Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lost Gray for spinning/saber artistry?  (Read 1077 times)
Qui Gon with the Jin
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:51 AM »

I've decided the lost gray would be what I would want to get, but I just had some questions as to people's experience with it for spinning.

Some points I'd like to ask is, do the non-functioning buttons get in the way?

I'm right handed, so should I request the covertech be moved, if that is possible or built differently? (I've heard you want to hold the lower end of the saber with your dominant hand, in which case the covertech would make more sense to be moved if that is possible.)

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

For the most part, the non-functioning buttons do not get in the way.  However, this is neither a small, nor a light saber.  It's basically an apprentice or sentinel with an additional shroud around it, as best I can tell.  It's thicker (harder to do fancy spins) and heavier (slower to spin).

It's a beautiful saber, and I like it for a dueling saber, but if spinning is your goal I'd get something thinner.

I have never heard that you should hold the lower end with your dominant hand.  Your dominant hand is doing the spinning, and that's done higher.  Your off-hand should be holding the lower end for support.

Zyn
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 63

What do I see? Light... Darkness.... Balance

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:34:46 PM »

Your dominant hand is doing the spinning, and that's done higher.  Your off-hand should be holding the lower end for support.

This. Your offhand is there for support, your dominant hand does the motion and supplies the force of the strike.

Of course, you could always learn to duel lefty (assuming that you are, in fact, a righty). Or if you played baseball and switch hit (like me), you already have the advantage of being able to fight from either side of your hilt.

And a third option is to just duel with a staff, and then it doesn't matter which hand is dominant  Cheesy

"The protectors of the Balance must stand on the edge of two worlds, accepted by neither, masters of both."

Butcher (Diamond) | Emperor's Hand* (BR) | Lost Gray* (SD) | Sentinel v4* (BR) | Reaper (AB) | D. Initiate (AS) | D. Apprentice LE v4 (SY) | Aeon v4 (CG) (WILLING TO TRADE) | Dark Sentinel/Aeon Staff (FO) | D. Prophecy Build Project (Pending)

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

And a third option is to just duel with a staff, and then it doesn't matter which hand is dominant  Cheesy

Actually most staff techniques have one hand as the dominant hand (underhand grip) and the other hand as the support hand (overhand grip).

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »

If you've got a two handed grip and you're spinning your saber, you're gonna have a bad time 😆

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »

The Lost Gray is a beefy saber and it will be a challenge...NOT impossible to spin with.  For the most part all of the knobs are out of the way and it can be done, it will just take a lot of time and practice.  The only issue I can forsee is from the individual saber owner.  The size of your hands will play a big role in your ability to spin this saber.   Everything else can be worked out with patience and practice.  Its a beautiful saber and is quite comfortable to use. 

MTFBWY
KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:09 AM »

It would DEFINITELY be easier with a Lost Grey, than, say the Fulcrum

Qui Gon with the Jin
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:21 AM »

Once again thank you guys so much for your input.

Points all around for the useful help.

It would DEFINITELY be easier with a Lost Grey, than, say the Fulcrum

That beast of a saber, I can only imagine a giant using that effectively.

If you've got a two handed grip and you're spinning your saber, you're gonna have a bad time 😆

I lol'd at the mental imagery of that. Though, I could imagine an invertebrate doing so.

It's a beautiful saber, and I like it for a dueling saber, but if spinning is your goal I'd get something thinner.

I think that can be resolved with buying a 2nd saber...Now I just need to craft a convincing argument to present to the wife. May be easier getting something passed through the galactic senate.

But first thing's first, I need 1.

Oh, while I may have some of your attention I might as well ask this: Any thoughts on using a glove to practice? And if so, should I be looking for any specific kind of glove for tactile grip?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: