Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Aeon V2 LE Leather wrap on hilt...  (Read 5585 times)
RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

« on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:14 AM »

So, two weeks to the day from receiving my Sentinel V4 in the mail, I ordered an Aeon V2 strictly for dueling and also to have a red blade for cosplay....  Within a day I had a black leather wrap on the Sentinel, and was eyeing the Aeon  V2 because I loved the look of the hilt and thought leather would look great on it...

Went with the local fabric store in search of larger pieces of leather but only found a faux leather in brown so I tried that...

Only thing I DON'T like about the customization I did on the Aeon V2 is I reaaaaally wanted for the wrap to go to the absolute bass of the hilt, just before the pommel. Problem is, I had a covertec wheel installed and have zero idea how to do the wrap so that it fits perfectly around the bass of the wheel. So, I did this wrap just above.... maybe i'll get brave and re-do it.

Sentinel V4 Arctic Blue TRI Cree with Obsidian Lite, Aeon V2 LE Blazing Red TRI Cree

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:55 AM »

Looking good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »

Thanks!

Do you think I should go with black leather instead of the brown? I chose black covertec wheel, black AV switch as accents since this is meant for a Sith cosplay.... It takes two retention screws and I have both black and gold knurled head thumb screws on the way (gold to match the gold LE trim, and black for obvious reasons), so black leather like my Sentinel would have been perfect...

The store I went to tonight only had brown so maybe I'll keep looking and try again...   The huge sheet of brown faux leather only cost me $1.25, so i'm not really out anything by switching it to black leather...  With the black leather on my Sentinel, I find the parts where the cuts were made stay black but the brown faux leather kindof is white from the crossection of the actual material.... hmmmm

Leather just seemed easier to manipulate and stretch to get pretty good precision wraps... the brown faux leather wrap I did looks ok, but not as good as the Sentinel...  I'm no expert, btw... literally my first and second attempts at wrapping hilts lol

Sentinel V4 Arctic Blue TRI Cree with Obsidian Lite, Aeon V2 LE Blazing Red TRI Cree

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

The brown looks good, goes good with the gold. But black would also look great on it.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:18 AM »

Very sharp looking results. Thanks for sharing

frankmoses
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

Light side points, please

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »

Looks awesome! I wonder if there's a way to cut a hole for the wheel. I know you measure the hole for an unguarded switch with a dime and cut it out. When I did that, I made it a little small, and the leather was easy to stretch over it.

"You can‘t force people to be just and decent. Such qualities arise from within – they cannot be forced from without." - Qui-Gon Jinn

RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:48 PM »

you know something? you just demystified this for me...  I think at the bass of my wrap I absolutely have enough wiggle room to cut a hole then continue with the wrap so that it doesn't cross back over the wheel again. Going to try it right meow.

I'm going to head over to the local leather supply warehouse and get some actual black leather tho but first i'll mock up a strip in the faux brown I have to see how it will sortof look... The faux brown leather looks ok, but feels bad when I grip the hilt. I can feel the edges of the cuts and it's not as nice as leather...

Thanks for the tip!

Dave

RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »

Using the same cut piece of faux leather, found a dime and cut a hole... Worked perfectly... I agree that I have to cut the hole a little bit smaller for it to be snug and not show any of the metal underneath, so I'll do that when I mock up another piece to use as a template for the real leather I'll buy today... Will also need the strip to be longer to make it all the way up the hilt to cover that last ring of gold trim...

Again, the advice was much appreciated... Smiley

PS: I think I did a better job on the actual wrapping this time too, regarding the spacing between the spiral rings around the hilt... it's more in line with the spacing on the Sentinel I modded... i.e. how much overlap I use...

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »

Perhaps try taking the covertec wheel off, wrapping the hilt then poking a small hole in the wrap and screwing the covertec back on.

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

Goldldr
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 26

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:05:59 PM »

This looks really awesome, thanks for sharing.

I was looking to something similar but I am a newb at this and I am not the best way to attach the leather.  What did you use to attach or glue this down?  Did you tack it down or glue most of the way etc.

Current Saber Collection (?=mystery box pull, *=raffle prize)
Consular (Diamond)
Flamberge v2 w/ renegade LE emitters (Diamond)
Azure Reaper Obs4 tri-cree CG
Crimson Scorpion ObsL FO (?)
Liberator v3 stunt FO (?)
Sentinel v4 ObsL AS (?)
Aeon v4 stunt FO (*)
Dark Apprentice stunt FO (?)

RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:44:08 PM »

Perhaps try taking the covertec wheel off, wrapping the hilt then poking a small hole in the wrap and screwing the covertec back on.

That's brilliant... zero chance to make the leather nudging up to the covertec wheel to look bad... just wow... thank you

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:45:38 PM »

No prob  Grin

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

DiZziMage
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -61

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »

Wow looks great congrats!

Sabers Owned:

ELECTRUM WIND (SY)
DARK INITIATE LE V4 (VA)
DOMINIX V3 (FO)

RRabbi
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:54 PM »

Here it is!

I very might well just keep the brown... took some work...  If anything I can unpeel it from the hilt and use it as a template for black leather, but I'll have to stew on it...

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:27:08 PM »

Looks great, I would leave it brown. Goes good with the gold.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: