Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Issue on Win7: US Launcher v2.41 won't run, but older versions will  (Read 2642 times)
EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« on: December 02, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »

Hello all! I'm new around here and will be posting cool stuff soon, but I have to deal with this first.

I just got my Diamond saber today (Emperor's Hand, very impressive), so naturally I have the urge to hook it up to the computer and mess with it.

I've been trying for most of the last 3 hours to install US Launcher v2.41, to no avail. I have Windows 7.

I have the latest Visual C++, so that's not the issue. The driver *did* install correctly; my computer recognizes the saber when it is plugged in as "Diamond Controller", so in theory if I get the software running, I should have no connection problems.

I've installed the new version at least 5 times now and it will not start; I get the little hourglass like it's about to run, and it shows up in my Task Manager processes, but no window appears.

Interestingly, Ultrasabers Launcher v1.03 (which I found in an old Obsidian thread) installs and runs with no issue; however, when I then tried to use the maintenance tool to update to v2.41, I get the same issue as earlier.

Unfortunately, since v1.03 predates the Diamond board, I can't use that, and my Diamond was already upgraded to the new firmware in the box, so I can't well just try to find v2.19 and run that.

Does anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on here?

Thanks,
Otto

edit: and yes, I have been running as administrator for both installs and running the program

Current collection:
Emperor's Hand (Diamond, White AV Switch)
Dark Initiate V4 (Arctic Blue) (Mystery Box @RTX)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Silver) (Mystery Box Online)
And some OLD Ultrasabers!
Elder (Orange) (Copper Tube)
Tempest (Red) (PVC curved double-blade, complete hilt rebuild)
Archon V1 (Green) (PVC, hilt needs rebuilt)
Nemesis (Blue) (hilt rebuilt as sink tube)

Wishlist: Prophecy (Diamond), Quick Detach Coupler

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:47:54 PM »

Update since it won't let me edit my other post again: any time I try to run the launcher, Werfault.exe *32 shows up in my processes, which is some sort of Windows error reporting thing. UltrasabersLauncher.exe also shows up as *32. I'm beginning to think that compatibility with Windows 7 may have been accidentally removed with update v2.41.

Current collection:

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:50:54 AM »

Not sure it was by accident as far as the loss of compatibility.
If you're still running windows 7, even Microsoft themselves no longer support it

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:20:04 AM »

Not sure it was by accident as far as the loss of compatibility.
If you're still running windows 7, even Microsoft themselves no longer support it

Win7 is still supported officially until 2020 and is still the most common desktop OS over Win10 by a few percent. I'd be genuinely pissed if US purposefully discontinued Win7 support, though I doubt they'd risk alienating a fair share of their user base.

Current collection:

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »

I don't think they're targetting a specific version of Windows, so much as trying to keep as much 'general compatibility' out there.
There are a LOT of working versions of Windows out there, and, sometimes, in becoming compatible to the newest, that knocks out compatibility with the older stuff

RSX Engineering
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 54

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »

I have the latest Visual C++, so that's not the issue.

Hi,

the UltraSabres Launcher is still compatible with Windows 7 (theoretically it could also run on Windows XP, but we don't support it anymore = we just don't test for it). Did you try to install the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015, (you need the 2015 version not the latest one -2017), the one from this link from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Cheers,
Adrian

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »

Hi,

the UltraSabres Launcher is still compatible with Windows 7 (theoretically it could also run on Windows XP, but we don't support it anymore = we just don't test for it). Did you try to install the Visual C++ Redistributable 2015, (you need the 2015 version not the latest one -2017), the one from this link from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Cheers,
Adrian

I have installed and reinstalled the 2015 version of C++ from the link in the USLauncher readme several times, to no avail.

Is there any sort of log or whatever that I could give you? I don't get any sort of error messages when the launcher fails to load, just the WerFault *32 (from SysWOW64) showing up in the processes along with UltrasabersLauncher.exe. It's seems like some sort of conflict between the 64-bit OS and the 32-bit software, which makes no sense since 32-bit should be natively supported. I cannot think of any reason why this shouldn't be working, especially if older versions do. Do you have any clue?

What I have tried:
- installing 2015 Vis C++ Redist
- every single Compatibility Mode
- Running as Administrator
- Installing an old version that worked and then updating it to v2.41 from within the program
- checked for driver issues (there are none)
- I did get it to work on a friend's computer (they have Win10x32), but even then it's buggy and often crashes when I try to import sound files into an effect (yes, they are 16 bit PCM mono 48000) or write to board

I'm about to dust off my old WinXP comp out of storage and try that out of sheer desperation Sad

Current collection:

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 12:40:15 AM »

I FIGURED IT OUT!

I have an ATI graphics card and they are finicky with a lot of things. In Event Viewer, USLauncher was trying to load a .dll file, atioglxx.dll, that it couldn't find. As it turns out, this is the exact same missing DLL (from an old version of ATI) that prevented me from playing Knights of the Old Republic on my PC with this same graphics card. I had the .dll saved and just copied it into the USLauncher Application directory, and it opened just fine just like what I did with KotOR!

Problem solved, everyone!

Current collection:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: