Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Purged: A Hardware Store hilt concept(and hopefully project)  (Read 3481 times)
TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 44

Light Side

« on: December 10, 2017, 01:17:13 AM »

Surviving Order 66 wasn't particularly tricky for your favorite space tequila-swilling consular; it was the ten years that followed.  As the newly minted Sith Lord Darth Vader hunted down all the Jedi he could, the best one could hope for was to stay a step ahead, possessions be damned, and that's would led to our hero being chased out of a rather disreputable place of lodging wearing nothing but a terrified look and carrying nothing at all, especially not his lightsaber.  A small price to pay for one's life, if you ask me, but it left one needing a replacement as quickly as possible.  So, after clothing himself, the consular took to the nearest junkyard, hastily fabricated a synthetic khyber crystal and assembling a hilt out of scrap speeder parts.  It was ugly, and it was red, but with wisdom comes the realization that it's what's on the inside that counts.

So, backstory aside, here'a my absolutely garbage concept drawing.  I'm hoping that you guys can give me some feedback and offer up ideas to help me improve the design and bring out the saber's colorful origins.

Who says red is only for the bad guys?

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:40 AM »

LOVE the backstory and the concept.  One thing, you mentioned scrap speeder parts, but I see nothing in the design that says "speeder part".  Perhaps a bit of motorcycle grip, or a bit of muffler baffle...  Point given and look forward to seeing more of this!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 01:57:11 AM »

LOVE the backstory and the concept.  One thing, you mentioned scrap speeder parts, but I see nothing in the design that says "speeder part".  Perhaps a bit of motorcycle grip, or a bit of muffler baffle...  Point given and look forward to seeing more of this!

That's a great idea!  I was initially thinking internal tubes and stuff, but I rather like the idea of incorporating a grip into the center section, and some like this: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/baffles-for-1-1-2-exhaust-pipes-universal.html might would make for a killer emitter.. Point returned!

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 03:05:04 AM »

Backstory is very good. And the design definitely has potential

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:50 AM »

That's a great idea!  I was initially thinking internal tubes and stuff, but I rather like the idea of incorporating a grip into the center section, and some like this: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/baffles-for-1-1-2-exhaust-pipes-universal.html might would make for a killer emitter.. Point returned!

Those baffles look pretty awesome!  Let us know if you use them and how they work out.  Another though it heat shielding with holes, like they use over the barrels of shotguns, and over the exhaust pipes of mini bikes and the like.

Also, this has potential...  https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/finned-heat-shield-6inch-black-ed.html

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:25:31 AM »

Like the backstory and the concept for the hilt. Can't wait to see what you make. Point

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 04:29:18 AM »

Okay, I've done some more thinking on the design.

I'm definitely going to get rid of the slanted emitter.  I had the same thought as you, Ilyiss, about the perforated heat shields, and I'm going to make one for the emitter.

I'm also pretty sure that to subtly play up the speeder angle, I'm going to wrap the center grip section with header wrap.  

Finally, moving on to the pommel end, I'm going to extend the copper sleeve to about four inches, to give plenty of room for a speaker(as the steel sleeves will be narrow) and give a more distinct look.

As far as finish goes, my current thought is to leave the steel raw, and use heat to color the copper.  If I end up using aluminum instead of steel, I'll hit it with some aluminum black.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:50:37 AM »

Okay, I've done some more thinking on the design.

I'm definitely going to get rid of the slanted emitter.  I had the same thought as you, Ilyiss, about the perforated heat shields, and I'm going to make one for the emitter.

I'm also pretty sure that to subtly play up the speeder angle, I'm going to wrap the center grip section with header wrap.  

Finally, moving on to the pommel end, I'm going to extend the copper sleeve to about four inches, to give plenty of room for a speaker(as the steel sleeves will be narrow) and give a more distinct look.

As far as finish goes, my current thought is to leave the steel raw, and use heat to color the copper.  If I end up using aluminum instead of steel, I'll hit it with some aluminum black.

I've thought about header wrap, but have concerns about it being fiberglass, and not wanting to get fiberglass in the hand, and haven't played with it in ages.  I like the idea, and I am sure there is a way to work it out.  I love the idea of the extended copper, and the heat coloration.  I am excited to see what you come up with!

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 05:12:26 AM »

Surviving Order 66 wasn't particularly tricky for your favorite space tequila-swilling consular; it was the ten years that followed.  As the newly minted Sith Lord Darth Vader hunted down all the Jedi he could, the best one could hope for was to stay a step ahead, possessions be damned, and that's would led to our hero being chased out of a rather disreputable place of lodging wearing nothing but a terrified look and carrying nothing at all, especially not his lightsaber.  A small price to pay for one's life, if you ask me, but it left one needing a replacement as quickly as possible.  So, after clothing himself, the consular took to the nearest junkyard, hastily fabricated a synthetic khyber crystal and assembling a hilt out of scrap speeder parts.  It was ugly, and it was red, but with wisdom comes the realization that it's what's on the inside that counts.

So, backstory aside, here'a my absolutely garbage concept drawing.  I'm hoping that you guys can give me some feedback and offer up ideas to help me improve the design and bring out the saber's colorful origins.

Bravo on the back story!  I like the details not to mention the "scavenged" feel to your hilt.  I'd like to see you take this from inception to execution.  Keep up the great work!

Also, a tangent: you should think about writing something longer (e.g. short story).  To give you an idea, check out the Fan Fiction section in these very same forums.  Some truly excellent writing is there!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »

I've thought about header wrap, but have concerns about it being fiberglass, and not wanting to get fiberglass in the hand, and haven't played with it in ages.  I like the idea, and I am sure there is a way to work it out.  I love the idea of the extended copper, and the heat coloration.  I am excited to see what you come up with!

Good point about the fiberglass, I may have to find a lookalike.

Bravo on the back story!  I like the details not to mention the "scavenged" feel to your hilt.  I'd like to see you take this from inception to execution.  Keep up the great work!

Also, a tangent: you should think about writing something longer (e.g. short story).  To give you an idea, check out the Fan Fiction section in these very same forums.  Some truly excellent writing is there!

Thanks!  I've been thinking about doing some more writing, actually.  I have plenty of material for this character in my head.

And now, a question for those who have messed with wiring before, is there anything else I'll need electronically?

This is a Nano Biscotte V4, 4xAAA battery holder and speaker and momentary AV switch.  Do I need anything else? I've seen mention of resistors.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »

Good point about the fiberglass, I may have to find a lookalike.

Look at hand wraps for boxing maybe, and put it on with some epoxy.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

TheDrunkenConsular
Knight Ensign

Light Side

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:52:56 PM »

Alright guys, I went to Lowe's looking for parts to build the Purged saber, and I came up with zilch.  I'm going to have to order the tubing online it looks like.  However, fear not!  I grabbed a length of black iron pipe and I've begun construction of a different saber, which a I call the Hunted!  Backstory, anyone?

Separated by several years and many lightyears, the Consular's brother also managed to lose his saber, though to far less embarrassing circumstances.  The Sentinel was on Coruscant, attempting to organize a resistance to the Empire when he was ambushed by Vader and the 501st Legion.  Despite his best efforts and near flawless execution of Juyo, he barely escaped Vader's wrath with his life, and his lightsaber was damaged irreparably.  After getting off of Coruscant, he constructed a new saber using the salvaged khyber crystal of his damaged hilt.

Here are the WIP pics:

The pommel is the lower part of an airsoft 40MM grenade, then a wire wrap grip and PVC doodad.  The PVC piece will be trimmed up and repainted before being permanently attached.  The upper part, between the PVC piece(which will hold the switch) and the emitter will be wire brushed to show the iron's dark color, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the emitter yet, but it will like be very simple.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 11:35:57 PM »

Alright guys, I went to Lowe's looking for parts to build the Purged saber, and I came up with zilch.  I'm going to have to order the tubing online it looks like.  However, fear not!  I grabbed a length of black iron pipe and I've begun construction of a different saber, which a I call the Hunted!  Backstory, anyone?

Separated by several years and many lightyears, the Consular's brother also managed to lose his saber, though to far less embarrassing circumstances.  The Sentinel was on Coruscant, attempting to organize a resistance to the Empire when he was ambushed by Vader and the 501st Legion.  Despite his best efforts and near flawless execution of Juyo, he barely escaped Vader's wrath with his life, and his lightsaber was damaged irreparably.  After getting off of Coruscant, he constructed a new saber using the salvaged khyber crystal of his damaged hilt.

Here are the WIP pics:

The pommel is the lower part of an airsoft 40MM grenade, then a wire wrap grip and PVC doodad.  The PVC piece will be trimmed up and repainted before being permanently attached.  The upper part, between the PVC piece(which will hold the switch) and the emitter will be wire brushed to show the iron's dark color, and I'm not entirely sure what I'll do with the emitter yet, but it will like be very simple.

Another amazing concept, and beginning execution.  Again, looking forward to seeing this come together.  +1

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Lady Agana Kath
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2130

Go Red or Go Home

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »

I like it

Point

Current Collection: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=36545.0   Want List: Menace CE, Graflex SE   
Darkside Points Please

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 12:14:25 AM »

Here are the WIP pics:

Wonderful back story (continuation), outstanding execution thus far of your saber!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: