Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dominix V3 or V4?  (Read 3549 times)
Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -354

Dark side points please ^^

« on: November 12, 2017, 12:21:49 AM »

Hi there,

I want to buy a new lightsaber before the Autumn Raffle ends, but I'm a little bit at a loss, which one I should take. I really like the Dominix V3 and its handling, but on the same time, the V4 looks cooler (and is MHS modular). How is the handling of the V4 compared to the V3, and does it really make sense to take a V4 just for the "coolness of the look" over the really smooth V3?

I have some problems with handling of the (Dark) Prophecy and the Dark Shock, as a pointer.

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel LE V4 (Diamond)
Dark Sentinel V4 (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Manticore (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Flamberge V2, Adegan Silver sideblades (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dark Prophecy, Blazing Red (Obsidian V4)
Prophecy, Guardian Blue (Obsidian V4)
Dark Sentinel V4, Sun Rider's Destiny (Obsidian V5)
Dark Apprentice v4, Guardian Blue (Stunt)

Sold:
Dark Shock (Emerald & Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, TRI Consular Green (Obsidian V4)
Dominix LE V3, Adegan Silver (Stunt)
Aeon LE V4, Consular Green (Stunt)

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:40:59 AM »

Hi there,

I want to buy a new lightsaber before the Autumn Raffle ends, but I'm a little bit at a loss, which one I should take. I really like the Dominix V3 and its handling, but on the same time, the V4 looks cooler (and is MHS modular). How is the handling of the V4 compared to the V3, and does it really make sense to take a V4 just for the "coolness of the look" over the really smooth V3?

I have some problems with handling of the (Dark) Prophecy and the Dark Shock, as a pointer.

Hi !  I was just thinking about you the other day and hope life is treating you good.  The coolest and nicest to handle for me is the Sentinel with the lozenge shaped windows.  The Aeon/Dominix/Initiate v4 were just fine until I handled the Sentinel/Apprentice.  The v3 are super great to handle but are streamlined plain.  The sloping hand grips are the strongest feature but the anodized coating can feel slippery.  But a good hilt to customize.  Moderately heavier weight.

The reason I say go for the Sentinel is because of the weight, slimmer grooved rings and even the choke points feel comfortable.  If you want a saber closer in length to the Prophecy and Shock then perhaps consider the Initiate/Apprentice with a different pommel.

Most importantly... all of the sabers discussed are pommel MHS compatible only... other then the Shock.

Hope this info helps and hope you win a saber.  Smiley

These are all Initiates or Apprentice.

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2027

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

V4. Actually has a really nice comfy grip while also having that cool factor. I had both at one point so. I still have a V3 LE but I get what you mean on that. If you go LE then you could get say a Manticore high, Overlord, Raven normal, or Archon Classic pommels to kinda mirror the silver top of the emitter section, I always like to have my sabers all matching hilt color wise =] Then silver av switch no matter if its stunt or sound. Just black and silver colored hilts always looks the best no matter which side you choose. You actually kinda made me wanna get myself another one too Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG,
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:14:38 AM »

In a few weeks I should have several of these, so I will be posting my opinions on each version.

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:29:53 AM »

V4s are really comfy.  I don't have a v3, but the 4s the best handling saber I own, especially without windows.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:38:12 AM »

Like Sam, I don't have any experience with a V3, but my son's V4 has a very nice feel to it

Prowl 1701
Mentor of the Prophecy Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 830

We're all just dreams in the end...

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:18:36 AM »

I have both and think they are both great hilts.  They are both comfortable and great for spinning.  Can't go wrong either way. 

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 07:10:51 AM »

I almost bought a Dominix LE V4 for the look on the website, but after handling at a con, I ended up getting a Dark Sentinel LE V4.  It has been great for dueling and now between me and my son we own 3 Dark Sentinels/Apprentices.  Layana, I am curious as to what particular issues you have experienced in handling of the (Dark) Prophecy and the Dark Shock as both those hilts are interesting to me but have only handled the Prophecy and was surprised at how slim it is.  I am definitely going to try to get my hands on a Shock when I go to another con as it kind of reminds me of Aayla Secura's lightsaber.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:58:10 PM »

Dauntless Seven: that's nice of you Cheesy Life is treating my like life does... but at least there will be a new Star Wars film next month XD I might be more around here again Smiley

I have now given in to the Ultrasabers crazyness. From your suggestions, I have now ordered a Dark Sentinel LE v4 with Diamond Controller. And a Dominix LE V3 in TRI Consular Green, because...

I had to make for the 750$ mark to get a Free Mystery Box Saber ... ^^

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)

Sold:

Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »

Layana, I am curious as to what particular issues you have experienced in handling of the (Dark) Prophecy and the Dark Shock as both those hilts are interesting to me but have only handled the Prophecy and was surprised at how slim it is.  I am definitely going to try to get my hands on a Shock when I go to another con as it kind of reminds me of Aayla Secura's lightsaber.

The Prophecy is kind of heavy for a "smaller" Lightsaber. Even when the Dominix is much longer, it's also much lighter. The grooves are kind of ... disturbing for the handling, and when you have a covertec wheel, this one is also just annoying and in the way. You have to unscrew the covertec wheel to have a more or less fine grip. This problem I don't have with the Manticore, the Dark Shock or the Dominix. They all have covertec wheels that are not disturbing my handling, because there is more space over all, so it doesn't get in the way. The prophecy is rather small and every little thing on it might disturb your handling.

With the Dark Shock, it's just that the grooves are disturbing and it's much more thicker and heavier than expected. Its handling is not as smooth as the Manticore's (that in itself is a beast in weight and diameter, but very good to handle).

The best to handle that I had bought so far was the Dominix V3 (I sold it because it was just a stunt saber), followed by the Manticore. I'm very curious now about the Sentinel...

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)

Sold:

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »

Sounds like some very sound reasoning here

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »

Tri-CG is gorgeous, you'll sure love it with your Dom LE V3 I feel Smiley

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:38:32 AM »

Wow a diamond saber !  That's point worthy.  Wink  I can tell you from having a dark Initiate v3 with CG LED that it is a beautiful combination and exceptional for spinning.  Am surprised about the Jedi color choice.  My modified Grey Jedi saber is a Dominix LE v3.  You should have a good chance of receiving an Aeon/Dominix v4 as the free mystery box saber.  Again hope you win big time.  Smiley

Layana
Knight Lt. Commander

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 02:21:54 PM »

Thanks for the points!

I chose the CG because I already have a BR, a GB and 2 Emerald sabers which are at the moment set to BR. Now with the Diamond saber I can also choose my two favourite colours (BR or DAV), so I thought it would be time to have some other colour Cheesy

Also, a Sith can always have snatched away the saber of a dead Jedi in battle Wink

Owned:
Spectre (Diamond)

Sold:

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »

The Prophecy is kind of heavy for a "smaller" Lightsaber. Even when the Dominix is much longer, it's also much lighter. The grooves are kind of ... disturbing for the handling, and when you have a covertec wheel, this one is also just annoying and in the way. You have to unscrew the covertec wheel to have a more or less fine grip. This problem I don't have with the Manticore, the Dark Shock or the Dominix. They all have covertec wheels that are not disturbing my handling, because there is more space over all, so it doesn't get in the way. The prophecy is rather small and every little thing on it might disturb your handling.

With the Dark Shock, it's just that the grooves are disturbing and it's much more thicker and heavier than expected. Its handling is not as smooth as the Manticore's (that in itself is a beast in weight and diameter, but very good to handle).

The best to handle that I had bought so far was the Dominix V3 (I sold it because it was just a stunt saber), followed by the Manticore. I'm very curious now about the Sentinel...
Just my 2˘s: the Sentinel has fantastic balance, handling, and choke points. It's perfect for spinning and combat both.  Furthermore, it looks awesome  Wink. Point of fact, I just picked up a Dark Sentinel for my raffle entry  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: