Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My First Saber - Scorpion with Diamond  (Read 1492 times)
DubTak
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 16

Aggressively Negotiating since 1986

« on: November 04, 2017, 09:55:04 AM »

A not-so-long time ago in a galaxy so nearby that it's actually just this one...
I first saw the Scorpion on the UltraSabers site. It was beautiful, it was everything I could ever dream of, it was perfection.
But, alas, my job didn't pay well and the idea of buying the saber seemed woefully out of reach.

Now, though, I have a good job. Now I can let my dreams become my destiny.
The Scorpion arrived yesterday.

It.

Is.

Glorious.

You can see some other sabers in the background there. My friends all got Mystery Sabers, but I had the burning need for exactly the Scorpion with exactly a Diamond Controller.

Let's go over the pros and cons of my Scorpion:

PROS
-Have you seen this thing? Look at the pictures again. It looks that good in person too.
-The windows. Oh, my, the windows. On the flanged emitter, on the little coupler bit below it. They're what first drew me to the Scorpion.
-Diamond Controller means I can make it do ANYTHING.
-The weight balance. The Scorpion is a big hilt, but with the blade in it is surprisingly smooth to handle.
 It's like watching a 16-wheeler make a 90o turn, or run a slalom course.
-Pretty much everything else. I could gush about this thing all day.

CONS
Not many, but I do have a few minor quibbles
-It's BIG, but I knew that going in. I don't think I had quite wrapped my brain around just how big, though. Attached to the CoverTec wheel, the claw reaches my knee.
 I guess the size is more unexpected than negative. Someone can give you the dimensions of a thing, but holding it in your hands, now that's something else.
-The battery holder does not want to give up those batteries. I can get them out, eventually, to recharge the saber, but they do make me work for it. I should've sprung for the recharge port, but I didn't so here we are.
-A few minor sharp edges. Those little faux-windows with the etching work by the AV switch are bothersome if I'm really swinging the saber around and sliding my hands about. Also the outer edge of the AV switch itself has a bit of an edge to it. The overwhelming majority of the saber is smooth, and I didn't even notice the slightly sharp bits until I had swung the saber around all the time for two days straight.

That's pretty much it. The negatives are minor and the positives are overwhelming. I am obscenely happy with this saber.

9.75/10, would buy again in a heartbeat, even with the minor issues.

As a side note, when I was describing the saber to my co-workers, I claimed that it could oscillate through every color of the rainbow while playing the Star Spangled Banner backwards. I'm still working on the SSB part of it, but the rainbow part is easy-peasy:

Yours in the Force,
DubTak

Yours in the Force,
DubTak

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »

Glorious is d@mn right. It is a truly stunning saber DubTak! Thanks for sharing with us  Grin

Point

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Wahshiya
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »

Great review.

As you can see the scorp is next on my list.  Seeing this just makes it harder to resist ordering it right now!

Current Ultra Sabers arsenal:
Emperor's Hand - Menace emitter, Emerald controller and v4 Obsidian SB
Archon 3.1 - Diamond controller
Fulcrum - Emerald controller and v3 Obsidian SB
Dark War Glaive - RGB w/ v4 SB
Raven - BR w/ v4 SB
"Revanite Sentinel" (customized Dark Sentinel V4) - Red - stunt
"Revanite Sentinel Reforged" (customized Dark Sentinel V4 LE) - Obsidian V3 SB - Purple w/ QDs
Plus lots more stunt and project sabers
Next up: Scorpion, Malice, Flamberge V2

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »

Congrats on the Scorpion with Diamond. I have two Scorpions, Blazing Red, stunts that I use as a staff for cosplay purposes. I have dabbled with the idea of sending them in for a upgrade, now more than ever. Great job.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Pink Ego
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

That’s beautiful, nice pics.

Jovvi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 26

Light Side Points, Please

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:26:18 AM »

Awesome pictures and description - makes me wanna - go Hmmmmmm.  They're gorgeous, well done and great design!
LOL at the SSB backwards... 

The Old Broad with a Dog
May the Force be with us all

"The hare runs into the fire. The fire, it loves her, she is free..."  - "Tiffany" - I Shall Wear Midnight

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:54:07 AM »

The scorpion is such an elegant beast  Shocked

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

MaskofMany
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: -151

All your sabers are belong to us...

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »

My first saber was an Emerald Scorpion (Diamond hadn't come out yet), and yeah - they're awesome & super gorgeous.  Because of the size of the thing, I consider it more of a definite 2-handed saber, and I use 40" blades in it.  Get a mid-grade 40" and it's easy swinging, so much fun.

On your battery problem, here's a trick:  get yourself some ribbon from a fabric store, and next time you pop the batteries out cut a piece of ribbon a few inches long and lay it in the case before putting the batteries back in - that way next time when you go to get them out, you just pull both ends of the ribbon.  Pops right out without hardly any fuss.

Congrats on your Scorpion!

Dark Side Points Please Smiley

DubTak
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 16

Aggressively Negotiating since 1986

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:37 AM »

Quote from: MaskofMany
On your battery problem, here's a trick:  get yourself some ribbon from a fabric store, and next time you pop the batteries out cut a piece of ribbon a few inches long and lay it in the case before putting the batteries back in - that way next time when you go to get them out, you just pull both ends of the ribbon.  Pops right out without hardly any fuss.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I saw a video where someone attached one end of the ribbon to the battery case with a hot glue gun, which keeps it stuck on there (good for people like me who tend to drop small lengths of important ribbon  Grin).

Yours in the Force,
DubTak

Yours in the Force,
DubTak

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: