Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: If you like it, put a ring on it.  (Read 5309 times)
Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« on: November 04, 2017, 04:29:10 PM »

So I have this desktop wallpaper of my spirit animal on my computer

And in it, there is a saber that doesn't exist

I've been staring at this saber for a long time and have wanted it every time I see it. So me, being the mad saber scientist that I am, I decided to get after it and MAKE it exist. I knew I needed a vented coupler from US for the emitter which meant the rest of the saber had to be MHS compatible. So I looked through the US lineup for something with the right kind of body shape with all those rings.

I nearly settled on an Archon but wasn't happy that only half the body would have rings... and then I remembered you can take the shroud off the ringinest ring-dog of them all; The Consular.

So after buying a second-hand consular, I tore into it with the sandpaper and started making those rings appear.

I took a coupler and took one threaded side off

Then sanded, buffed and polished in my usual over-achiever way until it was a mirror

So that takes care of my body and emitter

A silver switch looked better on this build, and I absolutely detest illuminated switches anyway. If I want a saber that looks like a toy I'll just buy a telescopic blade Hasbro POS.

I needed the right kind of pommel. Round, long, plain. I contemplated a Raven pommel, and was going to use the male end of a QR coupler until I remembered I had this TCSS bad-boy in my saber parts bin. So I sanded, buffed and polished this up to match the mirror finish of the rest of the silver.

I got so used to seeing the silver switch in there without a bezel that once I put the bezel back on for a test fit it looked too big, chunky and just didn't suit the clean tuxedo-like flow of this build... So, mad saber scientist mode was activated again while I painstakingly hand-sanded this bezel down as thin as I could manage.

Original version versus Isola version

After making such a clean saber I didn't want to ruin it with a blade retention screw, and I also wanted to avoid the Catalyst style drama of the blade getting pushed to one side and looking cheap and nasty by not having even pressure on the blade. So a piece of PVC pipe was cut and sanded to the EXACT size of the gap between the emitter and the MLS unit in the neck.

It made my house look like I buy more than just coffee from Columbia lol

I bonded the ring to the blade with special plastic glue.

It also eliminated all LED rattles

The OD of the pipe is the same as the bottom of the thread, and the ID was slightly smaller than the blade. I opened up the ID a bit and friction fit the blade, then just put some of the plastic glue on it for good measure.

No crooked blades in my sabers thank you!

I present to you; The Agloe*

I wound up changing the color to blue because I want to make one of the blue ones from that wallpaper image as well, but in green. So rather than two green ones I made this one Guardian Blue. It also helped that I had a stunt GB LED unit sitting around, yes this is a stunt saber, mostly because it will be a shelf queen next to all my General Grievous stuff, but also because I have stolen the Emerald innards out of this saber for a very special project, and also also because the green one I am going to build is going to be a stunt setup and they may as well match!

*The name comes from this story I've always liked about something that wasn't real, but then it was, and then it wasn't... or was it?

http://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/03/18/290236647/an-imaginary-town-becomes-real-then-not-true-story

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »

That.

Is.

BADASS!

Excellent workmanship; and truly a beautiful saber.  You're able to sublimely marry both parts of "artist" and "artisan"  Smiley

And I like the name^^

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »

Hi.  I'm speechless and don't recognize this saber in any way.  Outstanding creative thoughts and construction.  This may be the only time that you purposefully create saber rings lol.  You never cease to amaze me with your mad skills.  Shocked

Your spirit animal... hahaha  Grin  I get the you causing grievous err... grief every now and then.  Wink

well deserved point  Cool

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2029

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »

Very nice for sure. And lots of rings Tongue Is removing the blade a pain with that piece in though? I never wouldn't thought of anything like that especially for say a Bellicose

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:12 PM »

Freaking amazing! Stunning! Beautiful! I want it  Grin

Great job Isola

Point

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Wahshiya
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 40

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:23:05 PM »

Very, very cool!

I love the solution to the blade retention problem.

I have been working on a similar-ish custom emitter.  I am glad to know it is possible to have it come out looking great!

Current Ultra Sabers arsenal:
Emperor's Hand - Menace emitter, Emerald controller and v4 Obsidian SB
Archon 3.1 - Diamond controller
Fulcrum - Emerald controller and v3 Obsidian SB
Dark War Glaive - RGB w/ v4 SB
Raven - BR w/ v4 SB
"Revanite Sentinel" (customized Dark Sentinel V4) - Red - stunt
"Revanite Sentinel Reforged" (customized Dark Sentinel V4 LE) - Obsidian V3 SB - Purple w/ QDs
Plus lots more stunt and project sabers
Next up: Scorpion, Malice, Flamberge V2

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »

Spectacular work Isola, I have come to expect nothing less from you, please continue to share your wonderful creations!

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »

Wow.  Awesome job. I love it. Point.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Tzimho
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -75

I'm one with the force, the force is with me..

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:43:40 AM »

Looking good, kinda seems like a mix of the dark Sentinel LE V4 and the Dominix LE V2.

Point to you for an excellent job!

Working on a Gray-Jedi cosplay...

Following the ways of the Force, not the ways of some order!

Dark Shock (Emerald RGBA V4 sound)
Reaper (Emerald RGBW V4 sound)

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 02:25:45 AM »

That is some VERY impressive work, Isola
If I could give more than one point at a time, I would.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 03:17:16 AM »

I like illuminated AV switches ...   Tongue

I didn't mention this before but did you also polish the switch?

It looks super shiny and really pops.

All the points.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »

Nothing against any body else but I think this is my favorite custom built I have seen on the sight! Well done!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Isola815
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 594

"Most Redacted"

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »

Thanks everybody for the feedback, and good to see you again D7  Kiss

Haz - I know you like them  Grin

Also, the switch was actually that way when I purchased it and it was what prompted the mirror finish. Originally I was going to do a matte finish like in the picture but the switch was too nice to take the finish off. Also I realized that because it's a Grievous saber, it's a trophy and it should be nothing less than the best. He'd take better care of his sabers than his own mechanical body, I think.

Hansrad
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -670

Jedi? Sith? I'm the one with the lightsaber.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »

That looks amazing. You always manage such a nice finish with your sandings. Making the coupler into an emitter was genius!

Own: Emerald Overlord, BHManticore, BR Renegade,FO Dominix LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix LE V4 (stunt), GB Apprentice LE(stunt),BR Dark Initiate LE V4 (stunt), AS Apprentice LE V4 (stunt), CG Dominix V3 (stunt), SRD Darkish Liberator (stunt) Emerald Lost Grey.

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 02:59:34 PM »

wow! well done!

points for you

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: