Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Guardian for the blind.  (Read 1850 times)
BlindJedi
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2374

I don't need vision to defeat you.

« on: November 19, 2017, 05:41:40 AM »

Can anyone describe the Guardian to me?
Please if at all possible, compare it to the OBK saber released by Hasbro in the late 90s.  I had one of those, and it was one of my favorite sabers.
If this saber looks like I think it does, then it is going on my short list of sabers to purchase.
You guys have no idea how much I appreciate the descriptions you have given me thus far.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:18:37 PM »

i have a video on the forum "My Guardian Review" under the  name Malik Thanewulf. check it out. i've seen the Hasbro version. in plain speak: it is a toy. it was made for children. it is a play thing. the GUARDIAN looks and feels like the weapon OBK used in the movie. it has a nice heft to it, it's got some weight. it's absolutely beautiful to look and  i could not be any happier owning one. if you want a lightsaber that feels like a REAL WEAPON, this is it. i tell you honestly, you WILL NOT REGRET buying this saber.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

BlindJedi
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 03:48:08 AM »

I know the Hasbro version of the OBK saber is a toy, but I had one of them as a kid and it is a good reference point, so someone could describe it to me, the "Blind" Jedi.  Yes, my vision is terrible, thus why I am looking for descriptions of the sabers.  So, no offense, but a video does me little good.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »

I am so sorry. I meant no offense. When i said it was a toy, i meant that the construction of the Ultrasabers version was superior. Real metal and great attention to detail. I didn't know you were visually impaired. Please excuse my ignorance. I hope you enjoy your saber. I love my Guardian and if you get one,  I'm sure you will too.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »

I don't have the Hasbro version any more, but had a few once upon a time (Hasbro released the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan hilts with multiple colour options; I think I had an Obi-Wan with a purple blade). I'm assuming, incidentally, you mean the one released around the time of TPM with a fully retractable blade and no sound.

Anyway, the Guardian is a very good match in overall appearance to the film prop and, by extension the Hasbro toy. I suspect it's longer than the original prop (to accommodate the various internal electronics) and no doubt heavier as well. It's one of the heaviest US hilts, other than the crossguard Flamberge, that I've handled. From memory, I believe the Hasbro toy had a wider diameter as it had to hold the retracted blade, but I'm having to recall a toy I haven't handled in maybe 15 years, so I may be slightly off on that! If you had the Hasbro version with light, sound and a blade that retracted only part way, I think that one had a pretty similar diameter to the Guardian - but, again, it's been many years and I may be off on the details.

In terms of the appearance of the hilt, it's one of the most intricate that US make with an outer silvery or nickel sleeve that's cut out to reveal the black 'core'. I'll do my best to describe it, based on holding it with the activation switch on the front pointing towards you. Please bear in mind that, other than taking the hilt length from the product page on the website, all measurements given are approximate as I don't have mine to hand.

The hilt is 13 inches long, a significant part of which is the rounded pommel at the base. Like Obi-Wan's hilt, this is black with square silver studs projecting at regular intervals around the equator. The lower part of the pommel is hemispherical with a slightly flattened base where the speaker holes are. The upper part is like the waist in an hourglass, narrowing slightly and then flaring again to meet the base of the main part of the hilt.

The first couple of inches, moving from the base upwards, are covered by the silvery sleeve, the back of which has the covertec wheel attached. This is then cut away revealing about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way around the black inner core of the hilt for about 6 inches. Set into this black section are silver recesses going around the full circumference of the black section. These are each about a half inch across, and there are 7 of them, each separated by about half an inch of the black. Above the last of the silver recesses is a further 1-1.5 inches of black before the silver sleeve closes in again, allowing a recess for the activation switch, which may be a black guarded switch or some type of flush AV switch.

Immediately above the activation switch the sleeve flares outwards slightly to form a raised collar of about half an inch across before returning to its usual diameter for an inch or so and then flaring again. This raised section, about 2.5-3 inches long, is where the emitter is located, and is very intricate. There are three cutaway sections around the lip of the emitter, each of which at its deepest is about half the length of this raised section. Each cutout is pentagonal in shape with the flat base at the top of the emitter, parallel sides extending downwards and then the last two sides anging towards each other (forgive me, I can't recall if you've ever had sight, but if you can imagine a child's picture of a house flipped on its roof, that may help) with a rounded tip like something heavy is pulling down on the point where the two lines meet. The cutouts each reveals the black core again, which at this point is ribbed five or six times. In between each cutout is a round screw, the centre of which is hollow and which lets the light and colour of the blade shine through.

There are two projecting ornamental buttons on this raised section. They are in line with each other, below the tips of the cutout sections, about equidistant from the tips to the bottom edge of the raised section. They are set 60 degrees to the left and right of the activation button. To the left is a red button with a flat top surface and knurled edge. To the right is a smaller gold button, with knurled edges and which is hollowed out with a small red gem set into it.

Hope that helps!

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

BlindJedi
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 03:58:28 AM »

I am so sorry. I meant no offense. When i said it was a toy, i meant that the construction of the Ultrasabers version was superior. Real metal and great attention to detail. I didn't know you were visually impaired. Please excuse my ignorance. I hope you enjoy your saber. I love my Guardian and if you get one,  I'm sure you will too.
No apology necessary, I totally understand.  I loved the Hasbro version as a kid, the one with the light up blade and crappy sound effects.  Ok, kid may be the wrong word, nerdy teen may work better. LOL
I don't have the Hasbro version any more, but had a few once upon a time (Hasbro released the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan hilts with multiple colour options; I think I had an Obi-Wan with a purple blade). I'm assuming, incidentally, you mean the one released around the time of TPM with a fully retractable blade and no sound.

Anyway, the Guardian is a very good match in overall appearance to the film prop and, by extension the Hasbro toy. I suspect it's longer than the original prop (to accommodate the various internal electronics) and no doubt heavier as well. It's one of the heaviest US hilts, other than the crossguard Flamberge, that I've handled. From memory, I believe the Hasbro toy had a wider diameter as it had to hold the retracted blade, but I'm having to recall a toy I haven't handled in maybe 15 years, so I may be slightly off on that! If you had the Hasbro version with light, sound and a blade that retracted only part way, I think that one had a pretty similar diameter to the Guardian - but, again, it's been many years and I may be off on the details.

In terms of the appearance of the hilt, it's one of the most intricate that US make with an outer silvery or nickel sleeve that's cut out to reveal the black 'core'. I'll do my best to describe it, based on holding it with the activation switch on the front pointing towards you. Please bear in mind that, other than taking the hilt length from the product page on the website, all measurements given are approximate as I don't have mine to hand.

The hilt is 13 inches long, a significant part of which is the rounded pommel at the base. Like Obi-Wan's hilt, this is black with square silver studs projecting at regular intervals around the equator. The lower part of the pommel is hemispherical with a slightly flattened base where the speaker holes are. The upper part is like the waist in an hourglass, narrowing slightly and then flaring again to meet the base of the main part of the hilt.

The first couple of inches, moving from the base upwards, are covered by the silvery sleeve, the back of which has the covertec wheel attached. This is then cut away revealing about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way around the black inner core of the hilt for about 6 inches. Set into this black section are silver recesses going around the full circumference of the black section. These are each about a half inch across, and there are 7 of them, each separated by about half an inch of the black. Above the last of the silver recesses is a further 1-1.5 inches of black before the silver sleeve closes in again, allowing a recess for the activation switch, which may be a black guarded switch or some type of flush AV switch.

Immediately above the activation switch the sleeve flares outwards slightly to form a raised collar of about half an inch across before returning to its usual diameter for an inch or so and then flaring again. This raised section, about 2.5-3 inches long, is where the emitter is located, and is very intricate. There are three cutaway sections around the lip of the emitter, each of which at its deepest is about half the length of this raised section. Each cutout is pentagonal in shape with the flat base at the top of the emitter, parallel sides extending downwards and then the last two sides anging towards each other (forgive me, I can't recall if you've ever had sight, but if you can imagine a child's picture of a house flipped on its roof, that may help) with a rounded tip like something heavy is pulling down on the point where the two lines meet. The cutouts each reveals the black core again, which at this point is ribbed five or six times. In between each cutout is a round screw, the centre of which is hollow and which lets the light and colour of the blade shine through.

There are two projecting ornamental buttons on this raised section. They are in line with each other, below the tips of the cutout sections, about equidistant from the tips to the bottom edge of the raised section. They are set 60 degrees to the left and right of the activation button. To the left is a red button with a flat top surface and knurled edge. To the right is a smaller gold button, with knurled edges and which is hollowed out with a small red gem set into it.

Hope that helps!
Amazing description thank you.  This saber has always been on my short list of sabers to purchase.  Your description made it sound exactly like the Hasbro one I remember with the light up blade.  Although that was quite a while ago, so my memory of it may be slightly off.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: