Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Steampunk Anyone?  (Read 4509 times)
KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 609

Light Side Points

« on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

Got some pieces for my Steampunk Plague Doctor Costume.  I will be embellishing things a lot more and would like some ideas please.  Took a couple of pics for y'all to see, a color photo with the hat and mask on and a Black and white of myself with the cloak, hat and mask on (plus my Archon V3 of course). 

I have kinda fallen into the Steampunk world and love the whole victorian era lifestyle, clockwork mechanisms, and steam engines.  Here are several pictures of my original Steampunk persona, Professor Ebony Gaskill: Cartographer, Explorer, and Tinkerer.  All of my gear is either handmade or completely repurposed.  I have met so many really great people in the Steampunk world and find that many of them have made me feel as comfortable as you all have here in the Forum.  If there are any others here who are part of the steam world let me know and we can talk shop.  The Steampunk world has even turned me into a true tinkerer.  I repurpose items into lamps.  (I'm not selling anything here, just sharing my new passion.)   

I plan on merging my love of Sabers with my love of Steampunk and will probably turn my Plague Doctor into a Sith Assassin.  He really will be Doctor and and Alchemist and will have all sorts of pockets, pouches and syringes for his poisons.  Once again, please feel free to share what you think and offer me lots of constructive criticism.

MTFBWY
KDP

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Want: Bellicose, Prophecy V3

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2768

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:17:33 PM »

Tell me the "fan" works.

I've wanted to create a SP cosplay, but I can't find a craftsman to evaluate my designs, and give me a quote.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »

Tell me the "fan" works.

I've wanted to create a SP cosplay, but I can't find a craftsman to evaluate my designs, and give me a quote.

If works, you mean spins when lit up then no, but it does light up as a regular lamp would.  Have had to remove a lot of the internals to modify them for wiring up the lamp.  Cant figure out how to merge the motor and the socket housing into one piece without the cord spinning until it breaks.

If you want assistance with ideas then by all means ask, I'm in no way an expert, but if been to several Steampunk conventions and met some great designers.  If you want to pm me I can get you some info for FB groups.

Own: Lost Gray, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Fulcrum, Obsidian V4, Tri-C AS; Nickel-plated Guardian, (Emerald), Obsidian V3; Arbiter, Obsidian V3, GB; Archon V3 Tri-C FO Obsidian V4; Manticore, Obsidian V3, VA; Phantasm V4, BH; Dark Sentinel, BR; Dominix V2, RGB; Dark Initiate V2 x3 (BR, CG, GB); Initiate LE V2 x2, CG.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »

Love the top hat and the plague mask. I want the SLR camera lamp

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:23 AM »

All this stuff is totally awesome.  Darth Cephalus is our long time resident Steam Punk authority.  I never knew much about this genre until then.  Have nothing to contribute but will really enjoy jumping on for the ride.  Great photos.  Cool

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:31 AM »

Love the top hat and the plague mask. I want the SLR camera lamp

This was my first project and I actually sold it.  I have to pay for my hobbies somehow  Roll Eyes

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 12:29:08 AM »

All this stuff is totally awesome.  Darth Cephalus is our long time resident Steam Punk authority.  I never knew much about this genre until then.  Have nothing to contribute but will really enjoy jumping on for the ride.  Great photos.  Cool

Thanks D7. I have had so much fun doing this.  I hope D Cephalus comes in and shares.  I like hearing other peoples stories

Landen Se-Sentien
Shadow Sentinel of the Manticore Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1828

I work in the Darkness in service of the Light

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 02:12:54 AM »

I'm liking it, KDP. +1

I thought I'd put THIS here for you, just for some inspirational ideas.

Signature banner by DarthScrub

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »

I'm liking it, KDP. +1

I thought I'd put THIS here for you, just for some inspirational ideas.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.  Ive been trying to figure out how to do something like this with one of my sabers and my ideas seem just not quite right.  I know that Steampunk Joe loved this when he got it.  Its spectacularly done and WOW!

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:20 PM »

If works, you mean spins when lit up then no, but it does light up as a regular lamp would.  Have had to remove a lot of the internals to modify them for wiring up the lamp.  Cant figure out how to merge the motor and the socket housing into one piece without the cord spinning until it breaks.

If you want assistance with ideas then by all means ask, I'm in no way an expert, but if been to several Steampunk conventions and met some great designers.  If you want to pm me I can get you some info for FB groups.
I would think you'd need a "brush" style power transfer similar to what is used in bumper cars. This way you could run power to the lights through the rotating shaft without the motion being an issue. This is only theoretical as my electrical know-how is very limited.

Well, the biggest issue now is overwhelming lack of funds coupled with ADHD infused indecision about what cosplay to focus funds on; Darth Logos, or RVB, or SP, or any number of mashup variants. I'm too diversified. Cry

I didn't even know "Steam Punk" was a thing until I saw an episode of Castle, but I've always had a fascination with the genre.

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:41:44 PM »

Stempunk is one of my favorite fiction style ... always loved that in the Anime by Miasaki for example Wink

I love Steampunk fashion too ...

I help friends that cosplay for real life role playing (or LARP now that i know how to tell) but i do not cosplay myself.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:59:35 PM »

I'm with Seb and D7, not knowledgeable about the culture but find it ever so fascinating and extremely cool.

The individual creative wheel behind each character and accessories seems top notch to me ... I'm jealous but more happy for you and really enjoy the pieces you've made and shared.

All the points and, look fwd to hearing about and seeing anymore trinkets and culture immersion you'd like to share.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »

Stempunk is one of my favorite fiction style ... always loved that in the Anime by Miasaki for example Wink
Did you ever see the OVA Steamboy?

Sig by For Tyeth

KraytDragonPearl
Knight Commander

Light Side Points

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:37:20 PM »

I would think you'd need a "brush" style power transfer similar to what is used in bumper cars. This way you could run power to the lights through the rotating shaft without the motion being an issue. This is only theoretical as my electrical know-how is very limited.

Well, the biggest issue now is overwhelming lack of funds coupled with ADHD infused indecision about what cosplay to focus funds on; Darth Logos, or RVB, or SP, or any number of mashup variants. I'm too diversified. Cry

I didn't even know "Steam Punk" was a thing until I saw an episode of Castle, but I've always had a fascination with the genre.

I will have to look into this.  I understand the theory behind what your saying, i just don't know how to implement it. 

I love Steampunk fashion too ...

I help friends that cosplay for real life role playing (or LARP now that i know how to tell) but i do not cosplay myself.

I am learning that the whole steampunk fashion is so personal in nature.  My ideas of steampunk may not mesh with another person's, but it doesn't have to, because its not set in stone.  I found a local leather crafter who initially made my hat, then I had him steam up a leather satchel i had, and now just recently he sold me two of his prototype pieces for the Plague doctor.  (These two pieces he sold me at a fraction of what he could have sold it after he completed them)  He is great at his craft and he has been encouraging me to keep making my lamps and even offered to put them in his storefront for me.  The Ironic thing about him is that he isn't even in the Steampunk world. I met him at a medieval market at his stall, we just keep getting to be better friends the more I see him. 

I'm with Seb and D7, not knowledgeable about the culture but find it ever so fascinating and extremely cool.

The individual creative wheel behind each character and accessories seems top notch to me ... I'm jealous but more happy for you and really enjoy the pieces you've made and shared.

All the points and, look fwd to hearing about and seeing anymore trinkets and culture immersion you'd like to share.

I didn't know much about this culture until just this year and Ive fallen in love with it.  The people are great and quite supportive and remind me of a lot of the members here.  They share information and ideas and don't have any concern about being selfish.  I think the biggest thing Ive learned from them is that ideas are free and if you can improve on someone's ideas and then share it with others, its kinda awesome. 

Did you ever see the OVA Steamboy?

I know what it is, but I actually haven't seen it yet. 

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »

I know what it is, but I actually haven't seen it yet. 
I thought it was excellent. The dubbed version features the voice talents of Anna Paquin, Patrick Stewart, and Alfred Molina.

Sig by For Tyeth

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: