Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RGBW... but no white?  (Read 5086 times)
kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 9

« on: December 12, 2017, 05:52:16 AM »

So... when I load my emerald drive up with the US Launcher, it gives me the 4 sliders, RBGW... but all the forth slider does not effect white at all... just a dimmer for my AV switch...

so.. no white?

Dominix v4; Emerald/Obsidian v4 - Liberator v3; Fire Orange - Dark Apprentice v4; V. Amethyst - Apprentice v4; Arctic Blue - Catalyst; V. Amethyst Obsidian v4 - Prophecy v3; Consular Green - Dark Initiate v3; Sunrider's Destiny

EvilOttoJr
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -21

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I know what's going on here.

The Emerald driver doesn't have an accent LED channel, just the 4 channels for the main LEDs. This gives you three options with an illuminated AV switch: 1. have it slaved into a main LED channel so that whenever that channel is on/off, the AV switch goes with it; 2. have the AV switch connected directly to the battery, meaning it's always on; or 3. replace one of the main LED channels with the AV switch. It appears you have option 3.

It's an option while you're buying the saber from US, but unfortunately it's a distinction you have to make in the order comments as opposed to the normal purchase menu; it's not very clear. Sorry if that leaves you with a less-than-desirable saber, but hopefully this at least cleared things up.

Current collection:
Emperor's Hand (Diamond, White AV Switch)
Dark Initiate V4 (Arctic Blue) (Mystery Box @RTX)
Dark Apprentice V4 (Silver) (Mystery Box Online)
And some OLD Ultrasabers!
Elder (Orange) (Copper Tube)
Tempest (Red) (PVC curved double-blade, complete hilt rebuild)
Archon V1 (Green) (PVC, hilt needs rebuilt)
Nemesis (Blue) (hilt rebuilt as sink tube)

Wishlist: Prophecy (Diamond), Quick Detach Coupler

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2766

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I know what's going on here.

The Emerald driver doesn't have an accent LED channel, just the 4 channels for the main LEDs. This gives you three options with an illuminated AV switch: 1. have it slaved into a main LED channel so that whenever that channel is on/off, the AV switch goes with it; 2. have the AV switch connected directly to the battery, meaning it's always on; or 3. replace one of the main LED channels with the AV switch. It appears you have option 3.

It's an option while you're buying the saber from US, but unfortunately it's a distinction you have to make in the order comments as opposed to the normal purchase menu; it's not very clear. Sorry if that leaves you with a less-than-desirable saber, but hopefully this at least cleared things up.
This is exactly how the Emerald is set up. -1 (assuming DS) for the thorough explanation.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

frankmoses
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 17

Light side points, please

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »

Thanks for explaining this! I won the Emerald and upgraded it to 4-channel, but you're right.  It came with a lighted switch, and I can't use the white. Glad someone cleared this up for me!!!

"You can‘t force people to be just and decent. Such qualities arise from within – they cannot be forced from without." - Qui-Gon Jinn

kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 08:37:55 AM »

This upsets me GREATLY as I have sent in this saber twice in the past 6 months; once, to get the Obsid. v4 installed onto my Emerald Drive saber, along with the Illuminated AV switch and again to replace the sound board when the mini-USB broke off, and NOT ONCE was i notified about this being a thing.

I guess I should have asked, since I noticed the loss on the W access the first time... but I just noticed the switch being effected by the fourth slider... this is a lot of money being sent back and forth for a very undesirable outcome that was never even mentioned as a possibility...

Hopefully I can find someone local to fix this I guess...

Dominix v4; Emerald/Obsidian v4 - Liberator v3; Fire Orange - Dark Apprentice v4; V. Amethyst - Apprentice v4; Arctic Blue - Catalyst; V. Amethyst Obsidian v4 - Prophecy v3; Consular Green - Dark Initiate v3; Sunrider's Destiny

kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:20:19 AM »

Is there a quick fix to this?
Could an amateur fix this?

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

This upsets me GREATLY as I have sent in this saber twice in the past 6 months; once, to get the Obsid. v4 installed onto my Emerald Drive saber, along with the Illuminated AV switch and again to replace the sound board when the mini-USB broke off, and NOT ONCE was i notified about this being a thing.

I guess I should have asked, since I noticed the loss on the W access the first time... but I just noticed the switch being effected by the fourth slider... this is a lot of money being sent back and forth for a very undesirable outcome that was never even mentioned as a possibility...

Hopefully I can find someone local to fix this I guess...
If you watch the videos explaining how it works, and it explains about the AV switch, then you would have know before you ordered it. Or at the very least had some questions. Now if you have spent a lot of money buying the saber then sending it back and forth for work without knowing everything about it or asking all the questions that is nobody's fault but your own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »

If you watch the videos explaining how it works, and it explains about the AV switch, then you would have know before you ordered it. Or at the very least had some questions. Now if you have spent a lot of money buying the saber then sending it back and forth for work without knowing everything about it or asking all the questions that is nobody's fault but your own.

Well you're awfully rude.
I sent my own illum AV switch, with my saber, to be added in when they installed my v4. The least they could have done was send me a quick email, as they usually do, asking or explaining that, FOR SOME REASON, this is how they set an illum AV by default... which honestly doesn't make sense to me.
Why would I want to dim my switch when I'm upgrading from a non-illuminating switch?
Why would I not want to utilize all 4 of my LEDs in an Emerald Driver?

I guess I'm more just disappointed that they are usually VERY good about communicating small details with me about any part of my orders or upgrades, and now I find out after two upgrade/repairs, that this is a thing.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

I sent my own illum AV switch, with my saber, to be added in when they installed my v4. The least they could have done was send me a quick email, as they usually do, asking or explaining that, FOR SOME REASON, this is how they set an illum AV by default... which honestly doesn't make sense to me.
Why would I want to dim my switch when I'm upgrading from a non-illuminating switch?

I guess I'm more just disappointed that they are usually VERY good about communicating small details with me about any part of my orders or upgrades, and now I find out after two upgrade/repairs, that this is a thing.
I didn't think I was rude at all, and I'm sorry if you feel that way. A lot of times when things don't happen the way we want them to, myself included, we want to blame another party. But that isn't always the right party to blame.

Maybe they assumed you knew? If you send in your saber and parts and say you want them installed it is fair to assume that you know what you want. Can you imagine if every single person that sent in a saber to have with done would have to go through and question and answer phase before the work was ever done? Between several emails, missed calls, voice mails, etc... It wouldn't even be worth them doing work like that.

Once again not trying to be rude or upset you, just trying to explain why it could have happened.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2766

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:01 PM »

You sent in parts to be used? This is very interesting. <strokes chin>

Anywho, please don't take offense, I'm sure tx meant nothing by it. Can you copy the specs of your saber from your account page on the website? This may help us determine the issue. Also, please don't take offense if we surmise that you may.....again may have gotten overly excited about ordering and missed something in the reading. It happens.

You may not want your switch to dim, but pulse can be applied to a single channel, so you can have the AV flicker. Personally, I was disappointed with the illuminated switch on the Emerald (too much hastle), so I had them swap it for a non-illuminated.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

kamoosekazi
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »

Maybe they assumed you knew? If you send in your saber and parts and say you want them installed it is fair to assume that you know what you want. Can you imagine if every single person that sent in a saber to have with done would have to go through and question and answer phase before the work was ever done? Between several emails, missed calls, voice mails, etc... It wouldn't even be worth them doing work like that.
Ok, fair point, I can understand this...

You sent in parts to be used? This is very interesting. <strokes chin>

Anywho, please don't take offense, I'm sure tx meant nothing by it. Can you copy the specs of your saber from your account page on the website? This may help us determine the issue. Also, please don't take offense if we surmise that you may.....again may have gotten overly excited about ordering and missed something in the reading. It happens.

This was the original emerald build I had made:
1 of : Dominix v4 (Emerald)
[Blade LED Color:Hot Pink for Emerald]
[Emerald Driver Configuration:4 Channel Emerald Driver - RGBW LED]
[Pulse Mode:Pulse to Bane's Heart]
[Battery Configuration:Li-Ion Setup for Emerald (Batteries Included *ONLY*)]
[Recharge Port:Recharge Port + 1.2A Fast Charger]
[Blade Length:36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option:UltraEdge Heavy Grade]
[Windows:Yes Include Windows in Emitter]
[Pommel:Regular Solid Pommel (No Sound) [Recommended]]
[Switch Type:*BLACK* NON-ILLUMINATED AV SWITCH]
[Blade Tip:Round Tip][Include Retention Screw Wrench:No Thanks][Include Blade Plug:Yes, Include Standard Plug][Include Saber Stand:No Thanks][Include MINI USB Cable:No Thanks][Include Covertec Clip:No Thanks][Install Covertec Wheel:No Thanks]

I later decided to try to add sound, so I purchased a v4 sound board. I also purchased an illum switch from TCSS.
however, due to a lack in diagrams/information, or maybe just the inability to find a solid source on obsidian/emerald board stacking, or just having a lack of electronics knowledge, or both, I was unable to put the sound and emerald together, myself.
So I sent an email, asking what it would cost for them to right my wrongs using the parts I already had. After getting a quote, I agreed, sent in EVERYTHING I had, including a li-ion cell/pack, switch, soundboard and emerald hilt.
They sent me a follow up email saying that the cell couldnt be used and I would need a new emerald driver, for liability sake.
I gave them the ok.
They told me my order would be out by the end of the day.
That's it.

Never mentioned the choices in lighting up the AV switch, which I feel should have probably been mentioned in the follow up emails... after seeing my new switch.

I mean, I obviously dont have a choice unless I happen to send in my saber again...
I just kinda wish I was given the option, or a helpful nudge at some point during my back and forth emails.

Like I expressed earlier, I think I'm more upset at the lack in communication, when so much other communication was already happening. My view would probably be different if I ordered everything with the lit switch and just didnt do my research.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 08:19:04 PM »

Looks like Ultrasabers installed the switch according to their recommendation for Emerald sabers. Which means dedicated to Channel 4.

If you don't want to send it back again, you could try to change it yourself or let it change by someone you know and who's capable of doing eletronic work (Caution: This voids your warranty!). Two options:

1) Wire it in series with one of the existing channels. Advantage: You have all 4 channels available. Disadvantage: it's only lit when that channel is used, and it's only as bright as the actual channel setting. Which means if the channel has 50% power, the switch will also have only 50% of its full brightness.

2) Wire it directly to the battery pack. Advantage: All 4 channels are available and the switch always has full brightness. Disadvantage: The switch is always lit, even when the saber is turned off. Which means high battery drain - stand-by time about 2 days. With "In Series" or a non-illuminated switch you'd have weeks or even months of stand-by time.

And don't forget to wire the 4th channel to the LED after changing the switch configuration. Otherwise you still won't be able to use White Wink

You're right, they should have asked. On the other hand, I also understand tx's aspect...maybe the just assumed you're aware of the different options the switch can be configured on an Emerald saber.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: