Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The signature fade in/fade out of a light saber  (Read 7196 times)
Spirax
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.

« on: November 04, 2011, 01:26:34 AM »

How do you customize the PCB on an ultrasaber to produce the fade in/out effect shown at about 3:55 in this video?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHFgz09Kz7o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHFgz09Kz7o</a>

"The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world.
Through this I know the advantage of taking no action."

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 02:50:41 AM »

You can't. The Force FX lightsabers have LEDs in the blade to make the extension and retraction light effect, UltraSabers have a single LED in the Hilt of the saber. The LEDs in the blade tend to break when the saber is dueled with. UltraSabers are combat ready and do not have that issue. Hope this helps.

dark side points please

Darth Wraith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -187

Founder of The Grey Sith Order

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 03:27:31 AM »

You can't. The Force FX lightsabers have LEDs in the blade to make the extension and retraction light effect, UltraSabers have a single LED in the Hilt of the saber. The LEDs in the blade tend to break when the saber is dueled with. UltraSabers are combat ready and do not have that issue. Hope this helps.

Vex Is Absolutely Correct...

You Can't Have The Scrolling Effect On Any Lightsaber With Only One LED In The Hilt, However...

I DON'T MISS THE SCROLLING EFFECT AT ALL Wink!!!  Ultrasabers Product Is Vastly Superior To The Standard Force FX Product Wink!!!

They Are Fully Duel Worthy (Without Worrying About Busting Out The LED's In The Blade...)  And It Makes It Look Really "Short Bus" When They're All Busted Out...

Not To Mention The Fact That An Utra Force FX Conversion Has A Detachable Blade, and Looks Massively Better On Display, Than Having One Displayed With A Blade Just Hanging Off Into Nowhere...

Long Story Short... Forget About the Scrolling Effect Wink... You Won't Miss It... The Blade In The Ultra Converted Saber Is About 10 Times Brighter Than The Standard Force FX Saber's Blade...

I Am the Lord of Shadow!!! Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness... So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light!!!!!

Spirax
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 0

The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 01:08:36 AM »

Thanks for the insight, and here I was thinking they used high farad capacitors to slowly discharge electricity to the LED's at the hilt, but that wouldn't make sense as light would be visible throughout the blade on activation.

By any chance Vex, are you the same person [VeX] who is an absolute expert player in regards to the Heroes of Might and Magic series?

"The softest things in the world overcome the hardest things in the world.
Through this I know the advantage of taking no action."

Vex
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -402

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:11:25 AM »

Negative, sorry.

dark side points please

Baevar
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:34:37 AM »

I would certainly prefer the ability to duel over having any flashy effect like that.  Without the ability to really go at it, it's just a mantle piece and would not sufficiently stimulate my boyhood fantasies Sad 

(why did that sound dirty?)

Master Nero Attoru
Resident Master
Forum Elder
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 1641

Suns of the Force

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:49:50 AM »

I would certainly prefer the ability to duel over having any flashy effect like that.  Without the ability to really go at it, it's just a mantle piece and would not sufficiently stimulate my boyhood fantasies Sad 

(why did that sound dirty?)

We won't go there...

I agree with you though, the scrolling effect is nice but when you look at what you get in return - a brighter and VASTLY more durable battle weapon - it seems like a no brainer.  At least to me.

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -6

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »

I have a suggestion to approximate the fade in/out effect.

Adding a constant current  driver to the LED should give it a fade on/off effect as opposed to an abrupt on/off.

Adding a central core of fiber optic film inside the blade will exaggerate that effect.

Currently Own: Empty Shock Hilt

Former US Sabers (Sold them): Raven SS RGB, Catalyst Fire Orange, Guardian Pyrestone Orange, Consular VA, Dark Initiate Blue

Other (former, sold off) MR Luke ROTJ, MR Vader, MR Anakin, MR Mace Windu, MR Darth Maul Staff, Hasbro Luke, Hasbro Vader

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »

I have a suggestion to approximate the fade in/out effect.

Adding a constant current  driver to the LED should give it a fade on/off effect as opposed to an abrupt on/off.

Adding a central core of fiber optic film inside the blade will exaggerate that effect.

That sounds good to me(but what do I know. lol) If someone could explore this further....

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Qui-Tom Helms
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 149

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »

I think it would look something like a light being turned on by using a rotating dimmer switch.

=====================================================================
Zartom   Socerer (Healer)                             Qui-Tom  Sage (Healer)
Trenok   Bounty Hunter (Powertech)               Vartom   Knight (Sentinel)
=====================================================================

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 01:44:41 AM »

TCSS sells two types of constant current sources. One of them you can configure the output current using on board DIP switches. The other type the output is specified upon ordering. Both these drivers have ramped power up/power down (that's going to give you a fade on/off). They also sell a blade that contains a fiber optic film that gives the appearance of a central core. Coupled with the constant current driver, the saber will "sort of" look like it has that scrolling effect. I've seen it before, the fiber optic film enhances the fade on/off. The light does seem to travel up/down the blade but the effect is subtle.

Former US Sabers (Sold them): Raven SS RGB, Catalyst Fire Orange, Guardian Pyrestone Orange, Consular VA, Dark Initiate Blue

Other (former, sold off) MR Luke ROTJ, MR Vader, MR Anakin, MR Mace Windu, MR Darth Maul Staff, Hasbro Luke, Hasbro Vader

tiger salamander
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:55:34 AM »

I forgot to add in how feasible this would be......It should be straight forward wiring.

I'm not sure about the newer  version obsidians but the 1st version of the obsidian just passed the input voltage (that is the battery voltage) though the board to the LED's , hence the LED's still need the current limiting resistor. To use the TCSS constant current driver, the LED resistor would be removed (no need for a resistor because the driver will drive the LED at where it needs to be and will maintain that current). The Vout +/- from the obsidian would connect to the Vin +/- of the constant current driver. The LED would be connected to the LED +/- pads of the constant current driver.

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »

I have the MR Force Fx Construction Kit and it does have that subtle effect, not so much a scroll but more a "ramping up" of brightness.   Despite being a Force Fx the construction kit uses a single RGB LED in the hilt. I do think the blade has something to do with it. It is noticeably dimmer towards the top and people who have changed the blade have said that the LEDs are plenty bright and can evenly light an ultra blade. it's the white diffuser that is dimming the light.

SOTJ
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 156

Serenity, the way of the Jedi is serenity.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »

Vex Is Absolutely Correct...

You Can't Have The Scrolling Effect On Any Lightsaber With Only One LED In The Hilt

US have the scrolling effect! It's just at the speed of light Wink

empty
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 15

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 02:58:01 AM »

US have the scrolling effect! It's just at the speed of light Wink

It's a good thing MIT just made a camera that can capture images of moving photons.

http://news.sky.com/home/technology/article/16129688

Anyone here from MIT that can get them to take a video of an Ultrasaber powering up?  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: