Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Recommendations on hilts for light/demo dueling, please  (Read 2325 times)
Alplily
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 5

« on: November 05, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »

Hi there... newbie working on selecting first saber. I am a 5'4" woman with medium-small hands. I have never held a lightsaber. My goal is to have a well balanced comfortable saber for solo choreography, and light to medium dueling (for cosplay), spins, flashy stuff. I plan to age/weather the hilt and wrap it with leather (for both comfort and style), so a simple design is fine. I will be working with our local martial arts guy for solo fitness choreography and handling. Will likely get the midgrade blade, Obisidian, FOC.  If I get good at this, I can always upgrade the blade. Oh, and can the sound be shut off or disabled?

Looking at:
Initiate V3
Initiate V4
The Aeons?
Sentinel?

Thanks!

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:56 PM »

Hi there... newbie working on selecting first saber. I am a 5'4" woman with medium-small hands. I have never held a lightsaber. My goal is to have a well balanced comfortable saber for solo choreography, and light to medium dueling (for cosplay), spins, flashy stuff. I plan to age/weather the hilt and wrap it with leather (for both comfort and style), so a simple design is fine. I will be working with our local martial arts guy for solo fitness choreography and handling. Will likely get the midgrade blade, Obisidian, FOC.  If I get good at this, I can always upgrade the blade. Oh, and can the sound be shut off or disabled?

Looking at:
Initiate V3
Initiate V4
The Aeons?
Sentinel?

Thanks!

Sound can be shut off only on the V4 soundboards and Diamond sound. For someone of your height, I would recommend any of the Apprentice or Initiate models with a 32 inch blade.  I have two Dark Apprentices and they are great for spinning.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:53 PM »

Initiate's or Apprentice would work really well for you. Aeon/Dominix is a longer version of the Initiate and the Sentinel is the longer version of the Apprentice.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 09:21:31 PM »

Sound can be shut off only on the V4 soundboards and Diamond sound.

Also on the V3, but only by uploading an empty font to the board. No muting on the fly, though, you always need a PC for the V3.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Alplily
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone. Is there much handling difference between the Initiate V3 and V4? The V3 looks to have choke points that the V4 lacks.
I think I have decided on the Initiate V3 or V4. It looks like emitter windows may not be available on the V3... so if the choke points are moot, I'd go with the V4. If I want more length or counterweight eventually, I can always get a different, longer pommel.
And to clarify for the newbie, sound can be shut off on the fly if you have OBSIDIAN V4 soundboard?

Going with:
Sunrider's Destiny
Silver FOC (I hope it's pretty)
Ultraedge midgrade blade
Obsidian V4 soundboard
Standard vented pommel

Appreciate all this... placing order tomorrow. Thanks.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:05:21 PM »

I have not handled an Initiate v3 but currently own 4 v4's It is my favorite hilt by far. The windows are lovely but sometimes my hand wants to slide up and grip over the emitter windows while spinning. I also would spend a little more and choose a different pommel. The standard vented pommel is just a big hole and offers very little protection for the speaker

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:16:41 AM »

Initiate V4 is a good choice.
My first saber was a Dark Initiate LE V4 with 32" blade
Yes, there is a 'mute' set on the Obsidian V4 soundboard.
I agree with Lady Agana about possibly choosing a different pommel

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »

I'd recommend the Sentinel. It's an outstanding blade with choke points located perfectly. Given the right blade length for your height, it would work for either a one-hand or two-hand saber. You could even switch between the two if you really wanted. It may not offer great customizing as the emitter is permanently attached, but you can always switch the pommel or go nuts with the weathering/painting/leather like you mentioned.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

Mimiaga
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -26

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »

For your size, I'd lean away from the sentinel and aeon/dominix. You might find them a bit long. Any of the other models would be a better choice, especially for more exhibition purposes. I'd also recommend ad 32 inch blade rather than 36 inch, better for smaller wielders (and better in crowded conventions).

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »

I haven't used a V3, but I've heard that they are significantly more comfortable for spinning. I do own a V4, and it is amazing (not as nice as Apprentice IMO), but I grip it where the windows would be. I did not get the windows because I wanted that area for gripping, and I also didn't care much for the windows. With the windows, it is a bit uncomfortable to grip/spin there, but not impossible. For a classy pommel to go along with it, and counterbalance the blade (especially an HG blade), I'd recommend the Shock/Dark Shock (depending on the finish that you get). Also, just be aware that SRD is not always as blue as it looks in the advertised pictures. Still a great color, but many people (myself included) are or were a little disappointed by this fact. I got used to it, and now really like it, but I still would have rather had it more blue. Just be aware of that, but that does not mean it wont be that blue, just that there is a possibility of it being more green. Hope this helps, and hope you find what you are looking for.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »

I have Apprentice and Sentinel v4s, as well as an Aeon v4.  I have on order several in the aeon/sentinel (and shorter) v2, v3, and v4 lines.  I'll post a full review once I get all of those in.

For the time being, I will say this:  the apprentices/initiates usually have one choke-point, where the aeon/sentinel/dominix usually has 2.

With the Initiate/Aeon v2, that's not the case, as the Aeon v2 appears to be simply a longer section below the activation switch (I'll confirm when they're in my hands).
The Initiate/Aeon v3, the Aeon has larger choke points located further back on the saber, away from the emitter. 
The Initiate/Aeon v4, the Aeon has deeper choke points and better sized palm swells between them.
The Apprentice/Sentinel, the Sentinel has a slightly bigger choke point and has a second choke point.

Personally, as someone with small hands, the more/bigger the choke points on the saber, the easier it is to grip, unless the one on the initiate/apprentice is in the exact right spot.

So I think the Sentinel size can be just as easy for a smaller person (I'm 5'5") as an Apprentice size.

I'll give more complete thoughts in a review once I have all the sabers in hand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: