Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mantis Review  (Read 1800 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: November 11, 2017, 06:56:03 AM »

I got my first curved lightsaber, a stunt Mantis CE in Sunrider's Destiny.  I opted for the quick-disconnect LED and also purchased a red LED module with it.  I will give an opinion and an indisputable fact: I like the curved lightsaber.  The Mantis is the best curved lightsaber on the Ultrasabers site.

The Mantis is the most complicated saber I own, in terms of what's going on with the hilt.  It is overbuilt, meaning it is big and bulky.  It has a lot of sharp edges, which are a turn-off.  The very first thing I did, in fact, was to remove the shroud between the activation switch and the emitter, because it added unnecessary grip diameter and it had the sharpest edges on the whole saber.  As soon as I took this off, the saber became very comfortable in my hands.  I love the texture on the grip, and the curve feels very natural in the hand.  I like holding it above the curve for spinning, just behind the curve for Makashi, and it has some interesting leverage when used two-handed.

The next thing I noticed is how pommel-heavy the Mantis is.  When I was spinning, the saber almost felt like it had a stabilizer on that was trying to return to its upright position.  I took off the Mantis pommel and put on an Aeon v4 pommel, and the saber became much better balanced.  Now, the pommel is a bit thinner than the hilt, but that's not a huge issue.  It's also not a huge issue that the mantis pommel is a little big on the Aeon v4.  However, the fact that these parts are supposed to be compatible with each other means, in my opinion, that they should work together well.

The Mantis still has the stock emitter (with no claws), which is very long and contains some sharp edges.  I would like to try a different emitter on it, but I am worried that a shorter emitter would have problems with balance again. 

My overall impression is that the Mantis is a beautiful saber that should be a display queen.  For either dueling or spinning, I could see the value in a curved lightsaber, but the Mantis isn't one I want for either situation.  For now, it is my niche curved-hilt saber, but I can't really see myself getting another one of these (for example, a Diamond mantis or a different color hilt).  What it has taught me is that if there was a no-frills style curved-hilt lightsaber released by Ultrasabers, like a curved Sentinel, for example, I will jump on that new item in a heartbeat.

Onto one last complaint - the quick disconnect LED.  There are two versions of the quick disconnect LED module.  The link on the Mantis options that says "purchase additional MLS units here" takes you to the wrong module.  To be fair, the item description says which sabers it fits, and the Mantis is not included.  However, I did not read the description, as I had assumed the link from the Mantis would take me to the correct item.
Now, I still can swap LEDs...but I have to not only unplug the LED module, but I also have to swap the LED itself from one module to the other.  So if Module A came with the saber and Module B is the extra, I have to take the red LED out of Module B and put it into Module A if I want to change colors.

I went into this purchase having read reviews that the Mantis is bigger than it needs to be, that it has a bunch of sharp edges, and that it is a beautiful saber.  I have to say, as far as a functional saber, it's pretty darn terrible.  It's horribly balanced, bulky, heavy, uncomfortable in the hand, and has a ton of sharp edges.  It is also the best-looking saber I own, and I've got myself a nice collection going already.  I would have to agree with the other reviews I've read: the Mantis is gorgeous, but it is only the best curved-hilt lightsaber Ultrasabers offers because...well, it's the only one.

If I had two suggestions for Ultrasabers after my experience here, it would be this:
  • Release a lightsaber that is a much more stripped-down curved hilt lightsaber, something maybe not quite as pretty as the Mantis, but much more usable
  • Go through your links on any saber with a quick-disconnect LED and make sure they're all pointing to the correct MLS unit for that particular saber.  Also link the 2 MLS units to each other so you can say "click here if your saber isn't listed."

---

Parting thoughts:  Ultrasabers, I do feel a bit bad for posting this review, as I love your products and I have several sabers from you I'm very happy with.  I don't want to leave a negative review on your products, but I felt in this case it was warranted.  There is definitely some room for improvement here.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »

skribs, I like honest reviews and this one about the mantis helped give me peace of mind that for a diamond level saber I made the right decision not going with the mantis, I wanted a less bulky more one handed type saber like the menace I have on order so I could more easily navigate the menu and trigger the various gestures.  What you mentioned about the chevrons being sharp on the shroud piece has been brought up many times by various mantis owners. But still it is quite impressive looking, especially with the claws in my opinion, and still am thinking about a stunt or obsidian lite azure version in the future.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »

I am glad I got it in a stunt saber.  I will also be glad to get a diamond version of a more ergonomic curved hilt.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »

Thanks for a thorough and honest review. Mantis is a saber that is on the bottom of my list of wants and it will definitely stay there. Unless I want another shelf queen  Wink

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

Coming from someone who never wants a Mantis, I appericate the honest review.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:40:54 AM »

Point for your honesty, Skribs
Me, I'm hoping they'll release the currently 'con only' Curved Reaper for general sale

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »

Beautiful skribs

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: