Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Update Requested: Effect Volume Issues on Diamond Controller  (Read 2946 times)
EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »

I'm looking for an update on this thread from several months ago: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34797.0

After finally getting my software working correctly, I started messing around with putting some fonts on my Diamond and noticed I have the same problem that was talked about in this thread.

On a few of my fonts, the volume on the idle hum is increased relative to the rest of the sounds, leading to an ugly, choppy transition between idle and swings/clashes, etc. There's an effect volume slider in the effects wizard that actually does work when you hit the "Test" button, but is completely disregarded when you write the effect to board. This was a known bug as of around April this year that was supposed to be fixed in an update, but does not seem to have been.

Also, same as in this other thread, editing the sound files themselves does nothing. The sound files I have on there transition with the *exact* same volume when played on my computer, but the board normalizes all of them, making your power-on/off/swings/clashes quieter but your idle hum way louder, and editing the volume of the sound file itself does nothing.

This is a particularly annoying bug that does not seem to have been fixed despite knowing about it. I paid a lot of money for this board, but a lot of these otherwise high-quality fonts sound like a kid's toy because of the normalizing issue. Animation-wise this board is *incredibly* capable, and it is a real shame to have such an issue on such an otherwise spectacular lightsaber driver.

Have there been any attempts to look into this? 

Current collection:
Emperor's Hand (Diamond, White AV Switch)
Dark Initiate V4 (Arctic Blue) (Mystery Box @RTX)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Silver) (Mystery Box Online)
And some OLD Ultrasabers!
Elder (Orange) (Copper Tube)
Tempest (Red) (PVC curved double-blade, complete hilt rebuild)
Archon V1 (Green) (PVC, hilt needs rebuilt)
Nemesis (Blue) (hilt rebuilt as sink tube)

Wishlist: Prophecy (Diamond), Quick Detach Coupler

Obi Wan
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 5

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:33:08 PM »

This bug is VERY frustrating, yes. I actually thought it was fixed in the recent big Software/Firmware update from about a month ago, but sadly, I just fully realized when using one of the newer founds I recently loaded to my Chosen One, that the problem persists. I don't understand how they possibly could have failed to correct this bug in the most recent update. Very disappointing to say the least.

Fortunately, there is a work-around that I have used for many months now since I got my first Diamond Board and it is not that difficult at all to do (but still annoying that it is necessary even after the recent big update).
All you have to do is use Audacity and zoom all the way in on the waveform of the hum until you can see the individual points. Then amplify just ONE of the points all the way to maximum amplitude but leave the rest of the waveform at normal volume. This tricks the Diamond software into not normalizing the waveform on the saber and your hum will play at a nice moderate volume of your choosing and your swings and clashes will sound nice and loud and clear and transition smoothly back into the hum.

I have a whole bunch of fonts I purchased from "that website that sells saberfonts" and I used this trick on all of them and they sound awesome on my Diamond Sabers (I have 4 of them).

*EDIT*: I just updated my Launcher Software to Version 2.42 and the patch notes indicate that the volume bug has been solved. I will test it out tomorrow and see if this is true for myself. I sure hope it is. Also, I am glad they are releasing patches more frequently it seems. The Diamond Board really is awesome and deserves proper support through these software/firmware updates.

I'm looking for an update on this thread from several months ago: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=34797.0

After finally getting my software working correctly, I started messing around with putting some fonts on my Diamond and noticed I have the same problem that was talked about in this thread.

On a few of my fonts, the volume on the idle hum is increased relative to the rest of the sounds, leading to an ugly, choppy transition between idle and swings/clashes, etc. There's an effect volume slider in the effects wizard that actually does work when you hit the "Test" button, but is completely disregarded when you write the effect to board. This was a known bug as of around April this year that was supposed to be fixed in an update, but does not seem to have been.

Also, same as in this other thread, editing the sound files themselves does nothing. The sound files I have on there transition with the *exact* same volume when played on my computer, but the board normalizes all of them, making your power-on/off/swings/clashes quieter but your idle hum way louder, and editing the volume of the sound file itself does nothing.

This is a particularly annoying bug that does not seem to have been fixed despite knowing about it. I paid a lot of money for this board, but a lot of these otherwise high-quality fonts sound like a kid's toy because of the normalizing issue. Animation-wise this board is *incredibly* capable, and it is a real shame to have such an issue on such an otherwise spectacular lightsaber driver.

Have there been any attempts to look into this?  

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine"
   -The Force will be with you, alwaysl-

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:51:47 AM »

Fortunately, there is a work-around that I have used for many months now since I got my first Diamond Board and it is not that difficult at all to do (but still annoying that it is necessary even after the recent big update).
All you have to do is use Audacity and zoom all the way in on the waveform of the hum until you can see the individual points. Then amplify just ONE of the points all the way to maximum amplitude but leave the rest of the waveform at normal volume. This tricks the Diamond software into not normalizing the waveform on the saber and your hum will play at a nice moderate volume of your choosing and your swings and clashes will sound nice and loud and clear and transition smoothly back into the hum.

*EDIT*: I just updated my Launcher Software to Version 2.42 and the patch notes indicate that the volume bug has been solved. I will test it out tomorrow and see if this is true for myself. I sure hope it is. Also, I am glad they are releasing patches more frequently it seems. The Diamond Board really is awesome and deserves proper support through these software/firmware updates.

That's actually a very clever workaround! I'll definitely be trying that.

The 2.42 update fixed a bug I found in the US Launcher that caused the volume slider in the Effects Editor to not do anything; the normalization  happened after the volume slider was applied and so basically neutralized it. RSX says however that the automatic normalization is essentially "a feature, not a bug"; the intent is to make it easier to mix and match sounds from different fonts, but since Obs/Dia have pre-mixed soundfonts, that intent is kinda useless. Until they decide to make normalizing a user-toggled option, we'll have to stick with your workaround (again, very clever and I will be using it in any soundfont I have now).

Current collection:

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »

More info on this topic here: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36617.0

Current collection:

Zalbaag
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -42

Dark...Light...we are bound only to the Force

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 01:20:55 AM »

Hi all, sorry for resurrecting such an old (and now fixed) issue post. I just wanted to say I'm so happy this is fixed! I've been away from the community for a while now and honestly it was partly due to feeling cheated due to this issue on my otherwise amazing diamond saber.  Getting new fonts and messing around with other fonts was one of my favorite things to do with these sabers (aside from swinging them around like a crazy person), so the whole issue left me feeling a bit negative.

A saber dojo/store just opened up nearby and I decided to check and see if the issue was resolved since I had new reasons to pick up my sabers, so since I've updated I've worked on and loaded up 4 different fonts! I'm working on more, but I'm reinvigorated knowing that the issue is fixed.

Happy sabering!!

Sabers I Own: Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound
Dominix LE V4 - Guardian Blue stunt saber
Manticore CE - SRD w/V4 sound
Crimson Scorpion - Emerald Driver and V4 sound (raffle prize)
Shock LE - Tri Fire Orange w/V4 sound
Aeon v4 - Blazing Red (raffle prize)
Archon v3 - Tri GB w/V4 sound
Graflex SE - GB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Manticore - AB w/V4 sound (raffle prize)
Emperor's Hand - Diamond
Crimson Reaper - Emerald w/V3 sound (raffle prize)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: