Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: I wanted a strong, secure easy use belt to saber attchment  (Read 4422 times)
Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 16

She/Her/hers

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:55:59 PM »

Like much of what sucks in SW, practicality is generally sacrificed because....<ahem>......"It looks cool."

Kriff. I can't find an image of her with her sabers clipped. But you're a cosplayer. I thought the overall goal was to achieve image accuracy, not reenactment.

And no. I have a pair of Sentinels, so the emitters are simple. They just slide along my pant leg as I raise my thigh, and then effectively rest on my leg at the height of the step. They never actually touch the inseam. I just used that to indicate the general direction in which they rotated on the clip. My clips are spaced about 10-12" apart on my belt.

I'm one of those weird cosplayers that also likes reenactment... There's a theatrical combat group near me I'm hoping to join.
It's a mix in my eyes. *shrug*

if you find a pic of her, I'd love to see!

So you can see how far they are: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155344624417950&set=a.10150268832272950.336654.582932949&type=3 (still figuring this forum out)

-Cassie

How can I trust the Council when they wouldn't trust me?

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 09:05:52 PM »

I'm one of those weird cosplayers that also likes reenactment... There's a theatrical combat group near me I'm hoping to join.
It's a mix in my eyes. *shrug*

if you find a pic of her, I'd love to see!

So you can see how far they are: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155344624417950&set=a.10150268832272950.336654.582932949&type=3 (still figuring this forum out)

-Cassie

Well........if you are reenacting combat.....then your sabers are unclipped and blades in. So what's the problem?

I found a couple of cosplays of the later seasons TCW version, and they depict her sabers clipped to the sides.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:34:06 PM »

Well........if you are reenacting combat.....then your sabers are unclipped and blades in. So what's the problem?

I found a couple of cosplays of the later seasons TCW version, and they depict her sabers clipped to the sides.

Lol fair. Tongue Sucker for placement? And reenactment isn't always sabers out. But I suppose it solved a problem that wasn't as big as i thought it was?

Could maybe be the tinkerer in me? When I looked at covertec wheel options for mounts, I wasn't a fan of the options available/trust them, enough. And this wasn't a super difficult mod.

that's so weird, every ref image I worked from had them cross draw, and very forward mounted.

-Cassie

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:39:04 PM »

Lol fair. Tongue Sucker for placement? And reenactment isn't always sabers out. But I suppose it solved a problem that wasn't as big as i thought it was?
I try.

Could maybe be the tinkerer in me? When I looked at covertec wheel options for mounts, I wasn't a fan of the options available/trust them, enough. And this wasn't a super difficult mod.
You would be in welcome company here. Not me of course, but there are plenty of others. I'm more of the innovative type than an actual fabricator. I'll happily pay for someone else to do the work.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »

I try.
You would be in welcome company here. Not me of course, but there are plenty of others. I'm more of the innovative type than an actual fabricator. I'll happily pay for someone else to do the work.

Super limited budget, medical junk and adult responsibilities and such Sad I have a local machinist, but rarely get to use him.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

Super limited budget, medical junk and adult responsibilities and such Sad I have a local machinist, but rarely get to use him.
It's something I have to save up for, usually. Like my staff Project:BOOYA! was painted by Drahcir and then had doctored switches by Lord Canterbury.

Sig by For Tyeth

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »

It's something I have to save up for, usually. Like my staff Project:BOOYA! was painted by Drahcir and then had doctored switches by Lord Canterbury.

Lol, yep yep. Last time was a 3 month splurge the wife eventually ok'd. This one. Well, either lost gray and wait, or random box and soon...

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »

Lol, yep yep. Last time was a 3 month splurge the wife eventually ok'd. This one. Well, either lost gray and wait, or random box and soon...
Meh. I will concede that it is far easier to save when you're on your own, but.....that just means you need to drag her into this madness. Then you can save together toward a mutual desire. Grin

Sig by For Tyeth

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »

Meh. I will concede that it is far easier to save when you're on your own, but.....that just means you need to drag her into this madness. Then you can save together toward a mutual desire. Grin

Lol actually she's getting into ventress.... We had her sabers 3d printed. So....

I mean. Who doesn't love an Ahsoka/Ventress weird lesbian vibe? Tongue

GregG124
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 436

There is only The Force.

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 04:28:05 AM »

I saw that one! I just didn't trust the plastic. It looks to be Kydex or similar, which as it's soft. Good stuff for some things, but I don't trust a $300 saber to plastic, especially as I'm clumsy Tongue

I did see an aluminum one made in a different country that looked promising, but cost was too high. The clip I used was $25 on amazon if memory serves.

Edit: D rings are great, have them for a lot of stuff. But trying to match Ahsoka as much as I can/still be durable.

The saberlok is made from ABS, strong and light!

Sabers I Own:
Dominix LE V4 (Obsidian V3) - Consular Green
Arbiter (Obsidian Lite) - Consular Green
Liberator V3 (Stunt) - Guardian Blue

Light Side Points Appreciated

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 02:32:26 PM »

The saberlok is made from ABS, strong and light!

True, but still only rotates on 1 axis, and having worked with ABS, I don't trust it for the application here. ABS is a soft flexible plastic. Especially as the thickness would need to be about 1/8 for the wheel to fit. Plus no latch system on that particular model.

So with all the factors. Light, latch, single handed operation, durable, multiple axis rotation. The covertec wheel didn't work (mainly the last point). Light is relative, as the clip itself is sintered, it really doesn't weigh much (to me) and  while Ahsoka's design is a bit silly, her belt design actually carries well very well and evenly distributed.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 02:42:42 PM »

True, but still only rotates on 1 axis, and having worked with ABS, I don't trust it for the application here. ABS is a soft flexible plastic. Especially as the thickness would need to be about 1/8 for the wheel to fit. Plus no latch system on that particular model.

So with all the factors. Light, latch, single handed operation, durable, multiple axis rotation. The covertec wheel didn't work (mainly the last point). Light is relative, as the clip itself is sintered, it really doesn't weigh much (to me) and  while Ahsoka's design is a bit silly, her belt design actually carries well very well and evenly distributed.
Are we talking about the same ABS? ABS is what they make LEGOs out of. Even thin walls don't flex very much. From my experience ABS is incredibly rigid and damn near impossible to break.

Sig by For Tyeth

Ms Quinn
Knight Apprentice

She/Her/hers

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 04:22:38 PM »

Are we talking about the same ABS? ABS is what they make LEGOs out of. Even thin walls don't flex very much. From my experience ABS is incredibly rigid and damn near impossible to break.

I'm saying as a rule of thumb, ABS plastics exhibit more flexibility than aluminum (as they are vastly different). There are also types of ABS plastics, the type shown looks like a lower tempt thermo plastic. As in, designed to have some flexibility built in. Look up riot grade armor. The thermo plastic used there is ABS, and works because it flexes vs being rigid (which tends to shatter/crack with).

ABS didn't fit my needs or wants. And as they don't have a ball joint style for sabers made in ABS, or even a fiber impregnated plastic, my materials were limited. especially as I didn't wanna pay my machinist friend to design and make it from scratch.
 https://www.makeitfrom.com/compare/Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene-ABS/Sintered-6061-Axx-6061-Aluminum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: