Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Size of Blade for body size  (Read 1330 times)
Jurok
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« on: December 05, 2017, 03:50:45 AM »

I assume this is the right area to post this, anyways I'm just about 16 years old, and I've been saving money from my job I started. I'm pretty short (5'4" ish) and was wondering for a dual saber (phantom v4) whether I should get the 32 in blades or play it safe with 24 in blades. I saw a post earlier about someone that was 5'7" and thinking the 32 was too big. this worried me abit and got me wondering on which size blade. any input would be nice and I can provide additional info as needed. thanks!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:56:25 AM »

At your height, I'd say either go with 24" or cut down some 32" blades to make them 28"
Might be best with the 24" blades, though

Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 04:04:54 AM »

I'm 6ft tall and this is me using 24s.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1FAV10bAOE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1FAV10bAOE</a>

And these are 30ish blades I assembled myself.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Wum8ofhBk" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Wum8ofhBk</a>

As you can see, it's a pretty big difference.  I like the 24s, but I probably wouldn't cosplay with them.  You can try to request a custom blade size, but there's a fee I believe.

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:14:28 AM »

I would get the 24's if you are using a staff

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Jurok
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:35:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies, this really cleared things up for me  Smiley

skribs
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 151

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »

Depends on how comfortable you are with the staff.  I've made a staff with 36" blades and a pike extension in the middle.  That was a lot of fun.

A normal staff with 32s is a bit unweildy.  You can do a lot with it, but it's going to limit you in some cases.  24s will be much easier to control.

Akheron
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 18

"The middle path is the way to wisdom."

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »

Sounds like 24 would probably be your best bet, especially with a staff. But if you are going to be dueling anyone, consider their height and blades as well.

I'm about 5'9", and I got a 30 inch blade for my costume, as that was the max length I could wear it on a belt at my waist without taking the blade out or dragging it on the ground. However, a 6'6" friend of mine ended up getting an ultrasaber with a 36 inch blade, and now he has such a significant reach advantage over me!

Ultrasabers what I own:

Dark Initiate LE V4 - Diamond
Dark Apprentice LE V4 - Diamond
Bellicose - Emerald, ObsidianV4
Apprentice V4 - Tri-Guardian Blue, ObsidianV4
Crimson Scorpion - Blazing Red, Silver FoC, ObsidianV4 <- Raffle Prize Smiley

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »

I'm 5'8 with a 36" blade and I think its fine

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »

I assume this is the right area to post this, anyways I'm just about 16 years old, and I've been saving money from my job I started. I'm pretty short (5'4" ish) and was wondering for a dual saber (phantom v4) whether I should get the 32 in blades or play it safe with 24 in blades. I saw a post earlier about someone that was 5'7" and thinking the 32 was too big. this worried me abit and got me wondering on which size blade. any input would be nice and I can provide additional info as needed. thanks!
I'm 6'1". My preference for a single blade is 36". For staff and dual-wielding I use 32s.

For your stature, I would say a 32" would work well for single blade, maybe 30" modified. If you feel the need to staff or rock the dualies, then definitely go for the 24s.

One question that has not been answered yet:

What hilt are you thinking about getting?

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

saberdad
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

I'm 6ft and the longer blades are too much for me. I think it comes down to what you want to do with your saber. I like to fight with my kids, so having a longer blade puts them at a tactical disadvantage. In my next order I've opted for the short 24 in blade.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: