Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: I wanted a strong, secure easy use belt to saber attchment  (Read 4429 times)
Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

She/Her/hers

« on: November 15, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

Hi there, new-ish member, and first real post. Hopefully this hasn't been done already?

SO I'm not a fan of covertec wheels. I LOVE that they are included with my US, but it's just not for me. (Cosplayer, and getting into combat more and more). I wanted (and needed) something strong, so plastics were out, one hand release, and a ball joint (so it has more freedom of movement).

I happen to also be a photographer hobbiest. The spider holster system looked promising. I bought an offbrand version, and modded my US, and a couple hard ware parts...

(posting link to fb video as I can't figure out how to imbed a video here)
https://www.facebook.com/Cassidy.Roswood/videos/10155381248402950/

Anyway, lemme know your thoughts. It survived Youmacon all weekend, and so I'm fairly pleased with it.

-Cassie

How can I trust the Council when they wouldn't trust me?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »

Hi there, new-ish member, and first real post. Hopefully this hasn't been done already?

SO I'm not a fan of covertec wheels. I LOVE that they are included with my US, but it's just not for me. (Cosplayer, and getting into combat more and more). I wanted (and needed) something strong, so plastics were out, one hand release, and a ball joint (so it has more freedom of movement).

I happen to also be a photographer hobbiest. The spider holster system looked promising. I bought an offbrand version, and modded my US, and a couple hard ware parts...

(posting link to fb video as I can't figure out how to imbed a video here)
https://www.facebook.com/Cassidy.Roswood/videos/10155381248402950/

Anyway, lemme know your thoughts. It survived Youmacon all weekend, and so I'm fairly pleased with it.

-Cassie
Haven't had the opportunity to try one, but....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/254595718/saberlok-20

These are supposed to work with Covertec wheels.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

projectno253
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -88

There is no Peace...only Victory

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »

D-rings are the way to go. Classic and reliable.

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:21:43 PM »

Haven't had the opportunity to try one, but....

https://www.etsy.com/listing/254595718/saberlok-20

These are supposed to work with Covertec wheels.

I saw that one! I just didn't trust the plastic. It looks to be Kydex or similar, which as it's soft. Good stuff for some things, but I don't trust a $300 saber to plastic, especially as I'm clumsy Tongue

I did see an aluminum one made in a different country that looked promising, but cost was too high. The clip I used was $25 on amazon if memory serves.

Edit: D rings are great, have them for a lot of stuff. But trying to match Ahsoka as much as I can/still be durable.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »

On a totally different note, I noticed your name Ms. Quinn. Are we to become natural enemies?  Tongue

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

I saw that one! I just didn't trust the plastic. It looks to be Kydex or similar, which as it's soft. Good stuff for some things, but I don't trust a $300 saber to plastic, especially as I'm clumsy Tongue

I did see an aluminum one made in a different country that looked promising, but cost was too high. The clip I used was $25 on amazon if memory serves.
I wouldn't think that the plastic would be any softer than that used in Covertec clips. Plus the downside to a metal clip is that it will scratch your saber. Plastic will not.

Food for thought

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »

I wouldn't think that the plastic would be any softer than that used in Covertec clips. Plus the downside to a metal clip is that it will scratch your saber. Plastic will not.

Food for thought

I'd assume the plastic is similar? It's a low heat thermoplastic is looks like, I use same kinda stuff for holsters and such. I just wouldn't trust it when it's so much weight on such a small area. I see it getting ripped out if I fall hard.
And scratching yeah. That was a concern, thus the steel plate (has 3 holes in it on the video) where it hits the attachement point/swings. It cant hit the pommel because of the plate and angle of the clip (though the steel plate gets dinged as well as the clip system part. But that can get beat, no biggie there.). Smiley I can get a better couple pics later showing how it restricts some but still allows movement. It spent about 6 hours on that belt, walking, running around the con. No hilt dings/scratches (though on that note, I want to weather the hilt a little).

Batmike: Lol, well... it is my legal middle name. So might be Light, dark, or gray?

-Cassie

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »

I'd assume the plastic is similar? It's a low heat thermoplastic is looks like, I use same kinda stuff for holsters and such. I just wouldn't trust it when it's so much weight on such a small area. I see it getting ripped out if I fall hard.
And scratching yeah. That was a concern, thus the steel plate (has 3 holes in it on the video) where it hits the attachement point/swings. It cant hit the pommel because of the plate and angle of the clip (though the steel plate gets dinged as well as the clip system part. But that can get beat, no biggie there.). Smiley I can get a better couple pics later showing how it restricts some but still allows movement. It spent about 6 hours on that belt, walking, running around the con. No hilt dings/scratches (though on that note, I want to weather the hilt a little).

Batmike: Lol, well... it is my legal middle name. So might be Light, dark, or gray?

-Cassie
If I'm not mistaken, the Covertec is a polymer composite, which is exceptionally durable. There was a whispered idea a while back that US was going to experiment with composite sabers. Lighter and just as tough if not tougher than the aluminum.

The owner of Shapeways is a forum member. You can ask how durable their belt clips are.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HN9T3PR2X/covertec-clip-style-1?li=gmerchant&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiA6K_QBRA8EiwASvtjZc2b_GAfa9j_kg3NdW13Vv21RNfxVVvEUelc1AwF_Vqr_gdk8gUQTBoCRpgQAvD_BwE

Sig by For Tyeth

borgishmorg
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -27

Conjurer of Dark Magik

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »

I really like this system you came up with, any chance you could make a detailed tutorial?

Aeon LE V3 in CG
Standard Issue V3 in BR
Shock with v3 Sound in GB
Dark Menace with v4 Sound in PO
Consular with v4 Sound in Tri-CG

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the Covertec is a polymer composite, which is exceptionally durable. There was a whispered idea a while back that US was going to experiment with composite sabers. Lighter and just as tough if not tougher than the aluminum.

The owner of Shapeways is a forum member. You can ask how durable their belt clips are.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HN9T3PR2X/covertec-clip-style-1?li=gmerchant&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiA6K_QBRA8EiwASvtjZc2b_GAfa9j_kg3NdW13Vv21RNfxVVvEUelc1AwF_Vqr_gdk8gUQTBoCRpgQAvD_BwE
that's damn nice looking. I may have forgone doing mine for less work involved. That I'd trust. I still wish it had more movement that one dimensionaly, especially as Ahsoka's sabers are right in front of her legs.

Borgishmorg: When I end up doing her smaller saber i can certainly do a tutorial. It's incredibly easy (if time consuming). If you have a drill press, taps (I used 1/4-20). It takes more time shaping the stainless into a ball than the rest of it (I don't have a lathe).

-Cassie

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »

that's damn nice looking. I may have forgone doing mine for less work involved. That I'd trust. I still wish it had more movement that one dimensionaly, especially as Ahsoka's sabers are right in front of her legs.
Not sure what you mean by "more movement."

Sig by For Tyeth

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "more movement."

The covertec wheels, being a single rotational point, can only rotate on a single plane.

While this one has some restrictions to keep it from damaging itself, the ball joint can move on multiple planes. Forward, back, and rotational like the covertec, and most things in-between (which can be adjusted by changing how far the screw sticks out, I have mine fairly close).

-Cassie

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »

The covertec wheels, being a single rotational point, can only rotate on a single plane.

While this one has some restrictions to keep it from damaging itself, the ball joint can move on multiple planes. Forward, back, and rotational like the covertec, and most things in-between (which can be adjusted by changing how far the screw sticks out, I have mine fairly close).

-Cassie
I got you. You want something that moves with your thighs as you walk? I clip the halves of my staff as I enter cons (less to draw attention on the streets). When located more to the front, the Covertecs allow my sabers to move toward my inseam as I walk. Sitting can be tricky though.

Sig by For Tyeth

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »

I got you. You want something that moves with your thighs as you walk? I clip the halves of my staff as I enter cons (less to draw attention on the streets). When located more to the front, the Covertecs allow my sabers to move toward my inseam as I walk. Sitting can be tricky though.

Yep, walk, run, fall, roll, etc. And her locations suck. Crossdraw? wtf Ahsoka. Puts sabers right in the front, with the tabbard. When I did a belt for a good friend who did Kenobi, that was easy as pie. Hip, done. But nope, Ahsoka has to be different. >.<
I gotta ask, you're a guy, doesn't inseam hurt? like... uh. Stuff?

-Cassie

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »

Yep, walk, run, fall, roll, etc. And her locations suck. Crossdraw? wtf Ahsoka. Puts sabers right in the front, with the tabbard. When I did a belt for a good friend who did Kenobi, that was easy as pie. Hip, done. But nope, Ahsoka has to be different. >.<
I gotta ask, you're a guy, doesn't inseam hurt? like... uh. Stuff?

-Cassie
Like much of what sucks in SW, practicality is generally sacrificed because....<ahem>......"It looks cool."

Kriff. I can't find an image of her with her sabers clipped. But you're a cosplayer. I thought the overall goal was to achieve image accuracy, not reenactment.

And no. I have a pair of Sentinels, so the emitters are simple. They just slide along my pant leg as I raise my thigh, and then effectively rest on my leg at the height of the step. They never actually touch the inseam. I just used that to indicate the general direction in which they rotated on the clip. My clips are spaced about 10-12" apart on my belt.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: