Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Brood Guard Review (pic heavy)  (Read 4030 times)
DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -841

High Sith Kommander

« on: November 19, 2017, 05:33:28 PM »

I've had these for few days and have got some quality time with them. Here are my pics and thoughts:

A little to long for functionality and a little to short for lighting effect.

A 18" tonfa goes to about the end of my elbow

Blade Colors: SY and DVA
Measurements out of the box: 29" total length with standard 16" blade and a 3" blade depth. Total Hilt with pommel - 15 7/8", handle 5.5"

Love the smooth A/V switch on the top of the handle. A+

These are Not for everybody, They are significantly longer than the standard 14" or 18" tonfa I'm used to.

It is Definitely a real weapon being 16" of metal baton with 13" of HG blade protruding out.

It spins and wields fairly well after I got used to the additional length. I may have to cut the 16" blade down the blade to use in my uniform since it kept getting clipped by the armpit. Much better in my Under Armour. I tried one of the 8" side blades of my Renegade, but it just did not look right but spun much easier of course, maybe a 12" will be best. (The 3 bears effect)

I would not recommend hard dueling against MG blades (or any dueling at all for that matter), since the blade comes in contact with the Brood Guard body multiple times and I'm under the impression it will almost certainly crack a MG blade. These are more for show, cosplay, or light dueling/training.

I would've preferred a smooth handle, but that's an easy fix.

IMO..Overall very pleased, a lot of fun, and mad props for the design. I'll give them a 3.5-4/5, with -1[/b] for functionality/dueling and maybe -.5 for minor design flaws.

Can't wait to start Project Brood on these bad boys, there is a lot of room inside there for maybe a crystal chamber, definitely adding some type of weathering and window/damage. Hopefully can get started before Christmas.

Hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions about this hilt style please feel free to ask.

Great Work Ultrasabers, very happy indeed.
DBTD

Lord of a 1000 sabers. Well almost!

Arsenal: Lots (35 Ultra Sabers)
Most Wanted: That one, oh yeah that one too, oh hell all of them.

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »

Do the blades come in contact with your arm?  How about with the rest of your body?

When dueling with this, do you consider it to be made of lightsaber resistant material?

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Thanks for sharing the honest review here

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »

Do the blades come in contact with your arm?  How about with the rest of your body?

When dueling with this, do you consider it to be made of lightsaber resistant material?

The blades don't really touch your arm. Now with the out of the box blade they will clip your body if your not careful or you have a shorter wingspan. I'm going to try and knock 2-4 inches off the blade tonight.

I'm not sure what you mean by lightsaber resistant material. I'm not worried about the hilt of my Brood, (I like a worn saber) it is as solid as the rest of the US family. I'm thinking of repeatedly hitting the body of my hilt with somewhat decent of force from your blade. I've broken a MG blade hitting HG blade and cracked a HG blade (granted I stepped back and hit the corner of the house fairly hard to crack it). When these are in my hand I want to go full bore. So I guess yes they are LS resistant. I still won't duel any of my own blades against these. Duel at your own risk would be my advice. Imo... These take some kind of knowledge of stick/baton arts before you would want to take on a saber.

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »

Congrats on being the first reviewer and look forward to seeing your project unfold. Point.

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »

Fantastic pics!  Great to see and hear your perspective on these and your honest evaluation is definitely an asset in helping others decide if this is for them.  Points to you good sir!

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by lightsaber resistant material. I'm not worried about the hilt of my Brood, (I like a worn saber) it is as solid as the rest of the US family. I'm thinking of repeatedly hitting the body of my hilt with somewhat decent of force from your blade. I've broken a MG blade hitting HG blade and cracked a HG blade (granted I stepped back and hit the corner of the house fairly hard to crack it). When these are in my hand I want to go full bore. So I guess yes they are LS resistant. I still won't duel any of my own blades against these. Duel at your own risk would be my advice. Imo... These take some kind of knowledge of stick/baton arts before you would want to take on a saber.

If we're using sabers as if they were real lightsabers, then the hilt is susceptible to being destroyed by another lightsaber's blade.  (For example, Darth Maul getting his staff cut in half, Anikan getting one of his sabers cut by Count Dooku, the duel between Grevious and Obi-Wan, and I believe Kylo Ren had his cut by Rey).  However, there exists in the lore lightsaber resistant materials.

So I know that the Ultrasabers blades obviously won't cut through a lightsaber, but the hilt is still a valid target if you're treating these as real lightsabers.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 12:42:27 AM »

Very good review DBTD

Point

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 02:10:26 AM »

Thanks All, and although it's not for everyone, I do consider it must add to any US collection just for it's uniqueness and the amount of modification possibilities. No one said it has to stay a baton style forever. I know there are some very crafty people on here who could turn this something way more than a Initiate with a handle, myself included. There is a lot of empty space begging for secondary electronics inside this thing. I'm looking at them right now, writing down things as I type.

GeddaTheHutt
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -195

I am one with the force and the force is with me.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »

Thanks for the review, it has given me some food for thought.

Sabers owned: Bellicose CG, Aeon V4 BR, Azure Fallen AB, Crimson Dorian Diamond,

Saber wishlist: Lost Gray, Scorpion, Brood Guard, Dominix LE V4, Apprentice V4, Spector, Grandmaster, Domicide, Dark Graflex.

{dark side points please}

skribs
Knight Templar

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »

Have you considered using a coupler to put an initiate on the other end?

Aelphinon
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:01:02 AM »

I'm looking at getting a brood guard for my first lightsaber, but I'm curious: in the blade length section there is an option for (16" shoto and 24" shoto+) sizes, in addition to the (16" mini and 24" initiate) sizes. Is there any difference between the options?

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 01:44:22 AM »

This is a good question, they were not an option on the stunts, so I would like to know. I will ask and find out. Just Starting to get some time to finish up the project I started on them. They have really grown on me. And I just dropped in a new order for the Christmas raffle. 

Lord Sidious
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -644

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 03:00:32 AM »

Interesting review. How heavy is it? Or hows does its weight compare with other Ultrasabers?

DarthBoneTD
Knight Commander

High Sith Kommander

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 02:19:52 PM »

I'm looking at getting a brood guard for my first lightsaber, but I'm curious: in the blade length section there is an option for (16" shoto and 24" shoto+) sizes, in addition to the (16" mini and 24" initiate) sizes. Is there any difference between the options?

I emailed in your question and Marlena replied that they are the same blade. Just noted with the word shoto.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: