Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Orphan of the Aether  (Read 8511 times)
Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« on: November 24, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »

This Occurs after Children of the Aether Part 2 - Chapter 1 - Andis and then takes place during and after CotA.
Tried something different in terms of focus with this one…bit of an experiment. Hope you like it, let me know your thoughts!

Chapter 1
[/b]
Orange and yellow danced and twirled into black spirals of smoke as the village burned.  She could feel them inside the building…their terror…black figures stood between her and the inferno…she ran, black lines coursed through the air trying to harm her, she pulled and pushed with the aether, she flicked her hand open to fire blue arcs…yet they came out as red flames…

A few of the figures dropped, but more were behind her…the dark bolts hit her back, she fell to her knees…the fire turned white hot before her eyes as the people within died…she had failed them…another bolt put her on her face in the blackened earth…she looked up at the merciless flames, they surrounded her…encased her…the fire entered her...

That was her dream…a paradise compared to the nightmare she woke to.

The ship clanked and groaned as it moved through the void, each second taking her farther from her home.  She had never known how warmly the aether of her home had embraced her until now when she was apart from it. 

The metal of her cells was stained and rusted, she was dirty and sweaty from the heat.  And she was angry….

Not just at her captors, but herself…

She should’ve fought harder, should’ve killed more…three of the aliens was not enough…she was sixteen, being trained to be a Guardian…she should’ve killed dozens…her confidence in herself left ash by the flames of defeat.

Her aunt Karintha should’ve killed more, her older sister Yorna, who had been made a Guardian in the Gathering the day before the attack should’ve killed more…old Andis should’ve killed more…disappointment burnt her pride in her people to cinders.

Her sister and her Aunt shouldn’t have been killed those….abominations! How could they be defeated….in their home, with the aether flowing through them….the flames of the aether had turned on them when they needed it the most.

Logically she understood…they had faced an enemy with overwhelming fire power, advanced technology…they were a people of farmers, fishers, apothecaries, blacksmiths and artisans…there were only ten Guardians…

There were ten…It dawned on her she might be the last…

If no others had survived…if the flames had taken them all…in the cramped stinking cell she decided…she would take the raging fire of her disappointment in herself, her despair for her people…her hate for those who had done this to them…her anger at what tortures were still to befall them…all this she would keep alight and blazing within her and then she would turn those flames outward, onto these aliens and their families, their entire civilization…they would burn.
************************************************************************************************************************
Her people cried and screamed as they were pushed out of the ships, some of the young men tried to fight back, they killed a few, but the merciless skeleton like machines shot them into submission and took them away. 

She was grouped with thirty three other young women and girls, none older than 30.  She recognised many, Adaea from river bend, Lysaea from double-stone hill, Cilina and Shilea from the mountain village, the new brides of two of the new Guardians. 

The girls huddled together and moved in a closed off body, all of them wrapping their arm about themselves and leaning down to be as small as possible.  Kiraea couldn’t blame them…and by now they understood what was to become of them. 

Kiraea made a point of standing taller amongst them, she had to be their Guardian now, her training complete or not.  Adaea pressed up to her as they waddled along the dark metal tunnel that was stained with black, red and brown fluids the source of which…she didn’t want to think about,

“What do we do?” she whispered, keeping her face down,

Kiraea thought for a moment, feeding the heat within her with her friends despair and worry.

“We’re Aethan’s, we’ll act like it.”
************************************************************************************************************************
Behind the glass of her new cell she saw various aliens come and gawk at them no doubt choosing which they wanted to buy…it stoked the fiery rage within her to stared at like that…she hated them…she would burn them…

One of the aliens a hideous thing all fur and muscle was talking with the green tentacle headed thing.  She focused on the aether, drew out the hate within her, sense the furry things body, its organs…

It was draining…here the aether was so distorted, so ugly and messy…but she held it together…from deep inside him she loosed a river of her molten hatred…she was sweating…a little more…her breathing became laboured…just…there…

She blew out exhausted, and flopped back on the cold floor, she turned her head, the furry thing grasped it midsection, it opened its mouth and jerked as if retching…then her joy was fulfilled, blue aetheric flames jutted out of its mouth as it burnt from within. 

She exuded joy in the aether as other aliens either ran away or came to help the internally burring creature, yet the other women didn’t return her joy…they were closed off…beaten and despairing…she fell onto her back once more…what else could she really expect…these were young women who worked fields, fished, sewed, painted, built houses…not trained to be Guardians like her…

She couldn’t help them this way…at any rate the strangeness of the aether made it impossible to do much…she had to find a way though…

She tried to recall Karinthas lessons…to be angry is easy…but to angry at the right place, at the right time, with the right person…that was hard…she frowned she had been too hasty…

Know your enemy and know yourself and victory is never in doubt she recalled Andis teaching them…she knew nothing of her enemies…she didn’t know where to light the fire to set them ablaze

She needed something…someone to teach her…someone she could manipulate…but most of all she needed the aether as her ally first.  She righted herself and began to open herself to the strangeness of it…to acclimatize…to empower…to ignite.
*************************************************************************************************************************
After she had killed the furry thing they had closed the ‘shop’, but the next day they were back again, a gaggle of aliens…and there one human looking thing in a shimmering red robe…a male by the face…old, portly, sweaty…she sneered that his parents hadn’t had the decency to kill him at birth rather than blight the galaxy with such a foul creature…but then the same could be said of all the aliens…

She looked through the stained glass to the tentacle headed green thing…if these creatures had any intelligence they would realise what abominations they were and engage in mass suicide.

She focused on red robe as she dubbed him, her efforts overnight had made increased her ability to use the aether a reasonable amount…it annoyed her, after the Gathering she was meant to go with Melron into the Dead Lands, there she would’ve gained lots of experience using the aether in places where it flowed differently…she had to learn on her own now…

She touched his mind, it way reasonably easy to understand…she guided his thoughts away from Cilina in a far cell toward her, he began to head toward her.  She could sense what he was after…lecherous slob wanted a pleasure slave…

Karintha had taught her just how powerful an Aethan woman’s body and pheromones could be in controlling people through their desires…every part of your body can be a weapon against your enemies her aunt had said, do not shy away from using it.

She unzipped the front of her suit down to just below her breasts to show off a little flesh.  At only sixteen, and lean like all aethan girls she didn’t have much in the way of cleavage, but she had long dark brown hair, light blue eyes and creamy skin that should do the trick. 

He approached the glass and stared at her, she increased her pressure on his mind and flashed him a coy smile, that’s right you hideous fiend, I’m the one you want. Now for the final piece...keeping her face in a fake smile, and repressing the urge to vomit with a lick of hate filled fire, she crafted an image in her mind of red robe kissing her…ugghh…and sent it into his mind…

Red robes lips trembled, he nervously raised his hand and called tentacle head…he was hers now.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:17:31 AM »

Chapter 2
Red robe was even worse in person…his presence was oily and gross…after being bought she had been given a fresh outfit and led outside, fitted with a new shock collar and handed over.  Red robe and metal…thing…had then lead her into a flying machine…the trip was horrendous, the filthy man kept his hand on her thigh and relentlessly sniffed at her…it just added more fuel to the fire she had planned for him.

He yammered on and on…his language was similar enough for her to understand…just…about how pretty she was, how happy she would be…keep talking filth you’ll soon see what an Aethan does to those who think they can control them.

What he did say that was interesting was that they would go ;’home’ straight away, he gave orders to the metal thing, 8MO he called it…some kind of walking talking machine like from a story, it was bronze and human like…but it was eerie...it had no life in the aether…it unnerved her.

They came to a large building with ships of all kinds coming and going…some kind of port…through the passage ways light by hideous colourful signs, and filled with all kinds of stinking creatures…red robe ushered her along his hand on her rear…keep it there you scum…every second you’re touching me is another ten seconds I’ll keep you alive before I finish you off.

They finally came to a large room with a metal ship, it looked foul, golden with filigree and odd symbols…either he was wealthy or just showing off…he rushed her aboard…she could sense his impatience to use her…good she thought…she could barely contain herself either.

*************************************************************************************************************************
The inside of the ship was spacious and richly decorated…she was glad she couldn’t sense anyone but the two of them on the ship.  Red and gold seemed to be his favourite colour.

“Here,” he pointed to a cream coloured room, “is the refresher, why don’t you clean up while I get us flying…then we can become…more acquainted…” she nodded and smiled.

He had an odd combination of emotions from hat she could read…he wanted her certainly, but he seemed to feel somewhat guilty about it…like he wanted to hide what he was doing…she remembered Karinthas teaching – “only in a person’s most dishonourable acts, those done when they think no one is judging them, are they true to themselves”…he thought it was wrong…but he was doing it anyway…not only was he a sick pervert but he wasn’t even honest about it…the fire blazed ever brighter.

As she worked out how the taps worked to make water flow she felt the ship move, rumble through the atmosphere, then lurch as it entered what she guessed was some kind of super-fast travel. 

She cleaned herself and threw on one of the various robes then propped herself up on the bed in the most seductive pose she could think of. 

When he came in she felt his aura surge immediately…

“Well I…ooh I…” she turned over and crawled toward him on the bed a wide and honest smile on her face…she was truly going to enjoy this. 

She grasped the edges of his robe and pulled him forward, twisting to throw him beneath her.  She reached into his mind…it was open and surprised, delighted and excited…she cut down any reasoning or logic that might make him suspicious by strengthening these feelings….yes she recalled Karintha’s words…”your enemies emotions are your ally, do not weaken them, strengthen them until they are all that remain – an enemy that can think critically is an enemy that can plan and predict – avoid that at all costs”.

She slipped her hands down his side, then back up to his face, he stared at her mesmerized, she pulled back a little and pouted, then pointed to her shock collar,

“oh…yes of course…”  he fumbled about in his robes before producing a small device, he reached up and pressed it to the small circle on the front of the collar, it opened with a click.  She pulled it off rapidly and placed it beside them, she arched up, he was fixed between her legs now, right where she wanted him.

She smiled warmly 
“Thank you” she said and meant it,

“Oh you can talk…oh…oh my…I,”

“shhh”  she pressed a finger to his lips, his eyes followed it…then on the tip of the finger blue light flickered…she let the hate-fire that had been building in her ever since the attack on her people take form in the material world…the light flowed into an undulating candle like flame that split in two and crept over his cheeks toward his eyes…

“whaaa…” he said, be began to move but she used her much stronger legs to pin his flabby body, she drew on the aether to pin his arms and legs by his side.  He started screaming, his tongue flapping like mad spraying her with spittle as the shriek came from deep within him.

She had always been very good at precision, even old Andis had commented she was almost as good as Valens…the blue flames reached balls of his eyes…crackling and snapping they melted to blackened pools…

His screaming continued as she stood up over him her hand pointed at his face, the fire now directed to his ears and nose, the flesh blackened and cracked into dusty smoke. 

“Waaaa….stooop,”  he wailed through his general chorus of pain

“I don’t understand” she said sweetly…”don’t you want me to touch you?”

She stood once again in the refresher…she didn’t quite know how long it had been…the room stank of charred flesh and blood…she stared into the mirror…she wished Karintha or Yorna were here to see this…tell her if she had gotten it right…

Her face…her body was covered in blood and ash from burnt flesh and fabrics…had she avenged herself sufficiently…she wasn’t sure…she still wanted to hurt him but he was dead now…and she was alone…

She hadn’t thought of that till now…Her mother had died birthing her…her father when she was 12 after getting a cut that became infected…now her sister and aunt…even the other girls were far away…she was truly alone for the first time in her life in the middle of space…an Orphan lost in the sea of the void…

No not alone

She felt the heat within her breast, she was certain she saw an aura of blu fire about her in the mirror for a second…
She had her hate
She had her fire
She had the Aether.

Lord_S_Gray

Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 03:51:54 PM »

Outstanding LSG!  I had thought that the eponymousl "orphan" was going to be the child Miles!  I love this development MUCH better!  Again, the Aethans are more primal Force-users; I would love to see a Guardian-training montage (such as when we get snippets of via Kiraea's remembered teachings).

This perfectly dovetails seamlessly with CotA.  Even better: it expands and enriches the universe you've given us!  I really hope that we see much more of Kiraea  Smiley. I can tell you've really perfected the details for Aethan culture and life!

I have to admit that there is a certain macabre, vicarious satisfaction with what she does with "Red Robe"  Grin. Plus, I always associate the "Aetheric Flame" with powerful Force-users, immolating with a "cleansing" fire.  And--like you said--regardless of his reticence, he was still willing to go through with his intent.  Laser-guided karma, IMO.
I can't wait for more!

Until next installment friends  Smiley

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »

Great beginning!  like Dutchman, I thought this was going to be a continuation, but I am not disappointed.  :-)

I am again struck by how ... tribal the Aethans feel in the story.  My first instinct is to assume that Kiraea just doesn't have a good sense of right vs wrong, but that's not true.  The real "error" in her world-view is that she simply doesn't see anyone other than her own people as People.  :-)  I have commented on this before, but the contrast strikes me again when I read this.  And her pure fury is utterly understandable considering what is happening to her people.  I imagine I would be equally angry in such a situation.

Her solution and method of aquiring freedom, though...  It brings to mind the phrase "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."  I'm sure "Red Robe" would agree with me.  :-)

Looking forward to the next installment(s).

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 01:29:17 AM »

Chapter 3

“Oh dear…Master Urha appears to be ill,” the machine said when it entered the room…she woke startled, torture that prolonged was tiring…she had been sleeping on the floor by a night stand...it was slightly less charred.

“Analysis…it appears Master Urha has suffered numerous burns and amputations…,” the machine looked at her, “Shall I place him in med bay,” 

What a strange thing, she tested her luck with it,

“No…he prefers to leave the ship at once,”

“Very well mistress,” it said and began scooping up his blackened remains. She followed the machine about, as it cleaned up, it seemed it had no orders to only obey just red robe…or perhaps she had been designated as a master as well.

“Will there be anything else mistress?”

“You are flying the ship,”

“Of course mistress,”

She wondered…”where are we headed?”

“Commenor to Master Urha’s estate,”

“is there anyone at this estate,”

“No mistress…”

“what’s a mistress?”

“You are mistress,”

That annoyed her,

“What does that mean”

“You are Master Urha’s intended companion and intended bride”

“bride…” that sicko probably thought he could just buy a slave and make it love him…”did he tell you to obey me?”

“Master Urha informed me to serve himself and his new bride…he was most excited to find you at last…he had been looking for one for many years,”

Her predications had been right the filthy pervert was a loner…better still a rich loner…after all she had suffered finally something was going right…yet she burned with the fact that such a turn of events had to occur at all.

“…can you teach me to fly the ship?,”
**********************************************************************************************
8MO was a useful tool in learning.  It had taken her to Urha’s estate on Commenor and been completely open about everything…he seemed to use the machine as a personal assistant.

She wanted to go back for the others…but she knew she had to learn…she recalled hunting Vorynx when they became too numerous with Karintha, Yorna, and the Guardian Taran, “watch, wait, learn, understand, then act,”.  The delay only built her hatred so that was a plus she supposed.

The estate was located just outside a major city of some kind, it was large and white, had an air of history to it…as 8MO explained it had been in the family, of which she was now apparently a part of, for generations.  8MO had shown her around and shown her how most things worked…There were so many strange things, devices she didn’t understand…the only place she understood was the library, apparently printed books were unusual collectors’ items…

It took her a while to master datapads, she kept making it turn off or hit it too hard, but once she did she started to read things called ‘news’ which talked about events in other places.

The most useful thing though was the holo-vids…they were moving picture things about lots of different people and places…some about pirates, some about senators in a place called the Republic, some about strange warriors called Jedi that seemed to use the aether, but they called it he force…and some really weird ones she found hidden behind the rest of aliens mating, often across species, but they weren’t like the other documentaries she had seen which was odd…truly this was a degenerate civilization that would permit different types of aliens to mate…and then watch it!

She sat with a holovid in the back ground whilst reading through messages on the data pad,

“But Jenin I Love You,”  the actor said.

“Buht Jehn-iin Aye Loove yahooo” she repeated…their language was similar but differently accented, it made it hard to understand sometimes

One message caught her interest…annual payment…

“arnnuawl” she spoke out loud, so many strange new words

…of 200,000 credits for ownership of Commenor Charase Wines trademark…

She had no idea what a Charase, a Wines or a trademark was.

“Does mistress require anything” 8MO asked out of nowhere, Kiraea leapt in her seat, the dro’yd thing as they were called still worried he, she couldn’t sense it moving or what it was thinking…it was a terrifying potential weapon…a machine that could think.

“What are credits?  They seem to talk about them all the time on the movies?” she asked “And how do it get them?”
***********************************************************************************************
Credits it turned out were a medium of exchange…very strange, on Aethas if you wanted something you just asked someone who had it, at worst you might have to wait for something to grow or be made…anyway she would apparently need them if she was to buy the other girls back.

Credits appeared to be made at banks, large glass and metal buildings like the one she was in now.  It was full of ugly aliens like everywhere she had been since she left Aethas, cool and light all whites and greys.  8MO had bought her some clothes, she didn’t like them…they were all sticky and…odd against her skin…not like the gormin wool she was used too. Apparently she looked ‘professional’ though.  But though 8MO could buy that with credits apparently only the person who owned 8MO could spend enough to buy a slave.

“Next,” called someone at a desk,

She got up and headed to the office with 8MO in tow.
Inside a man sat at a desk with a computer thing

“please take a seat,” his eyes still on the screen,
“You’re hear about the Urha account,”
She didn’t say anything for a while, he looked at her,
“uh…yes…I’m his wife and want access to all his credits,”
She immediately sensed suspicion flood the aether,
“Riiight…his wife…aren’t you a little young,”
“Fine I’m his daughter then just give me access, I already have his house, his ship and his do-royd”
“you mean droid?”
“that’s it droyed, give me his credits too,”

He leaned back and folded his arms, his aura was one of suspicion but also amusement at her antics

“look sweetie, I’m this close to calling security…you’re just a kid trying on a scam not even a good one…get out of here,”

Just a kid, - the fire burnt over without even consciously wanting to she felt herself tightening the aether around his neck

“a…aaack…a..sto..ple..eeez”  he chocked out

“You don’t tell me what to do! No one tells an Aethan what to do you hideous freak!” she squeezed harder

“you appear to be in pain, should I call for assistance?” 8MO asked the manager, it broke her out of her blind rage.

She loosened her mental grip but rammed into his mind,

“You’re going to give me access to the credits I want right now, then you’re going to apologise for being such a disgusting, ugly…urgh…just plain pathetic creature…then you’re going to do the decent thing and kill yourself and as many other of these fiends as you can!...” she paused to think, “make that a few days after I leave though!”

His eyes were glassy, his body swaying from the trance…

“I’ll give you access to the accounts now…”  he fumbled about with slow movements to produce an odd device, he clicked a few keys on his computer,

“please place your hand here for identity registry and transfer please, please,”  she put her hand on it, lights flashed from blue to green,

“please no name in system please…name please…”

“Kiraea” 

“please last name please,”

She was getting very annoyed now,

“Karnansdottir,”

Another green flash,

“please I’m sorry for being a disgusting ugly, uggh, just plain pathetic creature…I’ll do the decent thing and kill myself and these fiends…please”  he waved a slow aimless arm about.

“Good…8MO, lets go!”  Hey that rhymed she mused happily as she skipped out of the office.

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 01:30:46 AM »

Chapter 4
It had taken twice as long to reach Nar Shadda as it should’ve with Kiraea piloting…she still found so much of it difficult, 8MO was able to explain things…but it wasn’t like learning with a real person.  When she was taught to read, write, forge metal, sew…she had been able to not just see with her eyes, touch with her hands…but also feel the movements of her father and aunt in the aether…that was why they could learn so quickly…adapt so easily, their connection to the aether instinctively interpreted the world around them from the emanations of others…but a droid…a droid was dead.

She started to think she had made a mistake killing Urha so quickly…she had been so angry though…and he was so disgusting…but still she could’ve learned more from him more quickly than the droid.

The landing was bumpy and she scraped the lower hull for a few metres leaving a trail for sparks, but she managed it.

The place was as dirty as she remembered…she didn’t understand it…how could people with such advanced technology allow things to decay, become filthy and unkempt…they had so little in the way of possessions back home, they treated everything as precious, keeping things immaculate…did these people have so much they didn’t care?

She wandered the vast poorly lit hallways of the spaceport with 8MO in tow, funny machines carrying crates, and gaggles of creatures of all shapes wandering about, turning into the colourfully lit bars that looked just like the ones she’d seen on the Space Rogue Holovid.

She suddenly sensed danger trickle up her spine, there were people looking at her…following her, she turned a corner toward the exit.  She stopped suddenly as a burly…thing…with a leathery face stood in front of her, two others, a human like thing and an odd green thing with a snout crowded her from behind.

“Hey pretty,” big leered at her, “where you off to hey?”

“Get out of my way,” she said firmly, her annoyance stoking the flames,

“Don’t be so rude schutta,”  he stepped toward her, her eyes narrowed as he started prattling on about how dangerous it was for ‘little girls’ and how they would ‘look after’ her.  She reached out to sense their minds…Whenever you have more than one opponent…her aunt had taught her divide their unity, or better, turn them against each other, let sister kill sister, let mother kill daughter…then finish off the battered survivors.  She pushed out mentally,

“You three should just shut up and kill each other,”

With such an alien face she couldn’t read his expressions but something crossed big’s face, then he made a strange cackling sound

“You vaped girly, you crazy!” it hadn’t worked…she closed a fist and let the flames fill her hand

“we should shut up and kill each other,” the human behind her said woozily

“Echu’to Kurm Hurchasa,”  snout nose said, his aura worried

“Get your head back in the game Neev, enough playing around grab the little schutta,”

She flicked her hand open, a stream of blue fire hit big straight in the chest it tangled around his ramshackle armour and hit the flesh, the snout nose yelled something, she turned on him and fired again, straight into his face…it burnt with a hideous smell…the human stood there swaying slowly…she really didn’t have the knack of this mind control yet…too blunt.

Aliens and cargo lifters continued to wander past as though this were nothing unusual…in fact she heard a blaster bolt somewhere down the hall…they were inured to violence here she guessed. It was just like the holovid Star Rogue….She picked up the weapons on the corpses and what little valuables they had, then turned to the human,

“You give me all you’re valuables…when I come back this way I expect you to give me more, now get lost,”

“mmmm yeahhh,” he wandered off
***********************************************************************************************
The scale of the slave markets was overwhelming…not just visually…or physically…but the aether was saturated with despair…helplessness…terror…when she had first been here she hadn’t been attuned enough…and had probably been too angry to truly notice it…

Countless cages, cells, shop fronts, full of creatures beyond counting…some filthy and stinking, others immaculate…all this on sale to the thousands of buyers

“Myzm’s High Quality Stock and Servants” was one of the better looking establishments… A blue twi’lek greeted her with false warmth,

“Humans, young, female,” she asked

It was surreal…the sheer scale of the trade here…her anger was fuelled ever more…by the aether she hoped someone made this Myzm burn…she finally came to the cells…the other side from where she had been…

As she had feared most were empty now…

“we’ve had these nearly a month now…they’ve proved quite popular…” the twi’lek rambled about their qualities, only making her hate him more

In one of the cells a huddled form moved, she felt a tentative brush in the aether…she grasped at it and responded with as much warmth and sense of safety she could…Adaea…she recognised her presence as she opened up more, sensing the connection the girl in the other cell brightened into the aether, Lyaea, a girl of only ten….only ten

“I’ll take them both,”  she said firmly trying to keep herself from exploding with hate…if she died she couldn’t help them…to be a Guardian meant control of yourself and your situation she recalled Karintha saying…at a time like this she understood how hard that could be. 
The trip back to the ship she was as cautious as she could be…Lyaea was distressed and clung to Adaea…she was only ten…Kiraea worried about her development on such strange worlds at such a young age…without older women there to teach her important things in the years to come it would be left to her…Adaea was 15…but she was only trained in the basic aetheric arts and didn’t have the same strength Kiraea did…she had to protect her too.

As they headed to the ship she noted the corpse of the human she had told to steal things for her, beaten bloody on the side of a wall.  It was a Vorynx eat Vorynx galaxy.

Entering the hangar something was wrong, Lyaea tightened her grip on Adaea, who in turn looked worried…

“What is it?” 

“I don’t know…I’ll find out…” she gesture to a corner aetherically, “wait for me there,” handing them one of the blasters she had taken, “Take this, hold it like that and pull that thing with your finger, let the aether guide your hand like when you’re playing Fly Stones,” 

Fly Stones was a game familiar to all Aethan children, they would throw dozens of stones into the air boosted by the aether, the aim was to hit the other persons stones out mid-air and get yours through to hit them.  It taught them how to wield and co-ordinate multiple objects at once as well as precision and accuracy.

She crept toward the ship and the sense of someone inside resolved in her mind…she sensed a desperation…a despair…a frustration at not being able to do something that should be easy…the fact she could sense these emotions meant it must be a human…she didn’t understand alien ones…yet…

The boarding ramp was down, not how she left it…she crept up, dampening her sounds with the aether.  Don’t let them see you, sense you, or hear you until after they are dead, her aunt would tell her when along with Yorna they’d play night-kill in the caverns…she’d played it with the other Guardian children once, Jarys often won, he was so competitive, but sometime she thought Valens let himself get caught deliberately.  She did her best to move as swiftly as Jarys did.

Tiptoeing toward the bridge she saw an old scruffy looking human with grey hair doing something to the console…

“Frelling things…64 Terabit encryption….cheap kriffing slicer…” 

She filled her palms with fire…she had to be precise she couldn’t damage the ship.  Suddenly he turned, she was about to burn him when his aura softened

“eh…oh, you looking to steal this one too…” he shook his head…

“if you’ve got a better slicer than a octo-core 2 should be a breeze, hey what…” she stared at her…

“what’s going on with your…..”  she used his distraction to pin his body to the chair,

“Who are you,”

“erghh…Colm…Colm Maynard…best…well used to be best thief this side of Denon,”

“Who’s Denon?” she probed

“What…” he looked confused…”Denon, planet Denon…jeez that’s what happens when kids are forced into lives like this…” there was genuine sadness in his aetheric energy…and honesty…

She consider her options…she could kill him then and there…but perhaps he could be more useful to her alive…she reached into his mind

“you’re going to serve me now…”  he pushed back!

“eh…damn…Jedi tricks….that take me back…you’re not from around here are you?”

“No no, I am not…” she said honestly, she couldn’t sense any malice or lechery in this one…just a sadness, the sadness of growing old and feeling useless, past your prime….”I need someone to help me and my people….but I need to able to trust them,”  She let the burning anger strengthen her will and pushed past his blockage and seized his consciousness…

“If you ever try to harm or disobey me…or any of my people…you’ll rip your own face off…and eat it…”  she should probably add more…”and you’ll tell us everything about yourself and teach us everything you know about how this galaxy works and how to survive in it,” 

His face was contorted in pain, his body shaking violently only held in place by her telekinetic grip, finally he relaxed….
“Frell girl…I don’t know what you are…but frell…”

Lord_S_Gray

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 01:39:38 AM »

Great beginning!  like Dutchman, I thought this was going to be a continuation, but I am not disappointed.  :-)

I am again struck by how ... tribal the Aethans feel in the story.  My first instinct is to assume that Kiraea just doesn't have a good sense of right vs wrong, but that's not true.  The real "error" in her world-view is that she simply doesn't see anyone other than her own people as People.  :-)  I have commented on this before, but the contrast strikes me again when I read this.  And her pure fury is utterly understandable considering what is happening to her people.  I imagine I would be equally angry in such a situation.

Her solution and method of aquiring freedom, though...  It brings to mind the phrase "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."  I'm sure "Red Robe" would agree with me.  :-)

Looking forward to the next installment(s).

Indeed Kiraea is, as you'll soon see far more pure in her simple beliefs. But she lacks the full training as you'll also see.  But yeah as Dutchman noted this is more about Kiraea as a person and how she deals with this strange world, gues I wanted to try a less combat centric narrative.

Lord_S_Gray

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 12:43:34 PM »

Well you've got "dark comedy" covered in spades LSG  Smiley

Excellent writing; the tonal shift is evident without being heavy-handed.  If your intent (which is rhetorical, we know it is  Wink) is to convey Kiraea's neophyte aptitude with the aether, you've more than succeeded.  What's better is that it flows organically within the first-person perspective and really gives us a sense of how "alien" this entire set of events are for her.

Nice to see some continuity with Jarys and Valens mentioned.  But the disparate feel of this story is appropriate: it "feels" more juvenile, apropos of Kiraea's naivete and her being a "stranger in a strange land."

And as morbid as it is, the humor is, again, germane to Kiraea's inexperience.  Who as a kid hasn't wanted to get "justice" on a bully (or in this case: mugger/rapist)? 

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:52 PM »

I agree.  The different way she's dealing with the situation is refreshing and interesting.  I love the way she watches the holovids and begins interpreting the real world from the fictional.  It reminded me in a very indirect way of the movie Galaxy Quest and the Thermians.  :-)  Though obviously a LOT darker. 

And there's certainly the undercurrent of her youth.  This very much brings to mind a half-trained young person, filled with the zeal of their age and youthful vigor and ignorance.  :-)  Nicely written.  I am looking forward to this newly injected voice of experience to begin tempering this relationship - and her quest for vengeance.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »

Thanks guys.  Yes this is very much a chance for me to do some of the things I originally wanted to in CotA, lighten the mood in a dark way, but couldn't quite fit in a way that worked. 

Originally Kiraea was going to feature in CotA, but it was already getting a bit big, so I split her out in favour of more focus on Soryu...I think I made the right choice as it lets me have more freedom with her here than just being a part of a larger narrative. 

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:17:45 PM »

Good choice.  Sometimes the characters take on a life of their own, and Kiraea seems to be one of those characters that deserves a chance to get out and breathe a little.  :-) 

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 10:34:17 PM »

Chapter 5
The red light beeped again and that awful whine went off….

“Ladies bloody eyes,” she yelled

“Smoother, smoother,” Maynard chimed in an unsought suggestion

“You smooth it,” she snapped

She was practicing on one of Urha’s safes, she hadn’t even known it was there till Maynard found it. 

“you’re close, just a little more gently, you can’t bludgeon your way in,”  he added

He had been teaching her how to crack safes, disable security systems and the like…for in this galaxy you needed credits to get food and things…credits had to be earned using your skill in a job or the like…Kiraea’s job would be as a thief taking credits and valuable tings off other people.  Colm Maynard had had a long career as a professional thief so that was what she would be too.

“Now reset it, remember the sequence,” he instructed, she scowled

Maynard had been a useful teacher, like an uncle…he had ended up destitute on Nar Shadda after being caught stealing from a Hutt named Myzm…he escaped but not before being tortured with a neural simulator – a device that fooled nerves into believing say a limb had been cut off when it hadn’t.   It left him with a number of co-ordination problems and damaged his fine motor skills, such that he could no longer ply his trade, and he was left trying to steal a ship to get off Nar Shadda when she had…dominated…him.

She didn’t quite understand the concept of theft at first…she didn’t understand why someone would take someone else’s things…Aethans held most things in common…except clothes, a few toys and bits of jewellery…but it had never entered in her mind to want what was someone else’s without them knowing….

Something smashed in the next room distracting her, she heard Adaea and Lyaea chatting over something…they found all these items strange and had broken more than a few trying to work out their function, even with Maynards help.

She went back to work resetting the lock.  Urha had credits in the bank thing, but she had spent most of them to get Lyaea and Adaea back…there were more things Maynard had helped her sell in the safe but it wasn’t enough for all of them for long he had informed her.

They had helped each other in a way, Maynard got a way off Nar Shadda, and to be honest a new purpose in life in looking after the three Aethan girls, and they had someone who could help them navigate the galaxy, and by teaching Kiraea his skills, find a way to provide for them

She went back to using the aether to try and unpick the lock and disable the system…Maynard was a canny operator, after seeing her abilities he had quickly realised her potential.  She had even secured a better deal when selling Urha’s valuables, encouraging the weird four armed creature with the aether…she smiled at that…she didn’t really have a grasp on controlling alien minds yet…her attempt to make the alien fence desire the goods had been…extreme…the four armed thing had ended up in passionate love with red robes clothes and paid a vast sum for them and tried to mate with them as soon as he got them!  it had been soo funny.

“Concentrate,”  Maynard said checking his data-wrist thing that should read outs of her progress.

She focused on the small components, twisting and zapping…the door swung open…

“well done Kiraea,” he said “now do that 30 more times and you might be close” …he reminded her of Karintha saying that…Until you can do it without thinking, you don not truly know how to do it.

******************************************************************************************
“You’re going to have to go….”  He said as that ate what passed for food here. 

“I don’t understand why,”  she said for like the millionth time

“ughh…”  he rubbed his face in frustration that was coming through the aether

“Kids have to go to school…people will notice and report you eventually…you don’t want the police here asking questions…I can handle the paper work,”

“don’t children just learn like normal?”  Adaea asked, she seemed less resistant, but still confused about the concept of a place where all children learnt things…normally you just followed your parents around, and picked up on things…Aethans passive aetheric abilities let them learn things from the patterns of thought and concentration in others…it was how they mastered every skill in Aethan society so quickly….had Maynard still been able to perform his lock picking Kiraea could’ve used that to become an expert faster.

“No they…you just have to do it, trust me…” he sounded slightly defeated. 

With her mind domination was still in effect she knew he was telling the truth, or he would be trying to rip his own face off by now….At any rate it was no use having him here if she didn’t at least follow his advice.

“Fine we’ll all go…” she said, Lyaea looked downcast…she was so young…Kiraea leaned over to hug her,

“We’ll do it together,”
*******************************************************************************************
School was a very strange place…young creatures from all about put in rooms of ten with an older creature to learn things.  She had kept quiet for most of the first few days, silently siphoning knowledge and understanding from the other human students.

As strange as it was though, it was helpful, she was learning a lot, Maynard had been right about that. 

“Who can tell me the about a Reduction Oxidation reaction,” the ugly old bat of a teacher asked…he was wrinkled and grey haired…Aethans got old but they never looked like that.  “Kiraea,” she pointed to her,

“Oh…it’s a reaction that has the transfer of Aylactrons from one reactant to the other one it,”

She paused as she heard sniggering behind her,

“Girls,” the teacher said sternly

“Has two basic forms Oyxaydateeon which is when one loses Aylactrons, that’s the increase in Oyxaydateeon state,”

More sniggering

“and Rayduction, the gain of Aylactrons…”  more sniggering made her anger bubble, “a decrease in Oyxaydateeon”, she turned around sharply on the two girls who were laughing at her, “Will you shut up!”

“Kiraea! sit back down, Y’Shalla, Xeanna, you should know better than to laugh at someone for having a different accent,”

At the meal break she sat with Adaea toying with what they called food here…disgusting inedible stuff…not real substance compared to what she had back home.  Her eyes were fixed on Xeanna in the other corner…

“Don’t Kiri…” Adaea warned nudging her in the aether, “you’ll get in trouble…Maynard said….”

“I don’t care what Maynard said…that Falalaleen tralk is going to get it for making fun of me,”

“I think it’s Faalleen,” Adaea quietly corrected her, “Don’t do it…”

“They won’t know…even babies are stronger than these things….”  She gestured around her at the masses of other students and teachers…all little better than corpses in terms of aetheric power. 

Xeanna got up with her friends and wandered toward them, Adaea reached over and grasped Kiraea’s hand in a supplicating gesture…

They stood at the end of the table,

“Sharing Aylectrons!” Xeanna said pointing at their linked hands eliciting a giggle from her friends, “breathing in the Oyxaygen!” more laughter

“Real funny greeny,”  Kiraea snapped back, she pushed out in the aether, “why don’t you go shove your head in a bin where it belongs,”  The other girls laughed, Xeanna’s eyes went glassy, she could feel the Faalleen trying to resist the urge to obey…but like trying not to scratch an itchy nose…she just couldn’t…pushing past her friends she ran to a nearby bin and shoved her head in it, her friends were stunned, a shockwave of laughter and amazement spread through the room.

Adaea looked slightly disappointed, but couldn’t keep from smiling…

“I thought you were going to kill her,”

Kiraea shrugged and patted her hand, “I guess I’m learning restraint!”
********************************************************************************************
She sat on the balcony of the mansion overlooking the gardens…untended and neglected the people on the holo-channel about gardening would say…returning to its natural state she would reply.

The stars were different here…she couldn’t see Varens and Anderis, the Wise brothers, Aphrodaea and her Daughters, or even Aertemisaea’s bow in them. 

The sounds were different here…instead of the gentle rumble of gormin’s as they slept on the paddocks was the hum of hovercars from the city.

The smells were different, her father had always kept blue Ladies Bells beside her bed…they had been her mother’s favourite he had told her…she had died when she was very young from an infection…instead it stank of steel and ferrocrete

For all these thing she couldn’t sleep…She just wanted to go home…to wake from this pain….like a hopeful child she would wake every morning thinking maybe today, maybe today the Guardians will come for us…and like the silly gobril in children’s tales she would go to bed every night thinking maybe tomorrow….

She hated this…hated that she had to be the one in charge, the one to do everything…she wasn’t ready for this…

“I don’t like it here too,” a quiet voice behind her agreed,
Lyaea was wrapped in her blanket watching her, she turned and spread her arms, the girl rushed into her hug. 

“Will we ever go home?”  she asked her eyes big and glossy in the starlight,

“I don’t know…” she answered honestly, obviously she had been making waves in the aether as Adaea came out next and joined them in their hug while trying to put out comforting feelings.

“It might be a long time before we go home…” she said after a time looking at the stars… “we just have to keep trying…” she wasn’t sure what they were trying for really…but then survival was sometimes the best you could do,

Lyaea yawned, “Can we sing,” she asked,

“Of course,” said Adaea, “which one?”
“Nothing too long” Kiraea added, “We have school tomorrow,” they would often sing in the evenings or tell tales back home some of them were very long though, “Just a regular lullaby,” 

Lyaea thought for a moment then started, soon joined by her and Adaea….
“There’s blood on the soil
There’s death in the sky
The Goddess is burning the sith with her eyes

Run little children,
Run back to the vale
Hide under the mountains
Old grey and pale

Aethenaea will you teach you
Aertemisaea will hide
Aephrodaea will love you
And the Guardians guide”

The light winds of the aether lifted their voices back to their home.

Lord_S_Gray

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:59 PM »

Very nice.  School?  Didn't see that one coming...  Smiley

Again, I like the pedestrian feel to this one.  Its just so ... close to home.  This is my daughter trying to get her younger sisters through being stranded in a foreign land.  Nicely done.

And the song.  Great adaption of the pantheon!  :-)  But I also like the lyrics...

"...burning the sith with her eyes..."

How utterly interesting.  :-)

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »

This is amazing.  The tonality of this story is vastly different from all your POV chapters in CotA.  For me, it's difficult switching "voices" e.g. Zearic & Jorya.  You do it not only subtly but incredibly thoroughly (and effectively).  And as I read it, I am taken back (if vicariously) to times when I had to grow up fast.  Well done.

Another point and I know we all see it: the attention to detail, not only as a narrative device (yes, there's that) but also from SW canon.  Small details like "ferrocrete" and "Nar Shadda" really immerse us (and I know that most times I read it as setting BUT also know what kind of research goes into even just ONE chapter).  Well, that last goes to everyone who's posted: TR, Karm, LSG,  Angel, HB1. Just wanted to mention that  Wink

One theme that you've been implicitly effective at conveying: Aethan social mores are MUCH different than ours.  I remember Karm's insightful analogy of "The People."  Again, we see this in Kiraea's perspective. 

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »

This is amazing.  The tonality of this story is vastly different from all your POV chapters in CotA.  For me, it's difficult switching "voices" e.g. Zearic & Jorya.  You do it not only subtly but incredibly thoroughly (and effectively).  And as I read it, I am taken back (if vicariously) to times when I had to grow up fast.  Well done.

Another point and I know we all see it: the attention to detail, not only as a narrative device (yes, there's that) but also from SW canon.  Small details like "ferrocrete" and "Nar Shadda" really immerse us (and I know that most times I read it as setting BUT also know what kind of research goes into even just ONE chapter).  Well, that last goes to everyone who's posted: TR, Karm, LSG,  Angel, HB1. Just wanted to mention that  Wink

One theme that you've been implicitly effective at conveying: Aethan social mores are MUCH different than ours.  I remember Karm's insightful analogy of "The People."  Again, we see this in Kiraea's perspective. 

Exactly.  Her attitude reminds me a lot of how Native American peoples reacted to Europeans when they first started trading.  Not that they didn't understand theft, but more that they didn't really get ownership, especially of the land.  Money?  What's that?  LOL

That view of being a stranger in a strange land and trying to feel your way through truly alien concepts and customs is really neat.  I love how she decides to become a professional thief because that's what her mentor is.  Absolutely no moral inflection, no realization that its not considered 'ok'.  Just 'this is what we do to get credits?  Ok, lets do it.  We need credits to get stuff to survive."

Awesome writing!  :-)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: