowly, she rubbed my arm while I felt her healing flow through my body.

“I am, thanks to you.”  Looking past her, I saw that all four Sith-Shadows were lying prostrate upon the ground.  “But unless you want to make some new acquaintances, I suggest that we leave and quickly.”  Seeing her wry grin helped to assuage the guilt I was beginning to feel.

We retraced our steps, D’Aylanna a welcome disembodied voice directing us as needed.  Thankfully, we were able to traverse the span using the same acrobatic strategy that we’d used before.  Like before, we used the rafter walkways to avoid detection.  I only slipped once; luckily Jorya didn’t notice.  Once we arrived back at the elevator shaft, we used the nylasteel smartrope to ascend the shaft back to the rooftops.  Our relief was palpable when we saw Fenris’ Dirge silently hovering a meter above the building.  Running the final meters, D’Aylanna had perfectly timed the rear hatch opening that the aperture was wide enough for us both to jump in.  We barely had enough time to strap in when we felt the inertia of acceleration upon our bodies.

Finally relaxing, my breathing began to slow to normal.  D’Aylanna expertly piloted us towards Kuat City; we had a docking berth secured where we would resupply and heal up for the day before having to confront the Night Sister.  We were silent en route and I used the time for meditation.  And reflection.

As soon as I felt the inertia of the landing thrusters, I became immediately attentive.  Walking slowly from the cockpit, D’Aylanna’s small frame was outlined from the lights filtering in from the transparisteel canopy.  Helping me up from my seat, my wife put her arm around my waist as we three walked into the conference room, sitting around the crowded table while Jorya prepared food and drinks for us.  And as we all ate our meal, I related my experiences and visions to the two women.

“So.  Jennira is at the Canticum Lowlands.  Which means that we can’t just approach to land there.  We’ll have to disembark from a hidden site some distance hence.  And in those canyons, the Sith-Shadows will have the advantage; too many defilades to account for.  To say nothing of the crystal-lattice that the witch can use against us.”

Closing my eyes, I rested my head atop D’Aylanna’s midnight-blue hair.  “I may have a few ideas about that.”  I said almost distractedly.  “We must be able to counter Jennira’s Song.  Mellichae surprised me tonight; that will not happen again.  But it doesn’t change the fact that the witch will be a much stronger Singer.  And—as you say, Ereneda—she has access to an arsenal of Pontite cryst…Hmm.”  I had a thought but before I could voice it, Jorya spoke up.

“Father…how did you defeat the Zabrak’s Song?  The last time…I thought…well, that…that I’d lost you.” Her timid smile was indicative of her concern, her eyes large and wet.

I felt D’Aylanna bury her head closer into my chest, a low chuckle escaping her blue lips.  Yes, she would know.

Looking at Jorya, my face earnest I told her, “No, Dear One.  Mellichae’s Song was potent…but I had my anchor.  And I knew that he could not prevail against it.”

The Togruta hung onto every word.  When I didn’t continue, she asked, her voice equal parts exasperation and curiosity, “…And your anchor was?”

Smiling warmly, I asked, “Can you not guess?”  A look of consternation on her face, Jorya shook her head.  My voice was full of the warmth that I felt.  “You, Dear One.  Your Mother.  The most important part of my life: you two, my family.”

Settling back on her seat, a look of introspection crossed her face.  Then, in a flurry of movement, she joined D’Aylanna and I in a three-way embrace, Jorya laughing.  I tightly held them to me, grateful for them.  At least for tonight, we were together, safe and sound.

Tomorrow, we would go against Jennira.  But we were better prepared.  We knew that we could not possibly win in a frontal assault.  But, like I’d told my family, I had some ideas.

Tomorrow, Jennira would learn what a Water Warrior could do.  And her Song would be inundated.  I just hope that she didn’t drown as a result…

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »

--- Smiling warmly, I asked, “Can you not guess?”  A look of consternation on her face, Jorya shook her head.  My voice was full of the warmth that I felt.  “You, Dear One.  Your Mother.  The most important part of my life: you two, my family.-----

HK-47: A technique that Revan used frequently was to attack a Jedi indirectly.  This method only works if the Jedi is adhering to the self destructive path of pacifism and sacrifice

Meetra Surik: What do you mean

HK-47: Kill their allies, or place them in jeopardy.  Many Jedi will leave themselves exposed in order to protect another.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:55 PM »

--- Smiling warmly, I asked, “Can you not guess?”  A look of consternation on her face, Jorya shook her head.  My voice was full of the warmth that I felt.  “You, Dear One.  Your Mother.  The most important part of my life: you two, my family.-----

HK-47: A technique that Revan used frequently was to attack a Jedi indirectly.  This method only works if the Jedi is adhering to the self destructive path of pacifism and sacrifice

HK-47: Kill their allies, or place them in jeopardy.  Many Jedi will leave themselves exposed in order to protect another.

Strength and weakness...  I'm not sure such a tactic would be as effective against a Gray, but its definitely a well-worn plot device to have the evil character threaten the innocent to draw out the good character into a compromised position. 

Having family with our characters is something Dutchman and I have both pulled into our stories.  It seems natural for a Gray in some ways, sort of a way of defying the legalism of the Jedi.  But there are definitely openings for tragedy.  Especially if the "good guy" in question is unwilling to use deadly force, or hesitant to apply force.  :-)

Dutchman, I like this chapter.  It certainly pulls a lot of character elements into play and gives us a look at the underlying attitudes and drives of Zearic and his family.  I also like the ongoing development of the 'singer' aspect.  We may have invented our own sub-set of force users...  :-)

More later, I have to run.  but I like it! 

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 01:36:21 AM »

Strength and weakness...  I'm not sure such a tactic would be as effective against a Gray, but its definitely a well-worn plot device to have the evil character threaten the innocent to draw out the good character into a compromised position. 

Having family with our characters is something Dutchman and I have both pulled into our stories.  It seems natural for a Gray in some ways, sort of a way of defying the legalism of the Jedi.  But there are definitely openings for tragedy.  Especially if the "good guy" in question is unwilling to use deadly force, or hesitant to apply force.  :-)

Dutchman, I like this chapter.  It certainly pulls a lot of character elements into play and gives us a look at the underlying attitudes and drives of Zearic and his family.  I also like the ongoing development of the 'singer' aspect.  We may have invented our own sub-set of force users...  :-)

More later, I have to run.  but I like it! 
I don't want to give anything away...let's just say that you're both right  Wink

But--and this has nothing to do with the narrative--I believe that my family makes me stronger  Smiley

Yeah Karm, I'm liking these "Singers," not just as a device but also as an intrinsic aspect of the Force  Cheesy

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 04:14:45 AM »

Great chapter. LSG and Karm have both stated things that I have thought while reading this chapter, but still, very well done. I really loved that even though he said he was okay, Zearic most definitely was not. And then hiding his slip from Jorya (and being glad she didn't see), that was great. Both for comedic purpose as well as further show how weak he really became. The fact that Zearic is beginning to be able to hear the "song" is cool. It shows that even people who are not of the Mak'Tor order have the chance to become singers. Or at least see the Force in a broader way than normal.

Yeah Karm, I'm liking these "Singers," not just as a device but also as an intrinsic aspect of the Force  Cheesy

This is so true. The Singers are very unique, and very believable(?). As I have kind of hinted at in my own story, (miner spoiler if you have not read my story) Jord is also a "singer". I do not focus as intently on it as Karm does, but it is definitely there (Thanks for allowing me to use it Karm). And as we will see as the story progresses, Jord has an important role to play in Rowahn's story arc.

Anyways, back to your story. It is truly a joy to see it coming together like this. The combination of Wind Chimes, and Shadow Etude is awesome. Two completely different stories, but at the same time, they are one single story. Just like all of SW has been since it started. Also, I really hope to do some nice crossovers with you guys in the future. May not be soon, but I hope (and feel) that they are coming. Grin Great job. I can't wait for more.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 05:27:53 AM »

Great chapter. LSG and Karm have both stated things that I have thought while reading this chapter, but still, very well done. I really loved that even though he said he was okay, Zearic most definitely was not. And then hiding his slip from Jorya (and being glad she didn't see), that was great. Both for comedic purpose as well as further show how weak he really became. The fact that Zearic is beginning to be able to hear the "song" is cool. It shows that even people who are not of the Mak'Tor order have the chance to become singers. Or at least see the Force in a broader way than normal.

This is so true. The Singers are very unique, and very believable(?). As I have kind of hinted at in my own story, (miner spoiler if you have not read my story) Jord is also a "singer". I do not focus as intently on it as Karm does, but it is definitely there (Thanks for allowing me to use it Karm). And as we will see as the story progresses, Jord has an important role to play in Rowahn's story arc.

Anyways, back to your story. It is truly a joy to see it coming together like this. The combination of Wind Chimes, and Shadow Etude is awesome. Two completely different stories, but at the same time, they are one single story. Just like all of SW has been since it started. Also, I really hope to do some nice crossovers with you guys in the future. May not be soon, but I hope (and feel) that they are coming. Grin Great job. I can't wait for more.

I also hope there will be cross-overs in the future!  If nothing else, as LSG pointed out, doing the spade-work of planning the collaboration helps to focus the story.  :-) There will be more!  But on with the Shadow Etude.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »

Chapter 5: Free Fall

Darkness, but not complete.  It was just about 30 minutes to dawn and the red light of the interior of Fenris’ Dirge cast fractured shadows over our faces, Jorya and I.  Looking at my chronometer, I saw that we still had about 2 minutes before we would begin.  Looking at the Togruta, I saw that she had all of the outward appearance of calm.  But her presence in the Force was another story entirely.  Again, she was equal parts anticipation and excitement.  The only indication of her apprehension was that she was caressing her lightsaber hilt while checking the emitter for clearance.  Good, she is an excellent student; certainly better than I was at her age, I told myself.  And during the interim, I allowed myself to think back earlier in the evening…

“…and so, Master Karmack left instructions.  And, of course his warning.  As far as your question, Master D’Aylanna, Master Karmack was certain the crystalline lattice would propagate the signal on an exponential frequency.” The koawan’s silver hair shone even over holovid, her kindly face sympathetic and wise.

“Thank you ever so much, Koawan Telow’na.  My husband was of like enquiry when it came to Oscillation Mechanics.  Please convey our collective thanks and goodwill to Master Karmack and Lady Arnor.
Fenris’ Dirge out.”

The holovid disappeared, leaving me filled with trepidation.  That was the missing piece that I couldn’t think of the night before; Karm’s experiences were the working hypothesis that I’d needed.  I just hoped that my suppositions were correct.  Of course, if they were, it also meant that Jennira would easily overpower us with her Song.

But…sometimes you had to roll a hard twelve.

As red light turned to green, casting a verdant hue in the bay, I was forced from my ruminations.  Time.  In our ears, we heard D’Aylanna go over her last-minute itinerary: “I will check the primary site; with luck it will be sufficient for landing.  If not, it will take an additional 10-20 minutes if I must disembark from secondary or tertiary sites.  And Jorya, Shakal: be careful.”

“Love you too, Ereneda.” I whispered while doing Final Checks on Jorya.  Once finished, she and I reversed roles.  I also used the time to go over advice: “Remember Jorya, don’t deploy until your HUD reads ‘500’ or under.  I’ll be with you the entire way.”  By then, my chronometer read “+27 seconds.”  Shaking my head, I saw my daughter out of the corner of my eye as we moved to the rear hatch while securing our breathing masks.  And silently counting down from “three” with my fingers, I hit the gate controls…and stepped out into nothing.

Even at 12,000 meters, I thought I could see our objective.  But we were falling and falling fast.  I did the math in my head: transit would take just 3.5 minutes and by the time we hit our chutes, we’ll be traveling at 54 meters per second.  But we’d circumvent the entrance to the canyons, avoiding countless Sith-Shadows.  Or so I hoped.

Three minutes.

Again, I found myself contemplative, thinking back to earlier in the evening…

“Yes.  The Oscillator should lock onto the resonant frequency.  I’m just not absolutely certain that the crystalline-lattice will enact propagation.”  I attempted not to agonize but I knew that my brow was furrowed with worry.  “Well…I guess we’ll find out once we get there,” I said light-heartedly in an attempt to dispel my former mood.  It worked.  Somewhat.

“Yes,
Shakal.  But what about the surrounding strata?  I don’t think that there is enough igneous rock to support Fenris’ Dirge here.  However, I’ve scanned for potential harbors that I can utilize for a landing.”  She put her hand into the holovid, zooming it in.  “I believe that I’ve found three adequate spots in which I can disembark from.”  She twisted her fingers, tightening in on the map.  Looking at me, I could tell by her dark eyes that she wasn’t at all happy with any of the three prospects.  But we were limited with what we could work with…

Kuat’s sun was peaking over the horizon, my helmet’s filters darkening to compensate for the increased illumination.  The green clouds were still below me but Jorya and I were fast approaching their elevation.

Two minutes.

Even as we prepared the evening prior, we discussed the events in the manufactory…

“No, Ereneda, the Zabrak could not only hear the Song, he was a Dark Singer.  And while I’m not certain of what that portends, I think it’s reasonable to assume that his ‘relationship’ with Jennira is more than professional.  She must be teaching him.”  I paced about conference room…as much as the confined space would let me.

D’Aylanna’s eyebrow arched, the hint of a smile upon her blue lips.  “Indeed,
Shakal?  And here I thought Master Karmack’s information regarding the Night Sisters’ ‘Warren-Clan’ posited just that poss—no, probability.  Her Sith-Shadow are her chattel-brood.”

Looking at her with a hint of exasperation, I crossed my arms.  “That’s not what I mean and you know it.”  Still, I could see the humor in it…if only for the sardonic undertone.  Taking a breath, I continued.  “
Ereneda, I think that she actually considers Mellichae more than just her ‘brood.’  That’s why even his nascent skill at Singing was so potent: she has been not just teaching him but supplementing him.  Remember what Karm and Arnor told us?  When two or more Singers are together—or are bonded—they propagate their influence on the Song.  The whole becomes more than the sum of its parts…”

I could now see details in the landscape, even if minute.  The vast Canticum Lowlands were spread out before us as Jorya and I fell unimpeded to the planet below.

One minute.

But it was in that moment, last night, that we laid the last of our plans out for our encounter with the Night Sister and her Sith-Shadows…

“Mother, Father…I know that we’ve already agreed upon the strategy of our tactics but…I think that it would be better that it be me.  Jennira is expecting either one of you to do something.”  Her blue eyes shifted from D’Aylanna’s and back to mine.  “But I doubt that she’d think that I could do anything.  Let me do it.”  The confident set of her face was only momentarily belied by her nervous habit to tap the index finger of her left hand as she awaited our decision.  By the Maker I was proud of her.

I was about to open my mouth to speak when D’Aylanna’s voice overrode me…if inadvertently.  “Jorya.  This not only requires acute precision but also sublime stealth and no small amount of luck.”  D’Aylanna’s dark eyes burrowed into Jorya’s, the Togruta bowing her head.  My wife’s head turned slightly, the light causing the midnight blue in her hair to shine out.  “I think that your proposal is not only valid but helps to guarantee the best chances of success.”  D’Aylanna turned towards me.  “Don’t you agree, Shakal?”

“Implicitly, Ereneda.”  I agreed immediately.  Jorya looked up at both of us, pride and love radiating from her slowly widening grin.  “We believe in you, Dear One.”

A warning sounded from my HUD; we were at 500 meters altitude.  Pulling the ripcord, my chute deployed in a split-second.  I went from 54 meters per second to 6 meters per second, slowing further as I manipulated the jesses, pulling the chute concavely.  Scanning the sky, I was able to spy Jorya; like an expert, she’d deployed within a second of me.  Good.

If anyone was looking skyward, they would be very hard-pressed to see us: our chutes were made of Hapan light-scattering materials, as were the jumpsuits we wore.  They not only worked with visible light but also with the infrared and ultraviolet spectrums.  Not for the first time was I grateful for D’Aylanna’s Hapan relations.

Looking down, I saw that we were within 10 meters of our target landing zone.  Good.  I quickly looked at my chronometer.  It read “+231.”  Focusing on the ground, I pulled hard on the jesses, finally walking myself to a landing.  As soon as I felt anchored, I pulled on the ripcord again, stowing my chute back in my outer pack.  Hitting the button on the center of my chest, the outer pack unlatched and I shrugged out of it.  Once done, I removed the jumpsuit, exposing my black tac-utilities underneath.  Turning my head to the side, I saw that Jorya was already doing the same.  Using our hand signals, I told her “come here” and “take a knee.”

When our heads were next to one another, I quietly went over our checklist.  Looking into her eyes, I was confident that she was as ready as she could be.  I briefly looked skyward, saying a silent litany for D’Aylanna and then another for us.  I approached the crevice, stopping just short of the drop.  Behind me, Jorya was already at work belaying herself.

Hooking our nylasteel lines in a fissure that ran the horizontal length of the mesa top, we prepared to rappel down the sheer sides.  If our calculations were correct, we were within 25 meters of the main crystalline-lattice structure.  Which also meant that we were quite literally on top of Jennira.  Taking a calming breath, I looked at Jorya, smiled, silently mouthing “good luck” and stepped off the ledge.

And into the blackness of the unknown.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: