Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Aeon v2 RGB review (focus on RGB setup)  (Read 6260 times)
skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« on: November 12, 2017, 06:52:24 AM »

Among a ginormous order of stunt sabers I recently made to help facilitate using lightsabers in my martial arts class, I got a few toys for myself to play around with.  One is a Mantis that I already reviewed, and another is the Aeon LE v2 with RGB switches.  The BLUF (Bottom-Line Up Front) is that I like the RGB switch, but I will probably only get 2 more sabers with the RGB setup.  Why is that?  And which ones are they?  Keep reading to find out!

First off, I am not focusing on the Aeon v2.  The saber is very utilitarian in nature.  I am doing a review in the near future on the Initiates, Apprentices, Aeons, Dominixes, and Sentinels of the v2, v3, and v4 generations, so I will focus on the Aeon during that review.  This is primarily about the RGB setup on the saber.

Positives:
  • Cheapest way to get Yellow on an Ultrasaber (except maybe with color disks)
  • Cheapest saber I've seen from any manufacturer that will let you swap colors
  • Fastest saber to get to a specific color on the fly
  • Subjective: The 3 switches look really badass
  • Thin grip and perfectly balanced (where the blade meets the emitter is the center of balance)
  • The colors seem brighter than the other stunt sabers I own, and the blue + green combo is especially gorgeous

Negatives:
  • The buttons take up a bit of real estate and make it tough for your main hand to find a grip, except for right at the tip of the emitter
  • Steep price ($90) for the addition of the two extra switches
  • The Red LED is too powerful and the green LED is too weak.  I see this in the new Diamond express as well.  In the Diamond Express, the colors are balanced at 50% red, 75% blue, and 100% green.  On both the diamond and the RGB, the "white" option has a pinkish hue to it.
  • Not really a flaw, because it is technically correct in terms of what 100% red and 100% blue make in light, but I was expecting purple (like violet amethyst) and got fuscia instead.
  • The Aeon v2 is not compatible with the other Ultrasabers pommels (I'll get into this more in a future review)

Overall, it's a pretty unique saber in my lineup.  I enjoy it, and I will probably use it as my instructor saber when I'm leading classes with stunt sabers.  I can easily go red if I want to be evil that day, or go with another combination depending on how I feel that day.  Yellow is nice because I can be the only one with a yellow saber, but I like the light blue color as well.

I said I was only planning on getting 2 more RGB sabers.  The main reason I'm not getting more than that (I have a problem, I know) is because $90 is, to my knowledge, the most expensive option Ultrasabers offers on their sabers that doesn't have a computer chip in it, and if I'm going to start spending money, I'm usually going to end up with a Diamond saber.  I currently have stunts and diamonds, and my plan for the most part is to keep it that way.  I can get 2 sentinel v4s for the price of an Aeon v2 RGB and have some money left over, and if I get anything besides red, green, or blue, then the sentinels will do it better.

However, there are 2 RGB sabers that I want.  The first is another Aeon LE v2.  I would like to make a staff of these.  That would make for a unique staff.  The other thing I want is a Bane RGB with Obsidian sound.  I think it would have more room for the hands, and it is a fairly unique option (RGB with the master switch).  This was a testbed to later get the RBG Bane if I liked the RGB Aeon.

Would I recommend this?  Yes, under the following conditions:
  • You really want a cheap yellow saber
  • You want to be able to change colors on a whim
  • You want a unique looking Ultrasaber
  • You're like me and want a new toy to play with

This is not a saber I'd duel with and probably won't be a saber I do demonstrations with, but it is a cool saber nonetheless.  I'm glad I got one, and if one interests you, I would say go get it!

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »

Another good review skribs, is there a pic somewhere of this saber?  I'm interested in seeing how it looks with all those buttons.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

Very informative, thanks for posting. I don't have an RGB saber and have never really looked at one. I do like the idea of color change on-the-fly but the number of switches is a big turn off.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

It's actually slightly longer than the regular Aeon LE V2, as the "activation box" is longer to accept more switches.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:35:28 PM »

Have to admit not being a big fan of the RGB-style hilts, myself.
Thanks for your honest review.

Point for you

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »

Don't see many of them, but I'm a fan of mine. Possibly just obliviousness on my part, but I didn't realise you could get it in the LE setup as mine is the plain silver version. Good review Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »

Nice. Does having three switches get in the way?

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »

Nice. Does having three switches get in the way?

A little bit, but not a whole lot.  It's more like it dictates that you must grip near the emitter, whereas with an Aeon v2 without the RGB switches I could grip a little bit lower and not worry about "cutting" my fingers off with the blade.

Jovvi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 26

Light Side Points, Please

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »

Fantastic detailed review.  Was even understandable by a Saber neophyte like this Old Broad with a Dog.  Thank you!

The Old Broad with a Dog
May the Force be with us all

"The hare runs into the fire. The fire, it loves her, she is free..."  - "Tiffany" - I Shall Wear Midnight

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:52 PM »

Nice!  I think I may have to look into getting one of these.  I wonder if you can get it with all three switches upgraded to latching non-illuminated AVs...

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »

Let us know what they ( US ) say when you ask them.  I have x2 Dominix LE v2 RGB plus a loaded dark Shock RGB.  In the past the only av switches that I have seen are those customized by other members.  You can get a master av switch lit or not on a sound board or higher RGB saber.  In my opinion it looks a little mismatched with the other guarded switches.  Smiley

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping that it would be possible to get illuminated AV switches in green, blue, and red, as I thought it would look awesome on a Bane RGB with an Obisian chip, but apparently that's not the case unless I do it myself.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »

Yeah, I was hoping that it would be possible to get illuminated AV switches in green, blue, and red, as I thought it would look awesome on a Bane RGB with an Obisian chip, but apparently that's not the case unless I do it myself.
I think the illuminated switched need to be momentary.  You would need to install a conversion board, probably one for each switch.  That's a lot of boards to fit into the body of the saber.

The non-AV switches they have now come in latching variety.  If I pull the trigger on this one I will probably have to ask if it is possible to upgrade all three switches to AV.  Some time ago I was getting a Bellicose RGB setup and at that time they would not upgrade all four switches (RGB and master) but that was before they offered the latching AV switches...  So maybe?

I'll let you know what they say.  :-)

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

I've asked before and been told no, but I'm interested if the answer's changed.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:02 AM »

The answer I received is that there is not enough room for the AV switches.  They won't fit.  The guarded switches are apparently smaller. 
Oh well...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: