Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Lord of the Rings TV Show ...  (Read 9693 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: November 15, 2017, 04:41:52 PM »

Amazon and the Tolkien Foundation made a deal and we will have a TV show in the world of Tolkien. Only LOTR is, for now, part of the deal so, for the moment, we do not will have Silmarillion stories of things like that.

However, i am exited like a teenager Wink

More news here :

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/official-lord-rings-tv-series-gets-multiple-season-commitment-at-amazon-1057486

And you, are you exited?? Tongue

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »

I haven't read much about it yet, but I am hoping it is good. I am excited, but I am also scared. The movies were good (even if they didn't perfectly follow the books), and I am afraid that this show will ruin the name of LOTR. However, I will give it a chance to prove itself before I say I don't like it. And I wouldn't be much of a Tolkien fan if I didn't say I was at least curious. Wink

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »

I haven't read much about it yet, but I am hoping it is good. I am excited, but I am also scared. The movies were good (even if they didn't perfectly follow the books), and I am afraid that this show will ruin the name of LOTR. However, I will give it a chance to prove itself before I say I don't like it. And I wouldn't be much of a Tolkien fan if I didn't say I was at least curious. Wink

Exactly this.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »

Exactly .... I am scared and exited (like for every SW movie  Grin ) ... But Amazon has money and they already produced some serious and great TV show (like American Gods ...) ... so i give them a chance Wink

I have strange feelings about the LOTR movies by Jackson ... I love them even if i am really disappointed by some director's choices ...

In the other hand, for me, the 3 Hobbit movies are ridiculous ... and i understand why the Tolkien foundation refuse to sell the Silmarillion to Jackson ...

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12:21 PM »

what has piqued my interest is the driving home the point they are working with the Tolkien Estate.  Christopher is so protective of his father's work I imagine the contract is very precise in terms of creative control.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »

what has piqued my interest is the driving home the point they are working with the Tolkien Estate.  Christopher is so protective of his father's work I imagine the contract is very precise in terms of creative control.

I have exactly the same feeling

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:55 AM »

I’m a lot more scared for LOTR than SW. As for The Hobbit films, I love them as much as the LotR films. The trick is to either have not read the book in a long time, or choose to  watch them as if they weren’t based on a book.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:22:29 AM »

That is the exact reason why I am willing to give it a chance. If the Tolkien Estate is willing to work closely, maybe we will get an (almost) exact copy of the book, only in movie (or tv) form.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »

I’m a lot more scared for LOTR than SW. As for The Hobbit films, I love them as much as the LotR films. The trick is to either have not read the book in a long time, or choose to  watch them as if they weren’t based on a book.

Hobbit films are ridiculous for me not because i think they are bad, ... but as the book is small, making 3 movies of almost 3 hours needs the adding of a lot of ridiculous scenes ... In the LOTR books appendix, there are a lot of great story that could have been used for these added scenes ...

But once again, only my opinion Wink

For the LOTR movie, I love the movies but there are several things that disappoint me: The worst one is the treatment of Theoden who is definitively nobler in the books ...

So, as the Tolkien Estate seems to be associated to the project, i am very exited because maybe, the stories in the book appendix will be used Wink

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »

what it comes down to is what is more important, the film on its own or its quality as an adaptation.  It really depends on how close you are to the source material.  LOTR holds a very special place for me so I want to see it done Justice in terms of staying as true as possible to Tolkien's words.  I foresee these being smaller quality but perhaps better content, for those of us who want a closer adaption.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:18:36 PM »

what it comes down to is what is more important, the film on its own or its quality as an adaptation.  It really depends on how close you are to the source material.  LOTR holds a very special place for me so I want to see it done Justice in terms of staying as true as possible to Tolkien's words.  I foresee these being smaller quality but perhaps better content, for those of us who want a closer adaption.

Exactly the same feeling Wink

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »

Hobbit films are ridiculous for me not because i think they are bad, ... but as the book is small, making 3 movies of almost 3 hours needs the adding of a lot of ridiculous scenes ... In the LOTR books appendix, there are a lot of great story that could have been used for these added scenes ...

But once again, only my opinion Wink

For the LOTR movie, I love the movies but there are several things that disappoint me: The worst one is the treatment of Theoden who is definitively nobler in the books ...

So, as the Tolkien Estate seems to be associated to the project, i am very exited because maybe, the stories in the book appendix will be used Wink

Yes, it was a greedy move to make The Hobbit into 3 movies. But that means 2 extra films to enjoy, so I’m happy.

We can hope.

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 08:21:50 PM »

Yes, it was a greedy move to make The Hobbit into 3 movies. But that means 2 extra films to enjoy, so I’m happy.

We can hope.

More than hope ... it will be wonderful ... i am sure of it Wink

Kham-Ryn Kurios
Sentinel Prime; Knight of the HoloNet Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1723

I am Mr. Yellow.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »

Christopher Tolkien resigns as Tolkien Estate director

https://www.tolkiensociety.org/2017/11/christopher-tolkien-resigns-as-tolkien-estate-director/

/LIGHT SIDE POINTS PLEASE\
‎Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »

An update notes that he remains  the literary executor, so from my understanding he still will have final say.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: